Celebrities Love…Jumpsuits

As temperatures rise, celebrities are ditching basic sundresses for a more edgy and streamlined choice: jumpsuits.

Jumpsuits were all over the Spring 2012 runways, with designers like Derek Lam, Stella McCartney, Adam, Altuzarra and Diane von Furstenberg sending out an alternative silhouette option for warmer days.

Whether it’s sleeved or strapless, loose or cropped, the key to nailing this trend is all about proper tailoring.

Nicole Scherzinger opted to go nautical in Monte Carlo. Cameron Diaz balances out a long hemline with a perfect-fitting strapless bodice, wearing Stella McCartney at the ‘What To Expect When You’re Expecting’ UK premiere.

Cassie cinches her loose-fitting Salvatore Ferragamo Spring 2012 while stepping outside the Martinez Hotel in Cannes with a simple tie-belt, accentuating her waist and giving a more casual vibe to a wild print.

Over the past few weeks, we’ve seen the one-piece look pop up almost everywhere, from glamorous Cannes Film Festival ensembles, as seen on Eva Longoria wearing Elie Saab during a guest appearance on ‘Le Grand Journal’, to casual travelling gear at the airport, a la Diane Kruger, who arrived in Nice wearing a comfortable black number from Anthropologie.

Will you be trying out this new summer trend?

Reiss ‘Augusta’ crepe jumpsuit Reiss US and Reiss UK
Miss Selfridge cowl neck jumpsuit MissSelfridge
J. Crew strapless printed silk jumpsuit Net-A-Porter.com
Philosophy di Alberta Ferretti cross-back stretch-crepe jumpsuit Net-A-Porter.com
ASOS wide leg cut-out jumpsuit ASOS.com

Credit: FameFlynet & Getty

Alice Eve's Antonio Berardi Patent Paneled Stretch Crepe Dress

Alice Eve’s Antonio Berardi Patent Paneled Stretch Crepe Dress

2012 Glamour Women of the Year Awards

2012 Glamour Women of the Year Awards

10 Responses to Celebrities Love…Jumpsuits

1. Ioana May 30, 2012 at 17:11 #

I really like this trend.

What do you think, Fashion Critic, can someone wear a jumpsuit (an elegant one, of course) at the prom?

• Fashion Critic May 30, 2012 at 17:17 #

I don’t see why not. is that your plan?

• Jones19 May 30, 2012 at 23:19 #

I’d love to be brave enough to wear a jumpsuit to prom. Do it! You’ll be cool and different from everyone else :)

2. Yeliz May 30, 2012 at 17:31 #

I absolutely love this trend but it depends on how you style a jumpsuit and how it fits.

I love the one Diane wore and the one Cameron wore is also great but the pants should’ve been tailored.

From to ones you pictured FC, I like the one from Asos and the one from Miss Selfridge.

3. EmmaWoodhouse May 30, 2012 at 17:48 #

Not a fan of this trend but I kind of like the belted ASOS one. It looks almost ’40s-ish :D

4. Tahj May 30, 2012 at 19:44 #

I’m hoping this jumpsuit trend dies like it should have in the 70s.

5. Riley May 30, 2012 at 19:50 #

FC I am 5’8 but want to look 5’10 like you. Should I tailor the pants around my calves for a slimming effect and wear nude heels?

Fashion help from a pro :)

Height really helps to pull jumpsuits off. They can look unflattering (Cameron Diaz) or ducking amazing (see Krugelz and Nicole Kardashian lol).

• Fashion Critic May 30, 2012 at 20:08 #

I would wear nude heels.

6. Ahot May 30, 2012 at 22:38 #

It is a summer basic for me, i´ve always loved a good jumpsuit. But again, i am more for personal style then blindly following trends. Happy it´s in though, because there will be more amazing designs to buy!

7. manja May 31, 2012 at 08:33 #

never worn one myself but when it fits someone I dont minde,like here with NS and DK,looks very slick and elegant.CD wld’ve been great if pants were better tailored.