05.06.12

Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge In Alexander McQueen – St. Paul’s Cathedral

Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge wore her Sunday best, despite it being Tuesday, for the morning service at St. Paul’s Cathedral celebrating the Queen’s Diamond Jubilee earlier today.

She wore her second Alexander McQueen look of the 4 day festivities; but this one isn’t instantly recognisable as a McQueen piece.

Her nude long sleeve lace dress with a grosgrain waistband was custom-made by Sarah Burton for Alexander McQueen.

The Duchess does have a love affair with lace from her wedding gown to her navy Erdem dress worn during a visit to Canada and her Alice by Temperely gown worn to a London premiere.

A custom floral-accented Jane Taylor hat was teamed with nude LK Bennett (yes, again) a satin Prada clutch (yep, once again) and pearl drop earrings.

Some of you object to Kate wearing custom McQueen pieces, but she can hardly wear the Armadillo heels.

It would appear she has built up a close working relationship with Sarah Burton and whilst her looks don’t scream McQueen, she’s continually supporting a British brand which is most important.

Despite the overuse of the same accessories, I happen to really like this look. Simple and elegant.

Credit: Getty

Cheryl Cole In Stella McCartney - The X Factor Newcastle Auditions

Cheryl Cole In Stella McCartney – The X Factor Newcastle Auditions

Beyonce Knowles In Dsquared², J Brand & Alexander McQueen - Caviar Kaspia Restaurant

Beyonce Knowles In Dsquared², J Brand & Alexander McQueen – Caviar Kaspia Restaurant

56 Responses to Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge In Alexander McQueen – St. Paul’s Cathedral

1. Yeliz June 5, 2012 at 21:59 #

I really like it too! And slowly I accept her shoe choice. It will never change so there is no need to discuss it again and again.

“she can hardly wear the Armadillo heels.” I imagined it and that really made me laugh.

2. Lily June 5, 2012 at 21:59 #

So chic!

3. Sharon June 5, 2012 at 22:06 #

I think she looks lovely. I especially like the way this couple smiles and laughs with each other. A nice change to see in the royals.

• noo June 5, 2012 at 23:47 #

today catherine was beaming, she shared quite a few laughs with harry too…super cute

4. Nat39 June 5, 2012 at 22:07 #

Perfectly appropriate (that’s her style), no random pops of colour or accidental standout elements, everything is clean and matched, the look done right, fits the standards.

5. Dolly June 5, 2012 at 22:08 #

Simple, elegant and clearly very suitable for the occasion

I still feel that I havent really been truly wowed by anything she has worn. In her position it’s difficult to take risks though, so understandable

• noo June 5, 2012 at 23:52 #

i kinda disagree about risks, if you look back at fashion from queen elizabeth and princess margaret you’ll see that they dominated in the 50s 60s and 70s. they did different silhouettes, colors, prints and bizzare hats while looking like the royals that they were (princess diana followed suit). i think catherine is graceful enough to change things up and not look tacky.

• Molly June 6, 2012 at 02:36 #

A risk for Kate involves wearing a bright color, new shapes, pants, prints and a ponytail. Its not exactly rocket science. The Queen is more exciting than Kate.

• Vera June 6, 2012 at 19:05 #

And yet, when Kate wore the red dress, the Daily Mail complained because that choice overshadowed the real protagonist of the day. I agree with Dolly, it is not easy for Kate to risk…

• Molly June 6, 2012 at 22:26 #

There was nothing wrong with that outfit, its just that she wore it to the wrong event.

6. Shaina June 5, 2012 at 22:10 #

I like it too! She looks very simple and beautiful.

7. Emi June 5, 2012 at 22:16 #

I don’t think that a. McQueen would have ever designed something like this, but I like this look. You’re right, FC, simple and elegant. Better shoes wouldn’t bother me, anyway :-)

• Betty Brandenburg June 6, 2012 at 15:03 #

I think Alexander McQueen is spinning in his grave to have his name attached to something so … flat. Nice, but flat.

8. AnderBoBo June 5, 2012 at 22:17 #

Every look feels so reminiscent of the one prior (save for the Packham gown) it is hard to get excited anymore. The hair/makeup/fascinator/shoes are not inspiring and at this point expected. I think it is great she is working so closely with Sarah Burton but there is nothing McQueen about this dress.

• GGG June 6, 2012 at 03:05 #

there was nothing traditionally “McQueen” about her wedding dress either… and that’s okay. design houses evolve.

• Nripsuta June 6, 2012 at 09:26 #

I COMPLETELY agree! Its like she just dresses in exactly the same style again and again! The same kind of dresses, shoes and fascinators!

