09.05.12

Models @ The Met Gala 2012

Gisele Bundchen: The uber model has had many great Met Gala moments. This Givenchy gown is amazing, but she still hasn’t managed to surpass her 2008 Met Gala Versace moment.

Anja Rubik: The model’s protruding hip bone, which is visible thanks to her white Anthony Vaccarello slashed gown with a waist high split, is making me vom. I don’t get the fascination with this woman.

Jessica Stam: The raven haired model looked stunning wearing a Dior Couture gown. I’m not a fan of the hair, but the gown is a work of art.

Linda Evangelista: Despite being in court earlier on Monday, the supermodel still partied in Prada wearing a black duchesse cap sleeve scoop neckline gown with peplum waist. Miu Miu black peep-toes and a gold Miu Miu clutch completed the look.

Angela Lindvall: The model also wore Prada opting for an ensemble embellished with onyx, stone, resin and plexi embroidery. Prada shoes and clutch completed the look.

Caroline Trentini: The blonde model was my personal favourite from the model bunch. This custom Theyskens’ Theory gown is so delicate feminine and pretty. On the live feed she explained that the gown was denim.

Jourdan Dunn and Cara Delevinge: The models walked the red carpet wearing a lace and black velvet Burberry dresses. Jourdan accessorized with a black clutch and black satin bow, whereas Cara wore the coveted Burberry Fall 2012 studded leather gloves.

Poppy Delevingne: The British model opted for a head-to-toe Chanel look.

Joan Smalls: The model attended with Balmain designer Olivier Rousteing wearing a textured dress, belt and boots from the Fall 2012 collection.

Karlie Kloss: My favourite model attended the ball with her BFF Jason Wu. Her custom Jason Wu black/nude embroidered Chantilly lace dress with fuchsia chiffon drape was styled with a side parted bun, a Jason Wu ‘Karlie’ box clutch and Jason Wu velvet pump with gold piping. Emerald Van Cleef jewels completed her look.

Candice Swanepoel: The model was radiant in an electric blue Rag & Bone gown.

Natalia Vodianova: The model wore a halter open back Louis Vuitton gown made of mini broderie anglaise covered with a layer of black silk voile. This is the first time I have ever disliked a look from Natalia. Horrid gown.

Isabeli Fontana: The sparkled on the red carpet wearing Emilio Pucci hot pink and black embroidered gown

Dree Hemingway: The model wore a gold shimmering sequin Topshop Unique Fall 2012 dress with black heels.

Liya Kebede: The model looks sensational wearing a Tory Burch dark jade sequined backless silk column gown with peplum detail which she teamed with black accessories

Doutzen Kroes: Attended the gala as Roland Mouret guest wearing his black-and-white ‘Honey’ gown with a front split which revealed her Robert Clergerie heels.

Credit: Getty

Marc Jacobs In Comme des Garçons - 2012 Met Gala

Marc Jacobs In Comme des Garçons – 2012 Met Gala

Who Was Your Best Dressed At The 2012 Met Gala?

Who Was Your Best Dressed At The 2012 Met Gala?

66 Responses to Models @ The Met Gala 2012

1. Teleholic May 9, 2012 at 01:38 #

Hey FC, just wanna thank you so much for your full coverage of this amazingly-dressed event. Reading through these and saturating my mind with great fashion has made my week. I hope you can take a breather after this, you’re working hard, girl!

• Fashion Critic May 9, 2012 at 01:41 #

2. Rachelle May 9, 2012 at 01:43 #

My favorite model of the night was Sigrid Agren’s Chanel look. She was amazing! It’s a shame she wasn’t included, but with so little pictures, I’m not surprised.

3. Annel May 9, 2012 at 01:45 #

Linda Evangelista knows how to pose. Fieeerce!

I get the feeling that Rubik wears this dress just to provoke..

• Fashion Critic May 9, 2012 at 02:23 #

“I get the feeling that Rubik wears this dress just to provoke” – I totally agree.

• Zineb May 9, 2012 at 09:12 #

I heard that Anja was simply paying homage to Angelina’s Oscar pose. That might forgive her but still, she looks very provocative

• Eimear May 9, 2012 at 09:37 #

Provoke the gag reflex! :P

• Gustavo Velasco May 9, 2012 at 19:37 #

Karlie Kloss use one dress from the same designer in a Paris FW partie, and nobody says nothing, hahaha, i think is even more provocative because she was 17 at that time

4. Gabriella May 9, 2012 at 01:54 #

Love the models especially Joan!!! Chanel Iman, not included was sensational!!!!!!!!

