Rita Ora In McQ Alexander McQueen – 2012 MOBO Awards

Rita Ora donned a second look which she wore to collect her ‘Best Newcomer’ Award on Saturday evening at the 2012 MOBO Awards, held at the Echo Arena in Liverpool, England.

The singer gave us our second look at the floral delights from the McQ McQueen Fall 2012 collection within a week.

Her black tulle tutu dress with colourful floral appliqués was styled with the same gold Dsquared² strappy sandals she wore on the red carpet.

Rita styled her look for a gold thin belt, instead of the utilitarian black leather belt the model wore on the runway, plus a selection of gold jewels.

I’m sure many of you will share my disappointment with the limp tulle neckline, but sometimes it isn’t possible to recreate the runway magic, or maybe this was deliberate in this case as not to obscure Rita’s face the whole night.

You may remember that Victoria Justice wore a similar dress back in May to the 2012 Met Gala.

Credit: Style.com & Getty

Nicole Kidman In L'Wren Scott - Derby Day

Nicole Kidman In L’Wren Scott – Derby Day

Victoria Beckham In Victoria Beckham - Universal City Walk

Victoria Beckham In Victoria Beckham – Universal City Walk

18 Responses to Rita Ora In McQ Alexander McQueen – 2012 MOBO Awards

1. Lil's November 5, 2012 at 10:08 #

Such a disappointment. The tulle made the dress. But I understand why she did that. It probably is very uncomfortable to walk with this in front of your eyes

2. Beta November 5, 2012 at 11:29 #

love the dress, I would have removed the tulle rather than wearing it down + I prefer the black belt and runway shoes too
    nevertheless, its cool to see a rerun of the dress and to see Rita wearing interesting looks :)

• Fashion Critic November 5, 2012 at 11:42 #

These dresses didn’t go to production so there is a possibility that this is the only one made, so I’m glad she didn’t remove anything.

• Beta November 5, 2012 at 12:03 #

ahhh ok, thanks for the clarification :)

3. Laura November 5, 2012 at 12:16 #

Rita doesn’t look comfortable. in fact she looks scared

• Christine November 5, 2012 at 13:23 #

That expression is putting me off the look.

4. Taytayreeves November 5, 2012 at 13:17 #

I’d personally prefer the tulle wasn’t on the dress all together , especially considering if its going to be that limp off the runway

• Taytayreeves November 5, 2012 at 13:18 #

I didn’t see fashion critics comment before I wrote this

5. justme November 5, 2012 at 13:22 #

Her dress looks sad :( I agree with Beta. She should have removed the tulle from the neckline or picked another outfit.
    I do like the gold accessories though.
    Her hair and makeup are their usual selves so let’s move on.

6. dee November 5, 2012 at 14:27 #

She should have picked something else to wear.

7. Moxie November 5, 2012 at 15:13 #

Another hot mess.

8. Chloe November 5, 2012 at 16:09 #

I actually like the tulle this way more

• Yeliz November 5, 2012 at 18:58 #

9. Nat39 November 5, 2012 at 19:34 #

Very messy styling, her gold accessories do not work well, the sandals are too strap-busy for this already super busy colourful dress, should’ve been a much simpler shoe, black accessories would’ve been much preferred, her tacky hair/makeup bring the look down as per usual, I actually wish that whatever it is happening from the neck up had been obscured with that tulle neckline.

10. Parvati November 6, 2012 at 02:40 #

Something about this is so fascinating, but had it been done better, I would’ve adored it. If I could say one word to the stylist, it would be “simplify.” I love the dress, I love how the contrasting tulle makes the floral print and colors stand out. However, the red lippie clashes with this completely. Despite being her signature, she would’ve benefitted from a lighter lip, or possibly berry. Gold shoes wouldve been passable if the makeup wasn’t to heavy, so I would’ve preferred ankle strap black pumps, like the model is wearing. There was just too much going on, but she gets points for taking on such a bold look.

11. Dhppy November 6, 2012 at 06:26 #

The dress is wearing her, and not proudly at that. No wonder she looks upset.

12. Jess2 November 6, 2012 at 12:33 #

I am really disappointed, I feel like this dress was wasted on Rita. Unfortunately I just find her style tacky, almost all of he time. I really love the dress on the runway, sigh.

13. EmmaWoodhouse November 6, 2012 at 13:17 #

The hair and makeup are horrendous as usual, so that aside…well, I like these floral dresses but I think this one should have been left on the runway. That tulle had to stand up, and doesn’t work well on the red carpet, where, as it is here, it looks positively bedraggled. I agree with Dhppy’s comment particularly. I do like her shoes though.