29.05.12

Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge Repeats Her Emilia Wickstead Dress

Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge joined other royals at Buckingham Palace this evening for the Queen’s garden party.

I was shocked to see that she was wearing the same Emilia Wickstead dress she wore to Royal Sovereign’s lunch in honour of the Queen’s Jubilee at Windsor Castle just two weeks ago.

The penny pinching princess added a Jane Corbett hat, her favourite LK Bennett nude pumps and an LK Bennett clutch on this occasion.

Whilst there is nothing wrong with repeating, did she have to wear it again so soon?

Is Kate running out of ideas, or do you approve of her quick recycling (and improvement) of this look?

Credit: Getty

Kristen Bell In 3.1 Phillip Lim - ‘City of Style’ Book Launch

Kristen Bell In 3.1 Phillip Lim – ‘City of Style’ Book Launch

Alesha Dixon's Julien Macdonald Kyoto Embellished Silk Satin Gown

Alesha Dixon’s Julien Macdonald Kyoto Embellished Silk Satin Gown

84 Responses to Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge Repeats Her Emilia Wickstead Dress

1. Nanda May 29, 2012 at 20:53 #

Love the recycling, in these hard times she is showing restrain even though she has cash to buy whatever she wants. Also, I believe their handlers approve of it, nothing is on the spur of the moment all is well calculated for the royalty. Good press and good PR.

• Riley May 29, 2012 at 21:14 #

I agree you with you Nanda. But the dress is still aging and snoozeville.

• nina May 29, 2012 at 21:15 #

cash and style are two different things… am sure LK Bennett (or any other brand) doesn’t sell only boring nude pumps…

• jill May 30, 2012 at 14:01 #

maybe she think that nude pumps always suit with every dress colour.

• Jacqui May 29, 2012 at 21:17 #

This beautiful lady never ceases to be a great role model. How can you criticize her for being frugal? How admirable that despite being in the spotlight constantly, she realizes that there are far more important things in life than fashion. She looks and obviously feels great in this dress. She has every right to wear it again. I’ve worn my favorite dress twice within two weeks. Why shouldn’t she?

• admmgz May 29, 2012 at 22:25 #

• Lee May 30, 2012 at 03:07 #

• maria May 30, 2012 at 08:31 #

• amparo May 29, 2012 at 22:27 #

you are rigth!!

• deedee May 29, 2012 at 23:39 #

well said. I couldn’t agree more.

• nina May 30, 2012 at 01:52 #

I don’t mean this in a mean way, but you CAN wear the same dress twice – even within the week (I do) – because you are not in the spotlight. Catherine is the Duchess of Cambridge. If she wears the same dress within a couple of days, then it screams more PR strategy rather than role model. She could have chosen ANY other dress.
        And beside, looking good in public, doesn’t mean that one is dumb, nor that fashion is the most important thing in ones life. Women like Jacqueline de Ribes, Babe Paley, Gloria Vanderbilt were icons of style, beauty and wit.

• Ines May 30, 2012 at 09:10 #

As Michelle Obama told her husband: you can still be powerful and stylish.

Also, not intended to be mean but: what is the concept of royalty if they have to appear normal? What is the point then? I don’t want the future queen of England to be normal, I want to be wowed by her whether I see her, hear her speak or see her do charity. If I want her to be normal, I can still look at people around me. For now she does not speak, she did not find a real cause that gives her international or real national exposure. The only thing left is her style – with very sporadic apparitions, she is definitely not overworked – If she can’t find a dress in 10 days while most first lady or other royalties can and without breaking the bank then really, what is left?

PR all around or laziness, that’s for sure..

• Amy May 30, 2012 at 12:10 #

I agree with you on some points
            I have nothing against Catherine (she’s pretty and seems to behave well) but I’m still waiting to see her doing some major work.
            People say she’s a role model,I don’t think so, not yet, right now she’s just a woman who dresses nice.
            However I have no problem with recycling (PR-staged or not)

• Beta May 30, 2012 at 09:13 #

as somebody who finances a royal family with my taxes, I agree with you Nanda. No problem with me in repeaing clothes, we all do!

