31.07.12

Vanity Fair’s International Best-Dressed List

The Duchess of Cambridge has been voted one of Vanity Fair’s most stylish stars of 2012.

This may come as a surprise to many of you since you, like me, haven’t been that excited about a look from the Duchess since her wedding dress, her Jenny Packham gown from earlier this year or none of the above.

Catherine gets a cover to celebrate her Best Dressed status (quelle surprise) as does the charming Jessica Chastain who can also be a tad inconsistent on the red carpet.

You’ll be pleased to know that Diane Kruger, Lea Seydoux, Sheikha Moza Bint Nasser of Qatar, H.R.H Crown Princess Mary of Denmark, Charlotte Casiraghi, Princess Alexandra of Greece, Fan Bingbing, Ulyana Sergeenko, Poppy Delevigne and fashion model Elettra Wiedemann made the list.

Jay-Z, Tom Brady, Prince Harry and Eddie Redmayne get well-deserved spots on the list, with the head scratcher being Alicia Keys.

Sorry Alicia.

Click here to see the full list.

Halle Berry In Jenny Packham - 'Extant' LA Premiere

Halle Berry In Jenny Packham – ‘Extant’ LA Premiere

Equipment Pre-Spring 2013 On ModaOperandi

Equipment Pre-Spring 2013 On ModaOperandi

26 Responses to Vanity Fair’s International Best-Dressed List

1. Anita July 31, 2012 at 17:02 #

Lol i thought the same thing. I understand Jay Z and some of the other randoms – but Alicia?! Really!

As for Kate – are we really that suprised that they chose her. Though I did laugh when they truthfully and hilariously put under her occupation “Wife of the Duke of Cambridge, future King of England” -LOL

• Elaine2 September 5, 2012 at 02:05 #

Great comment. Particularly in lieu of her recent performances. She is DULL.

2. Beta July 31, 2012 at 17:10 #

???!!
    kate doesn’t come as a surprise really. Alicia does, and as much as I think Jessica’s lovely, I dont really agree she’s the most stylish.
    Livia Firth, really??
    omg, I cant with this list

3. Rory July 31, 2012 at 18:08 #

No Zoe Saldana? No Kerry Washington? No Michelle Obama?!?!

4. Sarah July 31, 2012 at 18:32 #

Really? This list is so off in my opinion. Someone like Fan Bingbing or Diane Kruger should be number 1.

5. Ade July 31, 2012 at 18:49 #

KATE MIDDLETON??? Really, she has no style whatsoever, yeah she looks great in some stuff she wears, that’s not great style. I guess Vanity Fair has to do some ass kissing in hopes to get her on the cover

• Odette July 31, 2012 at 20:09 #

I know! Who the hell wrote that? I myself am far more stylish on a 20 year old student budget (aka no $) than Kate Middleton who has all the designers in the world at her disposal.

FC should school Kate on how to accessorize and not dress like a stylish 50 year old. Step one: Shoe Game. Time to wave adios to those LK Bennett and Prada snoozeville pumps.

Charlotte Casiraghi? Girlfriend looks like a fish out of the water in every outfit she wears.

Michelle Obama, Diane Kruger, Fan Bing Bing, Helen Mirren, Dita von Teese, Zoe Saldana, Miranda Kerr, Solange Knowles, Olivia Polermo, Elizabeth Banks and Ulyana Seergenko are devastatingly stylish.

Only three of my fashionistas are on that silly b-s list (pardon my French).

What do you think of my Devastatingly Stylish list FC and RCFA readers?

• Leeann July 31, 2012 at 20:41 #

I think that as a 55 year old I am insulted that you would think her stylish for a 50 year old

• kiwi August 1, 2012 at 09:21 #

:) :)

• Emi July 31, 2012 at 21:10 #

I don’t like Solange Knowles’s style and I’m not a fan of Zoe Saldana but for the rest I agree with you. Style is not only about what somebody wears but how he/she wears, so it’s about personality.

