09.08.12

Lady Gaga For Vogue US September 2012

Lady Gaga lands her second American Vogue cover, but this time it’s the coveted September 2012 issue.

Mert Alas and Marcus Piggott shot Gaga for the cover, which was styled by Grace Coddington, donning a spectacular Marc Jacobs Fall 2012 purple mermaid gown.

The singer looks amazing on the cover, unrecognisable, but fierce nonetheless.

She talks to the magazine about her new fragrance, her ‘Born This Way Ball’ world tour, her meat dress and her music.

Be sure to check out this issue when it hits newsstands on August 14.

On her new signature scent: “The fragrance is called Fame. It must be black. It must be enticing. You must want to lick and touch and feel it, but the look of it must terrify you.”

On dreaming up a ‘fortress’ that lets her dance 50 feet above the audience for her Born This Way Ball world tour: “I really wanted to break the mold of what modern touring is now.”

On the reinvention of the meat dress for her tour: “We were talking about putting the show together and I said, OK, what if I was someone’s grandma and I was going to a concert tonight. How would I know that it was a Gaga show? And we all just sort of looked at each other and said, ‘The meat dress.’”

On her music-making approach: “I don’t really make records for people to listen to and go, ‘Wow, she’s a genius’. I’d really like you to order a drink, maybe kiss the person you came with that evening, or rediscover something about your past that makes you feel even more brave.”

Credit: Mert Alas and Marcus Piggott for Vogue

Petra Nemcova In Azzaro - Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Edition 50th Anniversary Pink Carpet Celebration

Petra Nemcova In Azzaro – Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Edition 50th Anniversary Pink Carpet Celebration

Sophia Bush In Ted Baker London - 11th Annual InStyle Summer Soiree

Sophia Bush In Ted Baker London – 11th Annual InStyle Summer Soiree

28 Responses to Lady Gaga For Vogue US September 2012

1. CreoleLady August 9, 2012 at 10:01 #

I can’t tell you how much I adore the color of this dress. An arresting cover, for sure. I have to laugh because my first thought on seeing her face was “oh, is that what she looks like?”

• Rash August 9, 2012 at 10:29 #

Lolz !

2. lee August 9, 2012 at 10:06 #

Wow…I think this is all I can say. This is an amazing cover.

3. DorianGray August 9, 2012 at 10:23 #

I don’t like it that much. Vogue America has had more beautiful covers.

• Yeliz August 9, 2012 at 11:39 #

• Molly August 9, 2012 at 20:21 #

• Kathy August 9, 2012 at 22:33 #

I don’t think it’s supposed to be beautiful, in the sense that it’s “pretty” and conventional. It’s meant to be striking, between the rich color of Gaga’s dress, the exaggerated curved silhouette, and her crazy, teased afro. It’s completely unique, because the hair makes you want to wrinkle your nose, but the dress makes you want to gasp in awe.

• e August 10, 2012 at 00:15 #

totally agree. the red banner makes the cover, too! take that away and it’s less heroic!

4. Rash August 9, 2012 at 10:29 #

Brilliant cover ! Loved the presentation , and how is lets the dress do all the talking ! Amazing !

5. Lee Ann August 9, 2012 at 10:33 #

sadly it doesn’t hit UK newsstands till weeks later.

6. Beta August 9, 2012 at 10:38 #

this is a bid departure for vogue us. I dig it :)
    enough of vanilla portraits, this has sass
    I love gaga by the vogue us team!

7. Shiva August 9, 2012 at 11:04 #

STUNNED was what I was when I saw the cover.
    Grace Coddington- your genius! Need we even say it another time!
    I am a fan of Gaga’s when I say this but I hope she herself got to know how you can create something ground breaking and arresting without necessarily resorting to gimmickry, from Coddington.

Been on the look out for it constantly all over the web but guess it had to here that I saw it :-)

8. Martin August 9, 2012 at 11:12 #

I think the cover is extraordinary. Not the biggest fan of the banner behind “VOGUE” (bit pointless if you ask me) but the image and the dress and the styling is perfection. Love how otherworldly and even slightly “ugly” she looks in face as well. Finally, a screamingly original and arresting US VOGUE cover.

9. the(un?)social butterfly August 9, 2012 at 12:27 #

I have really learned how to like this woman. She definitely knows her business and she has been doing entertainment with this sort of unique aesthetic that relates a lot to contemporary art and at the same time nods to previous pop references such as the mighty Madonna, all in a very cohesive and fun way. The cover is magnificent, Vogue has done a beautiful job and great choice indeed.

10. mm August 9, 2012 at 14:21 #

The cover is stunning. I love the full body lenght pic. I didnt recognize Gaga

11. Jov August 9, 2012 at 15:01 #

Is this real? American Vogue NOT looking like a glorified People Magazine edition?

Thank you Gaga for adding some actual art and fashion into this stale, boring magazine.

• Kathy August 9, 2012 at 18:09 #

Really? Because the “stale, boring” magazine styled HER, not the other way around.

12. Hannah August 9, 2012 at 16:37 #

I would love this cover if it wasn’t so overly-Photoshopped but as it is, it’s just sort of terrifying. The airbrushed face plus strange coloring makes her look alien.

• Natalie August 9, 2012 at 22:05 #

Totally agree Hannah, cannot even get past how weird Gaga’s face looks let alone how strangely elongated her body is in the dress. Uninspiring.

13. Kathy August 9, 2012 at 18:08 #

The color in this picture is off. Take a look at the purplish tone of her skin. And the dress is actually more of a fuschia, not this jewel-toned purple.

• Holly August 9, 2012 at 22:08 #

Yeah I thought this too! If you look at the larger version of the Vogue twitter pic for example, she actually looks normal, and like you say the dress isn’t quite so purple

14. robbie August 9, 2012 at 19:39 #

“The fragrance is called Fame. It must be black. It must be enticing. You must want to lick and touch and feel it, but the look of it must terrify you.” havent laughed so much in my life. who would wear a black perfume surely it will stain clothes?

the cover looks great, thank god for grace coddington!

• Kathy August 9, 2012 at 22:27 #

It’s designed to look black in the bottle but spray clear, like some perfumes are tinted green or pink but a much deeper color than that.

15. Fashion Follows Her August 9, 2012 at 22:21 #

Fabulous cover Gaga looks fab and a real move from her trade mark shock style which I love- refreshing. She does look beautiful.

16. e August 10, 2012 at 00:17 #

may i add to that hopefully this will turn vogue’s covers around from being so safe. please! this is bold, strong, amazing. kudos to wintour for going for this.

17. Christine August 10, 2012 at 01:09 #

I really like the cover. Only Gaga. Stunning!

18. EmmaWoodhouse August 10, 2012 at 04:13 #

I’m not impressed by this. It’s just strange, and I don’t think she’s fashionable at all, so her placement on the September issue of Vogue doesn’t ring right with me.

• emmy August 10, 2012 at 15:10 #

same here, im dissapointed to see her on the cover really