Rita Ora In Marchesa – 2012 MTV EMAs

Rita Ora opted to go big for the 2012 MTV Europe Music Awards held in Frankfurt, Germany on Sunday evening.

You can’t go much bigger than the blood-red Marchesa finale gown from the Fall 2012 collection.

Her embroidered illusion dress with a draped taffeta voluminous skirt was styled with a chic faux bob and of course her signature red lip.

I have to say I was blown away by this look. She looked stunning in real life. The picture isn’t doing it enough justice.

A gold Cartier ‘Just Un Clou XL’ bracelet, with a Just Un Clou ring, a LOVE ring, and a diamond and gold ring, all by Cartier completed her look.

For those of you not too enamoured with Rita’s style, how does this look fare for you?

Credit: Style.com & Getty

Naomie Harris' Pierre Hardy Laced Shoes

Naomie Harris’ Pierre Hardy Laced Shoes

Taylor Swift In J. Mendel - 2012 MTV EMAs

Taylor Swift In J. Mendel – 2012 MTV EMAs

41 Responses to Rita Ora In Marchesa – 2012 MTV EMAs

1. Nishta November 12, 2012 at 00:03 #

Her roots! It’s killing this beyond amazing dress for me!

• carolina November 12, 2012 at 01:51 #

I could not agree more. The hair is awful all round – a mess.

• gurlygurl November 12, 2012 at 08:49 #

AGREED! Beautiful regal gown ruined by that hair.. my eyes hurt :(

• Pati November 12, 2012 at 13:02 #

Exactly what I was thinking! The whole look is sooo beautiful, but I simply cannot look past those horrible roots!

• SilentVisitor November 12, 2012 at 13:31 #

• Moxie November 12, 2012 at 15:18 #

The hair is absolutely ruining this look.

• sara November 14, 2012 at 21:07 #

Not only is it the roots and awful color, but the lop-sided length. One of my biggest pet peeves is the dramatic difference between the eyebrows and hair color. Just looks awful, unnatural, and unkept. For me, this is a case of a gorgeous gown worn by the wrong person.

2. robbie November 12, 2012 at 00:34 #

this is a beautiful dress, but on rita hell NO!

3. Kathy November 12, 2012 at 00:54 #

This is a classic example of the perfect dress on the wrong person. Karlie Kloss wore this in September Vogue (US) and she looked breathtaking. So did the runway model. Rita? No way. Her cheesy grin, clownish hair, and lack of elegance in general ruins the look.

• Laura November 12, 2012 at 18:34 #

• Jen November 14, 2012 at 23:22 #

Cheesy grin? So she should smile a certain way when wearing a dress like this? That’s ridiculous. I’ll admit that I don’t like the dress on her, but she looks happy and comfortable – I don’t understand why you’re bashing her for that.

4. Angela November 12, 2012 at 01:08 #

Whilst I enjoy Rita’s larger-than-life persona, this gown is overwhelming her small frame. This would’ve been overlooked had her hair not been unsightly just to top it off.

5. Parvati November 12, 2012 at 01:10 #

A beautiful gown turned quickly into Cruella Deville.

6. Carolina November 12, 2012 at 01:14 #

Annoying Marchesa, annoying Rita.

• tiffany November 12, 2012 at 21:14 #

+1 SPEAK, Carolina!!!!

7. EmmaWoodhouse November 12, 2012 at 01:32 #

This is a stunning dress (loved it on Marion Cotillard in her recent editorial) but on Rita–sorry but with the hair and makeup (and the tattoos) she just tackifies everything she puts on. A real shame.
    (LOL if Taylor Swift had showed up in this…:D)

8. Pedro November 12, 2012 at 01:39 #

Amazing dress but not on her!

Rita is always so trashy

9. Hermoine November 12, 2012 at 02:01 #

+1 to infinity!!

10. Odette November 12, 2012 at 02:10 #

What ruins the look is the fact that Rita Ora is wearing it because it means she wears her usual Electrified Frizzy Curls.

NEVER have your hair looked like you were zapped by lightening when wearing Marchesa.

And like Nishta, Rita’s roots are a bugger as well.

