16.05.12

2012 Cannes Film Festival Opening Ceremony Round Up

The 2012 Cannes Film Festival opening ceremony, held inside the Palais des Festivals on Wednesday evening brought out even more stars.

Virginie Ledoyen: The French actress looked absolutely stunning in a strapless teal goddess-like Elie Saab gown. With neatly pulled back hair, Chopard jewelry and a winning smile, I’m getting Natalie Portman vibes – the utmost compliment, of course.

Eva Herzigova: The model has me completely envious, wearing a gorgeous custom Dolce & Gabbana gown. Covered in crystals, the pale pink ¾ length sleeve gown fits Eva impeccably, although a do find her large diamond Chopard necklace to be unnecessary. That dress can certainly stand on it’s on.

Dolores Chaplin: The actress, and granddaughter of Charlie Chaplin, wore a bright chartreuse Lanvin gown, in a silhouette similar to that of Emma Stone’s dress at the 2012 Golden Globes. Whilst I love the bright colour of the dress, I wish she had added a bright belt or shoes.

Kara Hayward: The young ‘Moonrise Kingdom’ star makes her Cannes debut wearing a tiered lemon Louis Vuitton dress. The light colour and sweet shape is perfect for such a young actress. A headband accented up-do completes the look.

Who were your favourites from day 1 of Cannes Film Festival?

Credit: Getty

Alice Eve In Antonio Berardi - 'Men In Black 3' London Premiere

Alice Eve In Antonio Berardi – ‘Men In Black 3′ London Premiere

Eva Longoria In Alberta Ferretti - 2012 Cannes Film Festival Opening Night Dinner

Eva Longoria In Alberta Ferretti – 2012 Cannes Film Festival Opening Night Dinner

18 Responses to 2012 Cannes Film Festival Opening Ceremony Round Up

1. Christine May 16, 2012 at 23:05 #

Favorites from Day 1? Hard to pick but definitely Diane and Eva

2. Yeliz May 16, 2012 at 23:12 #

Natalie Portman vibes was my exact thought when I saw Virginie Ledoyen. She looks so effortlessly beautiful and is my favorite here.

Diane Kruger and Freida Pinto are my favorites from day 1.

3. Riley May 16, 2012 at 23:16 #

All of them are meh; Eva wouldn’t be meh if she ditched the necklace and matched her clutch to the silver sparkles in her gown.

Riley’s Favorites:
    Diane Kruger in Giambattista Valli
    Freida Pinto in Michael Angel
    Bérénice Béjo in Louis Vuitton
    Jane Fonda in Atelier Versace

Eva Longoria in Marchesa and Tilda Swinton in Haider Ackerman didn’t make the cut because the Marchesa gown is similar to many Marchesa gowns we’ve seen in 2011 (Fergie’s, Halle Berry and Penelope Cruz’s) and Tilda wears Haider Ackerman all the time and her look isn’t jaw dropping. It’s great, but not OMFG.

4. AJ May 16, 2012 at 23:20 #

What a start to the festival! Freida Pinto is my favorite from day 1! Other than her blue oscars gown, this is the best she’s looked!

5. Jones19 May 16, 2012 at 23:20 #

Freida Pinto is my favorite from day 1. Underwhelming day.

6. Rashmi May 16, 2012 at 23:44 #

Diane and Freida for me!

• Rashmi May 17, 2012 at 00:03 #

FC, who was your fav?

• Fashion Critic May 17, 2012 at 00:12 #

Hard to pick one.

Diane, Freida, Jane…

7. Zineb May 16, 2012 at 23:48 #

Eva, Berenice, Diane and Jane killed it today !

8. Sanette May 16, 2012 at 23:59 #

Diane Kruger is my favourite. I can’t wait to see what she wears next!

9. Ramsay May 17, 2012 at 00:02 #

Natalie Portman vibes is indeed a very high praise – too much sparkle from Eva I think – the Lanvin dress is lovely
    My favorite from day 1 is certainly Diane
    Jane Fonda’s body rocks

10. EmmaWoodhouse May 17, 2012 at 03:07 #

Virginie: Quietly elegant. I would have preferred the jade color to be a touch more vibrant.
    Eva: OMG, now I have a four-way tie for BDOTD!!!!! Diane, Eva, Fan, and Berenice…I love Eva’s look SOOO much, although I think the clutch (though beautiful on its own) clashes too much.
    Dolores: stand-out color, but I don’t like the dress.
    Kara: looks like a wedding cake. Sorry.

11. Emi May 17, 2012 at 06:22 #

Virginie looks stunning, so chic. Eva looks amazing, too, her dress is gorgeous, but I prefer the simplicity of Virginie. Kara Hayward… what can I say? Just another unflattering dress by LV, which is hard to pull off, plus the fit is bad and her pose… well, I guess she’s not used to such red carpets so I can understand.

12. manja May 17, 2012 at 10:04 #

my fav are Diane, Freida ,and from these 4 Virginia,and it wld be Eva too but don’t like her accesories with that great dress

13. Jess2 May 17, 2012 at 12:20 #

I do not like Kara’s dress one bit I’m afraid, it looks ridiculous. The other ladies look lovely though and am also getting the Natalie Portman vibes from Virginie.

My Top 3 from day one:
    Diane Kruger
    Jane Fonda
    Fan Bing Bing

14. Alina May 17, 2012 at 16:20 #

My favourite from here is Virginie Ledoyen.

15. Sharon May 18, 2012 at 01:06 #

I have to go with the lady from my generation who puts me to shame. Jane Fonda looks fabulous.

When I look at Delores Chaplin, however, all I can think of is Carol Burnett’s Scarlett O’Hara velvet dress with the drapery rod across the shoulders.

16. Shaina May 18, 2012 at 22:53 #

I actually really love the necklace on Eva here. Without it, it would take away from the look.