Aishwarya Rai In Elie Saab Couture – ‘Cosmopolis’ Cannes Film Festival Premiere

Aishwarya Rai made her first appearance on the red carpet at the 2012 Cannes Film Festival this evening.

The Indian actress joined Kristen Stewart for the ‘Cosmopolis’ premiere.

Having just recently had a baby, Rai was radiant wearing an Elie Saab Fall 2011 Couture gown.

Her midnight blue embroidered long-sleeve gown was accented with a velvet floral appliqué at the waist.

A blue box clutch, tumbling waves and a glossy nude lip colour completed her look.

It’s good to see her back on the red carpet.

Jennifer Lopez In Fay - Dorchester Hotel

Jennifer Lopez In Fay – Dorchester Hotel

Liya Kebebe In Proenza Schouler - 'Cosmopolis' Cannes Film Festival Premiere

Liya Kebebe In Proenza Schouler – ‘Cosmopolis’ Cannes Film Festival Premiere

71 Responses to Aishwarya Rai In Elie Saab Couture – ‘Cosmopolis’ Cannes Film Festival Premiere

1. Fashion Critic May 25, 2012 at 18:54 #

IF YOUR COMMENT IS NOT FASHION RELATED IT WILL NOT BE POSTED

• Ela May 25, 2012 at 19:07 #

Much respect to you FC, for this! And she does look stunning. That blue is amazing on her.

• LG May 25, 2012 at 19:31 #

Ditto Ela! FC you have always kept your blog classy and once again you showed how this blog is a class above so many others by posting this statement!

• Fashion Critic May 25, 2012 at 19:38 #

thanks…I read an article on the Daily Mail the other day and they were saying that people were calling her all kinds of name on forums. I was horrified. Since when does a woman have to be a size 2 just after giving birth?

I’m glad she isn’t in a hurry. Enjoy motherhood and forgot about the treadmill.

• Ritika May 25, 2012 at 19:47 #

It’s pretty terrible out here in the Indian media as well. Stylists and designers have been giving her tips on air and in newspapers on what to wear and what not (a gown was a no go as per some). So this kick ass run she is having at Cannes, is so significant and meaningful. Many people are eating their words right now.

• Fashion Critic May 25, 2012 at 19:56 #

“Many people are eating their words right now.” – glad to hear it

• A. May 25, 2012 at 20:29 #

A slap on their faces, coz Aishwarya’s not only wearing a gown, she’s wearing it AND making it work. Im aware of what you are talking about. Indian media can be really cruel.

• Elle May 25, 2012 at 19:55 #

Well said, FC!

She’s absolutely glowing, and that dress looks super-elegant on her.

• Vidhya May 25, 2012 at 19:56 #

Great to see this FC.. I would also like to add that I’m very happy to see her is Elie Saab. She has been in hiding. There is no shame in gaining weight due to pregnancy! Own it and glow! Oh and she was there yday wearing an Abu Sandeep sari!

• LG May 25, 2012 at 20:32 #

Vidya, She has not been in hiding. Her appearances have been few (expected since she is not filming or shooting for covers, etc.) but we have been seeing her regular appearances in social gatherings or for her professional commitments such as Longines event in UAE. So she is owning it up, glowing and going about her business as usual.

FC- I just wanted to clarify because it sent a signal as she has been in hiding!

• Iris May 25, 2012 at 19:29 #

respect, FC!

• Sabreena May 25, 2012 at 20:17 #

RESPECT…FC!

Its HORRIFYING to see how the people of her own country are attacking her for her weight…she doesnt seem to have a problem with it…then why the hell are people attacking her for it?! RIDICULOUS!

2. Alina May 25, 2012 at 18:56 #

She looks stunning, womanly and simply STUNNING!

3. AW May 25, 2012 at 18:58 #

She looks very pretty, the dress hugs in all the right places.

I do wish her hair was up…

• jill May 26, 2012 at 11:31 #

oh ya,me too.but she’s still beautiful.

4. ShopGirl May 25, 2012 at 18:58 #

i LOVE it , i find the color fit her alot and she look classy and elegent . this look is a HIT for me :) glad to see her back to the red carpet :)

5. sarah May 25, 2012 at 19:01 #

i love the floral applique at the waist.
    and its NOT her first appearance. She was present at the AMFAR gala

6. LG May 25, 2012 at 19:02 #

Wow! She looks stunning! love the dress and how it gives her really nice silhouette!
    By the way Aishwarya also attended AmFar Gala yesterday wearing a traditional Indian Sari.

