30.07.12

Queen Elizabeth hosted a pre-Olympics reception at Buckingham Palace on Friday for Heads of State and Government prior to the opening ceremony.

I was excited to learn via Twitter that Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge, wore Christopher Kane, but when I clicked through to the link, the picture I had conjured up in my head didn’t match the picture I saw in front of me.

The pale blue custom silk satin coat dress is very much what we expect from Kate – simple and event appropriate – but it‘s a world away from the edgy aesthetic which we associate with the Scottish designer Christopher Kane.

The single-breasted piece with long-sleeves, pockets and a belted waist is expertly tailored to give her a streamlined silhouette.

A nude box clutch and I’m guessing matching L.K. Bennett pumps completed her look.

I know many of you are constantly frustrated with the Duchess’ association with Alexander McQueen, so how do you feel about this look?

Should Kate stick to designers who suit her ladylike style aesthetic like Katherine Hooker and Emilia Wickstead or is she doing a good thing by introducing a wider audience to a designer like Christopher Kane?

Credit: Getty

Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge In Alexander McQueen - Queen Elizabeth II's Official Birthday

Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge In Alexander McQueen – Queen Elizabeth II’s Official Birthday

Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge In Roksanda Ilincic - UK's Creative Industries Reception

Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge In Roksanda Ilincic – UK’s Creative Industries Reception

22 Responses to Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge In Christopher Kane – 2012 Pre-Olympics Reception

1. Dorian Gray July 30, 2012 at 09:18 #

Sorry but I don’t like the style of this girl. I must say I appreciate her attempt to support a designer like Kate o Burton for McQueen but she should choose most iconic dresses. She’s a Duchess but she’s even 30!

2. Molly July 30, 2012 at 09:19 #

I had the same reaction as you FC, I couldnt believe that she was wearing Christopher Kane. Nothing cutting edge about this at all and it bothers me how that is a common thing whenever Kate wears designers like Kane and McQueen, she takes all the interest out of them. If she is going to go for the most boring and unimaginative look in the book, I think its about time that she just gets a personal dress maker like most royals do.
    Aside from what I listed above, this is still not a good look. The color isnt the least bit flattering on her fake tan, and the style of the coat combined with her ever boring hairstyle makes her look no younger than 36. And to no surprise, she was in fact wearing her nude pumps.

3. Alina July 30, 2012 at 09:21 #

Same old, same old …

• Anita July 30, 2012 at 16:54 #

Ugh! I’m tired of making excuses for her. I thought after the pressure of the wedding etc. that she would become a bit more relaxed and start to show some personality. Instead we keep getting the same thing over and over again.

• elena July 30, 2012 at 17:37 #

4. TeaAtTwo July 30, 2012 at 09:56 #

Kane’s resort 2013 collection has quite a few pieces that could have been great as they were or with slight modifications. I wish she would mix it up more with a wider colour palette, prints, lengths and shapes choice (not to mention hair, beauty and accessories wise). As an ambassador for the UK she should creating some interest.

5. Leti July 30, 2012 at 09:57 #

She looks lovely, as always, but this look is bland. I find the Duchess’s style most interesting when she wears mass market or high street labels. High end designers just seem wasted on her, except perhaps for formal wear.

6. Martin July 30, 2012 at 09:58 #

I think she would truly be doing a “good thing” if she introduced Christopher Kane and his true aesthetic to a wider audience by choosing to wear something that is reflective of him as a designer, rather than wearing a Christopher Kane piece which bears no resemblence whatsoever to what he actually stands for.

As it stands, there is nothing about this which screams Christopher Kane to me. No particularly interesting fabric, no subtlety in cut or detailing, no witty or ironic subversion of traditional codes of dressing. She doesn’t look bad, she just doesn’t look like she’s wearing Christopher Kane.

• CreoleLady July 30, 2012 at 11:14 #

+1. What point introducing different designers if the look doesn’t reflect the designer’s aesthetic? Hmmm, ice blue is not her color. Otherwise, perfectly unexceptional and event appropriate.

7. Laura July 30, 2012 at 09:59 #

I love Kate too but not this look. Maybe she should consult Samantha for advice? Since Samantha is the nearest to her in terms of logistic. With a body like hers, she can pull off many styles.

8. T from Sydney July 30, 2012 at 10:35 #

i saw on twitter as well she was wearing Christopher Kane, i was super excited until i looked at it. this looks nothing like a CKane design.

I LOVE the Duchess but her style is boring the crap out of me. she needs to stop dressing like someone in her 40s. she needs to look at Princess Mary of Denmark, MrsO, Princess Victoria of Sweden they all have public roles, they still dress conservatively but still stunning and different each time.

i think she is just scared of wearing something different and then getting the flack from the press, blogs etc..

9. couturecoco July 30, 2012 at 11:13 #

Actually it’s her hair that’s really starting to bug me….
    The coat dress is wonderful, the cut, colour and material are all serene to me. I see the Duchess first and her attire after which I think is how it should be. On this occasion she had to be careful not to draw too much attention to herself, she is working and if nothing else, she is a team player. This is no time for sticking out in the crowd for the wrong reasons.
    Generally, perhaps we should remember that she is not a model or a clothes horse and wearing identifiable high fashion clothes would hardly be appropriate to her position and role. Yes, she supports British designers but on her own terms. She wears the clothes and not the other way round.

10. Lee Ann July 30, 2012 at 11:20 #

The colour is nice but not on her. Will someone please get her off the tan and heavy make up.It is very aging and incredably tacky.
    I like everyone else was amazed that this was CK. I bet the one he originally designed had some leather trimming and did not look like a straight jacket. BUT and its a big but it is better tailoring than Emilia Wickstead.

11. Markness July 30, 2012 at 13:26 #

I wish she would take the younger pieces because this dress ages her. I mean Christopher Kane and McQueen makes amazing dresses, why not pick those? Maybe she could go Antonio Berardi so that she will look fashionable and effortless at the same time. Or how about some Burberry?

12. Christine July 30, 2012 at 14:04 #

Nothing exciting as usual.

13. robbie July 30, 2012 at 15:42 #

zzzz just looking at this picture makes me want to go back to bed. she is young and beautiful but dresses like someone twice her age.

14. noo July 30, 2012 at 16:11 #

This was a really bad look! even catherine style fans agreed with this! The color and cut are so basic and forgettable. Also a look like this doesn’t introduce the public to christopher kane as it lacks all of his style elements!!!

15. elena July 30, 2012 at 17:38 #

borring dress…same hair!! well basically nothing changed!!

16. Yeliz July 30, 2012 at 19:58 #

This doesn’t look like a Christopher Kane design at all. I was also excited when I read that she is wearing CK, but this is a disappointment for me. She doesn’t look bad, but she looks.. the same as always.

17. Sharon July 30, 2012 at 22:08 #

It’s true that some of the Duchess’s looks are kind of tame, but I remember that Diana took a long time to find her fashion niche also. It wasn’t until after Prince Harry was born that she really blossomed.

18. Grace Patricia July 31, 2012 at 00:13 #

I just don’t understand why a few people insist on calling her a “fashion icon”.

19. Courtney Martin August 1, 2012 at 03:11 #

I have never been wowed by her outfit choices, but recently, her choices have inspired me. Sadly, that has ended with this dress. It just lacks anything amazing and even the fit looks a little uncomfortable considering the way she is standing.