06.12.12 Premiere

Samantha Barks In Stella McCartney — ‘Les Miserables’ London Premiere

Samantha Barks had bulbs flashing at ‘Les Miserables’ world premiere Leicester Square’s Odeon theatre in London on Wednesday evening.

In a carpet-dusting custom made midnight blue Stella McCartney gown, Samantha has come a long way from her I’d Do Anything reality show days. Clearly the new Éponine is a fan of the sheer-paneled cutout as evidenced by a similar look she modeled at the Hollywood Films Awards in October.

For a Hollywood newbie prone to committing freshman fashion faux pas, this perfectly tasteful gown, simple updo, and subtle jewelry is fine. But “fine” isn’t what a triple-threat ingénue is after when she’s just trying to make a name for herself in starlet-saturated Tinseltown.

And the fact remains: if you even think WHMWT (Would Helen Mirren Wear This?), that’s a sure sign it’s too old.

Sorry, Sam, but the fancy grandma beading really only belongs on une femme d’un certain âge.

Credit: Getty

Chloe Moretz' Camilla Skovgaard Ankle Wedge Boots

Chloe Moretz’ Camilla Skovgaard Ankle Wedge Boots

Isla Fisher In Willow - ‘Les Miserables’ London Premiere

Isla Fisher In Willow – ‘Les Miserables’ London Premiere

37 Responses to Samantha Barks In Stella McCartney — ‘Les Miserables’ London Premiere

1. LOVE December 6, 2012 at 09:48 #

STUNNING!
    I LOVED this so much ugh I hope Samantha starts getting more coverage. I do think one of the reasons I love it so much is because Anne and Amanda just didn’t bring it for me but regardless Samantha is still my favorite this time

2. Jess2 December 6, 2012 at 10:04 #

I agree that this look is ‘fine’ and that it isn’t a standout. I look forward to seeing how Samantha does on the tour and hoping that she can bring something that wows up.

3. olala December 6, 2012 at 10:14 #

if this is not a “stand out” then i don’t know what is!
    she looks great… there is nothing about this look that reminds me of Helen Mirren! lol

• tiffany December 6, 2012 at 20:01 #

+1 – in fact, I’d be mortified to see Helen Mirren revealing that much mid/back-section.

• JessCar December 6, 2012 at 20:24 #

I agree

• Beta December 9, 2012 at 20:43 #

me too, id dont imagine helen mirren wearing cutouts :S but who knows jeje

4. kane December 6, 2012 at 10:40 #

But would Helen Mirren wear this? Personally, I don’t think so. I actually quite like this.

• justme December 6, 2012 at 11:39 #

I agree. Helen wouldn’t touch this.
      The dress fits Samantha like a glove, I really like it.

• Odette December 6, 2012 at 15:46 #

I agree. The Would Helen Mirren Wear This system isn’t perfect at all.

I think this is a great look for Samantha.

• Leti December 6, 2012 at 17:53 #

ITA.

5. Linda December 6, 2012 at 10:42 #

I didn’t see it at first, thought the dress was a bit off but not sure why, but now all I see is Helen Mirren! That is fancy grandma beading if ever I saw it and now I just can’t stop seeing Helen’s face atop the dress!

6. mia December 6, 2012 at 11:04 #

i see where you’re coming from…. but i’m not blinded by “Helen Mirren’s” name in my head when i see this look on Samantha.

I reckon she looks stunning – the colour can be quite dull to be honest – but it surprisingly looks very beautiful in the image, and i love the middle section of the dress. The beading – i don’t mind, i think it’s rather pretty.

but i do have an issue with her hairstyle. It’s a little boring and odd because her forehead is quite big and her eyes are too small.

7. Nat December 6, 2012 at 11:23 #

Those sparkles on the top of the gown (plus the hairstyle) make it look slightly dated and not very Modern, but the cut of the dress is perfect on her, as she has such a tiny waist!

8. Carmen December 6, 2012 at 12:31 #

I think she looks great, in fact the best of the three ladies.

• Natalie19 December 6, 2012 at 13:07 #

I absolutely agree!

She definitely outshone both Anne and Amanda

She looks absolutely stunning!

it should be in BDOTW!!!

• Christine December 6, 2012 at 14:57 #

I agree. The fit is flattering and I think this was the best look between the three.

