Rihanna In Tom Ford – 2012 Met Gala

I was surprised at how Rihanna’s look was so subdued on the red carpet at the 2012 Met Gala, held in New York on Monday evening. I was expecting an over-the-top look with a ridiculous hairstyle.
But I was wrong.

The singer donned a sleek Tom Ford Fall 2012 backless crocodile dress which fit her like a glove.

Her long sleeve dress was teamed with some dangerous dark coloured talons and a dark nude lip colour.

I wish she opted for the trend of the night by opting for a dark lip shade.

Christian Louboutin heels completed her look.

Credit: Style.com & Getty

Who Was Your Best Dressed At The 2014 Met Gala?

Who Was Your Best Dressed At The 2014 Met Gala?

Shailene Woodley In Christopher Kane - 2012 Met Gala

Shailene Woodley In Christopher Kane – 2012 Met Gala

40 Responses to Rihanna In Tom Ford – 2012 Met Gala

1. Prudence May 8, 2012 at 06:37 #

Im falling asleep. I mean what is it. so utterly lame. you cannot be such an eccentric day to day dresser and then show up at a major fashion event wearing a black dress with an open back. she should stop being invited for dressing so terribly. at least beyonce had something crazy on.

2. Christine May 8, 2012 at 06:37 #

I love how subtle this look is. BDOTW! The dress fits her like a T.

3. Christine May 8, 2012 at 06:37 #

The hair also works with this look.

4. Mandy May 8, 2012 at 06:41 #

Yes, with a dark lip color it would have been perfection !

5. CC May 8, 2012 at 06:42 #

tres boring dress for the met gala. i’m surprised with her restraint! usually she goes all out and crazy, and what better event than the met?

my issue with this dress is it is not figure flattering on her. makes her look wider than she is. again, a dress better reserved for a stick thin model

CC

6. doc May 8, 2012 at 06:44 #

That hair is awful. I agree that the blood red lip would have been perfect with this. She looked really washed out with the make-up she had. But I mean, that hair would be enough for me to kick her off the carpet. I don’t know where you got that side pic, but that is the worst one I have seen tonight.

7. Tina May 8, 2012 at 06:44 #

Don’t like this very much – too many dark colours going on. I almost wished that she kept the fire-red hair colour, because it would have been interesting to see the combination it creates.

8. Riley May 8, 2012 at 06:53 #

Tacky and trashy as always. This is forgettable even if it was classy.

• Natalie May 8, 2012 at 18:33 #

Tacky and trashy?! I disagree completely, I think it’s a beautiful dress, just a bit boring for the MET gala.

• EmmaWoodhouse May 8, 2012 at 23:33 #

I’m with you! A full-length tight animal skin patterned dress is SO tacky, not to mention the alien hair! And yet…it’s boring at the same time.

9. Amy May 8, 2012 at 07:03 #

love the dress hate the hair

10. roxana May 8, 2012 at 07:08 #

gorgeus!

11. vicky May 8, 2012 at 07:29 #

Sexy and sleek, I didn’t know Rihanna could do this so subtle.

12. bm May 8, 2012 at 08:09 #

Good Job, Ri Ri.
    Even you’re not one of my best dress tonight.

13. Wong Hiao Hiao May 8, 2012 at 08:24 #

That’s how you do sexy not slutty Ri-Ri!

14. Ramsay May 8, 2012 at 08:32 #

I don’t like that new haircut of hers – but it’s a superb dress – that is what you call second skin – What a night! What a night! Each dress is better than the other! It’s the oscar on steroids – and most looks are far more interesting

• Lee May 8, 2012 at 15:45 #

Ditto! She should have kept the red lipstick on!

15. Saree May 8, 2012 at 08:35 #

La la la … can do no wrong!

:D

16. Nat May 8, 2012 at 09:46 #

While watching the livestream, I had the impression that her hair looked like a pair of Minnie Mouse’s ears.
    She looks great and the dress fits perfectly, although I’m not really sure about the crocodile effect and I wish there was a pop of colour (lipstick, probably) somewhere.