9. Tye June 5, 2012 at 22:21 #

I really love this look! I don’t think that the overuse of the same accessories matters at all

10. Sara June 5, 2012 at 22:24 #

OMG, the waistband matches her skin tone so perfectly that for a minute of jaw dropping dumb founding confusion I thought she had jumped on the stomach baring top trend! LOL

11. Christine June 5, 2012 at 22:32 #

Pretty but samey same.

• Alina June 6, 2012 at 04:47 #

12. robbie June 5, 2012 at 22:46 #

zzzzzzzzzz boring!

13. Paulo June 5, 2012 at 22:57 #

She looks lovely, though I keep hoping that Sarah will sneak in some kind of surprise McQueen element on her custom made pieces for Catherine…in the future perhaps.

Baby steps.

14. lillian June 5, 2012 at 23:04 #

to be honest McQueen isn’t even English, its owned by the Gucci Group, she’s wearing a Parisian label with an English name. There are designers like Jonathan Saunders and Peter Pilotto, or Erdem. So I’m a little bored of the McQueen relationship, it used to be the rebel label, now its dressing the Duchess of Cambridge?

• Ines June 7, 2012 at 10:19 #

“To be honest McQueen isn’t even English, its owned by the Gucci Group, she’s wearing a Parisian label with an English name. ”

Thank you. I was starting to get confused at when Pinault became British…

15. Richard June 5, 2012 at 23:22 #

The most important thing is that she is supporting a British fashion house.
    So what if she uses the same accessories?…if she didn’t she would be derided for “excess”….its a sign that she is actually aware of the message she sends.

16. Odette June 5, 2012 at 23:29 #

I find her style devastatingly boring but even though this look ages her ten years, I like it.

17. noo June 5, 2012 at 23:46 #

i can’t help but be bored!!! she is a pretty girl with a model’s body and will look pretty in a potato sack, but she still needs to try and change it up.
    as for mcqueen, usually we see mcqueen elements in the design but today i see something that catherine herself could have designed. i much preferred the red dress because it was more “mcqueen”.
    PS: i think she has more than one pair of sledges, they can’t be that durable…

18. dee June 5, 2012 at 23:48 #

What I like the most is her genuine smile at husband. That is really nice to see. She looks lovely. I like this outfit.

19. EmmaWoodhouse June 6, 2012 at 00:49 #

Beautiful, stunning in fact. The dress is gorgeous and the samey accessories don’t bother me. I like them, so I don’t mind seeing them again. The is adorable and they look so happy together! BDOTW contender :D

20. Carolina June 6, 2012 at 01:00 #

I simply don’t understand why people think she needs to take risks, and criticize her for being ‘boring.’ She’s not a model, and has no need to prove herself,stylistically. To me, evaluation of style needs to take into account person and place related appropriateness… and she certainly does this very well. She’s a beautiful woman with global visibility, an ambassadress, if you will.

• GGG June 6, 2012 at 03:06 #

I agree! Well said, Carolina :)

• Jess2 June 6, 2012 at 10:54 #

I also agree with you Carolina :)

• maggy June 8, 2012 at 16:10 #

I absolutely agree!

21. Molly June 6, 2012 at 02:32 #

I find it almost disrespectful that Kate wears so much McQueen given the fact that Lee was so openly against the monarchy. I guess Kate is lucky that Lee is no longer around or he would have shown her the door a long time ago.
    The dress is beautiful, but I feel like the shoulder pads make her shoulders looks massive. Add the hat and Kate looks a little bit like a bobble head!

• Richard June 6, 2012 at 11:58 #

Molly- Surely if the house felt that way, they can always refuse to dress her. If Kate chooses to support them, and they say yes, how is that “disrespectful” of Kate?

• DP June 6, 2012 at 12:00 #

That’s an interesting idea, and not one I’ve thought about before. I have to say I (politely of course!) disagree though- I love that McQueen always engaged with politics and didn’t sugarcoat the brutalities of the history of Anglo-Scottish relations. But he did accept a CBE and by the same reasoning I think he would have accepted had he been asked to design the royal wedding dress. I do love the idea of him telling the royal family to get stuffed though!

The real tragedy is that we’ll never know how he would have felt about it now.

22. Ella June 6, 2012 at 03:30 #

I absolutely love this look. Granted, some could think it was boring, but for me, I believe it is classic. Catherine looks stunning and her smile….that sells it all =D

23. Jo D'Orsogna June 6, 2012 at 03:33 #

I am sick to death of her wearing the same boring LK Bennett shoes. Eugenie and Beatrice wear good shoes that have a bit of style. Princess Mary of Denmark wears lovely shoes.
    I was taught by nuns that had better shoe collections than Kate. Get a stylist and get them out there borrowing things for you. Ring Kate Bosworth and ask her for some style advice.
    When you are 86 years old like the Queen, then you can start wearing your sensible shoes.
    Oh and I nominate the Queen for best dressed this week, for an outstanding array of couture clothes that befits a woman of her age and standing.

