20.05.12 Best Dressed

Who Was Your Best Dressed On Day 4 & 5 Of Cannes Film Festival?

Credit: Getty

Diane Kruger In Vivienne Westwood - ‘Amour’ Cannes Film Festival Premiere

Diane Kruger In Vivienne Westwood – ‘Amour’ Cannes Film Festival Premiere

Michelle Williams' Giambattista Valli Patchwork Dress

Michelle Williams’ Giambattista Valli Patchwork Dress

42 Responses to Who Was Your Best Dressed On Day 4 & 5 Of Cannes Film Festival?

1. Ioana May 20, 2012 at 20:18 #

weak list. and not because of you, Fashion Critic, but because of the lack of…imagination maybe :)

I choose Cheryl Cole in Stéphane Rolland Couture. she was a breath of fresh air.. I really dislike Diane’s dress. too much ‘glowing’ for my tastes.

2. Christine May 20, 2012 at 20:24 #

Underwhelming BDOTD list for sure. But Cheryl Cole rocked it. Easy! :D Hope we see more of Cheryl in Cannes in the upcoming days.

3. Nat39 May 20, 2012 at 20:32 #

Diane (never even read the individual posts yet). I’m a sucker for gorgeous silhouettes, the bodice and the draping create such an enviable silhouette on Diane, she is like a golden statuette, absolutely beautiful.

4. Ramsay May 20, 2012 at 20:35 #

And again I am voting Diane Kruger – Cheryl looks amazing but I feel an overdose of feathered trains – my third time this week I vote Diane – I think her choices are intuitive and they’re always right – Well done

• Charlotta May 21, 2012 at 20:17 #

I agree…and especially since she is just a week or two behind Diane already doing the feathered train thing for the MET gala, only in purple.

5. holly May 20, 2012 at 20:36 #

Diane all the way. A vision of glamour and class. This is how to rock a Vivienne Westwood gown and make everyone else look like they’re trying too hard.

• J.™ May 20, 2012 at 21:52 #

6. Paddy M May 20, 2012 at 20:37 #

Three reasons why I chose Cheryl:

– I loved the look
    – Diane’s look reminded me of Stacy Keibler at the Oscars; I loved both Stacy and Diane in their respective dresses, though
    – If Cannes becomes a Diane Kruger whitewash, it’ll be so predictable and so boring!

7. Parvati May 20, 2012 at 20:40 #

I expected to see Jessica Chastain on the previous BDOTW poll, so, since she ended up on this one, I’m voting for her. She looked absolutely stunning!

8. Zineb May 20, 2012 at 20:52 #

Went for Cheryl Cole.

P.S: With all my respect, can you guys stop voting for Diane whenever she’s in a poll? It’s getting predictable and when fashion is predictable it’s not fun anymore … Her Viviene Westwood gown is such a HUGE déjà vu, she should’ve gone for a more dramatic look. It’s Cannes Diane!

Again, this is my personal opinion.

• EmmaWoodhouse May 20, 2012 at 21:01 #

I don’t believe in voting for someone just because they’re there and they have a fan following. I voted for Diane because I really, really loved her look–thought it was flawless from head to toe. I think that the followers of this blog are, in general, very faithful to fashion rather than to a particular celebrity. Btw this is just my personal opinion as well. I think it’s great to discuss different viewpoints!

• Nat39 May 20, 2012 at 21:14 #

NOT on “Diane can do no wrong in my eyes” train personally. Voting for her look because it’s striking, flawless and appeals to me the most. Can’t vote for Cheryl, for example, b/c despite the drama of her gown, her hairstyle and a bit overly loose fit of the bodice keep her look from being flawless (imo). Marta’s look is a bit bridal, not liking Erin’s shoe choice, no words for Asia and so on…Sometimes Diane’s look actually happens to be the best.

• marie May 20, 2012 at 22:24 #

i don’t think that FC readers vote for a particular look just because of the wearer.. I honestly think FC has more discerning readers than that

• Fashion Critic May 20, 2012 at 23:00 #

I think so too…that being said Cheryl was my favourite

• Zineb May 21, 2012 at 00:28 #

+ 1

• Jones19 May 20, 2012 at 22:50 #

I didn’t vote for Diane in the last two polls even though she’s my girl crush but I’m voting for her in this one. She deserves this win.

• Annel May 20, 2012 at 23:12 #

I think that tonight she actually lived up to the expectations – although the very visible sequins hurt my eye a bit. That said I agree that you could argue that there seems to be a bandwagon here, but well, she’s popular, and so be it!

• Charlotta May 21, 2012 at 16:21 #

I voted for Diane because her dress is absolutely breathtaking in it’s structure, dreamy fit, elegant drape, sublime rose gold shimmer, etc etc.

Sorry but to me Cheryl Cole’s dress reminds me of a circus rodeo clown. I find it borderline trashy and quite cheap.