5. Malinda Jane May 9, 2012 at 01:56 #

I love Isabela’s Pucci gown. So dramatic and fun! The colour and print are really refreshing.

Like you I couldn’t get over Anja Rubik in that gown. Maybe it would be okay if it was on someone a bit more…fleshy.

6. Malinda Jane May 9, 2012 at 01:56 #

I love Isabeli’s Pucci gown. So dramatic and fun! The colour and print are really refreshing.

7. egon May 9, 2012 at 02:01 #

Thank you for all your hard work¡¡ i know there were a lot of models, but for me, Constace Jablonsky was asome in Haider Ackerman

8. Ade May 9, 2012 at 02:02 #

Someone please get Olivier Rousteing a new pair of boots. He was been wearing that one for years now

9. AW May 9, 2012 at 02:19 #

Jessica Stam is my fave in this group.

FC who is Bianca Brandolini D’Adda?

10. Anna May 9, 2012 at 02:20 #

I’m surprised at your comment about “not getting the fascination with Anja,” FC. I thought you liked her. I remember you talked about how stunning she was and gave her the “Did it Hurt When you fell from Heaven? award” at the 2009 CFDA (Yes,…I enjoyed your site so much I went all the way back in the archives). :-)

Personally, I am not familiar with models, and am not really sure about what makes a model a really good one. That being said, I do think that showing off your protruding bones isn’t the best statement to make. Unfortunately, if she was wearing this on the runway, practically no one would notice or care – its just normal there, even expected. No wonder things can get so warped. Sad.

Thanks for all your hard work FC! I was in the middle of exams, but just had to check out your coverage!

• Fashion Critic May 9, 2012 at 02:22 #

That was 3 years ago…she was a lot more healthy back then. Her current looks doesn’t work for me.

• Ju Aquino May 9, 2012 at 03:05 #

I agree, I think she wasnt that thin back then. I used to looooove her looks, such a beautiful model! But now she’s…. Well, not the same.

• Emi May 9, 2012 at 06:30 #

FC, I think you know I really really like your blog and admire your work, but writing that Anja makes you vomit is quite… not nice. I’m skinny, too, not tall as her, unfortunately, so is quite offensive, for me. I mean, why fat people are called “curvy” and skinny people are horrible? I read a lot of posts about the Williams sisters which, sorry, are not feminine, and most of the times look very tacky and dress not appropriated considering their body. That’s my opinion, anyway.

• Beta May 9, 2012 at 09:11 #

its not that she is skinny that is the problem, is that protuding bone. If you check out more pictures its everywere. I cosign FC on this one.

• msd May 9, 2012 at 11:21 #

You really think this is classy and appropriate? Poppy and Karlie are just as skinny but no one is saying they look gross because they’re dressed properly. They’re not jutting out their hip bones to prove to everyone they’re wearing no underwear. Urgh.

• P. May 9, 2012 at 06:01 #

LOL… “she was a lot more healthy back then”… this is good. if she did not have the same weight, had even less. Do not you remember that picture of her on the catwalk in Balmain’s show. W magazine put Rubik’s body on the cover and then added Demi Moore’s face to finish the job. Rubik’s body was already too skeletal and so unhealthy. And her looks were never good.

• Parvati May 9, 2012 at 20:33 #

LOL, I thought exactly the same thing when I saw the comment about Anja Rubik! But FC explained it, so OK! :)

11. Thomas Monks May 9, 2012 at 02:23 #

FC please put Jessica in the best dressed! She had to be my underdog favorite (if you could say a model is an underdog), also thanks for all your coverage I have loved reading all of your comments on everyones selection

12. TeaAtTwo May 9, 2012 at 02:27 #

Amazing coverage as always :)

• Fashion Critic May 9, 2012 at 09:13 #

Merci x

13. lily May 9, 2012 at 03:56 #

Overall I’m not impressed by the models. There was a definite lack of spark from this beautiful crowd. Least impressed by Anja and Joan Smalls. I’m not sure what possessed Anja to wear this nastiness. Joan’s booties are not Met worthy and I can’t decide if the dress is either. The booties could be killing the dress.

• CreoleLady May 9, 2012 at 12:58 #

ITA. I do appreciate Linda Evangelista’s fierce stance and Liya Kebede is my fave (fab dress and shoes) but that’s about it.

14. Paulo May 9, 2012 at 04:12 #

Anja was quoted a while back saying that she hates how there’s no respect for models as they will have photographers taking pics while they change backstage…then now she goes on to wear….THAT! I mean, seriously did she think that she will not be photographed at all at this event.
    Plus yes, I agree, she was a lot healthier back then. Now she’s just gaunt.

