Amanda Seyfried In Givenchy – 2012 Tony Awards

My heart sank when I saw Amanda Seyfried on the red carpet at the 2012 Tony Awards, held at the Beacon Theatre in New York City this evening.

This look will give me nightmares.

I don’t think I have ever disliked a look worn by Amanda Seyfried, but as the saying goes, “there’s a first time for everything”.

The actress donned a Givenchy Fall 2012 purple slip dress with gold embellished details which was accented with an orange belt.

Seeing this look on someone as gorgeous and flawless as Amanda proves my theory, this collection was always going to be difficult to translate well on the red carpet.

What was she thinking? And the Tony Awards of all occasions.

Apart from those Givenchy sandals, I can’t find one good thing to say about this look.

Can you?

Fred Leighton jewels and an orange Givenchy clutch accessorized her look.

Credit: Style.com & Getty

Jessica Chastain In Marios Schwab - 2012 Tony Awards

Jessica Chastain In Marios Schwab – 2012 Tony Awards

Viva by Fergie

Viva by Fergie

60 Responses to Amanda Seyfried In Givenchy – 2012 Tony Awards

1. dani June 11, 2012 at 01:44 #

i can. she is gorgeous no matter what she wears plus i think it’s because Amanda always wants to be daring and different and her style is different.

2. Tom Kolovos June 11, 2012 at 01:44 #

AWFUL

3. Tea June 11, 2012 at 01:46 #

*open mouthed silent scream* (That’s a no)

4. Kaz June 11, 2012 at 01:46 #

Hmmmmm…. the lip colour and purple shade are nice…? (Although not together!)

5. GiGi June 11, 2012 at 01:49 #

I can think of one good thing to say: she looks better than the horrific model.

• Fashion Critic June 11, 2012 at 01:53 #

LOL..truth

• amparo June 11, 2012 at 02:03 #

Agreed!! The model is scary!!!

• Shaina June 11, 2012 at 02:53 #

I was just about to say that!

• Jeremy June 11, 2012 at 04:19 #

The Givenchy’s FW 2012 collection is probably one of the worst ones Ricardo has done to the house. I can’t even describe how much I hate it. I guess he’s gone “creative blocked” after the success of his Spring show.

• Jess2 June 11, 2012 at 13:56 #

So true!! I agree with everything FC said, this is just terrible.

• Morganne June 12, 2012 at 21:06 #

you are def right i thought the model looked super creepy and 2 be honest it scared the crap out of me when i first looked at it (i mean the model)

6. dani June 11, 2012 at 01:49 #

Amanda can wear a sack cloth and be gorgeous

7. Ashley June 11, 2012 at 01:53 #

So awful, she looks like a witch :/ It’s obviously she really tried to make this work…I hope she has another red carpet soon so we can forget this look!

8. Malinda Jane June 11, 2012 at 01:55 #

The dress itself is really beautiful, actually. If you take away the belt, the matching accessories and the red lipstick maybe we would be in business.

Aside from the hideous styling I don’t even think this look is event appropriate. It’s a little casual.

• Anj June 11, 2012 at 03:35 #

I agree. The dress is beautiful but there’s no law saying you have to use the runway styling and it perplexes me that she did.

• Nishta June 11, 2012 at 03:54 #

I totally agree. It kind of looks like a modified traditional Indian outfit to me. I could see it working with subtle black or dark gold accessories and nude makeup.

• Odette June 11, 2012 at 05:37 #

I agree about everything. Take away the orange and it would be lovely with sparkly strappy sandals.

The belt is to blame for influencing the clownish purple-orange combo.

• dee June 11, 2012 at 13:53 #

I agree with all of you.

9. Rafael June 11, 2012 at 02:06 #

I liked the dress on the runway but Amanda doesn’t pull it off; she don’t have the right attitude or poise to work this look.

