13.06.12

Katy Perry evoked a look from the flapper era when she took to the red carpet on Tuesday evening for the City of Hope’s Music And Entertainment Industry Group Honors Bob Pittman event at The Geffen Contemporary at MOCA in LA, California

The singer chose a vintage rose-coloured Nolan Miller silk slip-dress from Decades for the occasion.

Pairing the lace-trimmed dress with a long strand of pearls, an Ista ring, feathered clutch and silver Manolo Blahnik ‘Swan’ crystal embellished pumps, this look is straight out of the 1920s.

Fully committing to the look, Katy wears her grey-tinged black hair in era-appropriate finger waves, accessorized with a jeweled headband.

Kohl-rimmed eyes and pink lips finish the bold look.

A perfect homage, or too costumey?

Credit: Getty

Sofia Vergara In Michael Kors - Good Morning America

Sofia Vergara In Michael Kors – Good Morning America

Emma Stone In Rochas - 'The Amazing Spider-Man' Tokyo Premiere

Emma Stone In Rochas – ‘The Amazing Spider-Man’ Tokyo Premiere

33 Responses to Katy Perry In Vintage Nolan Miller – City of Hope’s Music And Entertainment Industry Group Honors Bob Pittman

1. rebecca June 13, 2012 at 19:42 #

Can she just for once please dress not in some sort of theme or costume? Too much to ask?

2. Brooke June 13, 2012 at 19:44 #

Too costumey. Drop the pearls and add a big vintage cuff; replace the shoes with a plain t-bar and we’d have a winner.

• lily June 13, 2012 at 19:57 #

This look is flawless we could believe she comes from a 1920′s film and that’s the problem : I completely agree this is too costumey !

• Jess2 June 14, 2012 at 13:57 #

You are a genius Brooke, your changes are spot on and would have made the look awesome!!

3. Lara June 13, 2012 at 19:47 #

Too costumey. And her make up, while flawless, is always so very heavy.

4. Nat39 June 13, 2012 at 19:57 #

A bit costumey but she carries it off with so much ease and natural charm, I can give it pass. The feather is a bit too much, could’ve done without it. Would’ve preferred more complementary gold/bronze heels instead of silver.

5. Shondrell June 13, 2012 at 20:09 #

Ooh honey no. This looks like what Miss Hannigan from Little Orphan Annie would wear for a night out on the town. Such a beautiful dress, a shame it’s been ruined by terrible styling.

6. robbie June 13, 2012 at 20:15 #

looks like she is wearing and old nightie. the shoes are the only appealing thing here.

7. priyanka June 13, 2012 at 20:17 #

way too costumey and she cheapens the dress with the styling. the make-up is also too much. it would be great to give her a make-under and prove that you can still have fun on the red carpet without going full-on clown.

8. Petra June 13, 2012 at 20:20 #

It is a no. She’s just trying too hard.

9. Naomie June 13, 2012 at 20:26 #

Cute idea, execution is debatable, but damn – I want her lipstick!

10. Jazz June 13, 2012 at 20:44 #

I could’ve done without the makeup. the rest of the look im in love with.

11. Yeliz June 13, 2012 at 20:46 #

I love the 20ies and I like the idea of this look but I just can’t love it. This dress looks like a nightdress to me.
    The shoes are the ones Manolo Blahnik created for Bella Swan’s wedding scene and I think they’re exquisite.

• admmgz June 15, 2012 at 17:20 #

12. DivaDebbi (Beauty and Fashion Blog) June 13, 2012 at 20:51 #

Halloween.

13. NOLAN MILLER FAN June 13, 2012 at 20:53 #

I am very touched that Ms. Perry honored the memory of the great American designer Nolan Miller who dies a week ago today: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nolan_Miller
    Nolan Miller Fan

• GGG June 14, 2012 at 04:35 #

I was just about to make this same comment! She is honoring an American fashion legend – I dig it! The timing is perfect. Class act.

14. dee June 13, 2012 at 21:00 #

She looks like she is wearing a costume. It isn’t working for me.

15. Betelgeuze June 13, 2012 at 21:55 #

I would quite like it if not for the dress. It just reminds me WAY too much of satin nightgowns my mother wears to bed.
    Otherwise – just OK, I come to expect either a theme look or sparkly dress that matches her hair colour of the moment from Katy Perry.

16. Ade June 13, 2012 at 21:59 #

I get what she was going for, unfortunately she didn’t take the right bus to the destination, this just looks like spilled hopes and dreams.

17. Bec June 13, 2012 at 22:29 #

I am so tired of Katy Perry. Every time I see a post on her now I just roll my eyes – over it!!!

18. Luiza June 13, 2012 at 22:32 #

Her make-up is sooo pretty! But the look is too costumey…

19. Marybeth June 13, 2012 at 22:33 #

Too costumey, and not in the usual fun Katy Perry way.
    Compare this look to Nicole Kidman’s Ralph Lauren look at Cannes, when she too was channeling a 20′s theme. (She was obviously reflecting her recent Hemingway movie.)
    What a difference! Perry is just wearing a period costume. Nicole was wearing a modern outfit with a period feel.

20. Linda June 13, 2012 at 23:49 #

The hair, makeup and headpiece are beautiful. The dress looks like a nightgown and I don’t like the shoes. Overall, it’s a fun look, typical of Katie, but I can’t get past the nightgown feel of it.

21. Jessa June 14, 2012 at 00:28 #

No, no no. Too costumey. Dreadful. Cannot believe how cheap this looks.
    Am I the only one seeing Rumer Willis in the first photo?

22. Nika June 14, 2012 at 01:41 #

if someone else wore this, it would be ridiculous. But for Katy Perry, it’s not too far from what you’d expect. It’s fun, and you gotta make room for fun somewhere in your life.

23. Rebecca June 14, 2012 at 02:13 #

Her eyelashes are taking over the makeup. I think they do that so her eyes won’t appear so round, but it’s blocking the shadow. The shoes and necklace don’t match her headband. It was kind of thrown together. :/ Hmm. I think the dress should be slinky and black, probably backless. I agree about t strap shoes.

24. Christine June 14, 2012 at 04:19 #

She stuck with a theme but the dress looks like a nightgown.

25. vicky June 14, 2012 at 10:31 #

Agreed, to costumey but not in a ridiculous way.
    And she’s too busty for wearing such a loose hanging/not supportive dress.

26. Shaina June 14, 2012 at 16:21 #

Too costumey, but I can forgive her. I do agree with the comment above…she is way too busty for teeny spaghetti straps. She needs more support in this dress.

27. Natalie June 15, 2012 at 01:47 #

I don’t like it, the shoes really brings the look down.

28. Jess2 June 15, 2012 at 11:26 #

I love the dress, it is gorgeous. However, I think the styling is waaaay off. The bag and shoes seem out of place and the pearls look cheap because of the yellow tinge. I think the makeup is a bit too dark for the dress.

29. EmmaWooodhouse June 18, 2012 at 14:38 #

DARN! I’ve had my eye on those Manolo’s for awhile, as they are gorgeous, but Katie’s tacky costume look is not what I had in mind for them! Unsurprisingly, I hate it. The top of the dress/slip is very unflattering on her, and everything else is just silly.