Leighton Meester In Marchesa – 2012 Met Gala

We can usually count on Leighton Meester to deliver one of the most daring looks at the annual Met Gala, but such was not the case last night at the 2012 Met Gala in New York City.

Leighton arrived looking more like her Upper East Side ‘Gossip Girl’ character, Blair Waldorf, than the risk-taking fashionista that we’re used to, wearing a gold appliqué and nude tulle Marchesa Fall 2012 gown.

The gown is beautiful, in typical Marchesa fashion, but I think it would be better suited to someone like Anne Hathaway.

With her hair pulled back and a wine-coloured lip colour, which was too harsh for her look, the actress added a gold Marchesa clutch to provide the finishing touch.

This is a rare miss for Leighton, both in the dress and makeup department.

Credit: Style.com & Getty

Nina Dobrev In Donna Karan Atelier - 2012 Met Gala

Nina Dobrev In Donna Karan Atelier – 2012 Met Gala

Renée Zellweger In Emilio Pucci - 2012 Met Gala

Renée Zellweger In Emilio Pucci – 2012 Met Gala

65 Responses to Leighton Meester In Marchesa – 2012 Met Gala

1. Christine May 8, 2012 at 05:41 #

Her makeup is terrible!! This is the second Marchesa look in a row I disliked on Leighton.

This is not a good partnershop, sorry. The dress i a bit princess-y but I wish I can see the shoes. Hoping she delivers in the shoe game like she used to.

2. Riley May 8, 2012 at 05:42 #

I hate the earthy makeup. Why isn’t she wearing Vera Wang??? She would look far better in a custom Vera Wang creation.

Why is it that some Marchesa creations don’t transfer off the runway?

3. Christine May 8, 2012 at 05:42 #

partnership* Also the hair? Travesty.

4. Joy May 8, 2012 at 05:42 #

The makeup is really bad. But I like, not love the dress. I think it is sexy with her curves and the sheerness is very alluring. However, I’ve noticed Marchesa is not sitting well with many these days.

5. bm May 8, 2012 at 05:43 #

i think she missed in all departments.

6. doc May 8, 2012 at 05:43 #

Make-up isn’t working, but the dress itself is great and great on her. It’s a lot of volume at the bottom, but I think she fills it out well.

7. shap_half May 8, 2012 at 05:44 #

She looks radioactive.

• Ramsay May 8, 2012 at 15:04 #

:))

8. Rosalie May 8, 2012 at 05:48 #

soooo shiny

9. JamilaMaz May 8, 2012 at 05:49 #

Someone’s been marinating in St. Tropez every night that’s for sure

10. pipsqueak May 8, 2012 at 05:51 #

My first reaction to the picture was “Vivienne Westwood.” Maybe it was her bun, her hair color and the curvy fit of the gown on her. It just made me think of some “normal sized” models that I’ve seen on Viv’s runway as well as Viv herself.

11. Tina May 8, 2012 at 05:51 #

Not really liking the whole dark-lippie trend here at the Met – I’m kinda confuzzled how everyone just ended up wearing that lip color at this one event with even the most delicate, princessy dresses? The look is very so-so, very Marchesa, which doesn’t look brilliant on Leighton Meester. She is having problems with the shine on her face as well.

• doc May 8, 2012 at 06:08 #

I believe it’s an ode to Elsa Schiaparelli. In pics I’ve seen of her she seems to always have that deep blood red lip color. I can’t believe that was general fashion knowledge and I’m guessing somebody clued all these makeup artists in.

• ash May 8, 2012 at 19:40 #

One of the trends for Fall 2012 is dark glamour.. Darker colours for make up were everywhere at Milan Fashion Week

12. Haseena May 8, 2012 at 05:52 #

Not liking this look at all on Leighton,the nude shade of her Marchesa gown doesn’t compliment her skin tone,& the hair & makeup seems far too severe for the sublte look she was hoping to achieve.

13. Gillian May 8, 2012 at 05:53 #

I honestly feel like this look would’ve been amazing had she not been so tanned. I feel like I would’ve loved the unexpected lip color+dress with her natural skin tone

14. Aline May 8, 2012 at 05:58 #

She looks orange and is ruining one of my favorite gowns of the collection. Also, tbe dress doesnt flatter her at all, her hips look huge. I wish she had worn Oscar de la Renta.

15. P. May 8, 2012 at 06:01 #

WOW. and it’s not a good wow. Actually, very bad! She looks a hot mess! The hair colours looks awful, the make up even terrible, the tan looks bizarely ugly, looks like an ombre skin coloured, and the dress gives her an boxy silhouete, not mention the style of the dress, which should be restricted to the Fanning sisters. Clearly, Leighton and Marchesa partnership are not working at all!

16. Emma May 8, 2012 at 06:09 #

Everything is great from the neck down. The lip color is what ruins it for me.

Her skin color looks odd but that is also partly to the horrible lighing, I’ve seen other pics where it looks much better.

