12.09.12

Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge In Alexander McQueen – Gardens by the Bay Visit

On day two of the Duke and Duchess’ nine-day Diamond Jubilee Tour of the Far East, Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge arrived at Gardens by the Bay with Prince William, Duke of Cambridge.

This time the Duchess opted for a look by her go-to designer, Alexander McQueen.

She kept cool on a humid day wearing a white broderie anglaise belted skirt suit paired with Stuart Weitzman navy wedges.

I love the elegant, event appropriate dress, but I’m sure you are just as sick of seeing these wedges on the Duchess as I am. I would’ve given them a pass if they had complemented the look, but they don’t for me.

Credit: Getty

Cheryl Cole In Stella McCartney - The X Factor Newcastle Auditions

Cheryl Cole In Stella McCartney – The X Factor Newcastle Auditions

Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge In Raoul - Queenstown Visit

Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge In Raoul – Queenstown Visit

20 Responses to Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge In Alexander McQueen – Gardens by the Bay Visit

1. Ella September 12, 2012 at 06:21 #

LOVE the dress, but yeah, those shoes with this dress have got to go. I mean, come on, this dress is a blank canvas to do something fabulous. I own a pair of floral pumps I would be willing to loan her ;-)

2. yyc September 12, 2012 at 06:23 #

FC, no matter what shoes, kudos to her for not going sleeveless despite the hot humid weather here. So far, her three outfits have been so politically correct. :))

3. Pam September 12, 2012 at 06:31 #

I actually don’t mind the shoes- it’s the hair that’s getting on my ever last nerve. PUT IT BACK!!!!!

4. HM September 12, 2012 at 07:10 #

My first impression of this look was quite positive as I thought her pairing this with wedges was a smart way of doing casual-chic whilst still being politically correct (quoting yyc) & yet event appropriate. Then I looked at it again and I understand what FC is trying to say..this look is a blank canvas and the accessories stand out (in this case the navy wedges/clutch combo stands out in a bland/boring bad way). One step ahead, another step back eh Duchess? Lol!

P.S. I may be over-theorizing here but me thinks she loves her navy accessories as they easily compliment her sapphire engagement ring. Someone needs to call Prince William and tell him to get her an array of coloured gems…a few rubies or emeralds perhaps? Then maybe she’d pair them with differing coloured pumps/wedges (don’t hold your breath for Nicholas Kirkwood heels!).

5. Robert September 12, 2012 at 07:12 #

Ridiculous. Clueless. As usual.

6. Yeliz September 12, 2012 at 07:53 #

Yes, FC I am as sick as you are of seeing those wedges on her. I like the dress, though it’s nothing new.

7. Alina September 12, 2012 at 09:25 #

I’m sick of seeing the shoes and the heavy makeup.

8. millymolly September 12, 2012 at 10:36 #

The dress is lovely, the wedges need to die. I get that she’s trying to be just like the commoners by recycling her outfits, but who wears the same pair of shoes with every single outfit?? She wore those wedges almost daily during the olympics, surely she could’ve paired this with a cute pair of strappy shoes, even the nude pumps would be better!

• Fashion Critic September 12, 2012 at 10:39 #

“She wore those wedges almost daily during the olympics” – Exactly.

• elaine2 September 12, 2012 at 13:53 #

The wedges kill this particular outfit. The hair ……no words.

9. christine September 12, 2012 at 11:01 #

while i love the dress i just don’t see why alexander mqueen is her go to designer if this is what she is wearing by the brand. this is just not very mqueeny. there are so many other brands she could be wearing for this kind of look… sort of confusing to me. its like she is trying to be hip by wearing a hip label but with the most conservative style dress the label makes. ugh.

• noo September 12, 2012 at 12:21 #

I blame sarah burton for this! because she tones down the brand every chance she gets. she gives catherine and jessica chastain looks that lee mcqueen would have been ashamed to present at design school!

10. Laura September 12, 2012 at 11:08 #

Gorgeous look from the ankle upwards. But the shoes! I actually don’t mind them when worn with an appropriate look, but they in no way work with this. I have no idea what possessed her to team them with this otherwise great outfit!

11. carolina September 12, 2012 at 14:06 #

I wonder how many hours she spends on her feet. She clearly loves fashion, but I do wonder how any of us here, criticizing, would fare with her present schedule and with the expectations she must meet for dress and demeanor. I find some of the responses rather unthinking in that regard. My own opinion of this look is that it’s unexceptional, to the point of looking more like it came from a nice shop at the mall.

• Fiona September 14, 2012 at 09:55 #

Agree completely, I think she just doesn’t really “get” fashion the way we wish she would. There are some European princesses who are always in haute couture Elie Saab etc, but that wouldn’t suit sensible British royalty, but there is some middle ground. She should look more closely at Princess Mary of Denmark who always hits the mark perfectly for Princess-style in my opinion.

12. dee September 12, 2012 at 16:15 #

I can live with the accessories. I think the jacket and dress are lovely.

13. Laura September 12, 2012 at 16:21 #

Beautiful!

14. Kyriaki-Cyprus September 12, 2012 at 19:54 #

During their visit, they had to plant and water a tree, and she was standing on grass for a while. I think that’s why she wore the wedges. I like the top on this dress but I don’t like the skirt.

15. Christine September 13, 2012 at 02:21 #

She needs to step her shoe game up! You can still be classy and following the royal rules by wearing at least a new pair of shoes:)

16. EmmaWoodhouse September 13, 2012 at 13:19 #

I really like the wedges, but not with this look. They were better suited to the jeans and blazer combos that she often wore to the Olympics. The dress, however, is gorgeous. Her dresses tick all the boxes for me, though I do wish that she had more interesting shoes.