13.08.12

The Spice Girls At The 2012 Olympic Games Closing Ceremony

Let’s face it, the London Olympic Closing Ceremony was a bit of a snoozefest. Judging by the reaction on Twitter, I wasn’t the only one hanging on for The Spice Girls’ performance.

Posh, Ginger, Baby, Sporty and Scary didn’t let us down.

Arriving in the blinged-out black taxis we had seen them rehearsing in earlier in the week, Victoria Beckham, Melanie Brown, Melanie Chisholm, Geri Halliwell and Emma Bunton reunited to sing the hit that made them famous, ‘Wannabe’, as well as ‘Spice Up Your Life’.

The Spice Girls didn’t wear Giles Deacon, but Victoria did.

Her sexy strapless gown with tiers, ruffles and gold embroidery was inspired by look 3 from the designer’s Fall 2012 collection. I would’ve loved to have seen her in something more colourful, but Posh was always known for her LBDs.

I was a tad disappointed that Geri didn’t wear a union jack dress, but she did add an element of her iconic look by incorporating the British flag into the bustle of her red Suzanne Neville strapless mini dress.

The gold accessories included a tiara and Isabel Marant ‘Dicker’ ankle boots.

Emma was pretty in pink wearing a Maggie Cooke mini dress with structured glitter covered shoulders. The deep-plunging look was styled with glossy waves and silver sparkling peep-toes.

Sporty Spice, aka Mel C, was dressed by JD Sports. I kid you not. The singer had this white jumpsuit with a side-slit pant and a silver sparkling waistband designed especially by the leading sports fashion retailer. The look couldn’t have been more perfect and I’m thankful it wasn’t a shiny tracksuit.

The look was completed with silver sneaker wedges.

Mel B channelled her inner JLo, wearing an eye-popping Zuhair Murad jumpsuit. The nude skin-tight look was embroidered with intricate gold-sequin detailing. Wild waves and gold heels completed the look.

I have to say they all looked fantastic with easy looks capturing their Spice Girls personas.

Credit: Getty

In Amanda Holden's Closet - Louise Goldin For Topshop Studded Pumps

In Amanda Holden’s Closet – Louise Goldin For Topshop Studded Pumps

Bella Thorne's Miu Miu Glitter Heel T-Strap Sandals

Bella Thorne’s Miu Miu Glitter Heel T-Strap Sandals

37 Responses to The Spice Girls At The 2012 Olympic Games Closing Ceremony

1. Jessica August 13, 2012 at 09:15 #

I *loved* Victoria’s look.

2. Erik August 13, 2012 at 09:24 #

I cried when they performed. This was perfect.

• Sierra August 14, 2012 at 00:44 #

I cried too. This was a long time coming.

3. Kimmy August 13, 2012 at 09:44 #

I was waiting for you to post this! (Nevermind the other sites that have already posted, I was waiting for it here)

They all look fantastic! Such a throwback to their personas but very relevant today. Gorgeous!

• Anita August 13, 2012 at 15:06 #

I agree – I love how the updated their signiture custumes. I especially loved Geri’s updated Union Jack dress.

• Ahot August 13, 2012 at 17:45 #

+2!

4. Ioana August 13, 2012 at 09:45 #

I was looking forward to see them reunited… But I was disappointed, it was a very short show!

My favourite outfit was Emma’s :) she’s always been my favourite.

5. Beta August 13, 2012 at 09:57 #

Yeah!! (… im tempted to write Jeah! XD)
    I was also rooting for geri’s union jack dress :D
    except maybe posh who was a bit shy, the rest were reeeally enjoying it :)
    love the fierceness!
    I love sporty’s white jumpsuit!
    VB looked fantastic too, well, all of them did :)

6. jones19 August 13, 2012 at 10:00 #

Loved everything about their performance and the outfits were pitch perfect although I missed Mel B wearing some leopard print lol.

7. FykaAnuar August 13, 2012 at 10:13 #

They were awesome !!! Victoria looks like she’s really turning into “posh spice” for the first time in a very long time!! Who’s said she lost the “girl power” spirit.. Love Victoria Beckham she was perfect !!

8. Dan Oliver August 13, 2012 at 10:16 #

I thought it was a fantastic closing ceremony apart from jessie j creeping her way in twice :( spice girls were amazing and all looked great baby spice doesnt age

9. TeaAtTwo August 13, 2012 at 10:53 #

I spent half an hour watching Spice girls videos after their performance.

The Giles runway dress is beautiful and I hope to see it worn well but I loved the Victoria’s skirt and hair flowing as rode on top of the taxi. Though I did lol as she posed while the other ladies pranced up and down on stage.
    I would have loved more a prominent union jack on Geri’s dress.

• Alina August 13, 2012 at 11:15 #

“Though I did lol as she posed while the other ladies pranced up and down on stage.”
      + 1

All of them looked lovely!

10. Corinne August 13, 2012 at 11:41 #

They were absolute perfection. :D I loved how the cabs matched their personalities and how all the outfits were a nod to the Spice Girls persona. I actually thought the Union Jack detail on Geri’s was just enough of a reference to the old days. This was the Victoria I had been hoping to see in their last tour – I hated the look she had. The long hair and the train flowing behind her were just perfection. She was fierce!

