05.06.12

Models @ The CFDA Fashion Awards 2012

The fashion world’s top models flocked to the 2012 CFDA Fashion Awards, held at the Alice Tully Hall in New York City on Monday evening.

Elettra Wiedemann: The model puts her best foot forward wearing a gorgeous burgundy Rachel Roy crepe twist drape dress with cut-out details. She accessorized with a Kotur for Rachel Roy multi-graphic tweed clutch, Lulu Frost jewelry and Rachel Roy ‘Farrah’ leather architectural open toe metal tri-colour sandals. I want to own every piece of this look. She is my favourite on this page.

Dree Hemingway: Her Creatures of The Wind black and gray silk abstract jacquard empire-waist dress teamed with a cropped jacket is also one of my faves. I love that she sticks to her laidback style here. We all know she can go glam when needs be. I just love her Tabitha Simmons for Creatures of The Wind silver boots.

Crystal Renn: I would’ve expected a gown from the striking model, but she opted for a Zac Posen cocktail dress. The Fall 2012 Kiko print lame cocktail dress was styled with black strappy sandals, bright green earrings and silver bracelets.

Candice Swanepoel: The Victoria’s Secret Angel looked quite apropos, wearing a heavenly light-blue lace Valentino Spring 2012 dress. Walking the red carpet alongside shoe-master Brian Atwood, Candice makes those dainty white shoes work, wearing a pair of Atwood’s ‘Melly’ ankle-wrap heels. A sweet braided ‘do tops the look.

Joan Smalls: Michael Kors’ date for the evening was stunning in a white tank dress with a high-low hem from the designer’s Pre-Fall 2012 collection. Opting to wear the look belt-free, Joan glams up her ensemble with gold accessories. A sleek ponytail and bright-pink lippie complete the look.

Jessica Stam: Perhaps Karlie Kloss was busy, as Jason Wu attended the awards with another top model as his date, rather than his usual red-carpet BFF. Jessica effortlessly filled the part, wearing a blue sleeveless gown with black lace underlay. Love this stunning Jason Wu gown, but am not sold on Jessica’s hair and makeup choices. A space-age ponytail and yellow eyeshadow don’t exactly scream chic. A Roger Vivier ‘Retro Cerniera’ clutch and Roger Vivier ‘Sadale Cage’ sandals accessorize her look.

Karolina Kurkova: The leggy blonde model went for a sleeveless Tommy Hilfiger dress with several conflicting patterns rolled into one. A bold Erickson Beamon statement necklace accessorizes the already busy look. Bright tangerine lips and black-and-gold sandals finish the confusing look.

Doutzen Kroes: The model can seemingly do no wrong when it comes to the red carpet. Doutzen looked beautiful in a sheer black Sophie Theallet silk gown with a choker detail neckline. An upswept hairdo and heavily lined cat-eyes complete the look.

Erin Heatherton: Doing Greek goddess to the max, the Victoria’s Secret model was beautiful in a bright-green Michael Kors Resort 2013 halter gown, which was presented this morning. Matching the dress’ gold neckpiece to gladiator-esque sandals and matching cuffs, Erin looks every bit the part.

Selita Ebanks: The gorgeous model looked elegant in white, wearing a half-bandage, half-draped Hervé Léger by Max Azria gown. While so many details might have looked cheap on others, Selita makes the ensemble look expensive, adding complementary silver accessories.

Shu Pei: The model wore a Vera Wang saffron silk jacquard sleeveless dress. It’s not often we see this bold colour on the red carpet. I love the dress, but I’m not too crazy about the clunky nude platform heels.

Karen Elson: The redhead bombshell wore an on-trend Proenza Schouler crop top and high-waisted A-line skirt look. The emerald-green hue is perfect for her pale skin and red hair. An Eddie Borgo clutch, a black clutch and deep Tabitha Simmons red T-straps sandals provide a rich finishing touch.

Arizona Muse: This Diane von Furstenberg puffy sequined dress is given a rock chick feel thanks to model, but I’m not a fan of those black leather boots. A DVF ‘Catena’ clutch completed the look.

Liu Wen: The model wore a printed Suno layered panel dress. Her printed frock was styled with a slick back bun and Nicholas Kirkwood for Suno booties with lavender laces.

