14.09.12

Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge and Prince William, Duke of Cambridge attended an official dinner in Kuala Lumpur last night, as a part of their South-East Asian Diamond Jubilee Tour.

The Duchess has failed to excite a few of you during her South-East tour, so how does this custom Alexander McQueen gown fare?

Sarah Burton created a lovely ivory Princess-like gown with a sweetheart neckline and a sheer white overlay, which was embellished with gold-embroidered Malaysian hibiscus flowers.

Catherine styled her dress with gold sandals, a Wilbur & Gussie shimmery gold clutch and gold jewels.

A half-up, half-down style completed her look.

Credit: Getty

Cheryl Cole In Stella McCartney - The X Factor Newcastle Auditions

Cheryl Cole In Stella McCartney – The X Factor Newcastle Auditions

Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge In Beulah - Assyakirin Mosque Visit

Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge In Beulah – Assyakirin Mosque Visit

49 Responses to Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge In Alexander McQueen – Official Dinner Hosted by Malaysia’s Head of State

1. wilwarin September 14, 2012 at 14:09 #

I love AMQ and this dress is nice but it laks AMQ magic… and i hate sarah burton for doing this to AMQ!!!

• noo September 14, 2012 at 23:02 #

my thoughts exactly! this has nothing to do with mcqueen, i would rather she say sarah burton or “alexander mcqueen” in quotations so we would know that we’re getting a custom piece with no mcqueen flair!

as for the dress itself, it rubs me the wrong way!

• Texas September 15, 2012 at 11:45 #

I agree so much with both your comments on the Alexander McQueen/Sarah Burton mess.

I really don’t like this dress at all. The only way I can see it working is on a Disney princess, and I don’t think that’s what modern royalty should be going for. Not even when an event calls for a ball gown.

I think it’s truly awful, and the fact that it’s clearly a custom piece (it has nothing to do with the AMQ style aesthetic) makes me really re-evaluate Kate’s taste.

• kristle September 16, 2012 at 18:34 #

The point is Sarah Burton is not Alexander Mcqueen..and she will never be!!

2. Cass September 14, 2012 at 14:10 #

Gorgeous! Love it.

3. Pene September 14, 2012 at 14:11 #

this dress is fit for the queen. For her I just find it aging

4. EmmaWoodhouse September 14, 2012 at 14:12 #

OH MY GOSH YES!!!!!!!!!! BDOTW!!!!!!! It is slightly too lownecked for my personal taste, but not tackyor inappropriate–I love this dress on her, she looks gorgeous and she styled it so well! This is up there with her gorgeous teal Jenny Packham. I hope that others are excited about this look too. Catherine rules! :) I also like the bright turquoise dress of the Head of State’s wife :)

5. Nishta September 14, 2012 at 14:13 #

LOVE IT! It’s so pretty and elaborate but still so HER. I’ll admit I’m a total sucker for ethnic inspired dresses and this is the first thing she’s worn in a really long time that I’ve loved! <3

6. Leti September 14, 2012 at 14:15 #

I think this is lovely. It’s probably among the most interesting things we’ve seen Kate wear. Let’s face it. Kate is not generally on the cutting edge of fashion, so for her, this is standout.

7. Shalini September 14, 2012 at 14:22 #

Very event appropriate and nice…reminds me of Princess Diana’s custom country oriented dresses. :) A true queen!

8. Rajini September 14, 2012 at 14:31 #

I am Malaysian and a big Kate fan. But I have to say that I am hugely disappointed with this dress. It has got to be the most dated looking outfit I’ve ever seen her wear. The gold is gaudy, the sleeves are unflattering and theres just too much gold going on. Go back to your demure pieces Kate. You were doing better with those.

• hero September 14, 2012 at 15:04 #

I agree… those sleeves are so fug. I think if this dress was in a colour , apretty pink or bright blue it would have been spectacular. As it is is something is definitely missing and I do not care for her hairstyle at all.

• noo September 14, 2012 at 23:04 #

i think she was trying to mimic the style of malaysian official’s wives who have lovely embroidery and elaborate cutting on their gowns! Sadly she failed miserably!!!

9. Betty Brandenburg September 14, 2012 at 14:41 #

Words fail me, and not in a good way.

• Texas September 15, 2012 at 11:47 #

Thank you! I can’t believe that there are actually people (most people it would seem) who like, no, LOVE this dress. I think it’s so awful!

10. Yeliz September 14, 2012 at 14:42 #

She looks stunning. This is definitely one of her best looks.

11. admmgz September 14, 2012 at 14:47 #

Beautiful but not my favorite look…

12. Pene September 14, 2012 at 14:52 #

Aging

13. CV September 14, 2012 at 14:53 #

Blargh. Don’t like it. And the air ages her a lot.

