14.06.12

Corinne Bailey Rae attended the Friars Club and Friars Foundation Honor of Tom Cruise on Tuesday which was held at the Waldorf Astoria in New York City.

The British singer wore a custom Sophie Theallet dress.

Her copper silk draped dress has a pink strap plus a pink layered asymmetrical hemline.

I didn’t like the dress to begin with anyway, but the styling really lets her down.

The black peep-toes, although really nice, don’t work with her dress.

I also find the bright pink lip too obvious and jarring on this occasion.

She should’ve opted for a colour less bubble pink and more complementary to her orange dress and skin tone.

A rare no for Corinne from me.

Credit: Getty

In Anne Hathaway's Closet - Paco Rabanne Chain Bag

In Anne Hathaway’s Closet – Paco Rabanne Chain Bag

Kate Mara's Alexander McQueen Mini Folk Tote

Kate Mara’s Alexander McQueen Mini Folk Tote

7 Responses to Corinne Bailey Rae In Sophie Theallet – Friars Club and Friars Foundation Honor of Tom Cruise

1. Shaina June 14, 2012 at 17:17 #

The only thing I like is her hair and the color of the dress against her skin. Everything else is a no.

• Yeliz June 14, 2012 at 18:55 #

I only like the color against her skin too.

• Christine June 15, 2012 at 05:32 #

2. Odette June 14, 2012 at 17:29 #

I love Connie because she always makes an effort. The dress was a great choice, as it looks amazing on her. I agree with Shaina- the hair and dress are fine but the lipstick and shoes are a NO NO.

3. Lara June 14, 2012 at 18:28 #

Lol @ FC “…singer looked beautiful wearing…”, but in the end you didn’t really like the look. It all looks sloppy to me, and I usually find her far more chic.

4. Marybeth June 14, 2012 at 18:43 #

I guess she was trying to pick up the pink in the strap and underlay by using that lippie. But it doesn’t work with the orangey color that dominates near her face.

Maybe if she had gone with a neutral lippie and then worn pink shoes it would have worked. But then, I’m not sure that dress is workable anyway.
    I’ll bet she picked it just for the main color, which really, really suits her.

5. EmmaWoodhouse June 20, 2012 at 14:28 #

I like the dress without the pink underlay, but the styling is a total no from me!