The gloomy weather didn’t dampen the spirits of the Great British public who gathered along the River Thames this afternoon for the Thames Diamond Jubilee Pageant.

Prince William and Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge were quite the handsome couple as they prepared to board the royal barge ‘Spirit of Chartwell’.

Catherine was resplendent wearing a fire engine red Alexander McQueen dress.

The dress was originally presented sleeveless as part of the brands Pre-Fall 2011 collection which Tulisa Contostavlos wore to the X Factor Liverpool auditions last year.

For this occasion Catherine’s long-sleeve McQueen dress, which is also longer in length, was designed especially by Sarah Burton.

Catherine styled her look with a red Sylvia Fletcher hat from James Lock & Co, a maritime-themed brooch featuring gold dolphins, nude LK Bennett pumps, a red clutch and she’s also carrying a tartan scarf.

It seems like the Catherine has a thing for pleats at the moment, as her last two looks have had a pleated skirt.

Credit: Style.com, PA & Wenn

Angelababy's Delpozo Floral-Print Silk-Gazar Dress

Angelababy’s Delpozo Floral-Print Silk-Gazar Dress

Nina Dobrev's 7 For All Mankind Cut Off Shorts

Nina Dobrev’s 7 For All Mankind Cut Off Shorts

64 Responses to Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge In Alexander McQueen – Diamond Jubilee Thames River Pageant

1. Anne g June 3, 2012 at 16:39 #

I love this, she’s very elegant, I LOOOOVE the Hat

2. Leeann June 3, 2012 at 16:58 #

This won’t surprise you but I hate the shoes, the brooch is insignificant and don’t even get me started on the hat. dress was nice but still meh.

• Fashion Critic June 3, 2012 at 17:24 #

not at all :D

3. Riley June 3, 2012 at 17:03 #

This looks like everything she has already worn. Meh. The runway version would’ve been more interesting.

• Christine June 3, 2012 at 18:13 #

• EmmaWoodhouse June 3, 2012 at 18:44 #

Would the runway version have been appropriate?? I don’t know the details of royal protocol for dress. I kind of like Catherine’s version better but that’s just me :)

• kata June 4, 2012 at 00:31 #

she`s a duchess, it would not have been appropriate. plus, she would steal all the attention from the Queen and the event. geez, people.

• From the thumbnail I thought: Another Emilia Wickstead dress??? So, yeah, definitely kind of a deja-vu here.

4. Thais June 3, 2012 at 17:21 #

Oh dear God! Wonderful dress, horrible shoes! Why doesn’t anyone makes her throw them away? Such a beautiful dress…

• Manel June 3, 2012 at 18:23 #

This time I understand her for wearing comfortable Used shoes after all standing 4 hours can be torturing with brand new shoes.

• Thais June 3, 2012 at 19:28 #

I do understand the need for comfortable shoes…But let’s not forget all the options available to her as a Princess! She could have worn, I don’t know, cute ballerina flats, anything but these awful shoes!!!!!!

5. louisa June 3, 2012 at 17:27 #

The dress is really nice, but the shoes are terrible.. and the hair.. I really would like to see her with another hairstyle and make up!!!

• Alina June 3, 2012 at 18:48 #

6. Nadia June 3, 2012 at 17:46 #

I love Catherine I do but I really wish she didn’t think she had to prove she is “one of the people” You don’t always have to wear the same shoes or do your own make up or always wear your hair down.

We already like you (at least in my case) be a princess for god sake.

That being said I do like the dress.

7. EmmaWoodhouse June 3, 2012 at 17:54 #

Got to say that I adore this look–had she worn shoes with a fun tartan print I would have DIED! That said, the nude shoes don’t bother me TOO much, and the rest is so perfect! I love her in red–the fun fascinator reminds me of the maple leaf one she wore with her famous white Reiss dress in Canada. The scarf adds a cool touch, I like the brooch, and overall it’s a (very) early BDOTW contender!
    Yes, I may have a Catherine bias but I do like this look objectively as well. :D

• Dhppy June 3, 2012 at 21:24 #

Oh, tartan print shoes! Why did you have to put that out there? Now that’s all I want for this outfit.

8. EmmaWoodhouse June 3, 2012 at 17:55 #

P.S. Will looks dashing :D

9. Laura June 3, 2012 at 17:56 #

As Catherine has been stood for the past 4 hours I’m sure she needed something comfortable on her feet, let’s not forget that her shoes won’t even be seen whilst she’s stood on the deck of a boat! Her dress is the right balance of event appropriate, discretely fashionable and flattering to her slim figure. She looks chic and elegant. A thumbs up on this occasion from me.

• admmgz June 3, 2012 at 23:54 #

• Yeliz June 4, 2012 at 06:52 #

I totally agree.