17. Jones19 May 8, 2012 at 11:53 #

She looks amazing. I love it when she goes subdued glam like this.

18. Andreea May 8, 2012 at 12:54 #

Tom Ford sure knows how to create a big impact with his creations on the red carpet.I think Rihanna looks brilliant in this dress,but i don’t really like the hair.

19. Shaina May 8, 2012 at 13:19 #

Wow, she looks fantastic! I love the interesting texture of this dress. I’m not a fan of the hair though.

20. Alina May 8, 2012 at 13:21 #

Hate it.

21. BeatofA May 8, 2012 at 14:28 #

wow this would of been insanely expensive to make

22. Gillian May 8, 2012 at 15:56 #

bored

23. Ju Alves May 8, 2012 at 16:02 #

I think this is the best look from Rihanna!!! She really can show her power!!! It’s simple but very flattering!

24. Mol May 8, 2012 at 16:23 #

I find this look quite stunning, and I like the paler makeup with it, it sets it apart.

25. Rebecca Z May 8, 2012 at 16:54 #

Love it. Again, like Emily Blunt–how fun to go against the trend and wear something simple and clean. She knows just what she’s doing. No Beyonce mistake here.

26. Yeliz May 8, 2012 at 16:56 #

You weren’t exactly wrong FC. She had a ridiculous hairstyle, at least in my opinion. The rest of the look is also very boring, a dress type we’ve seen several times before. I continue at hating Rihanna’s red carpet choices.

27. serenissima7 May 8, 2012 at 19:56 #

i thought she looked amazing. no offense, FC (love you!) but I don’t think those pics are the most flattering.

her makeup looked much better here: http://idolator.com/photos/rihanna-costume-institute-gala/schiaparelli-and-prada-impossible-conversations-costume-institute-gala-11

28. Dan Oliver May 8, 2012 at 21:23 #

Love this on her she looks amazing fresh and sexy dress fits her like a glove

29. noo May 8, 2012 at 22:47 #

i always have an issue with tom ford, and with long sleeve backless dresses because the wearer can’t have more support for the girls!
    this dress might have changes my mind on all of the above!!! everything from fabric to fit is impeccable.

30. RoRo May 9, 2012 at 00:00 #

she looks GORGEOUS! i don’t like her hair. she should have stayed red without a buzz cut. i disagree with a dark lip because she would have looked depressed to me…so dark for no reason. Rooney Mara can be sooooo dark. She has a reason. Rihanna doesn’t need anymore “all-around” dark. She did that for a while and her reason was heartbreaking. She looks great in understated elegance. It’s a gala. Beyonce should get her pointers from Rihanna or Solange on this.

• RoRo May 9, 2012 at 00:08 #

just because you are a performer and have a stage persona or even a personal “wild-child” lifestyle doesn’t mean its boring to wear something sophisticated and chic to a gala. it means you have a sense of when and where to do something. kudos to Rihanna for not showing her butt (literally and figuratively) at the gala. love it!

31. Jess2 May 9, 2012 at 02:44 #

I was also expecting something really tragic. Those nails are ridiculous and I hate her hair but I quite like this more classier look beacause I really haven’t been a fan of her bare all looks.

32. Dhppy May 9, 2012 at 03:20 #

I’m bored.

33. Anna May 9, 2012 at 05:37 #

The dress is incredible. I actually prefer the look with neutral makeup.

34. Parvati May 9, 2012 at 11:56 #

Considering that an eccentric look by Rihanna could have gone really wrong, I like this “tamer” look here. The only eccentric part of her look is her hair, which I’m not crazy about, and her nails, which are scary…

35. The Truth May 12, 2012 at 14:19 #

Clearly there are quite a few people on crack .. lol In all seriousness everyone has their opinion .. I think she looks fantastic .. It’s a woman’s prerogative to change up every now and then .. Why be predictable for wearing over the top things all the time .. It gets old ..