Stam on the other hand is healthy – though I do think that dark hair is way too harsh for her.

Love that Wu on Kloss.

And I’m disappointed with Natalia’s look too…considering how amazing she looked last year in Valentino. Surely she “had” to wear LVMH considering her new beau – but i’m sure there were other options.

15. pipsqueak May 9, 2012 at 04:16 #

My favorite model of the night was Joan Smalls. I just love Balmain. Anja’s dress looked unfinished. The allure of Anja is, to me, her legs. But her whole look was terrible and that pose was worse than Angelina’s leg at the Oscars. Who’s Anthony Vaccarello? If Anja wanted to show off those legs yet wear a lesser known designer, how about Hakaan?

16. Sarah-Leigh Gangadeen May 9, 2012 at 04:37 #

Caroline Trentini… the only woman who can wow me in a gown made of denim!

17. Jarrold May 9, 2012 at 05:16 #

Liu Wen was amazing too

18. Dhppy May 9, 2012 at 05:45 #

The Stam gets my vote, but on the livefeed she could not negotiate those stairs, which I find to be a big no no. I find Lindvall’s outfit to be both ugly and intriguing, and I love her blue shoes. I may not love Prada clothes, but I often adore the accessories.

19. Riley May 9, 2012 at 06:23 #

Kristen Stewart would have looked amazing in Candice Swanepoel’s blue Rag & Bone gown. I am still wondering why KStew’s stylist hasn’t put her in Rag & Bone.

None of the models wow me, but Jessica Stam really got into the spirit of the event.

I like Caroline Terenti’s gown less now that I know it is denim. Icky. But before I knew that her look was nice.

I say they are all too thin. Anja’s hipbone showing is just a reflection of the industry. I bet Anja is no thinner than Karlie Kloss.

• Rahrl May 9, 2012 at 09:59 #

Even with a better dress Stewart wouldn’t have looked better. With a better dress she still would have had a sulking exression and bad hairstyle. She hated being there and showed it.

I loved Karlie’s the most. Her dress had great color, looked diffrent compared to the typical gown and looked very glamerous. For me it was the best dress of the night.

20. Emi May 9, 2012 at 06:31 #

My favorite are Anja, Jessica and Doutzen.

21. Lola May 9, 2012 at 06:33 #

Blogger The Man Repeller described Rubik’s look as:

“F*** the Angelina, this is the Anya. Go big or go home.”

Couldn’t agree more.

I know models are beautiful by trade, but this night (of all nights) is about the fashion, not their bodies. Anya should put it away.

22. Mol May 9, 2012 at 06:56 #

I have so little free time these days and it is always great to know I can check in here and know that I’ll get the best coverage on any important (to me!) event, so thanks, as always, FC for your first rate coverage of all things fashion! My favorite models were Jessica Stam, Caroline Trentini, Karlie Kloss, and Liya Kebede.

23. Marie May 9, 2012 at 07:46 #

what about Constance Jablonski and Anne V??
    They were sensational!

24. Amy May 9, 2012 at 08:16 #

I’m going to disagree with you FC, I actually like Natalia dress. About Anja: what the hell? I don’t think hipbones are a “thing” in fashion.I’m wondering as she seems not to be wearing underwear how does she keep the dress from showing her ladies parts?
    This the best Swanepoel has ever looked!

25. pascha May 9, 2012 at 08:42 #

FC do you know if the Dior dress Jessica Stam wore was from a previous Galliano collection? I find it a little unlikely that Raf Simon’s had anything to do with that dress (which is stunning btw).

It’ll be interesting to see Raf’s upcoming couture collection for Dior… now I’m wondering who Raf will bring (and what they’ll wear) to next year’s Met Gala!

26. Yeliz May 9, 2012 at 09:56 #

It’s always great to see Karlie off the runway. She is one of my favorites here alongside Candice Swanepoel and Isabeli Fontana.

I have no words for Anja Rubik.

27. cora May 9, 2012 at 09:58 #

so is it ok when other models are way skinnier than anja but hide it under those dresses? they are expected to look like that, anja is no exception. look at karlie klass, it is all skin and bones.

28. noo May 9, 2012 at 10:10 #

i love jessica stam’s dress most :D FC, do you know if it’s from a past collection by galliano, a recent one by bill gaytten or a new creation by raf simmons?

• Leeann May 9, 2012 at 13:53 #

It is definitely not from Raf as it is too soon. If I have to venture a guess I would say Galiano as it is more his style than bill gatyen who I think was given less credit than he deserved for his work.