• Juliana December 6, 2012 at 15:39 #

Agree too!!! Beautiful!!!

9. moja31 December 6, 2012 at 13:11 #

“Sorry, Sam, but the fancy grandma beading really only belongs on une femme d’un certain âge”

… or a figure skating costume.

10. dee December 6, 2012 at 13:29 #

I think she looks gorgeous in the dress. A different hairstyle would have been preferred.

11. Lee Ann December 6, 2012 at 13:31 #

As you know i am not a fan of Stella but I like this look. I think that it is quietly elegant . I really don’t see Helen Mirren in this because it is too minimalist and she always likes a bit of frou frou.

12. ash December 6, 2012 at 13:46 #

Maybe it’s the sleeve length.. If it was a little shorter, it would’ve aged her less.

13. Heather December 6, 2012 at 14:12 #

Not sure who this celebrity is, but the dress is gorgeous. And Helen Mirren puts many women half her age to shame, so that’s not a real dishonor. The cut, the color, and even the illusion panel work so well in this instance. The dress is a stand-out even if the wearer isn’t.

14. CreoleLady December 6, 2012 at 14:22 #

Her hair looks mumsy from what I can see but nothing below the neck looks anything other than curvaceous and utterly fabulous. A Stella McC mashup that I actually like and actually fits (!).

15. Hannah December 6, 2012 at 15:14 #

I think that she looks stunning. IT is seasonally approrpaite, so flattering (she looks so so much taller than 5’7), and jus the right mix of safe and daring. I would rather that she wears this and doesn’t look offensive then she went for a risky dress (which as a newcomer is even riskier) and we had 3 red carpet disasters tonight.

16. Prudence December 6, 2012 at 16:08 #

okay FC, I dont know whats going on but it seems like you and I will never agree on anything again because she LOOKS GREAT. Hellen Mirren would NEVER wear this, are you kidding? how is this grandma-like??? BDOTW worthy for suree!!!

17. Agathe December 6, 2012 at 17:52 #

Masterful use of French, FC!
    Bravo!

18. Yeliz December 6, 2012 at 18:13 #

The gown fits her like a glove. I’m not really a fan of the beading, but the overall look is gorgeous.

19. Amy December 6, 2012 at 19:15 #

i strongly dislike this, the sheer part is original but it’s a fail for me

20. linshay December 6, 2012 at 20:19 #

Yeah this is terrible and the top especially is reminiscent of a gown my grandmother would wear.

21. Joy December 6, 2012 at 21:15 #

IMO a beautiful lesson on how to show skin and look classy all at the same time.

22. kate December 6, 2012 at 23:32 #

Ugh this looks like a skating costume to me- very tacky

23. TeaAtTwo December 7, 2012 at 00:26 #

I thought she was late 20′s until I just googled her, she’s 22!
    Helen Mirren wouldn’t have crossed my mind for this dress but now I would be interested in seeing her in it.

24. EmmaWoodhouse December 7, 2012 at 01:42 #

I would love this gown if it didn’t have that tacky sheer midsection. Helen Mirren has way too much class for that. Neck up Samantha is stunning and I would love the gown if it were solid blue. Covered up doesn’t have to mean boring. She’s a gorgeous girl.

25. Kathy December 7, 2012 at 02:52 #

I’m not feeling the appeal of that sheer midsection. Without it the dress would be forgettable as heck, but with it it looks strange. I also don’t like how the top is sparkly, yet the bottom is entirely sparkle-free. I would’ve preferred a gradient of some sort. And Samantha’s hair only makes the overall effect more matronly.

26. Nicole December 7, 2012 at 04:17 #

Well she sure looked so much better than Amanda Seyfred and Anne Hathaway. The beading may let you think grandma but the sheer panel and the cut is very young and modern. I would pick this over the two stars.

27. snowlion December 7, 2012 at 07:02 #

The top looks like it belongs on an ice skater or gymnast…not good.

28. Sarah August 3, 2013 at 10:49 #

I quite like this look, for one of her first red carpet appearances ever she aced it!!! But I don’t know I feel the dress may have looked a lot better in black (Not sure why I just feel it). As for the hair a bit of, think she was going for the messy bun and just hit and missed. But honestly I like her look over Anne or Amanda. Also she’s such an amazing singer and actor I feel I can’t judge!