13.08.12

Supermodels Don Gold At The 2012 Olympic Games Closing Ceremony

click on image to enlarge

The London 2012 Closing Ceremony, which took place at the Olympic Stadium yesterday evening, was not only about British culture and music; it was also about fashion.

A selection of our finest and most iconic supermodels took to the stage showcasing British Fashion to its largest-ever global audience.

They were all dressed in pure gold to celebrate Team GB’s 29-gold-medals haul.

From left to right we have Lily Cole wearing an Erdem gold embroidered and lace cocktail dress with gold Charlotte Olympia ankle-strap pumps.

Stella Tennant rocked a Christopher Kane metal mesh and Swarovski crystal pant suit with a rockstar spiked hairdo. One of my favourites of the night.

Karen Elson was more serene wearing a Burberry gold-lace evening dress with a slit which revealed her Jimmy Choo gold ‘Private’ sandals.

Kate Moss stood out wearing an Alexander McQueen gold-sequined full-length gown with a plunging neckline.

Lily Donaldson wore a Vivienne Westwood Gold Label ‘Olympic Court’ gold-embroidered gown with an abstract baroque pattern detail, inspired by 17th Century English Royalty and the court of King Charles II.

Naomi Campbell was my favourite of the night. She blew me away, not only with her iconic, fierce walk, but also her Alexander McQueen gold metal-embroidered dress with a flowing shimmering train. With a gold leaf hair accessory she completed her look with Alexander McQueen wedges.

Georgia May Jagger, the youngest of the troop, wore a Victoria Beckham gold-metal cocktail dress with Giuseppe Zanotti heels.

Jourdan Dunn stood head and shoulders above everyone else, mostly due to her fabulous Stephen Jones gold-feather headdress, worn with a Jonathan Saunders gold-and-white leather dress.

For the ladies, David Gandy provided the eye candy wearing a gold Paul Smith suit.

The models’ three-minute portion of this ceremony hasn’t been met with great reviews. Some have asked what the point of it was while others have stated that some of the supers aren’t the best role models.

My question is where was Rosie Huntington-Whiteley?

Credit: Getty

Jessie J In Vivienne Westwood - 2012 Olympic Games Closing Ceremony

Jessie J In Vivienne Westwood – 2012 Olympic Games Closing Ceremony

The Spice Girls At The 2012 Olympic Games Closing Ceremony

The Spice Girls At The 2012 Olympic Games Closing Ceremony

25 Responses to Supermodels Don Gold At The 2012 Olympic Games Closing Ceremony

1. uk-jenn August 13, 2012 at 08:40 #

Incredible. Stand outs for me we for sure Naomi in McQueen and Lily in Vivienne with Lily and Stella following in their amazing Erdem and CKane looks.

I swear the Viv and McQueen are everything.

The Burberry is very boring to me. Could have done without but it works within the story to not have EVERYTHING be a strong editorial look. Happy also they included a man but would have been nice to see 2 mens looks opposed to just 1. Maybe E. Tautz should have done a look too?

Would have loved to what Marios Schwab, Meadham Kirkchoff, and Mary Katrantzou would have done!!?

I LOVE the Charlotte Olympias but why work with Zanotti…. should have worked with Kirkwood since he’s UK. Right?

2. bm August 13, 2012 at 09:02 #

Well, it’s about British fashion, not about the models behaviour. So really, I don’t understand about this whole controversy.
    Btw, Rosie now is shooting her 2nd movie “Mad Max” in Namibia with Charlize Theron, Zoe Kravitz and model Abby Lee K, I supposed.

3. The Very Simon G August 13, 2012 at 09:43 #

That’s exactly the question I asked after it too… where the HELL was RHW! She would have blown them all out the water.

4. noo August 13, 2012 at 09:59 #

Stella Tennant was the highlight for me! her suit was incredible imo and i couldn’t take my eyes off her!

5. Beta August 13, 2012 at 10:02 #

Im SO happy Miss Kate Moss and Naomi Campbell
    participated!!
    When I think of British fashion, Westwood, McQueen, Moss and Campbell are the first one to come to my mind!! they are absolute ICONS.
    the controversy is dumb imo.

6. jones19 August 13, 2012 at 10:08 #

I liked this portion. It was about the fashion, not the models.

7. Dan Oliver August 13, 2012 at 10:20 #

I asked the exact same thing where was RHW but they all looked amazing even thou i felt the segment was a bit odd but i suppose it was a celebration of everything britsh. Naomi was fierce

8. Alina August 13, 2012 at 11:08 #

They all looked stunning.
    David Gandy … *swoon*

• Yeliz August 13, 2012 at 20:43 #

9. robbie August 13, 2012 at 11:51 #

i laughed reading people complaining about this part, and how it didnt have anything to do with the olympics. naomi and kate look fantastic but karen elson just stands out for me with that gorgeous red hair.

i do have to say “best of british fashion” yet they have a victoria beckham dress, the other pieces are works of art yet her looks are basically the dresses you learn in “dress making for beginners”

10. T from Sydney August 13, 2012 at 12:13 #

RHW is filming a movie (cant wait for the press tour)

David Gandy is just UNF

out of all the ladies Naomi had the best walk hand down.

personally i thought this was a bit random but it didnt go on for very long so it didnt bother me too much. some people just make big fuss over something that lasted 3 minutes.

11. Umi August 13, 2012 at 12:30 #

I really enjoyed it, Kate Moss was my fave. I was kinda missing Agyness Deyn though.

12. Christine August 13, 2012 at 12:54 #

Stunning.

13. dee August 13, 2012 at 13:23 #

David Gandy…yum.

14. Hera August 13, 2012 at 14:32 #

FC, quick question, why was Georgia in that group?? I mean, I’m from Canada and have only seen her Rimmel ads, but other than that, I haven’t seen her walk many shows, or be on any magazine covers/editorials. Is she a really big model in the UK? Or is it a nepotism thing?

• Fashion Critic August 13, 2012 at 15:52 #

It was the perfect mix of:

Icons – Naomi, Kate and Stella.

The established – Lily, Lily, Karen, Jourdan and the new kid on the block – Georgia.

15. blalala August 13, 2012 at 15:04 #

Vivienne Westwood’s signature dress and McQueen’s are absolutely phenomenal.

Such a pity Victoria’s was included, there was HEAPS of other designers with so much better British fashion talents who’ve produced so much better dresses. I mean come on, based on the photo alone you can see how amateur and boring her creation is compared to other designers.

16. ash August 13, 2012 at 18:08 #

Loveee Stella and Naomi!! I wish that a Gareth Pugh was in the mix as well..

17. Incroyable August 13, 2012 at 18:37 #

Naomi was the best of the bunch! Not only was she in her element, OWNING the catwalk, she also wore the most beautiful look.

The only problem I had with this section, is why of all British “designers” was Victoria Beckham included?

18. Jane August 13, 2012 at 23:07 #

Jourdan looks amazing.

19. Lola August 13, 2012 at 23:36 #

Missing RHW and Agyness Deyn.

20. jessie August 14, 2012 at 06:26 #

can we talk about the volunteer uniforms, with the blue suits and the cute lightbulb hats? they made me so happy when i was watching the closing ceremony haha

21. EmmaWoodhouse August 14, 2012 at 19:55 #

Lily Cole, Lily Donaldson, and Georgia were my favorites :) I wish that RHW had been there!

22. Amy August 14, 2012 at 23:47 #

there’s some fantastic fashion in these pics, I’m not impressed by the Burberry dress. I don’t know what this has to do with Olympics games (sorry) but since it lasted 3 mins I don’t mind.

23. emily August 16, 2012 at 09:50 #