The one person who hasn’t let us down over the last 12 days is Diane Kruger.

She not only fulfilled her jury duties, but she didn’t disappoint on the red carpet either. Not that we were expecting her to.

Tonight at the Cannes Film Festival closing ceremony and ‘Therese Desqueyroux’ premiere, she went out with a bang wearing a Christian Dior Spring 2012 Couture gown.

I had expected Chanel, but this checkered sleeveless ball gown with black lace embroidered details was perfect for her swan song.

For some reason, I can picture her waltzing down the red carpet like a screen siren from an old black-and-white movie.

As always, her makeup is flawless with a pink shimmering lip colour.

A simple ponytail and dazzling earrings completed her look.

Credit: Style.com & Getty

Arielle Kebbel's Alexandre Birman Linen & Cork Criss Cross Pumps

Arielle Kebbel’s Alexandre Birman Linen & Cork Criss Cross Pumps

Kylie Minogue In Roberto Cavalli - ‘Therese Desqueyroux’ Cannes Film Festival Premiere & Closing Ceremony

Kylie Minogue In Roberto Cavalli – ‘Therese Desqueyroux’ Cannes Film Festival Premiere & Closing Ceremony

66 Responses to Diane Kruger In Christian Dior Couture – ‘Therese Desqueyroux’ Cannes Film Festival Premiere & Closing Ceremony

1. Médée May 27, 2012 at 18:31 #

I saw her ten seconds ago on the TV retransmission of the ceremony and I came straight here. It’s a gorgeous dress and it was facinating to see her walk in it.

2. L'wren May 27, 2012 at 18:32 #

If Fan Bingbing is the Queen of Redcarpet,then Diane must be
    the Muse!

3. Yeliz May 27, 2012 at 18:40 #

Love, love, love!

I was a little bit uncertain about how this gown would look on the red carpet but it was unnecessary thinking when Diane is the person who is wearing it.
    After 11 days I really don’t know which words to use to describe her flawlessness.

Thank you Diane for being such a glamourous and stunning jury member at this year’s festival.

4. Riosanna May 27, 2012 at 18:42 #

c’est magnifique

WoW, not an easy look to pull of, and she does it with ease

• Sea May 27, 2012 at 22:57 #

Can’t agree more! Almost each time she brings something different or even unexpected, yet it’s always true to her style. I can never get enough of her.

• Wong Hiao Hiao May 28, 2012 at 00:29 #

Wow. Who would have thought that the English language would run out of words to describe her fabulousness?

5. Rebecca Z May 27, 2012 at 18:44 #

What fun! She looks amazing, but Camilla Alves still takes the prize.

6. Iris May 27, 2012 at 18:52 #

Only Diane Kruger can wear a checkered gown and look like a million bucks.

7. Sherry May 27, 2012 at 19:00 #

where is the much anticipated, much hyped Angelina Jolie pics.

8. Jeremy May 27, 2012 at 19:01 #

Diane Kruger will forever be my best red-carpet, she can work the edgiest dresses and transform them into her own style so gracefully. She’s not predictable yet we can assure that she will never disappoint us.

9. Ioana May 27, 2012 at 19:02 #

she ended her Cannes fashion journey in an amazing way, just as I was expecting…
    I am not a personal fan of checkered/patterned dresses, but…she’s working it!!!

I hope to see at least one of Diane’s Cannes gowns in the BDOTY poll :) for me, it’s the Giambattista Valli Couture gown, from the opening ceremony: http://www.redcarpet-fashionawards.com/2012/05/16/diane-kruger-in-giambattista-valli-couture-moonrise-kingdom-cannes-film-festival-premiere-opening-ceremony/

it’s unforgettable!

10. red May 27, 2012 at 19:11 #

Yes Diane really has delivered throughout the entire festival! Though what i can’t help thinking is that if Marion Cotillard had won the actress award she would have probably been wearing this gown!

11. robbie May 27, 2012 at 19:17 #

the dress is ugly, but she looks beautiful.

• Gabriela May 28, 2012 at 12:05 #

+1 Amém!!!

12. Ela May 27, 2012 at 19:21 #

Perfection exception for one teeny tiny thing, Wished she had wrapped her blonde hair around that black hairband. No, forget it, she is perfection.

• lu May 27, 2012 at 21:46 #

I thoght the same thig about the hairband! but, we can give her a pass for being so perfect!

