29.11.12

2012 ARIA Awards

The 2012 ARIA Awards held at the Sydney Entertainment Centre in Sydney, Australia earlier today:

Kimbra: There was no danger of missing the singer/songwriter on the red carpet at this event. She donned a printed and feather-skirted creation by Sydney-based designer, Anna Langdon. The aquamarine hue on the bodice of her dress was matched with silver toe-cap ankle-strap pumps and her coral glitter clutch matched her skirt. I like that a lot of thought went into this look, but I wish the lip colour was toned down a tad.

Ruby Rose: Sporting a part-cane-row ‘do, the TV presenter wore a fiery Romance is Born dress. There is a lot going on in such a small space, with the dress featuring fringed sleeves, a high neckline, a tri-colour in-yer-face print and a skater skirt. Add in the tattoos, the colour and the striking red heels and you have a rock chick look that Kat von D would be proud to rock.

Missy Higgins: There were more loud prints to be had on this red carpet, courtesy of the singer. She wore an Ode To None graphic print dress, which she styled with blue suede shoes and a gold Alexandra Blak cuff.

Jesinta Campbell: Sporting a pink streaks in her side braided hair, the model clearly got the printed-mini dress memo as she wore this fitted Ginger & Smart dress with electric-blue Casadei pumps and hot pink lips.

Jessica Mauboy: It appears the Jessica didn’t get the memo, opted for a glamorous Alex Perry gold embellished plunging gown.

Erin McNaught: The model/actress wore this gorgeous Emilio Pucci green goddess gown made famous by Jennifer Lopez last year.

Sarah De Bono: The singer certainly is not afraid of colour; wearing a vibrant canary-yellow Rachel Gilbert strapless dress with an embellished bodice with that bright red hair colour. An assortment of Amber Sceats jewels including spiked gold bracelets completed her look.

Ricki-Lee Coulter: While almost everyone on this red carpet wore an Australian brand, the singer opted for a hot-pink Thakoon dress. She styled her eye-catching dress with black sparkling Gucci peep-toes and a high bun.

Maude Garrett: The radio host opted for a sugary Camilla and Marc frock and dip-dyed hair. Why do I feel like she’s a tad too old for this look?

I have to commend the stars at this event for wearing original local designs, not wearing black and for embracing bold colours and prints.

Credit: Getty

Miranda Kerr In Helmut Lang - 2012 Footwear News Achievement Awards

Miranda Kerr In Helmut Lang – 2012 Footwear News Achievement Awards

Zoe Saldana - L’Agence & Rag & Bone - Target + Neiman Marcus Holiday Collection Launch Event

Zoe Saldana – L’Agence & Rag & Bone – Target + Neiman Marcus Holiday Collection Launch Event

30 Responses to 2012 ARIA Awards

1. Sara November 29, 2012 at 13:34 #

Sydney is definitely not afraid of colours! Nice to see.

2. andy November 29, 2012 at 13:37 #

tackfest……………….SERIOUSLY

• Beta November 29, 2012 at 16:39 #

yep

• Niki November 30, 2012 at 11:01 #

Yes, yes it is. As always the musicians of Australia use the Arias as an opportunity to make the world think we Aussies have no fashion sense. And FC, to answer your question regarding Maude Garrett, it’s because she IS too old for that look…

• Fashion Critic November 30, 2012 at 11:23 #

thought as much

3. Charlotte November 29, 2012 at 13:37 #

I like the dress of Kimbra, it’s really fun. But the make up is awful !

4. Agathe November 29, 2012 at 13:39 #

What a fun fashion event! Thanks for featuring it, FC!

5. june November 29, 2012 at 13:44 #

you did me proud, australia. bold, bright colours, interesting prints, australian designers and great shoes and accessories. i mightn’t like all parts of a look, but that’s down to personal preference, but because there were bad choices

6. dee November 29, 2012 at 13:50 #

I don’t like any of these looks. The top row looks they have on costumes.

7. T from Sydney November 29, 2012 at 14:07 #

Wow such a bright and colorful red carpet
    It was so HOT today i think it was 38/39 degrees celsius

My fav is Jessica Mauboy

8. robbie November 29, 2012 at 14:07 #

WOW each of these looks are so ridiculously tacky especially the first 3.