10. irina June 3, 2012 at 17:57 #

boring shoes

11. marie June 3, 2012 at 17:59 #

i swear i’m starting to believe that those eyeliners are actually tattooed..her make up looks exactly the same..dare i say it, she’s not exactly young so harsh make up only makes her look severe.. i’m thinking she should hire diane kruger’s make up artist..she’s past thirty but she always manages to look so young and fresh..the outfit? nothing new here..and those shoes really have to go..

• Elena June 4, 2012 at 06:42 #

• Jones19 June 4, 2012 at 11:18 #

Diane Kruger does her own makeup most of the time so they should just have a couple of makeup sessions together so she can learn a few things :D

12. shap_half June 3, 2012 at 18:17 #

This is like the red version of her pink outfit from last week. I find her to be so insufferably boring and one-dimensional.

13. DP June 3, 2012 at 18:29 #

Just noticed that the Daily Fail’s coverage describes her as ‘resplendent in red’. Wonder if they posted it after you, FC- it’s an unusual choice of word!

About the outfit- the dress is nice, but I don’t like the hat, and it’s way too matchy matchy. She usually is, but it’s not so bad with muted pastel shades. In pillar box red it’s way too much.

• Fashion Critic June 3, 2012 at 18:32 #

I only look at their pictures…I have already read the commentary…on my site LOL.

• DP June 3, 2012 at 18:35 #

Hahaha! Just had a feeling they had read yours as they don’t usually have quick IDs and are also running a feature on the reruns. Guess they were inspired…

• Fashion Critic June 3, 2012 at 19:44 #

“Guess they were inspired…” – as always :)

• DP June 3, 2012 at 18:37 #

Oh, they also describe it as a ‘maritime themed brooch’. Now I’m really suspicious.

• 2c June 4, 2012 at 00:27 #

I came here to say this!!!! Lol it’s ridiculous

14. Mandy June 3, 2012 at 18:36 #

Before everyone starts with “horrible shoes” – the shoes are ok, the problem is that she’s wearing them all the time and with everything.

The dress is beautiful, adore the colour. I think some black pumps or sandals would have been better with that dress.

15. moja31 June 3, 2012 at 19:03 #

I like the hat, but I wish the accessories weren’t so dyed to match, she continues to be utterly uninspiring in that department.

16. couturecoco June 3, 2012 at 19:40 #

I love her whole look! It suits her and it is HRH the Queen’s day afterall.
    Could hardly keep my eyes on Catherine, while Prince William looks drop dead gorgeous in his uniform like that!

17. Gabriela June 3, 2012 at 20:10 #

What have we here?
    A perfect color that makes her shine, a very well tailored dress, funny hat, and gorgeous husband.
    All in all she looks great, but it’s the first time an Alexander McQueen results boring.
    The problem is not the dress and it’s lack of excitement, as it is a perfect choice for its color and cut. The problem is that she always wears the same kind of apparel.

18. Jkarwitha June 3, 2012 at 20:28 #

Talk of great royal fashion…they look great

19. Tina June 3, 2012 at 20:43 #

Love the colour and the dress, though similar to her other ones, fits her very well. Shoes are meh, but I’ve come to expect them as part of her package.

• Fashion Critic June 4, 2012 at 05:50 #

20. Hannah June 3, 2012 at 23:33 #

Her clutch is a modfied version of an Alexander McQueen skull clutch.
    Happy Jubilee!

• Fashion Critic June 4, 2012 at 05:51 #

thank you. happy jubilee

21. Kyriaki-Cyprus June 4, 2012 at 00:26 #

I was watching it live and when she got out of that car, I said ‘wow’. That colour was a great choice, and I loved the hat! We don’t wear hats here and I’m jealous everytime I see her and the other royals, and in general, the British for that matter, wearing one. Kate is boring but people who always comment on her shoes, hair and make-up are not. Oh well! With such vibrant dress, who cares about the shoes? For me, she brightened the day.

22. Molly June 4, 2012 at 00:33 #

Isnt wearing red in bad taste especially when everyone else is in pastels? Its like wearing red to someone elses wedding, and the Queen was wearing white!
    Its a nice enough dress but the shoes kill it and the red clutch and red hat are a little too matchy matchy for me. The hat is fantastic though.

23. J June 4, 2012 at 00:38 #

I wish she would learn how to wear prints. The monotone colors of her outfits and accessories are what make them so boring. This is a perfectly good dress – event appropriate, warm, colorful, well-tailored, and even interesting – but the styling is what makes it drab. I would much rather see a pair of black pumps (with a covered platform for heavens sake please) than those awful nude shoes again… which are not the right color nude for her skin tone.

on a wholly different topic… FC is it possible that designers loan her a lot of clothes? They must be dying to get their clothes on her, since it ensures widespread press. She might not actually have as many clothes in her closet as we think she does.

Lastly, I really hope she doesnt pay to much attention to what people say about how she dresses. She deserves the right to dress how she likes – to the extent that she is permitted – without always having to second guess herself. That much pressure can be debilitating, I would think

• Fashion Critic June 4, 2012 at 05:48 #

I believe the royals can’t accept gifts.

