Red Carpet Trends: Summer LBDs

While prints, neons and tie dye are perfect for summer days, when the sun goes down, black still rules.

This was definitely the case on the red carpet this weekend as LBDs dominated at the Spike TV’s ‘Guys Choice’ Awards.

Mila Kunis (in Lanvin), Emma Stone (in Versace), Malin Akerman (in Emporio Armani) and Kate Beckinsale (in Tom Ford) all wore black; as did Dianna Agron, hosting the 23rd Annual GLAAD Media Awards.

The Queen of the LBDs, Jennifer Aniston (in Valentino), also jumped on the trend this weekend at the 2012 MTV Movie Awards.

Charlize Theron is the other star who is opting for LBDs a lot this summer.

She at least punches up her look with a bright pink lip colour and statement heels, which is the key to working a LBD as a chic, easy breezy look this summer.

Rag & Bone ‘Adeline’ paneled satin and leather dressNet-A-Porter.com
Acne ‘Marlow’ sleeveless dressMatchesFashion.com
Reiss loose belted tee dress – Reiss US and Reiss UK
Herve Leger Crisscross A line dressShopbop.com
Lanvin embroidered bubble-skirt crepe dressNet-A-Porter.com

Credit: Getty

Kylie Minogue In Dolce & Gabbana - Out In New York City

Kylie Minogue In Dolce & Gabbana – Out In New York City

Gwyneth Paltrow's Boy by Band of Outsiders Tie Neck Sleeveless Top

Gwyneth Paltrow’s Boy by Band of Outsiders Tie Neck Sleeveless Top

6 Responses to Red Carpet Trends: Summer LBDs

1. EmmaWoodhouse June 4, 2012 at 21:04 #

Dianna’s and Emma’s are great. The other two are so meh. I’m not sure how I feel about this trend for summer–I like light, colorful looks for this time of year! But maybe if they were paired with fun, bright accessories…

2. Yeliz June 4, 2012 at 22:30 #

Emma and Dianna are my favorites too.

I think this is a nice trend, except if you wear it too often. I mean it’s summer and that means colorful clothes. But it can still be a appropriate look if you pair it with bright accessories (like EmmaWoodhouse said).
    I like the Acne and the Lanvin dress.

3. Riley June 4, 2012 at 23:20 #

NO BLACK DRESSES IN THE SUMMER PEOPLE. NEVER. It is the SUMMER which means pretty flowy dresses- aka COLOR. Geez, why do people insist on wearing the color of death in the summer?

4. Emma June 4, 2012 at 23:27 #

I like Emma’s, Mila’s, and Jen’s- their black dresses and black heels all complement each other beautifully, not to mention their hair and makeup looks fabulous. Although in theory, a black dress paired with black heels sounds boring/basic, these ladies mixed it up and created looks tailored to each of their unique styles and the result it lovely!
    Dianna’s dress is horridly boring to me, though. She is no doubt a beautiful woman but I wish we’d seen her mix it up. Her plain black dress has a conservative neckline and hemline, and the black pumps are as basic as you can get. The look isn’t original and I wish we’d seen something more added to the simple black dress (if she had to wear it) whether it be as a colored belt, statement shoes, or even a pair of nice dangle earrings or a few bangles (the red ring looks a bit out of place to me).

5. Mandy June 5, 2012 at 02:06 #

LBD and black heels are such an eyesore =(

6. Lara June 5, 2012 at 16:00 #

Can we really say that Aniston “also jumped on the trend”? More like Aniston remained in the driver’s seat of trend, mowing down all dresses with even an ounce of colour along the way.