• Alina September 14, 2012 at 16:13 #

14. abasss September 14, 2012 at 15:12 #

Meh, she is gorgeous and can carry any dress, but this dress could have been magnificent and it isn’t. Looks like a bad Marchesa knockoff rather than a McQueen.

• Foteini P. September 16, 2012 at 11:06 #

15. Moxie September 14, 2012 at 15:23 #

Beautiful dress, but it looks nothing like a McQueen.

• Juliana September 15, 2012 at 04:04 #

My points exactly! The first time I saw I thought this was Temperley London, but never Alexander Mcqueen!

16. moja31 September 14, 2012 at 15:40 #

it’s like they designed this dress based off of a cartoon princess.

• Kaz September 15, 2012 at 06:58 #

+1 – so true!

17. Grace Patricia September 14, 2012 at 16:02 #

It’s AWFUL. All the styling makes her look 40.

18. dee September 14, 2012 at 16:12 #

The dress is OK. At least it’s not as boring as her more recent outfits.

19. Leigh September 14, 2012 at 16:33 #

The only thing I like about this look is her hair! For all her access to gorgeous clothes and shoes, she has the most boring style ever – same shoes, same hair, over cooked make up! Even if this dress is a departure from her usual, it does nothing for her!

Sigh!

20. Natalie19 September 14, 2012 at 16:56 #

I don’t like the dress/the look at all!!! i am really surprised with the amount of positive comments

It looks horrible!

• Lolo September 15, 2012 at 11:48 #

OMG me too! It’s like people are totally blind or something.

21. Vera September 14, 2012 at 17:19 #

Hmmm…. I don’t think I like it. I don’t like her tan, for starters. The dress feels like trying to acknowledge traditional Malaysian clothes, but the idea “it is enough to add something with glitter” just looks weird in such a classical gown. And the sleeves are so ugly! Maybe in other color, I don’t know.

22. Francois Bresmal September 14, 2012 at 17:39 #

How they look tall, this is so funny :D The dress is perfect!

23. Parvati September 14, 2012 at 17:58 #

She looks great! I think it’s one of her best looks during this tour.

24. Amy September 14, 2012 at 18:04 #

I was sorry to learn this was a McQueen because it’s not very exciting. I appreciate the effort (emebellishment and oriental influences) but this dress is not suited for a 30 years old,royal or not. It would have been slightly better without the sleeves though i don’t know if it would be appropriate.
    the Prabal dress beats this anytime

25. Zannie September 14, 2012 at 18:13 #

She had to have the sleeves though, in a nod to the country’s customs in terms of conservative dressing for women. While the gown would look much improved without the sleeves, it’s understandable why the gown has them.

The dress is event appropriate, and the ethic inspiration of the gown is a nice diplomatic nod to the country.

26. Eirwen September 14, 2012 at 18:48 #

Her concealer only proves how tanned shes got. Time to buy a darker one, go!

27. Aline September 14, 2012 at 19:18 #

This dress is just so silly. I understand the need to please the community you’re visiting, but surely they could have thought of something better than those gold flowers spread all over the dress. It doesn’t seem like there was much thought in the process of creating this dress. I really don’t like it.

28. irina September 14, 2012 at 19:21 #

Her style is boring…she always looks much older, always.

29. Laura September 14, 2012 at 19:24 #

O-M-G!

Sooooo gorgeous

30. Jazz September 14, 2012 at 19:54 #

Usually I am very nonchalant about Kate’s style- it is just put together and sleek (a wise but bland combo for my tastes). However, for some reason she looks so beautiful here! Sure, I would’ve forgone the sleeves but Malaysia is a very conservative country and the sleeves were appropriate. Not a dress I’d wear but she DOES look like a princess :)

31. Dhppy September 14, 2012 at 20:04 #

I hate this dress so much, I could cry. What on Earth does this have to do with McQueen? For “pretty” you go to Temperley, or Jenny Packham. McQueen shouldn’t do pretty (and for good reason, this a gaudy, overthought mess). McQueen does “edgy”. Sarah Burton would do well to remember this, before she waters down the label beyond all recognition.

• Sara September 16, 2012 at 03:35 #

This is how I feel pretty much every time she wears McQueen.

32. Dolly September 14, 2012 at 20:11 #

This has got to be one of the worst outfits I have ever seen her wear. It reminds me of something one would wear to a fancy dress party, horrible, and I still cant believe it’s Alexander Mcqueen. It is nothing like the brand’s usual aesthetic. It’s actually turning me off wanting to wear any of the clothes Sarah Burton designs

33. LeeAnn September 14, 2012 at 21:29 #

How is this McQueen?

34. molly September 15, 2012 at 00:22 #

The the style of embroidery reminds me of Temperley London. I like the nod to Asian culture in the dress, but this dress is so basic, I cant believe that it probably cost ten grand.

35. Christine September 15, 2012 at 21:50 #