• noo May 30, 2012 at 10:10 #

i don’t think catherine receives tax payer money.

• Beta May 31, 2012 at 07:45 #

just the cost of security for the royal family adds up for millions.

2. EmmaWoodhouse May 29, 2012 at 20:58 #

While I liked the dress very much the first time, I think the presentation is better–love the hat and though I’m sure many people will moan about the pumps they don’t bother me. (They’re not an ugly platform pump or anything). As for recycling the look, I must say I don’t mind it–if she really likes the dress there is no reason she shouldn’t wear it again, even in such a close time frame.
    I even think the second look is BDOTW worthy, since the excitement of Cannes is over.

• nina May 29, 2012 at 21:26 #

oh pleaseee! this thing of using the same dress is becoming more PR strategy than being a role model. I am sure she has plenty of dresses to wear but she chooses to wear something she wore just a couple of days ago, so people can notice. she tries way too hard.

• EmmaWoodhouse May 29, 2012 at 23:01 #

I didn’t say that because she wore the dress twice, ergo, she’s a role model. I didn’t mention role models at all, so I’m a bit confused by your reply. I said if she LIKES the dress I think she can wear it twice in a row–what’s wrong with that? I also don’t really think we can decide on her motivations…who’s to say if she was trying to be *noticed*? As for trying too hard, I don’t think that describes repeating a dress at all.

• nina May 30, 2012 at 01:55 #

sorry. the reply was meant for the comment before urs :-)) my mistake

• EmmaWoodhouse May 30, 2012 at 17:05 #

Oh, Okay. Lol :D

• DejaVu May 30, 2012 at 00:28 #

+1 nina. I thought the exact same thing…….

3. nina May 29, 2012 at 21:08 #

the dress is nice and there’s nothing wrong in repeating, but she is – as always – booooooooooring. and she needs to tone down the make up. her face doesn’t look fresh and clean, like princess of monaco’s.

• Beta May 30, 2012 at 09:21 #

charlene’s make up is always perfect, she always looks lovely.

• Delphine May 31, 2012 at 19:50 #

+ 1

4. TL May 29, 2012 at 21:11 #

Even though she looks pretty and elegant as always, I think it’s too soon to wear the same outfit again.

She could add some different elements to it, maybe a belt, or do a updo or side bun hairstyle, even change her eye makeup would make this outfit more interesting.

• sonia May 29, 2012 at 21:40 #

I agree! Repeating is fine, but I wouldn’t have repeated a look from a week ago, she has hundreds of dresses she hadn’t worn for decades I guess! give then a try to “hang around” again!!! ;-)

5. Yeliz May 29, 2012 at 21:21 #

I also think that it’s ok to recycle a dress but not in such a short time, at least not for a Duchess. Her styling was improved though.

6. Elly May 29, 2012 at 21:25 #

There was a lot of furore about the cost of this dress given the current economic climate, so I think this is a PR related move…

• Mikayla May 30, 2012 at 06:43 #

I agree with the PR idea. Sure it’s nice that she recycles, because most people do. But we shouldn’t be naive enough to think it is a natural move for her to wear the same dress twice. The royals public image is probably on of the most important aspects of their life, and everything they do (where they go, what they wear) is controlled. They know what they are doing, they wan’t us to think Catherine is as normal as you and me.
      I think she does it well, and even though her style is a little boring, she always looks beautiful.

7. Nadia May 29, 2012 at 21:31 #

She is soo overrated! Her style is… She doesn’t have one! So boriiing! Only interesting to the people of UK

• Delphine May 31, 2012 at 19:50 #

I agree !!!

8. Jotinha May 29, 2012 at 21:34 #

Como se ela estivesse pobre por repetir o vestido. Até parece q vcs não repetem.