11. Sabrina November 12, 2012 at 03:19 #

Her make up looks so pasty. She needs a some sun. Also, her hair looks dry. The dress is OK.

12. Christine November 12, 2012 at 04:00 #

wow, this is a grand dress. I say why not wear it to a grand event. She looks nice!

13. Lyvm November 12, 2012 at 04:37 #

Love the dress and marchesa really but hair could’ve complemented the look better

14. CreoleLady November 12, 2012 at 04:52 #

The hair … awful. Garish is the word that springs to my mind. Too bad, I like the dress from the neck down. I guess one had to be there to appreciate the total look.

15. Jacky November 12, 2012 at 06:52 #

The hair is what to blame !

16. pipsqueak November 12, 2012 at 07:23 #

The Nicki Minaj + Katy Perry + Rihanna posse needs a 4th member. Rita Ora fits right in. I can’t take this girl or her style seriously.

17. Lola November 12, 2012 at 07:34 #

Yes. Finally – yes yes yes!

I hated this dress on the runway, but Rita wears the hell out of it.

But WHY oh why does this girl insist on bleaching the hell out of her hair? Blonde hair never looks good on a girl with dark skin, with the exception of Rihanna (who only just got a pass, as she is hair chameleon). It just looks wrong.

Also, has the fact that she has been copying Rihanna’s looks been discussed on this site at all? It has been irking me for months! I’d love to know what other people think.

• Fashion Critic November 12, 2012 at 07:54 #

No it hasn’t but you are right.

You could compare this dress to Rihanna’s Elie Saab Couture dress which she wore to the 2010 AMAs.

Most of Rita’s look you can find a Rihanna equivalent.

• Natalie November 12, 2012 at 08:37 #

I totally agree, she needs to stop with the copying it’s driving me insane!

I think she has the potential to be original if she would dye her hair back to its natural roots!

• rita November 12, 2012 at 10:10 #

She looks fanatastic but I think Rihanna would’ve worked the hell out of this dress as she has a natural sexiness about her her. Besides, her height and dark hair would’ve looked more dramatic IMO

• Lola November 13, 2012 at 10:44 #

Thanks for your reply FC!

Glamour Magazine has picked up on the copycat issue too – although they politely referred to it as “Style Wars”. Here is the link if anyone is interested:

I don’t think Rita can ever compete with Rihanna. She really needs to find her own style – and those ugly sneakers have been done before (think Lily Allen).

• Fashion Critic November 13, 2012 at 15:03 #

You are right. she needs to find her own style

18. Yeliz November 12, 2012 at 07:42 #

I actually really like this. I know Marchesa isn’t our favourite fashion house but this look is pretty good. I agree about the roots though.

19. Hannah November 12, 2012 at 09:14 #

I really liked this, it’s fun and dramatic and suits the EMA’s.
    Some of the other looks are incredibly boring.

20. dressaddict November 12, 2012 at 09:36 #

This is soooooooo Nicki Minaj in Oscar de la Renta at 2011 AMA!!!

21. mia November 12, 2012 at 10:58 #

i’m gonna have to take your word for it when you say you were “blown away by this look” – because all i really see is just a mountain load of draped taffeta and terrible really TERRIBLE roots.

please – at least fix that hair rita.

22. Leo November 12, 2012 at 12:01 #

Right dress, wrong girl, wrong event.

• Amy November 12, 2012 at 14:00 #

ITA

23. Ruff November 12, 2012 at 12:41 #

Marchesa at its worst. Awful head to toe. Not a fan of shiny fabrics.

24. Joy November 12, 2012 at 15:09 #

She just doesn’t do it for me. Sorry. I like this gown and it could have been show stopping. I do agree, with other commenters that the shiny fabric is no good. Reminds me of the 80′s and not in a good way. I think for me it is her hair, smile and makeup that makes her come across cheap. This dress should have been sophisticated yet sexy.

25. Zar55 November 12, 2012 at 15:31 #

One of the most beautiful dresses i have ever seen, i fell in love with it from the first time i saw it on runway

26. jsshan November 13, 2012 at 10:11 #

embroidery top with voluminous skirt , It was a risky choice but somehow she makes it work.