Thanks for all your updates!:)

• Z May 28, 2012 at 14:11 #

The sari was even more beautiful than this look! :)

7. currygirl May 25, 2012 at 19:03 #

Oh, I was waiting for Aish to show up! That gown is gorgeous! I love the sleeves on it. FC, you sure are getting your Elie Saab fix, huh?

• Fashion Critic May 25, 2012 at 19:04 #

no quite..need a few more :D

• EmmaWoodhouse May 25, 2012 at 19:18 #

I need a few more Elie Saab’s too! :)

• SilentVisitor May 25, 2012 at 19:08 #

I agree………..she is perfect………..

8. Yeliz May 25, 2012 at 19:03 #

She looks gorgeous.

9. Emmeline May 25, 2012 at 19:04 #

Wow. She looks gorgeous. I had no idea she’d just had a baby, kudos to her. It’s nice that we’re finally getting to see some more Elie Saab this year.

10. Laura May 25, 2012 at 19:05 #

she looks stunning! i absolutely love the gown and after all the unfair criticism because of her post-pregnancy body it’s so nice to see her on the redcarpet again. she is still one of the most beautiful women.

11. Sabreena May 25, 2012 at 19:08 #

she looks gorgeousss! she is glowing like anything in that beautiful gown!

12. SS May 25, 2012 at 19:08 #

Hair’s too flat and make-up could’ve been much better. The dress is beautiful though.

13. fromchi-town May 25, 2012 at 19:10 #

I like this – I really do. I love the color on her and it is perfect for her curves.

14. Badaboum May 25, 2012 at 19:10 #

She looks amazing, I am so glad she went with Elie Saab, this is the perfect choice for her! I don’t remember seeing her with this haircut before, I really love it and the make up is perfect as usual.
    I cannot believe people talked so much about her weight, I think she looks better than most other ladies who walked the red carpet.

15. moja31 May 25, 2012 at 19:14 #

wish she’d lost the sleeves, but she still looks great.

• Marybeth May 25, 2012 at 20:07 #

Agreed.
      I do like the sleeves, but they give me a bit of a wintry vibe. It’s still a spectacular look though.

16. delhi_fashionista May 25, 2012 at 19:15 #

STUNNING…love it !!! The gown is fabulous and as always aishwarya looks elegant…so proud of her…i hope it silences her critics…

17. Nat39 May 25, 2012 at 19:15 #

The gown fits her well but the magic of Elie Saab couture works better for me on more fragile/less womanly figure.

• Iris May 25, 2012 at 19:32 #

+ 1

• Lady Loki May 25, 2012 at 21:19 #

Hmmm. And here I thought ALL types of bodies…thin, big, medium are womanly bodies. My size 2 friend will be shocked when she hears she’s less of a woman than someone size (insert # here).

• Nat39 May 25, 2012 at 22:09 #

It’s interesting how words can be twisted around. “Womanly figure” usually applies to curvier/fuller-bodied women, it doesn’t mean that someone smaller size is “less of a woman”/ possesses less womanly characteristics.
          “…the magic of Elie Saab couture works better for me on more fragile/smaller size womanly bodies” Does that sound better…:)

18. A. May 25, 2012 at 19:17 #

How pretty. Now this is what i call glamor. She’s seems so confident, not a tad bit uncomfortable. love that. Love how she carries herself, so much poise. Big thumbs up to her for choosing Saab. The color, embellishments, styling, everything works well.

19. EmmaWoodhouse May 25, 2012 at 19:17 #

She looks great–amazing postbaby figure! And the dress is stunning…elegant, classy, and complementing her beauty in a breathtaking but tasteful way (take notes Natasha, lol). I love the rich blue color and the velvet accent. BDOTD!

20. Jones19 May 25, 2012 at 19:35 #

She’s such a breathtaking beauty and Elie Saab suits her style perfectly.

21. justme May 25, 2012 at 19:37 #

I cannot believe the backlash she’s been getting. She’s a new mother, her priorities are elsewhere (as they should) AND she looks gorgeous.
    Elie Saab makes some stunning pieces -daydreams-

22. Ritika May 25, 2012 at 19:40 #

Ash you have outdone yourself. The saree was simply amazing, and this gown is just as perfect. i am so happy right now.

23. priyanka May 25, 2012 at 19:46 #

i love this look! this is such a great way to silence all the critics. looking at past years, i think it is one her best cannes looks overall. i literally was saying to someone yesterday that she should be wearing elie saab at cannes. it’s such a great partnership.