Who was your favourite?

Credit: Getty

Ciara In Balmain - ‘That’s My Boy’ LA Premiere

Ciara In Balmain – ‘That’s My Boy’ LA Premiere

Nikki Reed's Tolani Gaucho Pants

Nikki Reed’s Tolani Gaucho Pants

33 Responses to Models @ The CFDA Fashion Awards 2012

1. Jones19 June 5, 2012 at 18:15 #

You LIKE those silver boots FC? I’m in shock! :D I have to disagree, they are an eyesore in my eyes. Anyway my favorite here is Joan Smalls, so crisp and clean.

• Fashion Critic June 5, 2012 at 18:26 #

I would never wear them :) but they work for Dree.

• Nirina June 5, 2012 at 18:35 #

agreed..i think they’re awful shoes!

2. Rebecca Z June 5, 2012 at 18:20 #

I like Elettra and Erin best, but Shu Pei’s dress is gorgeous, and I love those Tabitha Simmons t-strap shoes.

3. Shaina June 5, 2012 at 18:21 #

My favorites are Karolina (minus the clutch), Erin Heatherton, Joan Smalls, Doutzen Kroes, and Elettra Wiedemann. I really love the simplicity of Joan’s look and I also loved Elettra’s accessories.

Arizona and Karen Elson are my least favorites. Arizona’s shoes make her dress look cheap and Elson just isn’t selling the look to me.

4. Nat39 June 5, 2012 at 18:33 #

Crystal Renn is my fav. here. Although her accessories aren’t quite working for me, I like this themed look down to her hairstyle and attitude.
    Erin for looking so beautiful in her ‘greek goddess’ look is 2nd.
    Elettra could’ve skipped at least on some of her accessories – one of the bracelets/earrings, her look is a bit too loaded with accessories.

5. Nirina June 5, 2012 at 18:34 #

Selita Ebanks & Doutzen Kroes definitely win it for me. looove that Herve Leger dress! beautiful

6. mm June 5, 2012 at 18:39 #

Crystal Renn worked that dress.

7. Yeliz June 5, 2012 at 18:41 #

My favourite is Joan Smalls. I love everything about this simple but stunning look.

Erin Heatherton, Candice Swanepoel and Doutzen Kroes are also very nice.

Dree Hemingway, Arizona Muse and Karen Elson are my least favourites. I really dislike their looks.

The others are ok.

8. Barbs June 5, 2012 at 18:46 #

1 – Joan Smalls;
    2 – Erin Heatherton; and
    3 – Karen Elson.

• MattBer June 5, 2012 at 21:03 #

Joan is the best!

9. Sabina June 5, 2012 at 18:51 #

For some reason I am very intrigued by Arizona’s look even with those boots. She really differentiates herself from the pack. That being said, I also like Joan and Erin.

10. lily June 5, 2012 at 19:01 #

CANDICE is the best for me!! Erin and Doutzen come next. I hate how Crystal once said she wouldn’t change her figure and etc. and then she did something different. But heck, CANDICE looked the best for me!

11. Dhppy June 5, 2012 at 19:12 #

Of this lot, it’s Crystal Renn whom I most adore. Both the dress and the attitude make her seem like a character straight out “The Women”.

12. dee June 5, 2012 at 19:18 #

I like Arizona’s look. The boots are really cool.
    I like Selita, Erin and Doutzen looks. I like Candace and Jessica’s looks minus the hair.

13. Hannah June 5, 2012 at 19:45 #

I adore Shu Pei’s dress but I agree about the shoes, they are nowhere near as refined & elegant as the dress, which is a shame. My favourite on the page is Erin, but I think that Joan looks good, too.
    Also, Candace’s dress has been worn by Claire Danes in red, and Kelly Rutherford in this colour, and I think someone else wore it in this colour on a magazine cover (Cameron Diaz, maybe?).

14. Parvati June 5, 2012 at 20:49 #

Love: Joan Smalls, Karolina Kurkova, Doutzen Kroes, Erin Heatherton.

Like: Candice Swanepoel, Jessica Stam, Selita Ebanks, Shu Pei, Karen Elson.

Not crazy about: Elettra Wiedemann, Crystal Renn, Arizona Muse, Liu Wen.