9. Dhppy May 29, 2012 at 21:34 #

Two weeks is far too quick a turnaround for a dress on high profile occasions. Usually, the Duchess waits a bit longer to recycle unless she’s travelling. Who knows? Maybe The Queen really liked it and suggested she wear it again. I can see that. It seems close The Queen’s style.

10. Artemis May 29, 2012 at 21:47 #

I know that most people here will disagree with me, but I find that quick recyclement a little bit “hypocritical” of her and a straight out PR game!She doesn’t even need to spent time for fashion to get another amazing dress..she has a BUNCH of them on her feet and for free!

• Thais May 30, 2012 at 04:27 #

I thought the same when I saw the dress again so soon!

• Dhppy May 30, 2012 at 05:14 #

I believe, that unlike celebrities, the Royals don’t accept gifts or loans of clothing or jewelry from companies and pay for those out of pocket.

• Beta May 30, 2012 at 10:07 #

to my knowledge spanish royals have been reported to accept gifts from spanish designers like Felipe Varela in a number of occasions.

• Artemis May 30, 2012 at 10:51 #

To be honest I don’t know if they are supposed to accept gifts but I think they accept many gifts for sure..Even if she doesn’t accept gifts how can we believe that she doesn’t make for example on line purchases all the time! I think that people in general don’t want to accept how privileged those people are..They want to believe that Kate loves her dress and wants to wear it again! Com’on!!…To make it clear I have no problem with wealthy people, I think it’s normal for them to spent money..they should do that! But I have problem that Kate can play that PR game I mentioned..that makes me “crazy” ;-)

11. Christine May 29, 2012 at 21:50 #

Nothing wrong with recycling but I am so bored with her style.

12. Ramsay May 29, 2012 at 21:59 #

I have said before and I will say it again: she is quite boring fashion wise – All her looks are too polished, too plain vanilla, too deja-vu – and I don’t mean she should dress any other way- I think her fashion sense is perfectly appropriate for a Princess, but I don’t understand the fashion’s world fascination with her – we know she’s a total snooze, we are not asking her to be anything else, still we keep following her fashion – I don’t get it – and that look is OK but really not interesting at all

• Amy May 30, 2012 at 12:20 #

actually the fashion world isn’t that excited about her. They were pre-wedding and the next months following but after that nothing. I read a lot of mags and She barely appears, only british and some US large public mags feature her.

• anemone May 30, 2012 at 14:08 #

well, as the Fug Girls said so well: despite of what some people seem to think, appropriate is not a bad word.
      And I for one like the way she dresses. She is not an actress or a singer, out there to promote herself. Half of the times she is featured on this site it is when she is visiting veteran’s groups or children with cancer and frankly, what is she supposed to wear then? something that screems look at me, how fashionable I am? or something that is, well, appropriate? As for the boring shoes, she has to stand on them for hours and hours, so again, what should she wear? I have lived in the UK for years, and seeing all these half naked, vulgar, drunken girls all the time ( I am not saying all English girls are like this, not at all, just saying that you see a fair amount of cheap and vulgar in England) Catherine is quite refreshing and I really would like her style to take on. Lots of people would really benefit from a more conservative, appropriate approach to clothing …

• EmmaWoodhouse May 30, 2012 at 18:13 #

Just had to give you a shout-out for mentioning the Fug Girls. Love them. Another of my favorite Fashion Blogs.

• Laura June 1, 2012 at 19:27 #

13. Manel May 29, 2012 at 22:22 #

I think that by repeating the same dress to soon she wants the focus to be on the queen.

• Fashion Critic May 29, 2012 at 22:26 #

I would say if that was the plan, it failed. Now we are focusing on the repeat

• Manel May 29, 2012 at 22:40 #

I agree big failure

• noo May 29, 2012 at 23:31 #

had she repeated something from last year or from before her wedding (which she dis in zara phillips’ wedding) it would have been much suitable to the event.

14. Agathe May 29, 2012 at 22:22 #

Repeating is OK but even I (not being a princess) wouldn’t wear the same dress 2 weeks after wearing it at a party with the same people. I’m sure she has great dresses from last year.