24. Zineb June 4, 2012 at 01:56 #

Why is the world calling her a modern day fairy tale princess? She is a Princess with 2 pairs of shoes for god’ sake!!!! Who wants that?! No thank you!

25. GGG June 4, 2012 at 02:05 #

Love it all! Even the boring shoes. At least she’s true to herself… I dig it :)

26. Marybeth June 4, 2012 at 03:02 #

I love this. (Especially if I ignore the shoes.)

The look is vibrant but still restrained enough not to upstage the Queen. It also complements Prince William’s uniform very well, again without over-shadowing. The two of them together get an A+ from me.

27. TL June 4, 2012 at 03:32 #

Same old Catherine we have here, but wait, I am not complaining about the dress and shoes, she looks pretty in red, even though I missed the old days when she wore the black and white zara dress, or the white dress on wimbledon. There may be a limit of “royal-elegant -appropriate styles” she can choose from, so that’s why she is wearing the same style in different colors.

For the shoes, I would pick a comfy frequented-wear shoes for a long stand too.

Two things I wish her to change are her hair and makeup.
    We’ve been seeing the same makeup since her royal wedding, we need something new and fresh. Like Marie said, she should take notes from Diane K’s makeup artist.
    Same as hair, there’s millions of elegant and pretty hairstyles she can choose from, please change it Kate!

28. Grace Patricia June 4, 2012 at 03:51 #

She’s boring in a way that I couldn’t even imagine. I thought it was quite boring wearing the same color over and over, but now I guess it’s even more boring wearing the same dress in different colors over and over.

• Annel June 4, 2012 at 11:34 #

Agree. And when you start comparing her to well, almost any of the other young royal females in Europe, she completely fades out as conservative, uninspired, one-dimensional and unstylish. And I don’t understand why English royals often seem to wear styles, cuts and make-up that age them a whole lot, when Britain has such strong and inspiring fashion brands.. Such a waste of great potential.

29. h-vogue June 4, 2012 at 05:10 #

love her whole look.she is elegant

30. Jess2 June 4, 2012 at 06:10 #

I think she looks lovely and I love the red on her. I actually like the shoes with this outfit and can’t blame her for going for comfort shoes over anything else.
    I don’t really worry about whether her outfits are boring or her shoes are boring because I don’t know what restrictions she may have for dressing.

31. Sarah June 4, 2012 at 07:16 #

It would have looked good with a gold hat.

32. Emi June 4, 2012 at 08:48 #

She looks absolutely lovely. I love red and it’s a great color for her. The hat is so cute. Sorry, FC, but Can I ask you why you always call her Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge while you just write Prince William? I mean, aren’t they the Dukes of Cambridge? Just for curiosity…

33. Ioana June 4, 2012 at 10:29 #

I don’t think a ROYAL could wear that RUNWAY VERSION ever! especially at such an important event, in which the QUEEN is the principal character.

I think Catherine was well-dressed for this occasion, as it looked kinda COLD in London (I watched the event on TV). Red really suits her and “lights up” her spirit.

BUT … I have to agree with the criticism about the SHOES (so boring!!) and the MAKE UP (too heavy!).

34. Jones19 June 4, 2012 at 11:20 #

I like this look. I would have loved it if she hadn’t wore that similar Emilia Wickstead dress just last week.

35. Emily June 4, 2012 at 11:54 #

After her run of navy-coloured outfits a while back I’m just so thankful to see her in something that isn’t navy or nude!! The red is a great shade on her and fits with the jubilee colours.

A tartan shoe would have KILLED it!

36. Amy June 4, 2012 at 14:14 #

The dress is nice!! however I’m doing an overdose of red with the hat, and the shoes aren’t the best choice.Anyway I like when she tries vibrant colors so this is a good look

37. Elaine2 June 4, 2012 at 15:21 #

I think a tartan shoe would have MADE it! (But she would have had to ditch that scarf).

I like the dress and the hat. Nice color!
    It looks quite similar to that red coat she wore on her last day in Canada. I think Duchess is in a colossal RUT.

• elaine2 June 5, 2012 at 16:26 #

I’ve changed my mind on the color. I think it was too bright for the occasion.

38. maggy June 4, 2012 at 15:29 #

I like this look. Much better than the previous one. I love the vibrant red and the hat. (Although, doesn’t it say somewhere that red should not be worn when you’re with the queen, because you shouldn’t upstage her?)
    I hate nude pumps as a rule, but I can live with them for this look for some reason. Although a pair of red shoes wouldd have mad my day. Then again red shoes often make my day and I’m a sucker for matchy matchy, so maybe that’s just me…

39. Shifa June 4, 2012 at 19:22 #

Didn’t Kim Kardashian wear the runway version? The duchess looks MUCH better

40. Liz loves Cam June 5, 2012 at 05:11 #

It’s not a maritime-themed brooch! It’s called the “dolphins,” and is the symbol of the Royal Navy Submarine Service. All of the Navy wear them once they’ve become full sailors.