11. robbie August 13, 2012 at 11:44 #

victoria was the only one that looked good. mel b looks a drag queen version of j lo.

12. Peach August 13, 2012 at 11:50 #

oops, I signed in as Corinne instead of Peach up there. ^

Anyway, what were Victoria’s shoes? I loved them.

13. vicky August 13, 2012 at 12:04 #

LOVED IT!!! Well worth the wait (george michael, hello?!)
    Everyone looks amazing paying homage to their Girlpower-days (but I feel that Mel B’s bust keeps getting bigger and bigger for every apperance)
    My only wish is that they should’ve had more time. As someone said, Jessie J and Emelie both got two apperances while the best part of the night only got about 5-6 minutes…
    At least Victoria got a little extra tribute during the supermodel segment with Jagger in one of her dresses! So proud!

14. Christine August 13, 2012 at 12:51 #

I loved all looks based on their personalities. Especially Mel B and Posh. Brings back memories!

15. M August 13, 2012 at 13:08 #

VB rocked the hell of that Giles dress. She has not looked this awesome in quite sometime. It’s good to see her in something other than VB Collection (not that I don’t like it), but something like this “Wows” me away.. lol

16. styler August 13, 2012 at 14:17 #

WOW! This was so much fun, hated how short it was!

I thought all the girls looks awesome, with great references to the hey days. My favoutite was Victoria Beckham – she looked amazing, the hair and the flowy dress atop the cab, it was beyond iconic!

And Geri’s union jack reference was very cute!

17. Jess August 13, 2012 at 17:10 #

I couldn’t wait for them on stage! I thought it was excellent!!! My only wish was for it to be longer, I could have done with an entire concert of just spice girls music!! They all looked gorgeous

18. ash August 13, 2012 at 18:12 #

Mel B killed that performance, she looked great too.. She looks and sounds like she was still on top ofher game..

My favourite look though was Mel C’s, I actually though that Phoebe Philo might have designed it.

• Peach August 13, 2012 at 18:22 #

+1 – Her trousers flowing during the cab ride was amazing. Sporty but glamourous. :)

• Annel August 14, 2012 at 00:23 #

Agreed! Her outfit completely captured me during the whole (far too short!?) performance.

• tiffany August 14, 2012 at 19:29 #

Mel C killed here. For me, BDOTW.

19. nokia August 13, 2012 at 18:36 #

Def BDOTW for VB

20. Yeliz August 13, 2012 at 20:55 #

My favourites were VB and Emma. The performance was great.

21. Larah August 14, 2012 at 06:48 #

Had to add my praise as well. All the girls were perfection. Victoria is so smart & Geri did just the right thing. Mel c is at her best, Mel b. is always a favorite & emma …how could you not love it.

Thank you Ladies.
    Their individual looks have evolved so much I want another album.

22. Girls games August 14, 2012 at 09:26 #

Wow! I am so exciting,I have read your blog we have got a lot information The Spice Girls At The 2012 Olympic Games Closing Ceremony.Emma was pretty in pink wearing a Maggie Cooke mini dress with structured glitter covered shoulders. I want also share more information about Play other Funny Games Do you like fishing? click “Girls games” http://bit.ly/Pg9gg0

Click this link “Girls games” http://bit.ly/Pg9gg0

23. st.james August 14, 2012 at 11:18 #

I loved all the girls and thought VB’s dress was lovely! But after seeing higher resolution pictures of her and the dress, i think she looked amazingly fabulous and deserving of BDOTW! When they cabs were in motion, the WAG-ish hair and flowing skirt made me sigh!

24. Saree August 14, 2012 at 14:45 #

Were Mel B and Mel C the only ones singing live – and only for parts of the performance??

Anyway – I think if they didn’t do that reunion tour, her Union Jack dress would be appropriate. Since she wore an updated replica for the tour, to me, it would have seen too nostalgic, even for how iconic and apart of pop culture it is.

All in all, they looked great considering how far they’ve come – successfully and in fashion. Shame it was so short though, I’d love a 20 year reunion show, one of in London or something.

• Fashion Critic August 14, 2012 at 14:46 #

Sounded like it

25. EmmaWoodhouse August 14, 2012 at 19:56 #

I wasn’t really a fan of any of their looks.

26. Thebaghag August 14, 2012 at 23:01 #

i think they all look better now than they did back then! Loved it!

27. Angela August 15, 2012 at 20:52 #

This was a very interesting performance, very creative! To me, the outfits overall were a 7/10. No doubt they all look lovely from a fashion standpoint, from a SG fan’s perspective, things could’ve been a bit better.
    1. I wish Geri would’ve had a larger Union Jack symbol, not just a little panel.
    2. I would’ve preferred something more gothic from Mel B, she is SCARY spice after all.
    However, I ADORE Mel C’s look, it fits her perfectly, and the glittery waistband and her sneaker wedges add perfect glam, and her ponytail matches the sorty vibe.