15. Molly May 29, 2012 at 23:02 #

I dont care that she is repeating, but I think its too soon? I know that a lot of people were commenting that she spent a lot of money on such a basic dress for someone who claims to be frugal, so its obvious that there is a bit of damage control going on here, but I think she should have waited a month or two.
    I dont care for this dress because I dont think its flattering on Kate. She has a small chest and all of her clothes seem to be too big in that department and this one is no exception. She needs to have her clothes better fitted or find more flattering styles.

16. Carol May 29, 2012 at 23:20 #

She should have mixed it up with her navy stuff.
    How sad is it that I know the contents of her closet…

17. Karis May 29, 2012 at 23:20 #

I feel Catherine is stuck between a rock and a hard place a lot of the time. Whilst I don’t particularly like the dress she obviously does and I don’t see nothing wrong with repeating the dress so quickly. I know myself and a lot of my friends – and women in general – wear their favourite pieces twice, three, even four times a month.
    If she repeats dresses and is seen to be frugal she is criticised but if she was to buy new designer dresses every week in this economic climate she would be criticised too. She is walking a very fine line trying to be fashionable, royality appropriate and diplomatic all at the same time. Sometimes it won’t be to everyone’s tastes but she seems happy.

• Distracted_gaze May 30, 2012 at 04:04 #

“She is walking a very fine line trying to be fashionable, royality appropriate and diplomatic all at the same time.” – So is the First Lady of USA except for the royalty part. But we know who dresses better!

• Ines May 30, 2012 at 09:13 #

You could add Queen Rania of Jordan who is walking on an even thinner line, CP Mary of Denmark, CP Letizia of Spain and so many others…

18. noo May 29, 2012 at 23:35 #

i love the alterations in styling! even though i hate nude shoes, i can tolerate them more than satin shoes. and that hat is soooooo pretty i want one for myself.

PS: i wish that catherine would retire her lk benett natalie clutch because it is not as versatile as she thinks, sometimes it just seems like overkill :S

19. moja31 May 29, 2012 at 23:40 #

eh she wore it precisely so everyone would ooh and ah about how frugal & normal she is, so mission accomplished on that front. Better styling on this outing, but still too matronly despite the little girl color. Queen Anne Marie of Greece was wearing pretty much the exact same dress at the last event, and she’s got to be at least 60!

• noo May 30, 2012 at 02:17 #

65 i think, and looked much better on her :D

20. mandy May 30, 2012 at 01:09 #

Oh common. Just because she repeat one two dresses doesn’t mean she is being frugal. It merely means, she is repeating her gorgeous dress. Period. Gorgeous gorgeous ! But then again, with her slim frame she’s look good in practically anything.

21. Luiza May 30, 2012 at 01:10 #

I really like her! Her style, her posture, her beauty and the recycling! She is not a star and I think she always dresses accordingly to her duties. She always looks like a princess! And I’m not from the UK.

22. The Beauty Philosopher May 30, 2012 at 01:59 #

Given the economic issues facing Britain and Europe and the face that Kate is one of the most publicly prominent figures of the British Monarchy, I think her decision to recycle is a strategic one – to show that even a duchess wears the same outfit more than once.

23. Emma May 30, 2012 at 03:01 #

It would be so much better with a different shoe! the nude and pink is…ugh!

24. Shaina May 30, 2012 at 03:23 #

I would probably wait another week or two before wearing the dress again but for the most part I don’t think it’s a big deal. Just because she is in the public eye doesn’t make it wrong to re-wear a dress. But again, I would probably wait a little longer. At least she wore it in a different way, and better way too.

25. fashionregion May 30, 2012 at 04:46 #

so elegant! love the color!

26. Laura May 30, 2012 at 05:20 #

Don’t get why Kate recycle her dress can be an issue. I think Kate can wear whatever she wants, at anytime. Just because she is famous, people are commenting on it. Just as long she looks presentable, it should be good enough. She does not have to be a fashion icon just because she is a princess now. Btw, Kate looks great. Always.

