Yao Chen joined Cate Blanchett on the red carpet this evening in Wellington, New Zealand for the world premiere of ‘The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey’.

The actress clearly didn’t want to go unnoticed on the red carpet, so she donned a beautiful Georges Hobeika Fall 2012 Couture ball gown.

This stunning look fills the void left by Zhang Ziyi, who used to be our go-to gal for pretty ball gowns.

Yao’s powder-blue tulle strapless ball gown with velvet touches and intricate embroidery details on the skirt gave me chills.

I’m typing covered in goosebumps as you know I live for a princess moment.

A small Kotur clutch, a half-up, half-down hairstyle and Bulgari drop earrings completed her BDOTW-worthy look.

I’m at a loss for words as to how spectacular this gown is.

Take a look at the close up to see Yao is sporting cute Elf ears.

Credit: ImaxTree

Stella McCartney In Stella McCartney - 2012 British Fashion Awards

Stella McCartney In Stella McCartney – 2012 British Fashion Awards

Rita Ora In Vivienne Westwood - 2012 British Fashion Awards

Rita Ora In Vivienne Westwood – 2012 British Fashion Awards

28 Responses to Yao Chen In Georges Hobeika Couture – ‘The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey’ World Premiere

1. anne - gaelle November 28, 2012 at 17:13 #

She look regal.Perfect. She steal the spotlight at the Queen Cate.
    Bdotw contender for me.

2. dee November 28, 2012 at 17:14 #

Gorgeous but I don’t like the elf ears.

3. Nat39 November 28, 2012 at 17:22 #

Spectacular (minus the distracting elf ears), a princess moment done right.

4. Grace November 28, 2012 at 17:39 #

It does seem a little OTT for a daytime premiere, especially considering what the other attendees wore. That air of desperation turns me off of this look.

• Ramsay November 28, 2012 at 19:51 #

She looks ridiculous
      I mean it’s a movie premiere – that dress is only appropriate for the oscars
      Plus she’s not even in the movie
      And it’s daytime premiere
      That dress is inappropriate on all levels

5. The Very Simon G November 28, 2012 at 17:52 #

GORGEOUS GORGEOUS GORGEOUS!!!

6. Joan November 28, 2012 at 17:53 #

I adore everything about this look!

7. lu November 28, 2012 at 18:36 #

Stunning!! I love this princess moments too and she is doing it so right.

8. LizLemoooon November 28, 2012 at 18:53 #

Better dressed than Cate tbh.
    She looks so elegant and regal, love the way she’s carrying herself, her hairstyle is neat but not boring and the jewellery and clutch are perfection. Love it when a look is note perfect like this. I’m not a ballgown type of girl but this look is absolutely dreamy.
    I know it’s a bit OTT for day but who cares?! It’s a premier, if you can’t dress up then when can you?

9. Moxie November 28, 2012 at 19:19 #

The elf princess! Not in love with the wings over the breasts, but otherwise a beautiful gown.

10. Aline November 28, 2012 at 20:31 #

*______* She looks so GORGEOUS! I can’t help myself, I just love princess gowns so much! Especially when done right like in this case. I’m blown away. Her styling is just so perfect. She wears it a thousand times better than the model who makes the dress look flat on the runway.

And the elf ears is a really nice touch. Really, just look at the guy gazing at her in the first picture, that’s a gratuitous picture of myself.

BDOTW!

11. asherlev1 November 28, 2012 at 21:01 #

Well, I sort of feel like everyone else should just give up now! Not sure if I’m remembering correctly, but is this the same designer who did that golden-ish gown for Emma Watson? Because I feel like this look just redeemed the brand for me, as I won’t too fond of Emma’s dress.

12. Amy November 28, 2012 at 21:33 #

i think she looks great

13. Yeliz November 28, 2012 at 22:52 #

This gown is one fabulous gown and Yao looks flawless in it, but 1. it’s WAY too much for a movie premiere and 2. does she even have a role in the movie?
    I think gowns like this should be saved for major award shows.

14. Hannah November 28, 2012 at 22:57 #

It’s not that I dislike this look, its just that it feels grossly inappropriate. If she is in the movie or has some actual connection to it then Iwould understand, but as far as I know she doesn’t, so wearing an actual Ball Gown to someone else’s daytime premiere doesn’t make sense to me, I guess.

• CreoleLady November 29, 2012 at 00:59 #

ITA. I thought this was a stray post from the Golden Horse Awards at first. Not the classiest move.

• Quinn November 29, 2012 at 07:29 #

I’m with you. It is so inappropriate.

15. Christine November 29, 2012 at 00:48 #

Adorable look but this maybe too OTT for someone who is not in the movie.

• vicky November 29, 2012 at 06:33 #

ITA

16. pipsqueak November 29, 2012 at 03:31 #

Gorgeous! A princess w/o looking too sugary.

17. EmmaWoodhouse November 29, 2012 at 04:06 #

I know it’s not her premiere BUT STILL. This is DIVINE. I’d want to wear a huge dress if I got invited to The Hobbit premiere! I only wish it had cap sleeves–never a fan of tiny strapless tops–but otherwise this is a breathtakingly beautiful look! BDOTW for sure, and I’m going to be honest and say that I LOVE the elf ears! So perfect for the event!
    CAN’T WAIT FOR THE MOVIE! :) and LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE this look :)

18. Rebecca Z November 29, 2012 at 04:08 #

Totally adorable. Love the ears.

19. Dhppy November 29, 2012 at 05:26 #

I don’t know, I keep looking around for her magic wand. I’m willing to consider any style of dress, but this is a little too Disney Princess for me.

20. Jess2 November 29, 2012 at 07:14 #

I also love a princess moment and Yao certainly delivers. Stunning dress and her styling is lovely. I think the elf ears are cute. I do agree with others about the appropriateness of the look though. It is a phenomenal look but a bit OTT for the context.

21. Marty November 29, 2012 at 07:21 #

She looks amazing!! BDOTW without a doubt :)
    BTW, Yao Chen is the New Zealand Tourism spokesperson for China….so I think she owed it to the country to look THAT good :)

• d November 29, 2012 at 12:33 #

think she is there in Nz to get married also :D

22. Pene November 29, 2012 at 12:26 #

waaaaaaaaaaaooooh

23. Taksi November 30, 2012 at 02:25 #

Meh, color and the detailing on the skirt is too sugary for my taste. Looks very young, though I can’t imagine it being age-appropriate for anyone.