24. dee May 25, 2012 at 19:47 #

She looks beautiful.

25. rosie May 25, 2012 at 19:50 #

She looks so beautiful. Love the gown.. wow want it. suit her perfect, beautiful aishwarya. showing her figure. love the hair and makeup..

26. Ade May 25, 2012 at 20:00 #

Her figure is EVERYTHING right now, absolutely beautiful

27. Amelie May 25, 2012 at 20:49 #

She looks fabulously fabulous! <3
    Breathtaking, sublime, ethereal!

28. Fanny May 25, 2012 at 21:15 #

I know it’s not REALLY fashion- related but are her eyes blue here? And have they always been? Well they match her dress very well anyway :) She looks gorg.

• delhi_fashionista May 26, 2012 at 18:12 #

YES …. her eyes have ALWAYS been blue…since birth… :-)

29. Grace Patricia May 25, 2012 at 21:53 #

She’s amazing! Glowing as a woman who just had a baby.

30. vaz May 25, 2012 at 22:04 #

oh this really nice.. oh I was really hoping that she doesn’t choose Tadashi Shoji.. pheww

31. Christine May 25, 2012 at 22:44 #

She looks stunning!!

32. Gustavo Velasco May 25, 2012 at 22:55 #

i loove it!!!

33. reemito May 26, 2012 at 00:04 #

Giving the fact the she was ex miss world and an international star I give her the credit for showing her after birth figure in Cannes. such a classy lady in a classy gown, the color looks great on her and I love the hair and make up too. Welcome back Ash!

34. ash May 26, 2012 at 00:34 #

her confidence shines like her beauty..and she’s stunning in Elie Saab..love the colors especially..

35. admmgz May 26, 2012 at 02:05 #

I know it’s already been said many times but she looks absolutely stunning!

36. Sonia May 26, 2012 at 02:26 #

She looks great! I don’t know why but I never like her hair on the red carpet. I think she should have had her hair up.

37. rahul May 26, 2012 at 04:05 #

She looks stunning….

38. Raquel May 26, 2012 at 04:34 #

Stunning!!! Go Aishwarya, go!

39. glenn May 26, 2012 at 06:58 #

she look super fat!

40. jazz May 26, 2012 at 07:44 #

Gorgeous!!! She is definitely glowing and I’m so thrilled fc warned about comments on her weight,BC I’m sick of heading horrible people all over blos bashing one of the works most stunning women for being real about her baby weight and not starving herself immediately giving birth

41. Andrea May 26, 2012 at 13:49 #

If I for some unthinkable and very surprising reason found myself walking a red carpet I would like to wear just this dress. As a mortal person not being a supermodel or likwise I think I would feel great in this model and non-statement colour. But I would prefer it with the nude colour underneath as it is presented on the runway.

Anyhow, Aishwarya Rai looks very regal and immortaly awsome here.

42. Bec May 26, 2012 at 14:17 #

She looks fabulous to me!

I love your attitude and your priorities FC. So refreshing and that’s why we all keep coming back.

• Fashion Critic May 26, 2012 at 14:24 #

43. bindu May 26, 2012 at 15:54 #

stunning. so glad she worked the gown so well !

44. kat May 26, 2012 at 20:35 #

Really admire your attitude towards this issue, FC, I’m so glad, that on your blog the focus is kept on the fashion. Thank you for that.

I think she looks good, but the dark lining take away the ethereal nature of this dress. It looks so much better on the model, with the nude lining.

45. Lalitha May 30, 2012 at 11:14 #

She looks FAB! I love love love her in this!!!! Amazing dress!!

46. Kaif July 2, 2012 at 13:47 #

Do Megan Fox and Aishwarya Rai have naturally blue eyes?

47. Flavia Style Source May 24, 2013 at 07:09 #

This dress compliments her figure variation better. Also the color is acceptable (she looks better in bright and vivid colors) and shows her beautiful eyes.
    Yet, I could have some remarks to a better look:
    - the dress is without a collar and finished round that replicates her weight, rounded face and shorter neck. This is wrong. It could have been modified just for her in a V-neck, to compliment the actress better.
    - the sleeves could seem very glamour without linen, but not on a woman who’s got weight on her arms?!! They look too fitted on her. So, it could have been modified the sleeve itself, to camouflage the upper side of her arms.

48. The Cherry Tree May 24, 2013 at 20:56 #

I know she’s given birth & therefore gained weight, so it’s not fair to fault her for being rounder than she was before. But she should wear what works for her figure &, beautiful as this dress is, this isn’t it.