Hate: Dree Hemingway.

15. asherlev1 June 5, 2012 at 21:46 #

Ugh. How so flawless, Joan Smalls?

• Mads June 5, 2012 at 22:07 #

I agree. Effortlessly gorgeous and perfect.

16. Valéria June 5, 2012 at 22:40 #

Karlie was/is in Paris shooting for Jean Paul Gaultier…

17. Christine June 5, 2012 at 22:41 #

I want to cover Liu Wen good looking shoes!

My favorites are Karolina, Selita, Doutzen, Candice and Karolina.

18. EmmaWoodhouse June 6, 2012 at 00:40 #

Elettra: over-accessorized. I would really like the dress without the cut-outs.
    Dree: The rest of the look is uninteresting, but THOSE SHOES are the worst I have seen all year! It’s as though the Tin-man attacked her feet!
    Crystal: Interesting but not to my taste. She’s still too tan, though I’m glad that she’s gone back to black.
    Candice: cute, demure. Maybe too cute–she’s working it, though.
    Joan: crisp and clean, but too revealing.
    Jessica: rather glaring. I don’t like it–didn’t like Diane’s either. Wu can do better!
    Karolina: WHAT THE HECK? Horrible.
    Doutzen: sloppy, matronly, kind of tacky and dated. The dress, that is. SHE look gorgeous, but doesn’t she always?
    Erin: the teal color is a breath of fresh air. Elegant, summery, classy, statuesque. My second best dressed of this group.
    Selita: wow, if that hadn’t been drop-waisted I would quite like it. She makes it un-trashy, even though it’s a bandage dress.
    Shu: despite the ugly shoes, that dress is AH-MAZING and she is ROCKING IT! Love the straight hair. Best dressed of this group.
    Karen: Great color. Nothing else.
    Arizona: Horrific, head to toe. The dress looks like it’s made of eggs.
    Liu: Cute dress, but the shoes don’t go.

19. Mol June 6, 2012 at 02:24 #

Elettra, Shu Pei and Liu Wen all caught my eye. I don’t like Shu’s shoes but I do like Liu’s which I think work really well with her dress.

20. Alina June 6, 2012 at 05:07 #

Joan Smalls.

21. yesaya June 6, 2012 at 06:55 #

Jessica Stam needs to fired her hair stylist and change her hair color. her black hair is not working AT ALL.

22. Jeremy June 6, 2012 at 07:17 #

the colour is great on Karen Elson, but the texture makes me think of a sushi roll. not in any way appealing.

Joan Smalls is the best for me. she’s literally breathtakingly beautiful. drop-dead gorgeous. the fit of the dress hugging her curves is perfection.

KK took a risk and i’m not sure that it paid off. she looks interesting and unique and she really can ear anything .. but this isn’t my fav look of her’s, not by a long shot.

23. Jess2 June 6, 2012 at 09:17 #

My favourites are Candice, Joan, Selita and Erin.

Hate the love or hate shoes worn by Dree and not sure what Arizona was thinking in terms of the boots and the Alexa Chung type unbrushed hairsytle she has got going on. Love Jessica’s look from the neck down and very much love Elettra’s dress. Shu’s dress is also awesome. Karolina’s look was a bit of a let down but I do like her shoes. Karen pulls of her outfit really well.

24. manja June 6, 2012 at 10:42 #

Karolina Kurkova best,followed by Erin and Doutzen.Crystl Renn is too orange in the face and sort of looks like she comes from SF movie to me.

25. JamilaMaz June 6, 2012 at 14:00 #

Joan Smalls killed it, easily the best there

26. Amy June 6, 2012 at 20:36 #

Joan killed them all with a “less is more” look : I love it, it’s clean,sexy and nice.
    I also like Liu Wen’s look : the dress is cute and the shoes original.
    Doutzen,Erin,Selita,Shu Pei: nice dresses
    Candice: ok the dress is cute but with the braid and it’s just too much
    Arizona: those boots don’t belong to that red carpet
    in opposition to Karolina (so disappointed in her)whose shoes are the best thing in her outfit

27. pipsqueak June 7, 2012 at 10:10 #

Joan Smalls for a gown look. Arizona Muse for a more casual look. They both win for me.