13. Fanny May 27, 2012 at 19:23 #

This is a stunning gown and she looks fab, but i must say Frida wears it better!

14. Grace May 27, 2012 at 19:26 #

Whilst the gown is beautiful, I LOATHE pony tails on the red carpet, especially with Diane’s black hairbands showing. The hair looks so much like an afterthought, it brings the whole look down.

• Gabriela May 27, 2012 at 19:46 #

+ 1

I was so afraid of saying this, but we had the same thought.
      La Kruger is perfection on the red carpet, but this particular ponytail is so mediocre and bland, looks like she put it together in the last minute.

She always gets it so right, but the hair….

• Valerie May 27, 2012 at 19:50 #

Agree. I understand that she wants to let the dress do all the talking and keep her hair simple. But a pony tail like that is too casual for me on the red carpet. But I can look past it on this occasion, she looks stunning.

• Linda May 27, 2012 at 20:27 #

Yeah, I wasn’t going to say anything either, it seems like nitpicking when she looks so fantastic otherwise, but the ponytail does bother me a bit.

• christine May 27, 2012 at 23:20 #

i agree about the ponytail. if she had done her hair similar to the model’s she would have been perfection as usual, but still, she is gorgeous.

• KateS May 28, 2012 at 07:25 #

This! Diane wears clothes brilliantly, but her hair is so often disappointing (it seems thin, which I guess makes it difficult to work with), and it really lets down an otherwise impeccable look here.

15. fran May 27, 2012 at 19:34 #

She looks like Marie Antoinette. Amazing!

• Zineb May 27, 2012 at 20:23 #

She played marie-Antoinette in her most recent movie ;)

16. Elle May 27, 2012 at 19:38 #

‘The one person who hasn’t let us down over the last 11 days is Diane Kruger.’ – SO TRUE. She looks like a million bucks!

I’m kinda curious about how she would have looked with her hair down with this dress though… Maybe with some Hollywood siren curls a la the runway model..

17. Christine May 27, 2012 at 19:50 #

What a great way to end Cannes! She is remarkable!!

18. asherlev1 May 27, 2012 at 19:52 #

LOVE. Diane always looks just fine to me, but this is AMAZING. Just. *BOW*

19. Ramsay May 27, 2012 at 19:53 #

Yes it’s grand very geand – the proortions are not easy to pull off but she does effortlessly – flawless throughout the festival – not one misstep – well done

20. LeeAnn May 27, 2012 at 20:01 #

Stunning

• Fashion Critic May 27, 2012 at 20:07 #

No Dior post is certified without your approval :D

• Lee Ann May 29, 2012 at 12:41 #

:-)

21. Zineb May 27, 2012 at 20:10 #

You can not imagine how this gown looked on TV! Phenomenal ! Seeing her walking down the stage along with the jury was quite a fashion moment ! This is the Diane I love and this is the drama that I’ve been longing for! Thank you Diane !

22. Liz May 27, 2012 at 20:26 #

FC, how many spots can one person occupy on the BDOTY list from one festival? IMO Diane deserves about half of them ;)

• Fashion Critic May 27, 2012 at 21:12 #

i think she will cover them all lol

23. Fer May 27, 2012 at 20:33 #

I love the shape of the dress, i just don’t like that much the fabric, plaid, i don’t know, i just thought she was going to make our jaws drop, but, this is an amazing look, i just wished for more..

Cannes will be really missed.

24. Emi May 27, 2012 at 20:41 #

She looks gorgeous, the dress, so ’700, is a dream.

25. Amy May 27, 2012 at 20:49 #

sorry, I just don’t like the huge hips. However Diane makeup si flawless as always the whole look is OK

26. Ana May 27, 2012 at 21:31 #

Im sorry but to me it id just nice.

27. CB May 27, 2012 at 22:00 #

You should do a best dressed poll of all of Diane’s Cannes looks. I’d love to see them all over again in one spot and it would be interesting to see which one would be picked as the overall favorite.

• Shaina May 27, 2012 at 22:57 #

I second this.

• Mol May 28, 2012 at 04:05 #

Ditto

• EmmaWoodhouse May 28, 2012 at 15:38 #

+3 if it isn’t too much trouble…that would be fun! :)

28. Bec May 27, 2012 at 22:19 #

Can you imagine what her luggage was like on her way to Cannes?! haha stunning as always!

• Fashion Critic May 27, 2012 at 22:21 #

In Cannes all the major designers have suites full of gowns and accessories.

