Before Venice Film Festival officially starts tomorrow, Kasia Smutniak attended a photocall yesterday afternoon to announce herself as the host of the 69th Venice International Film Festival’s Opening and Closing ceremonies.

The Polish-born actress and model wore a Jil Sander Fall 2012 dress for the occasion.

I would’ve loved this charming navy wool off-the-shoulder dress with a charming sweetheart neckline and a cinched-in waist which has the nude-illusion panel in the centre that matched her skin tone.

I find the contrast slightly distracting.

The actress was right to opt for the minimalist approach, keeping the look clean and only selecting neutral pumps, but I just can’t get over the glaring keyhole issue.

You may remember that Gui Lun Mei wore this same dress to the Taipei Film Festival Awards last month.

Credit: Style.com & Getty

Nieves Alvarez In David Delfin, Dsquared² & Marchesa - Solo Moda

Nieves Alvarez In David Delfin, Dsquared² & Marchesa – Solo Moda

Milla Jovovich For FLARE October 2012

Milla Jovovich For FLARE October 2012

13 Responses to Kasia Smutniak In Jil Sander – 69th Venice International Film Festival Photocall

1. Noemi August 28, 2012 at 11:13 #

I agree with you about the nude-illusion panel. When I saw the dress on the runway I really thought that there was a keyhole, so I don’t like the effect on her, which looks beautiful, anyway.

• Rash August 28, 2012 at 12:10 #

Now I had to look twice , zooming in zooming out to see whether it is a key hole or panel ! Till now I thought it was a key hole, damn I still think its a key hole :P

Back to Kasia, I agree its distracting , though I love her neck up!

2. Fiona-Brasil August 28, 2012 at 11:50 #

The dress is beautiful in the model.Kasia Smutniak showed how to ruin a perfect dress : wrong lenght, wrong shoes, wrong color of the nude-illusion panel, wrong atitude…Definitely a no, no!

3. Alina August 28, 2012 at 12:24 #

IMO, she wears it better than Gui Lun Mei, but the model still works it the best.

• Christine August 28, 2012 at 13:30 #

The model wore it best between the two.

4. EmmaWoodhouse August 28, 2012 at 12:56 #

I don’t like the keyhole there, period. I would much prefer the dress as solid navy blue. The illusion is very jarring on Kasia. Otherwise, her styling is pretty good–clean, simple. I wish she could have chosen better shoes…

5. TL August 28, 2012 at 13:03 #

What a beautiful and gorgeous dress, but worn by the wrong person. Wrong length, wrong shoes, and not-match-color nude-illusion panel.

Would love to see this dress on Keira Knightley, Diane Kruger, or Emma Stone.

• Fashion Critic August 28, 2012 at 14:10 #

“Would love to see this dress on Keira Knightley, Diane Kruger, or Emma Stone.” Yes, yes and yes. I would too esp Keira

• Liana August 28, 2012 at 14:54 #

Keira would have pull off that look perfectly.

6. dee August 28, 2012 at 13:50 #

I really don’t like this dress to begin with and it isn’t working for me on Kasia. The shoes are a snooze too.

7. Dan Oliver August 28, 2012 at 17:12 #

I love this dress but am so surprised that its not a key hole on the dress so yes its distracting that its not the same shade as her skin

8. Aline August 28, 2012 at 21:51 #

I get you guys’ point about the keyhole/panel, but I still think she wears it better than the model and Gui Lun, because she actually fills the dress. I think she looks quite lovely.

9. Dhppy August 29, 2012 at 01:17 #

The cut out is awkward looking on it’s own, the illusion panel makes it worse, like seeing someone’s Spanx through her clothes.