10. Rafael June 11, 2012 at 02:10 #

I mean she doesn’t look awful she’s gorgeous I love her style as she likes to mix things up but this is not one of her best looks… But not the worst either

11. Emmeline June 11, 2012 at 02:10 #

I just saw pictures of Laura Bell Bundy, which is making me feel much more generous towards this outfit.

Amanda’s look is bad, but it could be a lot worse. At least she opted out of the choker, gloves and boots.

12. victor June 11, 2012 at 02:19 #

this look will be amazing without the belt… the dress is great but the belt is just hideous! the neon lip and clutch are ok, but the belto NOT

• CeCe June 11, 2012 at 06:47 #

I think if the belt was black and a little thinner, and with a more nude-ish lipstick it would have been o-k

13. DorianGray June 11, 2012 at 02:26 #

I like the clutch. Stop.

14. rebecca o June 11, 2012 at 02:39 #

I think it would have looked better with her hair down.

15. Violet G June 11, 2012 at 02:45 #

I actually find this look to be glamorous and alluring! I love the colour and exquisite detail of the dress and she is so polished from the shoulders up. I can fully understand how it may not be everyones taste though, nice of her to try something different.

• Sveva June 11, 2012 at 08:01 #

I totally agree. I actually love everything about this look, but my taste can be weird at times!

16. Fer June 11, 2012 at 02:58 #

Jeeezzzz, hideous belt.

17. Christine June 11, 2012 at 03:09 #

Not feeling it. She looks horrid. Not a fan of the collection to begin with.

18. Marybeth June 11, 2012 at 03:12 #

Oh my.
    This might not be quite so bad if you took away the neon orange belt…
    and the neon orange clutch…
    and the neon orange lipstick…
    and….
    Well, even after taking away all that, the rest isn’t so great.

19. Carla June 11, 2012 at 03:17 #

I like the dress and the belt gives it a nice contrast. I just don’t like the matchy bag and lips

20. Eve June 11, 2012 at 03:20 #

Amanda is gorgeous whatever she wears, but for me her makeup and hair is what killed (murdered, slaughtered, butchered) this look. The neon lipstick was one orange accent too many, and her hair pulled back like this look grey to me. I also think that it would have been better if the belt was thinner or non-existent at all.

• Yeliz June 11, 2012 at 09:06 #

I agree. Her posture is also bad IMO. Lighter make up, better hairstyle, better posture and no belt, than this look might work, otherwise not.

21. Hannah June 11, 2012 at 03:33 #

I ooked at this for ages trying to find one good thing and I have yet to, I even hate her hair & makeup. I remember when the post of Courtney Love in the tragic Marchesa was taken down for offence to our eyes, and for how horribly she ruined the dress, which was stunning. IMO that was marginally, very marginally, less painful to look at than this.

22. Fiona June 11, 2012 at 04:25 #

The belt makes her waist look thick rather than cinch her in, I find this look quite garish and I am a major lover of colour. I do however love the bracelet!

23. Mahima June 11, 2012 at 04:57 #

I was bored, and went through your archive and you didn’t like her 2009 Oscar gown. But I actually like this outfit…

24. jill June 11, 2012 at 05:00 #

but i love the purple colour againts her skin.

25. Sean K June 11, 2012 at 05:26 #

Time for a new stylist honey! You look like death! HID-eous. Why the belt? Why that lip? Ahhh so mad

26. Emi June 11, 2012 at 06:07 #

I would say that it’s not her best look but I like it. The dress is not that ugly, I’ve seen so many uglier dresses… Maybe the event required something more glamorous but it’s not an ugly look. And am I the only one who thinks that she’s not that beautiful? “Gorgeous and flawless” makes me think of Megan Fox, Diane Kruger… De gustibus…

• Jazz June 12, 2012 at 01:07 #

No I don’t think she is pretty at all. Gorgeous and stunning describes many other actresses like the ones u listed,angelina jolie, penelope cruz, keira knightly, etc IMO
      this dress is okaaaay but somehow the styling is off and i think that the dress had a couple too many colors.