• noo June 6, 2012 at 09:44 #

eugenie has the same lk bennett shoes, and she wears them all the time as well. she was wearing them at st paul’s and in many of the past events. sophie wessex does the same thing with the same lk bennett sledges.

i hate these shoes :(

24. fashionsac June 6, 2012 at 04:47 #

So simple and pretty ! I want the same outfit !!!!!

25. Dhppy June 6, 2012 at 06:26 #

On the one hand, this is quite pretty and fits like a dream. On the other hand, if she doesn’t stop taking the quirk out of McQueen, I will never forgive Sarah Burton..

26. Ioana June 6, 2012 at 08:50 #

oh, such a GORGEOUS smile!

I absolutely love this. I have an obsession with lace, too, so, it works for me.

And, btw, in this case, the nude pumps were the perfect choice. Maybe she could have chosen another brand/ another shape, but it’s..ok!

27. kat June 6, 2012 at 08:50 #

She looks really pretty, no denying of that, but it’s the samey silhouette, the cut, the hair, the fascinator, the accessories we’ve seen a million times before, so I just can’t get excited about her anymore. Just think what difference would it make, if she added only a little pop of colour either via her clutch or the ribbon in the waist or the hat/nails/earrings/shoes/lips/whatever… I don’t think she should wear edgy or more daring pieces, but if she pupmped up the styling – some minor detail would suffice – it’d make a huuuuge difference…

28. Lee Ann June 6, 2012 at 09:45 #

I’ve given up!

29. Kaz June 6, 2012 at 10:05 #

Some say boring, I say classic – in fact I say classically beautiful. I really like this – the colour, the contrast of the lace and the mesh, but most of all that gorgeous, genuine smile that speaks volumes about her happiness. Bravo!

30. Jess2 June 6, 2012 at 10:53 #

Custom designs from Sarah for McQueen makes sense to me because I assume Sarah and the Duchess would have become close friends as the wedding gown was being designed and made. I think it is lovely and highlights the versatility of Sarah and the brand.
    I love this look, especially because I am a sucker for lace. The dress is divine and she is stunning! Love the picture of Kate and Will.

31. DP June 6, 2012 at 11:45 #

I actually love this- the matchy-matchiness doesn’t bother me here as it did with her red McQueen. She looks great, and this is the kind of outfit that lets her classic tailored chic approach to fashion shine through.

It’s like someone wearing casually draped beige silk in the holiday season- it might look dull at times, but when everyone else is wearing red spangles it looks timeless and elegant :)

• DP June 6, 2012 at 11:48 #

Having said that though I think she’d look wonderful in more green, and silver/gold accents!

It was almost as if a switch was flicked after their first year of marriage- her clothing became a bit more exciting, she ditched the nude tights and tried open sandals, and I do think she’s gently adjusting things to be more adventurous once she’s settled in. I don’t think she’ll ever wear Armadillo shoes though ;)

32. elaine2 June 6, 2012 at 13:53 #

I think she looks very chic in this dress, even though it seems as if she has a lot of lace dresses. This one fits her perfectly and with her dark hair, she can do this neutral shade. I don’t mind the shoes with it, either. Also, that Prada bag is pretty. The hat? Not a big fan of that shape for her…..

33. the(un?)social butterfly June 6, 2012 at 15:41 #

I think what bugs me the most about her is the overuse of the same hair and make-up… I like the fact that she opts for more understated, wearable pieces and that she makes the most of her (very, very neutral apart from eventual head pieces) accessories. It´s an interesting message coming from a princess.

34. Karen June 6, 2012 at 16:33 #

I think she looks great. Is this dress fashion forward and fashionable as a McQueen piece? No absolutely not. She’s not someone that is a fashion trailblazer. It’s quite safe but I still think she looks great overall. Appropriate.

35. Jones19 June 6, 2012 at 16:48 #

Despite the overuse of same accessories I do love this look. Very pretty dress.

36. Amy June 6, 2012 at 19:04 #

She looks nice.

37. Veronica June 7, 2012 at 07:11 #

I am so tired of seeing her in these shoes!!!!! Doesn’t she own any others?

38. Ines June 7, 2012 at 10:22 #

I prefer the red outfit even if it was worn at the wrong event. I don’t understand her style at all. The dress looks like the Erdem one she wore in Canada. It’s going to be interesting (lol) to see her tour Asia. Hopefully she will wear some traditional outfit so we can have a bit of fun.

39. Fatima June 8, 2012 at 23:20 #

The color is very ugly. If it was a light pink/blush color or a lighter nude, it would have looked fine. But this color, along with the contrast between the white base looks yucky.