• rita November 29, 2012 at 15:19 #

THANK YOU! I can’t help but compare with the Asian awards we’ve seen lately and how classy they ALL were even if some of their outfits were’nt my favorites. I am all for bold colours and originality but this is just a HOT MESS all around :-(

9. Jess2 November 29, 2012 at 14:17 #

Oh god! Another ridiculous year at the Aria awards. Thankfully, Jessica did very well and is the best dressed here. Jesinta and Missy aren’t too bad but not great. Why on earth did Erin go for such a famous dress, I’m dying for some originality there and don’t get me started on the body-face colour differences thanks to a ridiculously orange tan. The rest are just really bad. Australia has so many amazing designers (Colette Dinnigan, Ruth Tarvydas, Zhivago etc) yet we always come up short at awards shows. Disappointed, again!

10. Christine November 29, 2012 at 15:14 #

What a colorful event. Love the prints especially Missy Higgins look.

11. vicky November 29, 2012 at 15:28 #

Only like the hot pink at the end, the rest look tacky and like they’re playing dress up (Halloween)..
    Perhaps because they’re all presented in one post makes the impact worse (my eyes have serious trouble with the first row) but since it wasn’t a big red carpet event for the rest of the world I understand why they’re all together.

12. CreoleLady November 29, 2012 at 16:16 #

Although I don’t like everything on everybody, I am enjoying the explosion of color. Fun!

13. Kathy November 29, 2012 at 18:38 #

This has to be the most costume-y, tacky and tasteless bunch I’ve seen all year. Jessica looks alright, but the dress is not the best fit. Everyone else just looks like they are trying too hard to be “artsy”.

14. Dhppy November 29, 2012 at 18:41 #

I think people in the music industry should wear colorful costumes, and apparently all of Sydney feels the same way. Though, I appreciate the emphasis on local designers, I liked the pink Thakoon the best. (Missy Higgins would do well to learn how to stand in skirts with slits that go up the middle.)

15. Yeliz November 29, 2012 at 19:15 #

I dislike all of these looks. Tackiness everywhere.

• Valerie November 29, 2012 at 21:46 #

+1 This red carpet is all over the place. Gowns mixed with Halloween costumes. It’s just… confusing. Only Jessica Mauboy and the pink thakoon dress get a pass. But still.

• Carla November 29, 2012 at 23:01 #

Completely agree!

16. Moxie November 29, 2012 at 20:15 #

Well, they’re certainly colorful. Jessica looks good. So does Erin, but J-Lo wore it better. I’d like Maude’s outfit (with different shoes) better on a tween/teen celeb.

17. Amy November 29, 2012 at 21:51 #

wow so much going on here.
    This is the perfect example of the situation when you take risks and it doesn’t pay off. Most of the looks have nice colors and prints but when put it with ugly cuts,unnecessary details, bad fitting and strange hair you get this: a circus.

18. Miri November 29, 2012 at 22:39 #

Did anybody watching the RC broadcast find it as puerile as I did? At least 75% of it was an ad for a certain department store (I won’t give them even more publicity here, but the one that isn’t Myers). It seemed like celebs weren’t having their outfits featured if they were wearing anything other than designers affiliated with this certain department store too.

I know Nine had to get some cash from this event, but it went a bit too far and gave the night a tacky start.

19. EmmaWoodhouse November 29, 2012 at 22:54 #

Just one horrific look after another. Kimbra, Ruby, and especially Sara are particularly bad.

20. pipsqueak November 30, 2012 at 03:36 #

Disappointed with Kimbra’s outfit. She has a great voice, a distinctive look and a nice figure. But this outfit was so busy and tacky she looked like a stuffed doll at the local crafts fair. Kimbra, please find a stylist and move to America!

21. Cherie November 30, 2012 at 05:06 #

I love the colour and the individuality.These are musicians, after all, who have so much creativity. I would be disappointed if they all looked as predictable as those on the many other red carpet events we see.

22. Laura November 30, 2012 at 05:33 #

Missy Higgins is standing like a trucker

23. Valeria November 30, 2012 at 06:15 #

Alex Perry, Elie Saab and Thakoon dresses are the only ones I consider clothing. I can live with Romance is Born dress mostly because of the wearer’s attitude, she does bring this look to life. The rest is Disney Parade costumes

24. argentina November 30, 2012 at 14:46 #

Most of the girls look like the audienceof the Comic-Con