10.07.12

Serena Williams In Burberry – Wimbledon Championships 2012 Winners Ball

Serena Williams was all smiles on the purple carpet at the 2012 Wimbledon Champions Dinner held at the Intercontinental Hotel in London on Sunday evening after winning the women’s title the previous day.

Once again she wore a dress by one of her favoured brands, Burberry.

They have created some custom looks in the past but I really don’t like this look.

Something tells me that this sateen mustard dress with long sheer sleeves would’ve been better off as a simple strapless dress.

Christian Louboutin ‘Pigalle’ spike pumps, gold jewels and a black-and-gold Burberry box clutch accessorized her look.

Medium curly locks and glossy pink lips provided the finishing touches.

Credit: Getty

Freida Pinto In Raoul - 'Trishna' LA Screening

Freida Pinto In Raoul – ‘Trishna’ LA Screening

Bérénice Bejo's Carven Gabardine Skirt

Bérénice Bejo’s Carven Gabardine Skirt

28 Responses to Serena Williams In Burberry – Wimbledon Championships 2012 Winners Ball

1. carolina July 10, 2012 at 13:49 #

I totally agree, FC. Elsewhere I saw this touted as wonderful, her best look – but to me the fit is off, and overall, the style does not suit her body. I see her best suited by body-skimming (not hugging) clothes. The color’s good, though.

2. robbie July 10, 2012 at 13:50 #

if the dress was strapless it would be perfect everything else looks good though.

3. Christine July 10, 2012 at 13:55 #

It would have been better in a flattering color, strapless and long.

4. Protoss July 10, 2012 at 13:55 #

Man, that’s an ugly dress.
    With or without the sheer part.

5. Beta July 10, 2012 at 14:01 #

mmm, I love this look
    the colour and accessories are perfect
    and I do like the sheer sleeves as they tone down a bit the cleavage

6. Rory July 10, 2012 at 14:11 #

would have been lovely sleeveless.

7. Lara July 10, 2012 at 14:17 #

I actually think perhaps a different colour would have worked better, but I feel like if it was strapless, it would have run the risk of emphasising her arms and shoulders in an unflattering way. Don’t get me wrong, I get that she is a muscular girl, and nothing’s wrong with that of course. Some strapless looks don’t flatter her though. I don’t mind this look really.

8. Mrs. A July 10, 2012 at 14:40 #

I think she looks just fine and if the dress was sleeveless, I can only imagine the comments she would get about her built arms and how she should have toned them down/ covered them up more. She looks gorgeous IMHO.

• Rebecca Z July 10, 2012 at 16:02 #

I agree with these comments. I think a darker colored strapless dress would work on her because there would be less contrast with her skin tone, but this dress strapless would be too much contrast and either make her look too curvy on the bottom or too muscular up top.

• Leti July 10, 2012 at 17:50 #

ITA. I love how she styled this look from the hair to the accessories. I like dress, with the sleeves, and I like this color on her. Overall, a great look.

9. DivaDebbi (Beauty and Fashion Blog) July 10, 2012 at 15:48 #

Not a fan. Overwrought on every level.

10. Angela July 10, 2012 at 15:53 #

This is one of those occasions in which the dress is the real problem, not the styling. Serena’s styling is impeccable here, but the dress is very ugly and awkward around the sleeves and bodice. To not emphasize her shoulders, I would’ve used cap sleeves or even opaque sleeves. This doesn’t work for me.

11. su July 10, 2012 at 15:56 #

i dont like it at all! i think that athletic bodies need something more …quiet?

12. CreoleLady July 10, 2012 at 16:33 #

Adore her hair and the sass. So, so proud of the Queen of Aces. Although I see where the dress is going, it didn’t quite get there. Still, not bad, it’s just I’ve seen her do better.

13. Hannah July 10, 2012 at 16:49 #

Thsi si such a bad look, and so very ageing on her. I remember how beautiful she was at this event 2 years ago, and she just looks so much older and cheaper now – she needs to get her old hair & makeup artist stat IMO.

• Fashion Critic July 10, 2012 at 17:15 #

That is her best Burberry look

• carolina July 10, 2012 at 17:59 #

+1. Absolutely agreed. Comparatively, this newer look does not let her own beauty shine – it fights against it. She does look best in simple, body-skimming clothing.

14. Anj July 10, 2012 at 17:12 #

I disagree. The sleeves give better bust coverage and downplay her arms. The sheer is on trend, however tired it might be, but it’s also functional in this case.
    Also, the color looks good on her and her styling is fine.

• Linda July 10, 2012 at 17:43 #

Me too. She looks good, the clutch and ring are great.

15. Taylor July 10, 2012 at 19:22 #

I think she looks great…really owning the look.

16. Faellie July 10, 2012 at 19:22 #

Beautiful woman. Looking at the way that dress fits, without the sheer top I would be worried about a wardrobe malfunction. Looking at it style-wise, the sheer top looks cheap and nasty and the length is ageing.

• R5Bales July 11, 2012 at 15:06 #

I agree. Serena often has a hard time keeping the girls under control. Without the sheer top all we would see is boobies and muscular arms.

17. Rachael July 10, 2012 at 19:30 #

Saw loads of photos of this and if I’m honest, spent most of them staring at the very dapper Roger Federer…

18. Molly July 10, 2012 at 20:32 #

Love the color, love her hair, but the dress is just awful. I NEVER would have guessed that she was wearing Burberry! It looks cheap and unflattering.

19. Yeliz July 10, 2012 at 22:22 #

Strapless and another shoes, then it would be a good look. I love the clutch, though.

20. pam July 11, 2012 at 01:38 #

I think this is the best she has ever looked.

21. Chiklet July 11, 2012 at 11:29 #

I think the sheer net part looks good on Serena as it gives her a feminine touch. The bare hands would look too muscular and prominent with a strapless dress. Also the net helps the colour to blend from the dress to her skin tone. I think she looked fab! :)