15.11.12

Marion Cotillard For W Magazine December 2012

Marion Cotillard graces the December cover of W Magazine wearing Dior Couture, of course.

The French actress wore this same coat in black last week, whereas LeeLee Sobieski wore the same red coat during Fashion Week.

Tim Walker shot the cover and the accompanying editorial, featuring the actress wearing pieces by Jean Paul Gaultier, Chanel, Lanvin, Valentino and a very avant-garde Iris Van Herpen look.

With ‘Rust and Bone’ set to hit theatres on November 23rd, Marion talked to the mag about her acting inspiration, her childhood, her first American movie, ‘Big Fish’, and her Oscar experience.

You can read some highlights below. The whole interview can be read over at Wmagazine.com.

On her acting inspiration: “Both my parents were actors, and their favorite was Charlie Chaplin. My mother’s favorite actress was Greta Garbo.”

On whether she was a dramatic child: “I always wanted to express myself by being someone other than myself. I needed to experience the human soul—something more than just my soul. I wasn’t enough! When I was 10 or 11, I played an angry housekeeper in a play at camp. I was yelling at everyone. I remember the feeling I had when it was over. I really loved it.”

On her first major American movie Big Fish: “I was a big fan of Beetlejuice, and I really wanted to work with Tim Burton. I remember I kept the pages of the scenes under my pillow for a month. I don’t know if that’s why I got the part, but I know I wished for it every night.”

On her Oscar experience: “It was amazing. In France, we have a lot of actors, but you never get a chance to share your experiences. In America, you show the movie, and you talk about it with actors who know what it’s like to open your heart, soul, and mind to another person and let them in. I especially feel very close to other actresses…I love actresses. I love them! When there’s a movie without an actress in it, I miss something. Without a woman, it’s not the same.”

Credit: Tim Walker for W Magazine

Emma Watson In J. Mendel - 'Noah' Madrid Premiere

Emma Watson In J. Mendel – ‘Noah’ Madrid Premiere

Keira Knightley In Carven - The Ellen DeGeneres Show

Keira Knightley In Carven – The Ellen DeGeneres Show

9 Responses to Marion Cotillard For W Magazine December 2012

1. dee November 15, 2012 at 17:02 #

The pictures are interesting. Love the interview. She looks gorgeous.

2. Christine November 15, 2012 at 17:11 #

Very french. Apart from the scary tiny waist on the cover, I like the editorial.

3. Lee November 15, 2012 at 17:49 #

Wow I really enjoyed looking at these photos. It’s definitely different from the norm. We’re usually subjected to over-photoshopped celebrities posing awkwardly, peering out of the pages with come hither eyes. This shoot could of been a scene out of Alice in Wonderland or the Nutcracker – only raunchier. Marion’s acting skills were definitely put to good use here as she deftly created an artistic relationship between each garment and herself, without the one overpowering the other. Very well done indeed.

4. Linda November 15, 2012 at 18:06 #

Nicely done. W has better, more interesting editorials than most other magazines. The cover shot is cool with the hands grabbing at her through the red netting.

5. Hannah November 15, 2012 at 18:12 #

I don’t knwo if it’s jsut me but hte singular glove is really freakign me out! I love the editorial, my favourite looks are, naturally, the JPG and also the Chanel, largely because I think she was born to be a chanel, not a Dior Girl. Incidentaly my 2 favourite all time Marion looks are Chanel and JPG (Oscars and Baftas the same year, I also love her Ninca Ricci gown).

6. wh00p November 15, 2012 at 21:01 #

That cover seriously messes with your mind! So many awesome illusions. This is definitely a great editorial by W, but im always biased when it comes to Marion

7. Victoria November 16, 2012 at 09:29 #

I was going to say something meaningful, but that cover is just WOW.

8. EmmaWoodhouse November 18, 2012 at 12:57 #

The cover is striking, but other than I don’t like the editorial…it’s a bit weird and the creepy sensuality is putting me off. I do love the Valentino picture, though.