Elie Saab, Marchesa, Versace, Alberta Ferretti, Sergio Rossi, Chopard all have suites in hotels at Cannes so everything is there for her. She wouldn’t really need to bring that much to be honest.

• Zineb May 28, 2012 at 00:22 #

Eva Longoria on the opposite said when she came to Le Grand Journal that she brought with her in each suitcase a gown, a dress or an outfit. She brought it all with her. When I was watching, I told myself how the hell did she manage to put that froufrou Marchesa gown of her day 1 in a suitcase? haha

• Fashion Critic May 28, 2012 at 06:14 #

No way….she is exaggerating. Marchesa had a suite full of gowns. Shipping it from the US herself would’ve been unnecessary.

29. alex May 27, 2012 at 22:32 #

ABSOLUTELY AMAZING.

30. Jones19 May 27, 2012 at 22:33 #

I’m swooning over here! She’s the reigning queen of Cannes for sure.

31. Scarlett May 27, 2012 at 22:47 #

For me, she’s been the sartorial highlight of the last 12 days, it’s been a joy to see her take to the red carpet on every occasion. I can even forgive the ponytail tonight because that dress takes some real balls to pull off.

32. Emma May 27, 2012 at 22:49 #

Sensational! Just when I thought I couldn’t love her any more.

33. EmmaWoodhouse May 27, 2012 at 22:51 #

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!! Thank you Diane for going out with a BANG!!! So excited by this look–it’s so dramatic and vintage yet modern–completely couture! The checks and appliqued lace are hard to pull off, yet she does it with lovely grace and aplomb. Makeup and earrings=gorgeous. The ponytail is a bit of letdown–she should have worn a Grace Kelly French twist. Other than that, perfection. I wouldn’t love this dress on everyone, that’s for sure, but Diane is OWNING it. She has really won me over to her style!
    All of this said, it may not make it into my top 10, (there’ve been SO many amazing looks!) but it’s close!

34. Shaina May 27, 2012 at 22:59 #

I’m not a fan of the crazy, structural hips but the gown is beautiful nonetheless and she as always looks radiant. I do agree that her hair is kind of a let down but with a gown so big, that is the last thing I’m looking at!

35. Mujid May 27, 2012 at 23:00 #

I honestly can not get past the hair.

36. Dhppy May 28, 2012 at 00:36 #

It’s certainly very dramatic, but I can’t take hoop skirts seriously; they’re too impractical. I hope she brought something to change into so that she could sit down.

37. Jake May 28, 2012 at 01:06 #

Been patiently waiting for someone to rock this dress since couture week, and I couldn’t have picked it better myself! BDOTY, don’t think anyone will top this. Diana is amazing, as is this gown.

38. Reagan May 28, 2012 at 02:11 #

I love Diane but I can’t wrap my brain around this one. She’s always beautiful.

• AnnaLee May 28, 2012 at 17:12 #

True… I really do not understand this dress! a little bit to dramaticc and I don’t like the part above the waist… But she is so beautiful, she could wear a bag and still look stunning.

39. Mana May 28, 2012 at 03:52 #

She never fails, I’m not a fan of her dress but she still looks flawless.

40. Sonya May 28, 2012 at 04:59 #

Her face is straddling “shiny” and “oily” and DAT ELASTIC. Why on earth? Was there honestly not an embellished clip? A barette? A diamante pin?

41. Beta May 28, 2012 at 07:43 #

mmm, dont know :| the dress is eating her

42. Alina May 28, 2012 at 11:51 #

WOW! I’m in heaven!

43. gabis May 28, 2012 at 13:38 #

The only thing that prevents me from hating this look completely is the bouffant skirt. I’m a huge fan of ball gowns. Other than that is all no. The checkered fabric is just weird and looks dangerously close to a table cloth. Her hair looks very much like a last minute thing and it’s too casual for such a gown. I have nothing against ponytails on red carpets, but it just cannot be the same simple ponytail you wear to your gym class.

• AnnaLee May 28, 2012 at 17:13 #

44. Lee May 28, 2012 at 23:46 #

It’s crazy how perfect this woman is!

45. Jess2 May 29, 2012 at 12:57 #

My goodness she is so beautiful. I love this look because it is so unexpected. This is fresh, fun and the structured skirt really makes this excellent for the red carpet. She loks amazing and this is a brilliant way to end Cannes for 2012.