• Marie May 9, 2012 at 14:53 #

I believe it’s couture 2005, so Galliano.

• noo May 9, 2012 at 16:19 #

thank you :D i guess why i’m asking is because i am so curious to know what direction raf will go with couture :D as for bill gaytten, i loved his last couture collection but it lacked galliano’s eccentricity so i think they made a good choice hiring someone new. but i love the work bill is doing at john galliano!

29. Fiona May 9, 2012 at 10:36 #

Anja Rubik took taste to a new low with this dress. It was nowhere near sexy and some of the shots of her moving around were beyond appropriate. I am all for sexy slits and bearing some flesh if you have an amazing body, but really this was awful.

30. Fiona May 9, 2012 at 10:46 #

Forgot to pass on a comment I read elsewhere re Anja’s nudity – seeing as she represents Victoria’s Secret it was ironic she couldn’t find any underwhere!
    In response to questions about whether it is worse to cover up a skinny body, my issue with Anja is not her very thin body, but the fact that the dress itself is tasteless, I am not judging her but the designer who created the dress and put her in it, and then stood next to her on the red carpet – I guess he is proud of this look.

31. Alina May 9, 2012 at 11:56 #

Gisele Bundchen, Jessica Stam and Doutzen Kroes are my favourites from this post.

32. Eimear May 9, 2012 at 12:06 #

Wow there is ALOT of hot messes here! Caroline Trentini looks awful IMO… denim on the red carpet… wtf.

33. harris May 9, 2012 at 14:49 #

Karlie Kloss = perfection

34. Francois B May 9, 2012 at 16:10 #

Doutzen is drop dead gorgeous

35. Ritika May 9, 2012 at 16:47 #

and some more pics to dig into, oh this night! I like a lot of these looks, especially Giselle, Jessica, Cara and Poppy. and I want those studded gloves. Takes Cara’s look to a whole new level.

36. EmmaWoodhouse May 9, 2012 at 16:52 #

The Chanel gown Poppy is wearing is the same as worn by Clemence Poesy at the amFAR gala, I think…
    Here Jessica Stam, Liya, Jourdan, and Caroline stand out for me. Didn’t love any of the others and Anja looks disgusting.

37. Jess May 9, 2012 at 16:54 #

denim gown? uhh ok.
    Isabelli’s dress is horrific….disappointed that it is Pucci. Cara looks great, though the velvet it rather heavy and wintery for May. Karlie is probably the best of the bunch, feminine and dramatic without being OTT

38. goldfish May 9, 2012 at 18:51 #

karlie kloss looks amazing- as always!

39. Parvati May 9, 2012 at 20:46 #

Gisele Bundchen: She looks great, but nothing to get really excited about.

Anja Rubik: Too revealing. Awful choice.

Jessica Stam: I adore this gown. I only wish she would have sported blonde hair, because I’m not a fan of such dark hair on her.

Linda Evangelista: Chic, but completely forgettable.

Angela Lindvall: Really nice and interesting look.

Caroline Trentini: Great look, too. You can’t really tell that this is denim!

Jourdan Dunn and Cara Delevinge: They both look really good.

Poppy Delevigne: She looks good, but the outfit is rather forgettable.

Joan Smalls: She looks great.

Karlie Kloss: I don’t really like this look. I don’t like the fuchsia-black lace combo.

Candice Swanepoel: Pretty dress, great colour!

Natalia Vodianova: I’m on the fence. Not horrible, but not great, either.

Isabeli Fontana: Interesting dress, but I’m not that excited about it.

Dree Hemingway: Completely boring.

Liya Kebede: Nice colour and accessories.

Doutzen Kroes: Really nice dress.

40. Raquel May 9, 2012 at 23:42 #

Anja looks cheap.

I love Stam and Trentini. SO pretty.

Everybody else, big MEH.

41. Jess2 May 10, 2012 at 06:31 #

Anja’s look really is sickening, I just don’t get it. Love Karlie and Jessica. Joan looks great but I thought she would have gone for a look that packed a bit more punch.

• Jess2 May 10, 2012 at 13:22 #

I really liked Arizona Muse on Erdem aswell

42. Lily May 11, 2012 at 03:01 #

Liya Kebede seems to be the only one who knew how to dress that evening. Even then, I still wish she chose something more dramatic.

43. Shaina May 12, 2012 at 00:46 #

I’m definitely not one who likes to question people’s weight since I’m very thin myself but the hip is not so much an issue for me but the dress is just so tacky! I’m surprised she didn’t have a wardrobe malfunction. How could someone walk in a dress like this without flashing their lady parts?
    How on Earth did she even get out of the limo?!