28.05.12 Beauty, Hair

Beauty Trend Spotting: Red Carpet Curls

Summer is here and with it comes a more relaxed get-up-go approach to hair.

So it looks like we’re waving goodbye to the ironed-flat Brazilian Blow-out and relaxers and saying “Hello curls”, or in Halle’s words, “This is what you call wash-and-wear beach hair. It’s ready to go!”

Singers Brandy Norwood and Solange Knowles have also gone for grown-out bouncy curls recently, but whether your ringlets are real or have been given a helping hand with a curling iron or hair extensions, the secret is a great conditioner according to stylist Oscar James, whose clients include Tyra Banks, Vanessa Williams, Halle Berry, Iman and Beyonce.

‘It’s paramount that you start with deep conditioner always,’ he says. ‘Deep conditioning means healthy hair.’

* Here are Oscar’s tips for a great head of curls:

* Shampoo the hair, give it a great conditioner and use heat on it.

* Then rinse and blow it dry. I don’t really use a product before blowing out because when you put heat on a product, hair tends to look oily.

* Use a quarter-size iron to curl all around in no real pattern, and curl it haphazardly to get free-form curls in all directions.

* Finish with a holding spray and a little pomade to give shine and texture and help the curls stay where you put them.

The hair products you will need:

Carols Daughter Hair Milk Curl Nourishing ShampooSephora.com
Moraccan Oil Restorative Hair MaskAmazon
Joico Curl Definer CremeAmazon
Aussie 3-Minute Miracle ReconstructorBoots.com
Paul Mitchell Hold Me Tight Hair Spray Hair SprayAmazon
Ouidad Clear Control PomadeSephora.com

Credit: Getty

Jennifer Lopez In Zuhair Murad - 'Goin' In' Launch Party

Jennifer Lopez In Zuhair Murad – ‘Goin’ In’ Launch Party

Cannes Film Festival 2012 Readers' & Critics' Favourites Day by Day

Cannes Film Festival 2012 Readers’ & Critics’ Favourites Day by Day

8 Responses to Beauty Trend Spotting: Red Carpet Curls

1. the(un?)social butterfly May 28, 2012 at 14:55 #

I love it — it´s just so relaxed and has a world traveller vibe, don´t you think? Like, you know, I´m so multicultural and throw so many different influences on my look.

2. EmmaWoodhouse May 28, 2012 at 15:40 #

Bold and beautifully natural. Brandy’s hair looks the best imo.

3. Gabriela May 28, 2012 at 15:58 #

I live in a humid summer city, so in summer I abandon the idea of a flat iron, and I just embrace my hair, and rely on leave-in conditioner for taming my wavy hair.

• Badaboum May 28, 2012 at 18:16 #

“What I really like of this trend is the underlying idea that naturally curly hair is beautiful as well, and that it’s not necessary to chemically relax your hair in order to be stylish.”

+1!

It is very refreshing to see naturally curly hair on the red carpet. I am in awe thinking abour Viola Davis at the Oscar this year! Would that have been possible 10 years ago?

Even if Solange’s hair is obviously a weave/wig, it is still very nice to see afro hair on the red carpet.

Love it! Thank you Rachel for the tips!

4. Mimz May 28, 2012 at 16:15 #

Not trying to be funny, but the key products you need: A nice long curly weave..then these products, Solange has natural hair but for this volume she augments with a weave. Ciao x

• la mala May 28, 2012 at 23:18 #

• L June 1, 2012 at 22:09 #

Yes people, this is African american hair we are talking about. It’s a weave! and some good one’s at that!

5. Natalie May 28, 2012 at 18:02 #

15 years spent relaxing my hair and then celebrities decide they want to embrace their (faux) curls. FML.