16.10.12

Rihanna For Vogue US November 2012

Rihanna graces the November 2012 issue of American Vogue which is her second cover for the fashion bible, having been previously featured on the (much more exciting) April 2011 cover.

The singer was shot by Annie Leibovitz wearing a red Valentino Resort 2013 lace dress, with the rest of her editorial seeing her wearing looks by Dior Couture, Michael Kors and Rosamosario.

Rihanna tells Vogue how busy she’s been adding the finishing touches to her seventh studio album, ‘Unapologetic’, which is out on November 19.

She also talks about new hair, dating and where she stands with Chris Brown.

On her new pixie-cut hairstyle: “Spur of the moment. My hair was supposed to be down to my ass [at the VMAs].”

On dating: “I would love to go on a date. You don’t think that? I’m a woman. A young woman, vibrant, and I love to have fun. And I have too many vaginas around me at this point. Seriously, all I want is a guy to take me out and make me laugh for a good hour and take my ass back home. He doesn’t even have to come up. All I want is a conversation for an hour.”

On rumours she was doing cocaine at Coachella: “They knew it was marijuana. It was completely clear to them. I just thought it was uncalled for. I don’t do cocaine. I don’t like being associated with anything that’s untrue.”

On the “Birthday Cake” remix with Chris Brown: “I didn’t think it could be anything detrimental to my career. I was on a tour bus ride between two cities, listening to my album, thinking, Oooh, maybe I should make this into a duet. And I started coming up with a bunch of people, and his name crossed my mind. I thought, we haven’t made a song in so long together…it could be a little shocking.”

On the public’s fascination with her relationship with Chris: “I don’t know if people will stop soon, but I feel like as soon as they have closure to it, they will. … But they’re not on the inside. They can’t see what I see, unless they’re sitting in my point of view. I guess I’ll learn to accept that.”

Credit: Annie Leibovitz for Vogue

Zoe Saldana For Net-A-Porter's THE EDIT

Zoe Saldana For Net-A-Porter’s THE EDIT

Bérénice Marlohe For Harper’s Bazaar Español November 2012

Bérénice Marlohe For Harper’s Bazaar Español November 2012

14 Responses to Rihanna For Vogue US November 2012

1. Hannah October 16, 2012 at 19:02 #

I honestly just find Vogue US so pointless nowadays, to me it is turning quickly into a gossip magazine. The editorial doesn’t look “fashion” at all to me, the cover is pretty bad, and I don’t se why she deserves 2 vogue covers in 18 months but no models do.
    Also, if you read the interview extracts, bar 1 sentence which is somewhat to do with beauty and/or fashion, they are all basically what gossip magazines are about.

• rita October 16, 2012 at 20:18 #

I agree with you! But as a black woman I am happy to see Rihanna covering voque magazine for the second time since women of colour are rarey if never covered on the bible of fashion. I would have prefered a model but i am happy Rihanna can represent us. On another note, I think fashion magazines interview should focus solely on fashion issue. Because we don’t care about their love life or whatnot otherwise it’s better to buy people magazine so we can read about their personal life.

• Kathy October 16, 2012 at 21:29 #

I find the interviews to be very well written, especially the ones by Jonathan Van Meter who does the cover articles frequently. Correct me if I’m wrong, but I think you might be getting the gossip-magazine impression from the excerpts FC has posted, which are the most personal and “juicy” tidbits, if you will. Vogue also publishes articles about photographers, many up-and-coming designers, and its editorials remain magnificent in my opinion. These are what give the magazine its substance and flavor. I can’t imagine it being anywhere near, say, PEOPLE or Us Weekly or even Cosmopolitan.

2. Ade October 16, 2012 at 20:00 #

This editorial looks like an America’s Next Top Model photo challenge.

3. Linda October 16, 2012 at 20:09 #

The editorial looks like something you’d see on America’s Next Top Model.

• TL October 16, 2012 at 21:36 #

• Saree October 17, 2012 at 01:54 #

It looks like an Annie Leibovitz shoot to me.

With that said the outfits aren’t what we would usually see Rihanna in, nor are they anything we haven’t seen, so the spectacle of the shoot I guess hides that.

4. Beta October 17, 2012 at 07:15 #

Rihanna is so photogenic! the cover is my favourite one this year

5. Laveena October 17, 2012 at 07:33 #

Bravo Vogue, I’m so happy to see Rihanna on the cover. Bottom line is, she’s one of the best singers in the world (forget pop star).

• Fashion Critic October 17, 2012 at 07:46 #

Sorry but I strongly disagree on the best singer in the world statement.

6. Christine October 17, 2012 at 13:48 #

Nice to see more women of COLOR on Vogue. No thumbs down to that statement. But the cover is not good. I like the editorial shots though.

7. Lee October 17, 2012 at 13:58 #

I love this shoot. I think it’s beautiful and striking bar one or two of the poses. Rihanna looks really thin in the face though, probably as a result of her pixie cut..? I love that she reinvents herself all the time… it keeps things interesting. Heck if I was as rich and famous I’d probably do the same :)

8. EmmaWoodhouse October 19, 2012 at 00:11 #

Very ANTM and not very professional. Also she comes off as very obnoxious to me. Not a fan.

9. kailani November 8, 2012 at 22:53 #

I’ll put my personal dislike for her aside to say that I really like the photoshoot despite the uncomfortable poses.