9. EmmaWoodhouse May 20, 2012 at 20:58 #

Diane and Jessica. Glitter glamour girls!!! (In the other shot, Jessica’s dress gaped at the bust, however, it looks so stunning from the front that it’s one of my favorite dresses from Cannes so far! And Diane…PERFECTION!)

10. Mol May 20, 2012 at 21:08 #

I was sure I’d chose Diane, but I am seduced by Jessica in the end. Diane is perfection, no doubt, but Jessica is a vision of loveliness and I’m a romantic at heart!

11. Amy May 20, 2012 at 22:02 #

I voted for Jessica because she really lookq lovely. Other than that Diane is the runner up

12. Yeliz May 20, 2012 at 22:08 #

Diane. Diane. Diane.

My runner up is Cheryl Cole.

13. Riley May 20, 2012 at 22:19 #

I want to vote for Krugelz, I do, but Vivienne Westwood is a meh, repetitive brand. Krugelz’ gown is the best Westwood I have ever seen besides Emily Blunt’s The Young Victoria World Premiere gown.

I voted for Jessica Chastain because she looks like the A-List Hollywood star she is.

My number two is Cheryl Cole because like it or not, she is a pretty damn good Stephane Rolland Couture brand ambassador. Her best ever looks have been in his threads.

14. marie May 20, 2012 at 22:22 #

if the carpet would have been any other color, i’d have surely voted for Cheryl..the drama of the train got lost because it almost matched the color of the carpet..in the end, i went for Jessica who did a very gorgeous turnaround here at Cannes..i’ve loved every single one of her outfit here and this is my favorite so far..Diane just reminded me way too much of Stacy’s Oscar dress..when i first saw the gown, i was thinking “why would she wear something that someone already wore at the Oscars?” plus no Pacey, which is always a minus..lol

15. Zee May 20, 2012 at 22:33 #

Oh, this was quite an easy call for me. Cheryl Cole in Stephane Rolland Couture, by far. First of all the dress is awesome, then Cole’s styling is beautiful… About Diane, she’s very beautiful, as always, and that dress is the most beautiful Vivienne Westwood I’ve ever seen. However, it’s a very typical, signature Westwood dress which used sequin material this time, that’s all.

16. asherlev1 May 20, 2012 at 23:22 #

You know, I must be the ONLY person who visits this site that isn’t head over heels for Diane Kruger in general. I don’t know if she broke my brain with her fashion choices so that I just don’t recognize greatness when I see it, but I’m never wowed by her. She’s gorgeous and she makes great fashion choices, but I mostly never feel that urge inside me that would make me vote for her.

• Sharon May 21, 2012 at 00:11 #

No, you’re not the only one. There are two of us. I honestly do look at Diane’s clothes and on occasion have even voted for her. It just seems that others catch my eye more than she does most of the time. She’s beautiful here as is her gown, but there are at least 3 who look equally or more beautiful, and I voted for one of them.

• mandy May 21, 2012 at 00:51 #

Please make that the 3 of us. That Valli dress is very predictable and ‘magicless’. And that Jason Wu dress is just meh.. But she is stunning in VW. However, i have to go with Stéphane Rolland on both voting occasion.

• frommdq May 21, 2012 at 11:55 #

Ok, there are at least four of us. Please FC voters, look around!

17. mandy May 21, 2012 at 00:50 #

The obvious choice would definetely be Diane in VW. But when i saw another Roland gown, I DIE !! Sorry. I have to go with my Couture king, Mr Stéphane Rolland.

18. What Is The New Black May 21, 2012 at 01:41 #

Definitely Diane – flawless as always!

19. Sindhu Gururaj May 21, 2012 at 03:59 #

FC,
    Why is Milla Jovovich left out of this? She looked stunning and you did mention her to be a part of BDOTW poll….

• Fashion Critic May 21, 2012 at 06:21 #

Simple. She’s was not at Cannes. This is a Cannes poll.

• Jones19 May 21, 2012 at 12:19 #

Plus if you look at the comments people didn’t like it.

• Fashion Critic May 21, 2012 at 12:30 #

And that would’ve factored too if she was at Cannes

20. bm May 21, 2012 at 06:55 #

I’m dying over that Stephane Rolland Couture gowns from Paz till Cheryl now. It’s so obvious for me that the winner is Cheryl. No doubt.

21. Alina May 21, 2012 at 12:04 #

Jessica Chastain and Diane Kruger.

22. SilentVisitor May 21, 2012 at 13:52 #

Cheryl Cole in Stéphane Rolland Couture is wowwwwwwwww. runner-up Diane Kruger and Jessica Chastain

23. Michael May 22, 2012 at 10:10 #

Cheryl all the way. with diane she does always look stunning and for cheryl to do something different with herself and blow so many people away wearing a gown (cover of newspapers because of this dress) goes to show she was a winner in my (and many others) eyes :)

• Fashion Critic May 22, 2012 at 10:44 #

I think Cheryl being on the cover of all the papers has more to do with the British press obsession with her. They don’t recognise this gown for how amazing it is.

Had Diane Kruger worn this gown, it would not be front page here.