Chanel’s The Little Black Jacket Event

Karl Lagerfeld hosted Chanel’s The Little Black Jacket Event at the Swiss Institute in New York City yesterday evening, inviting a host of celebrities.

Lily Collins: The young actress wore an ivory look from Chanel’s Pre-Fall 2012 collection. This is most definitely something new for Lily. A sleeveless shirt was styled with a draped skirt. That extra hanging piece is really jarring and gives the skirt a diaper feel, which is a shame. I am also not crazy about the shoe choice, but I love the hair and makeup. I’m glad she opted to step out of her comfort zone.

Rinko Kikuchi: The Asian actress was one of the few who opted for a bright colour at this event. I love this teal chiffon dress and the glitter two-tone Chanel bag. The toe-cap Chanel pumps add an interesting contrast, much like her punky hairdo.

Leigh Lezark: No surprises that the DJ opted for the most daring look of this event. Her Spring 2012 look consisted of a black leather jacket paired with pearlized leather peach-coloured shorts.

Poppy Delevigne: The model is always pretty safe on the red carpet and this look is no exception. Her white long-sleeve Pre-Fall 2012 look with floral embroidery was styled with a gold clutch and a deep red lip colour. I wish she’d dared to step out of her comfort zone like Lily.

Linda Evangelista: I hate to say it but Linda’s look was my least favourite at this event. The black-and-white ensemble with a tailored blazer was styled with the most unforgivable top-cap over-the-knee boots. Overall, this is not very flattering. If a supermodel can’t pull it off, no one can.

Caroline Sieber: The stylist, who never misses a fashionable event, wore a Chanel Spring 2012 iridescent dress. The first thing that came to mind when I saw her dress was bubble wrap. A rare ponytail, hot red lips and silver ankle-strap peep-toes completed the look.

Credit: Style.com & Getty

Ivy Chen In Dolce & Gabbana - 2012 Golden Horse Awards

Ivy Chen In Dolce & Gabbana – 2012 Golden Horse Awards

Fergie In Willow & Thierry Mugler - Self Magazine's July Issue Launch Party

Fergie In Willow & Thierry Mugler – Self Magazine’s July Issue Launch Party

21 Responses to Chanel’s The Little Black Jacket Event

1. Odette June 7, 2012 at 17:39 #

Poppy and Caroline are the only ones who don’t look ridiculous.

I think Rinko ruined the regal nature of the dress completely.

• Alina June 7, 2012 at 18:01 #

I agree 100%.

2. Anne g June 7, 2012 at 18:05 #

Everything is ugly. Sorry to say it Karl Lagarfelg lost this mojo.
    More seasons go by, chanel collections become increasingly ugly and unwearable.

• Anne g June 7, 2012 at 18:18 #

lagarfeld

3. 麗林 June 7, 2012 at 18:05 #

Wow I am surprised that a collection I loved so much translated so badly on the red carpet… What went wrong?

4. Nat39 June 7, 2012 at 18:26 #

If I had to pick one that would be Leigh. She is selling her daring ‘little black jacket’ look to me.

5. Jeremy June 7, 2012 at 18:49 #

Out of such huge event, these are the best they offered? Jeez, what a snooze fest this was.

6. Fiona-Brasil June 7, 2012 at 18:50 #

I believe Chanel (KL) went crazy!Starting with his choice of It girl ( Dellal) which is the anti-Chanel, till these hideous clothes.Is this supposed to be a farce?I honestly don’t get it.

7. dee June 7, 2012 at 20:03 #

I only like the teal dress.

8. Marybeth June 7, 2012 at 20:15 #

Call me a heretic, but I haven’t been a fan of Chanel for a long time now. Leigh’s look is the only one I like here — and I don’t like it all that much. The rest are dragging me (and the wearers) down.

The stuff looks a lot better on the runway, but, as FC says, if Linda Evangelista can’t work it, who can?

9. Yeliz June 7, 2012 at 20:42 #

What an uninspiring event and I can’t believe it’s a Chanel event.

10. Emi June 7, 2012 at 20:44 #

Beside Lily Collins, who looks very cute, and Leigh Lezark, which I like, all the other looks are insignificant or ugly. And sorry, but Caroline Sieber for me comes after Alexa Chung as one of the most overrated woman in fashion business. I’ve never seen her well dressed and accessorized.

• Gianni June 8, 2012 at 16:38 #

Totally agree. I love Lily Collins looks lately. Not so much a fan of Leigh Lezark.I do not find that jacket beautiful in anyway.I do like Poppy Delevigne outfit though, love her acessories.But I have to agree with you on the Caroline Sieber bit. She does nothing for me.

11. Carolina June 7, 2012 at 21:22 #

The only thing I appreciate is the Indian inspiration, with looks drawn from trends I’ve watched emerge and influence designers including Lagerfeld. But they’re nearly uniformly badly styled away from the runway, dismayingly so. Their original inspiration is devoid, especially sans some of the iconic accessories.

12. Christine June 7, 2012 at 22:43 #

Dislike all of the looks here.

13. cherrysoftness June 8, 2012 at 07:42 #

My first ever comment here, to say, that someone might still be able to pull off Linda Evangelista’s outfit. Marc Jacobs.

• Fashion Critic June 8, 2012 at 08:33 #

LOL…you never know

14. Fiona June 8, 2012 at 12:46 #

Linda Evangelista reminds me of the scene in Mary Poppins where Dick van Dyke pulls his pants down a bit to dance with the cartoon penguins … not what Lagerfeld was shooting for I’m sure but the whole black & white styling just makes me think Penguin.

15. Jess2 June 8, 2012 at 14:56 #

I actually don’t mind Lily’s look too much. Rinko destroyed what was a lovely look but her hair and makeup. I love the jacket Linda is wearing but the rest is hurting my eyes. What on earth is up with her hair. Poppy and Caroline’s looks are not too bad.

16. EmmaWoodhouse June 8, 2012 at 19:21 #

Lily looks elegant. Everyone else…um…NIGHTMARE! I will never forget Linda Evangelista’s outfit. And believe me, I WISH I COULD!

17. cece October 3, 2012 at 01:37 #

i personely love all of these outfits and their indiviality