• Lee May 30, 2012 at 22:00 #

I wholeheartedly agree.. she never married Prince William to become a global fashion icon. And if it was a PR stunt to prove that she’s ‘frugal’ which it was probably not.. who cares anyway.. she likes the dress, she looks good in it and that’s all that really matters.

27. Anemily May 30, 2012 at 05:43 #

Yet another first world problem…

• oksana May 30, 2012 at 19:06 #

+1 and you are awesome

28. Annnn May 30, 2012 at 09:33 #

Why marry a prince if you want to keep it simple?
    Same for Bonnie Wright ” why on earth come to Cannes”??:D

29. msd May 30, 2012 at 10:26 #

Wow, I thought Indian fans were snarky about Aishwarya Rai but Brits leave them for dead when it comes to Kate.

She looks fine and it’s not a big deal that she wore it twice.

30. christine May 30, 2012 at 10:32 #

it pretty much always looks like she’s wearing the same outfit. her style is lame. she only gets attention for it because she’s a royal and because she wears designer brands.

31. Amy May 30, 2012 at 12:16 #

I have no problem with her recycling the dress.The truth is I no longer care about her style since she’s always appropriate, clean but so unexciting.

32. Charlie2000 May 30, 2012 at 12:54 #

This dress is simply AWFUL and something that ONLY the Queen’s generation should be wearing…

33. effieee May 30, 2012 at 13:02 #

Although she looks lovely and better on this occasion than the last outing, she really should’ve held off repeating it so soon. Or repeated a more interesting dress. She needs to discover Alessandra Rich.

34. Lee Ann May 30, 2012 at 13:43 #

The hat is absolutely hideous and does not work with the dress. I question her thrift in spending £1200 for such a poorly tailored dress. i stopped buying Emilia Wickstead when she raised her prices to this level mainly because the tailoring is poor. I would love to see her in a flower printed Erdem-same price better tailoring and more Wow!

35. hero May 30, 2012 at 13:45 #

I agree its a PR move.She has plenty of dresses from her Canada tour to repeat! This dress somehow does not suit her either…not sure why…she is so slim that if she cannot wear knife pleats not sure who can.I think she looks better this time around with her hair off her face- last time it just hung too heavy around her face and she had too much makeup on too.Do not like the colour of herhat …I think she should have gone with a straw coloured hat.

36. Susie May 30, 2012 at 15:37 #

Definitely applaud recycling, but maybe not so soon? I’m pretty sure she has something else in her closet she could have worn.

37. Elaine2 May 30, 2012 at 15:47 #

I don’t really consider her frugal. Didn’t that dress cost $1800? And that hat couldn’t have been inexpensive, either. Speaking of the hat, the lace doilies cheapen it, IMO.

Let’s not even talk about her hair…..or her awful makeup.

38. Ioana May 30, 2012 at 16:45 #

maybe she doesn’t care about fashion and her looks at all.

I don’t blame the repeating. I blame the lack of imagination. In my opinion, you can create wonderful outfits with not-so expensive items.

Anyway, I like how she styled her look on the second occasion. Love the hat!

39. Jill May 30, 2012 at 18:19 #

I wish more celebrities recycled their clothes

40. Grace Patricia May 30, 2012 at 18:53 #

Repeating the dress is ok, it’s even applaud worthy. Always repeating the same boring looks is not ok. But if she likes being plain, it’s ok for her.

41. Natalie19 May 31, 2012 at 01:05 #

Those shoes!!!! It hurts to look…….horrible

42. Louise May 31, 2012 at 06:47 #

This is a bit too soon!! And please… Can she do something with her hair .. It NEVER change.. Always the same and this is even more shoking to me!!

43. Mary May 31, 2012 at 18:50 #

While I agree it is a bit too soon (2 weeks?!) to re-wear, at least she tried to change up the look a bit. Her hair is very beautiful; why should she change it when it works?