Angelababy In Balenciaga – 2012 Mnet Asian Music Awards

For the Mnet Asian Music Awards on Friday, Hong Kong model/actress Angelababy stepped out in one of recently departed Balenciaga designer Nicolas Ghesquière’s sculpted looks for spring.

The futuristic-flamenco skirt and bell-sleeved crop top were a bold pick for the performer, who would’ve done right by Ghesquière’s rigorous design by sticking to the austere styling presented on the runway.

While Angelababy’s gold heels and tribal Pamela Love turquoise bib necklace made for creative additions, the latter’s Pamela Love cuff counterpart took geometry a shape too far.

Further damage was done by incongruous drop earrings, another superfluous bracelet, and pageant queen two-tone locks.

I’d be eager to see a do-over of the avant ensemble on a Balenciaga devotee such as Jennifer Connelly or Charlotte Gainsbourg.

Which actress do you picture trying this on for size?

You can buy Angelababy’s Pamela Love turquoise necklace from Barneys.com.

Credit: Style.com & Getty

Gemma Arterton In Roksanda Ilincic, Antonio Berardi & Jonathan Saunders - 2012 Marrakech Film Festival

Gemma Arterton In Roksanda Ilincic, Antonio Berardi & Jonathan Saunders – 2012 Marrakech Film Festival

Rihanna In Nini Nguyen - 'Nude' Fragrance Launch

Rihanna In Nini Nguyen – ‘Nude’ Fragrance Launch

26 Responses to Angelababy In Balenciaga – 2012 Mnet Asian Music Awards

1. Petra December 3, 2012 at 13:28 #

What a shame she didn’t style this skirt and top combo like presented. I just hate it when the clothes are so right but the overall image is so wrong.

• noo December 3, 2012 at 13:46 #

even black shoes and a bun would have elevated this!

• JOE1973 December 3, 2012 at 21:17 #

i agree ……..the ramp look is could have been styled better for red carpet by her !

• JOE1973 December 3, 2012 at 21:19 #

oops i meant ” ramp look is great and should have been styled better to suit the red carpet”

2. Betelgeuze December 3, 2012 at 13:45 #

I actually like that look.
    Though I wish the shoes were in a bit more muted shade of gold. And maybe lose the bracelet. But still.

• Yeliz December 3, 2012 at 18:21 #

I totally agree.

3. katie December 3, 2012 at 13:56 #

I think i could see Diane Kruger wearing this!

• dee December 3, 2012 at 14:33 #

Me too.

4. Ayesha December 3, 2012 at 13:59 #

the shoes are not the right color and the bracelet doesn’t work at all. I think Diane Kruger would definitely pull this off.

5. mirik December 3, 2012 at 14:00 #

The moment this look was presented on the runway I was eager to see it on Kristen Stewart.I thought that there would be a good chance that she might wear this for one of the twilght premieres, and was disapponted that she didn’t… I love the Kristen-Balenciaga cooperatio, it truly is a great fit.

6. Henrique December 3, 2012 at 15:00 #

Thanks god she’s not wearing another elie saab boring sparkly dress. I love this. The cuff doesn’t bother me that much

7. GRACE December 3, 2012 at 15:29 #

i actually really liked this look until i got to the cuff. that being said it’s not so bothersome that i hate the whole look… wonder if a diane kruger rerun would save this? :P it’s quite similar to diane’s previous look though!

8. Rebecca Z December 3, 2012 at 15:32 #

Not a fan of this dress because of the heavy top, but it is definitely over accessorized and busy.

• tiffany December 3, 2012 at 20:58 #

=1 yay on the skirt, nay on everything else.

9. manja December 3, 2012 at 15:37 #

I think she is wearing it very good,but styling is not good,too many things with already bussy outfit.loose the braclet,earings,change shoes& hair style and it couldve been a trully great look.too bad,as is it’s all over the place.

• Nat39 December 3, 2012 at 19:28 #

Ditto. Too bad she overwhelmed the already busy sculpted look with her busy styling, because the bold ensemble looks great on her.

10. Abigail December 3, 2012 at 15:37 #

I love this outfit! I would have preferred different shoes and for her to lose the bracelet, but very few people could have pulled this off.

11. Christine December 3, 2012 at 15:47 #

She is not making this work. She is best in Elie Saab designs but kudos to her for trying something new. But this seems a bit try hard on her, Sadly.

12. Noemi (WBiS) December 3, 2012 at 16:08 #

I love the skirt but not that top, they’re too much together, I don’t even like them on the runway. Their style is totally different. The top would be good with a simple bottom. Said that, the styling is a disaster, from the hair to the accessories. I hope to see the skirt worn by somebody with a better taste for accessories, maybe Jennifer Connelly or Diane Kruger. Maybe Dita von Teese, too.

13. amparo December 3, 2012 at 16:13 #

I think she looks better than the model on the runway.

14. Parvati December 3, 2012 at 16:59 #

There’s so much going on with the ruffles, that the outfit is busy enough not to need any accessories. Needless to say, I don’t like the way Angelababy wore this look.

15. Simon December 3, 2012 at 17:32 #

She look a mess.

16. TeaAtTwo December 3, 2012 at 18:24 #

I’m fine with the shoes with this interesting skirt but the jewellery should have been discarded and the hair should’ve been just black. But I don’t totally hate the cropped top even though I would’ve picked a non midriff exposing top.

17. EmmaWoodhouse December 3, 2012 at 23:09 #

Angelababy! I’ve loved her looks until now…this is just terrible though. The flamenco skirt and weird crop top wouldn’t EVER work for me. It’s a resounding no…and yes, her styling is bad. But even good styling wouldn’t have saved this look for me.

18. Taksi December 4, 2012 at 05:20 #

I kinda hate the outfit but I think she pulled it off; would have taken off that bracelet though.

19. Christopher Teoh Jing Xiang December 6, 2012 at 16:53 #

This midriff baring Balenciaga creation is simply a hard outfit to pull off,but the dramatic ruffle detail is the main attraction of the outfit!! Angelababy should have pull her hair back into a sleek ponytail and she should opt out the matching geometric wrist cuff that make her dramatic looks too far!! This is such a disaster, I hope she will up her ante fashion game next time!!