27. Vera June 11, 2012 at 06:53 #

God knows how much I appreciate everything Ricardo Tisci does – but the latest collection is a total, complete, unforgivable disaster.

Amanda proved it once more.

Poor pretty Amanda; I really wish she’ll forget about this “esemblence” quickly just as a very, very bad nightmare.

• Fashion Critic June 11, 2012 at 08:07 #

“..the latest collection is a total, complete, unforgivable disaster.” – Agreed.

I’m stunned she even considered this let alone wore it

28. Grace June 11, 2012 at 08:20 #

I don’t usually post, but perhaps she didn’t have any say in what to wear that evening since she was performing? She wore that outfit in the opening number with Neil Patrick Harris (as well as when she presented.) No idea…

29. Zee June 11, 2012 at 08:53 #

It actually looks ok to me when I don’t see the belt:

30. roxana June 11, 2012 at 09:03 #

her worst look so far!

31. Caroline June 11, 2012 at 09:18 #

I actually love it! When I first saw the dress on the runway it was one of my faves from the collection.

32. Alina June 11, 2012 at 11:27 #

I think we found our WDOTW.

33. The Phantom June 11, 2012 at 11:53 #

I like it! :D it reminds me of Esmeralda from The Hunchback of Notre Dame!

34. Te June 11, 2012 at 13:23 #

she looks a little better than the runway corpse….

I agree with not having a WDOTW, given the positive idea of the blog, but sometimes that’s all I can think about…

35. leeks June 11, 2012 at 13:43 #

Love the color combination, and perhaps if the dress was alot longer, with the bottom lace gone and the belt replaced with something not cheap looking (but with the same color) it would totally work. I can at least imagine it on Dita von Teese.

Oh, and also for the shoes – something rustic-gold colored and with higher heels.

36. e June 11, 2012 at 15:07 #

Oh god, she looks like a clown :( Creepy.

37. Dan Oliver June 11, 2012 at 15:08 #

Oh dear i didn’t recognize her really not a fan of this.

38. Azur June 11, 2012 at 15:37 #

I think it’s because of the make – up and herself. I think this dress for someone with more personality

39. Francois B June 11, 2012 at 19:03 #

The dress is not that bad but I would have changed the belt & the clutch. And please, these hair & makeup make her look like a 70 year old woman

40. Parvati June 12, 2012 at 12:06 #

I really dislike this look. I couldn’t believe it was Amanda Seyfried in the photo and that it was taken at the Tony awards. This dress feels totally out-of-place for these awards, where we usually get to see beautiful, classy gowns and although I appreciate Amanda’s effort to match the belt with the clutch and the lipstick, the result is rather weird – maybe without the belt and the rest of the orange details, it could have looked better.

41. Lady Loki June 12, 2012 at 15:28 #

Its by far one of the WORST Givenchy collections I’ve ever seen. Forever 21 sold a better looking belt in 2005. Just look at that poor model, and Amanda is TOO GORGEOUS to wear something like that with that granny hair.

42. EmmaWoodhouse June 12, 2012 at 20:33 #

Oh, no. No no NO! The orange and purple–the unflattering silhouette–the cheap fabric–the washed out look it gives her–her harsh hair and makeup–this is unspeakably bad. I didn’t think she was capable of this! D:

43. Morganne June 12, 2012 at 21:08 #

sorry Amanda i love all your movies expecually red riding hood but the dress is not that great i you totes def look better than the model but u would have looked even better if your hair was down and not in that tight pony

44. Dhppy June 12, 2012 at 21:50 #

I first saw this when she was on stage at the Tonys and all I could do was look at it like some sort of jigsaw puzzle, where I kept trying to remove pieces of it to make it work, and still no dice.

45. Lou June 19, 2012 at 22:56 #

I feel that removing everything red would vastly improve this look… that said, I would still save it for Halloween.