• Jessica August 1, 2012 at 11:05 #

I recall hearing once that Catherine’s true style has been quelled by royal protocols. Which explains the pumps, pantyhose, and being slightly subdued, if true.

6. robbie July 31, 2012 at 19:11 #

kate middleton? jay-z? jessica chastain? richard e grant? this list is filled with so many WTFs.

• Emi July 31, 2012 at 21:06 #

And what about Jean Pigozzi? I’ve never seen such awful shirts! And Alicia Keys? I wonder who made this ridiculous list.

7. Steph July 31, 2012 at 19:19 #

SO PSYCHED TO SEE FAN BINGBING ON THE LIST!!!

8. TeaAtTwo July 31, 2012 at 22:28 #

I guess for editors it’s a case of when in doubt put Duchess Catherine on the cover.

9. Christine July 31, 2012 at 22:38 #

Silly list.

• Alina August 1, 2012 at 04:55 #

ditto

10. Ramsay July 31, 2012 at 22:49 #

Some of these choices are indeed puzzling – Emma Stone is so much more deserving than Jessica Chastain to be on this list, if the magazine is after having a fresh face heading their annual list – Kate Middleton should certainly not be on the cover, or even on the list some might say – I guess the biggest injustice in my opinion is the fact that Diane Kruger is not on top of this list – let’s face it over the last year (actually few years) she has been incredible on the red carpet and her run at Cannes was the best for a juror in the history of the festival – this was the year for her, just like 2011 was the year for Ryan Gosling to be the sexiest man alive – and in both cases it was a no-brainer and the list lost its credibility for not going with the obvious

11. RNA August 1, 2012 at 00:02 #

Wow… that list looked like it was chosen with a blindfolded dart-throwing game.

12. T from Sydney August 1, 2012 at 02:01 #

Who would be in your top 10 of international best dressed list FC or anyone else here??

• Fashion Critic August 1, 2012 at 06:01 #

Not sure so many candidates

13. Jess2 August 1, 2012 at 02:13 #

This list certainly is a head scratcher. I agree that Princess Mary, Fan, Poppy, Diane, Farida and Erika are quite stylish but how Michelle Harper and Stella Mccartney got on this list I will never understand. I also have no idea how they cannot include Emma Stone, Rosie and Karolina Kurkova. Of the men I think Jay-Z, Eddie, Victor and Ozwald have good style but I think Ryan Gosling and Andrew Garfield should be on the list.

14. Kathy August 1, 2012 at 11:25 #

You know, I don’t think Kate gets enough credit for her fashion choices. Honestly? She’s a duchess, she HAS to be conservative and she can’t be expected to treat every event like an experiment lab. I think she’s doing a great job under her circumstances. She always looks flawless, no? Perfect hair and makeup all the time, the right balance of elegance and youthfulness, and who can forget those beautiful fascinators? If you ask me, knowing what suits you and dressing with class is very commendable.

• Anita August 1, 2012 at 13:35 #

But there’s a differenc in being conservative and being boring. Most of the other European royals (e.g. Mary + Victoria) manage to still inject a bit of personality and style into their choices whilst still remaining demure & “princessy”.

Kate’s choices imo are just plain and aging. I excused her in the begining because of the “pressure” but she’s been preparing for this for the last 8yrs so she there really is no excuse.

• Kathy August 1, 2012 at 14:23 #

She’s no more “boring” than any other royal at this point–they pretty much all wear the same silhouettes of knee length dresses, pantyhose, kitten heels, etc. with the same pastel/jewel tones. As for her outfits aging her, she IS a married woman and 30 years old. She’s not a teenager. But to each their own, right? No list in the world can satisfy everyone, and no opinion can be universal. Let’s leave it at that.

15. Courtney Grace August 3, 2012 at 00:25 #

I’m not surprised at all that Kate made the list. I am a little surprised, though, that Jessica got such a high honor. Although I have loved some of her outfits (Alexander McQueen), when her outfits aren’t amazing, they are usually pretty bad.