05.06.12

Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen In The Row – 2012 CFDA Fashion Awards

Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen took home the ‘Womenswear Designer of the Year’ award for their line, The Row, at the 2012 CFDA Fashion Awards, held at the Alice Tully Hall in New York City yesterday evening.

I almost fell off my chair when I found individual pictures of the sisters.

As walking spokesmodels for their winning brand, both designers looked gorgeous wearing looks from The Row Resort 2013 collection.

Debuting a brunette look, Mary-Kate went for a darker look, wearing a long-sleeved black silk dress with a high-low hem.

The dress was accessorized with a statement Sidney Garber necklace and Louis Vuitton black suede peep-toes, plus a black The Row purse.

Ashley wore a rarely seen burst of colour, standing out in a violet silk dress with a simple ruffle running down the front.

Like her sister, Ashley accessorized with a black The Row bag, Sidney Garber cuff bracelets and Manolo Blahnik heels.

A slick, centre-parted bun completes the look.

Credit: Getty

Bérénice Marlohe In Salvatore Ferragamo - 'Skyfall' Cast Photocall

Bérénice Marlohe In Salvatore Ferragamo – ‘Skyfall’ Cast Photocall

Jessica Pare In Jason Wu - 2012 CFDA Fashion Awards

Jessica Pare In Jason Wu – 2012 CFDA Fashion Awards

29 Responses to Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen In The Row – 2012 CFDA Fashion Awards

1. bm June 5, 2012 at 14:11 #

I like the all black look from Mary-Kate. But Ashley’s look, in one word, horrible.

2. CreoleLady June 5, 2012 at 14:12 #

Lol. Not sure they are their own best brand ambassadors. All I see are acres of shiny material (nice magenta color). Not particularly flattering. Felt the same way about the earlier non-separated looks this week (not as shiny but still a lot of material).

3. Alina June 5, 2012 at 14:21 #

I like both looks. :D

4. Felicia June 5, 2012 at 14:25 #

I LOVE them. I have for years now! I admire how they stay true to their own style. I think that’s why I think they’re so awesome.

Mary-Kate: I like the new hair. I love the shoes. I actually love the dress but it’s obvious that she’s one of very few people who could pull it off!
    Ashley: I think she looks perfect. She should wear this colour more actually. Simple elegance!

5. Christine June 5, 2012 at 14:26 #

Can’t believe for the first time I am choosing MK’s look over Ashley. Surprisingly, I like The Row’s pieces.

6. Jess2 June 5, 2012 at 14:28 #

Well I don’t hate these looks but I don’t really love them either. I do love the violet colour on Ashley though.
    To be honest, not sure how they won the award, I don’t feel like we see many people wearing their designs and I don’t find the designs chic or even flattering in some cases. Congratulations to them though, a wonderful award to win.

7. bas June 5, 2012 at 14:36 #

I do like both looks, but i think Ashley’s dress could have used a belt.

8. Susie June 5, 2012 at 14:36 #

I feel like I haven’t seen them look this good in ages. They both look great!

9. firien June 5, 2012 at 14:40 #

For me, this is a big MEH.
    Please, stop dressing like grandmothers!..

10. Lady Loki June 5, 2012 at 14:42 #

With all their money, youth, talent for fashion and beauty, they STILL manage to look like 50 year old cat ladies. Just awful.

11. Mariazinha June 5, 2012 at 14:49 #

I just wish she had actually made a dress out of all that pretty violet fabric before going to the event…
    Would have looked good.

• Kai June 5, 2012 at 15:02 #

• Rebecca Z June 5, 2012 at 16:03 #

Good comment! If only this dress were made to fit a slim young woman it could have been a winner. Instead it looks like a satin burnoose–nice to wear at home, but not for an event outside the home.

• Beta June 6, 2012 at 08:08 #

tha positive aspect is that she can reuse it in the future when she’s pregnant

12. Sandra June 5, 2012 at 15:13 #

MK’s look does nothing for me, but I love the violet silk on Ashley. Maybe it’s just her tiny frame, but imo the abundance of flowy fabric looks really flattering on her.

Bit disappointed at their win, though. I’ve never been a fan of their design aesthetic and some of their pieces really border on rags. Surely Proenza Schouler is more worth talking about?

13. Yeliz June 5, 2012 at 15:16 #

I dislike both looks.

Someone said on the previous MK and Ashley post that The Row is very overrated and overpriced. I totally agree with that. I would never buy something from this brand. Oh no, maybe I would when I’m in my 60ies.

14. MEME June 5, 2012 at 15:34 #

I am just elated that I can now offically tell them apart….

I like the color on Ashley’s dress…. but it needs more design….

Mary Kate’s look will probably be alright for a taller woman….

They both look old though….

• Fashion Critic June 5, 2012 at 15:36 #

“I am just elated that I can now offically tell them apart….” Ditto….I always struggle

• Jeremy June 5, 2012 at 18:45 #

I even almost believed that they are conjoined twins, since 99% of times I saw them sharing their hips in those baggy clothes. I think they are pretty cool designers.

15. Stephanie June 5, 2012 at 15:51 #

MK hair really brings out her eyes. Love it.

Every time I see photos I wish I could ask them: Since you have your own clothing line, do they not make it in your size? Why wear it 2 sizes larger than you are??

16. dee June 5, 2012 at 16:00 #

They look alright. It just looks like their clothes are always too big.

17. Vidhya June 5, 2012 at 18:03 #

I may be coming down with something because, I actually like these two looks. I hear some rumblings about them winning the award. What is your opinion, FC? Were they the best womenswear designers last year?

• Fashion Critic June 5, 2012 at 18:07 #

haven’t given it much thought to be honest.

18. Shelby June 5, 2012 at 18:08 #

For once, MK does a better job. Not only does the brunette look healthier than ever, she’s at least trying to show off her shape whereas her sister is wearing a glorified MUMU :P Love the color, but could you please dress like a 20 something for once???

19. the(un?)social butterfly June 5, 2012 at 18:37 #

I think this is the first time I find they look great without making concessions. Still don´t get their problem with fitted clothes, though.

20. Bird June 5, 2012 at 18:57 #

Your prayer got answered…lol…the look is ok for me…they never wows me..

21. Parvati June 5, 2012 at 20:30 #

I always prefer Ashley’s looks to Mary-Kate’s and this is also the case. Mary Kate’s look is too dark, while I like the purple colour on Ashley. However, I’m not that crazy about Ashley’s dress, either. I like the colour and the neckline of the dress, but I wish the dress was more fitted, because it looks totally shapeless.

22. EmmaWoodhouse June 6, 2012 at 00:16 #

I really like MK as a brunette. Both look fresh-faced and lovely here, despite their…questionable clothing choices. MK’s is far too Meryl Streepian, and Ashley’s would be gorgeous (love color) if it were a fitted silhouette with a more decided ruffle.

23. beadingchef June 6, 2012 at 06:42 #

I am happy for them, just don’t get it, the remind me of bag ladies, their clothes never fit them and I wish them well, but I would never purchase anything from The Row, over priced stuff but to each her own.