17. Cascia May 8, 2012 at 06:11 #

I think the problem is the photo. I’ve seen other photos (ej. red carpet E!) not orange just her natural skin tone and she looks so divine…in all departments.

• Maria May 8, 2012 at 06:17 #

live stream! Absolutely loved Leighton Meester in marchesa

• Jacqu May 8, 2012 at 06:41 #

Same here. I do think the problem is with the photo because in other photos, I was just in awe of her.

• Emma May 8, 2012 at 06:59 #

Exactly! The lighting at the beginning of the red carpet at the MET gala was beyond horrible and sadly everyone is using pics of Leighton from that end of the red carpet.

• CreoleLady May 8, 2012 at 10:23 #

Thank for confirming what I was starting to suspect — terrible lighting causing attendees to look like they have spray tans gone bad. I’ve seen other pics of some attendees where their skin tone looks totally different. Unfortunate.

• yop May 8, 2012 at 07:01 #

• Fab May 8, 2012 at 07:46 #

Yo vi una fotografia de Leighton junto con Sofia Vergara, Keren Craig y Georgina Chapman en Getty Imag (no sé si está permitido hacer referencia a esa web) . Ella luce como Diosa
        I saw a picture of Leighton along with Sofia Vergara, Georgina Chapman and Keren Craig at Getty Imag (not sure if allowed to refer to that site). She looks like Goddess

• Zimbra May 8, 2012 at 12:23 #

I see her at Vogue uk… looked divine.

• RCF May 8, 2012 at 16:24 #

• Jones19 May 8, 2012 at 12:08 #

I knew that Leighton couldn’t be orangey tan, that isn’t her!

• Carrie May 8, 2012 at 19:13 #

yes. I thought she was stunning and she kind of tried to look a little bit tanned, but the lightning of this photo is terrible and she looks really bad in this red picture

18. argentina May 8, 2012 at 06:19 #

Its so dissapointing when she is not playing Blair.

• yop May 8, 2012 at 07:02 #

• Carrie May 8, 2012 at 19:12 #

*rolling eyes to the deep*

19. Mandy May 8, 2012 at 06:36 #

Quote from Andre Leon Talley : Dragtitude !

• Christian May 8, 2012 at 08:02 #

Rude

20. CC May 8, 2012 at 06:44 #

rarely does a dress make a model look big on the runway. if it’s going to do that to the model, imagine what it will do to a “regular” person.

this dress is just a mess once u start going down past the waist…

CC

21. Lila May 8, 2012 at 07:11 #

She isn’t that tan! its the lighting, lots of other celebrities have had this problem too. You can see in other pictures that her skin is not at all so tan!

• Fab May 8, 2012 at 07:50 #

So sad

• cascia May 8, 2012 at 17:52 #

22. Dani May 8, 2012 at 07:43 #

The hair and make-up are a travesty. But the gown is stumpifying too. Expected a lot more from Leighton, for sure.

23. Stephanie May 8, 2012 at 08:06 #

Ew.

24. Wong Hiao Hiao May 8, 2012 at 08:28 #

Oh dear. Oily complexion, fried hair, lipstick the colour of dried blood. What a way to ruin a perfectly good dress.

25. Emi May 8, 2012 at 08:42 #

Shwe totally ruined the dress with that awful make up! She’s orange, terrible… This is one of the most important red carpet of the world… WHY?

26. elsak May 8, 2012 at 11:02 #

Eww omg her fake tan is soo bad and fake!

27. Sanette May 8, 2012 at 11:16 #

I don’t know if it’s the lighting but her hair looks blonde which is all kinds of terrible. And this dress is more Blair than Leighton.

28. Lisa May 8, 2012 at 12:01 #

Oof. The problem is that the gown makes Leighton look stumpy. She’s got a slim figure but the dress is doing her no favours. It doesn’t seem like she is wearing any heels, which is obviously not true because the girl loves heels. IDK why she looks 5ft in the dress.

Not to mention, the hair colour is awful. I’ve looked at several photos with different lighting/angles and the hair ages her. From the style to the colour. I love Leighton but this is definitely no me gusta.

29. J May 8, 2012 at 12:31 #

Beautiful young woman in a bad dress.

• Alina May 8, 2012 at 13:04 #

I agree.

• Sally May 8, 2012 at 14:43 #

• cascia May 8, 2012 at 17:50 #

30. Andreea May 8, 2012 at 13:00 #

Oh,no ! What happened ?!?!

31. Dianablues May 8, 2012 at 13:08 #

What the heck is going on with her face?! She looks as orange as the dress the woman behind her is wearing

32. Jess2 May 8, 2012 at 13:42 #

This makes me a little sad, not gonna lie. I think her makeup artist hates her :( that lip colour does not work well with the dress. However, I do think it might be the lighting of the photo that is making her look overly orange. Not a great look for Leighton but the dress is lovely and she is very beautiful

33. Janet Snakehole May 8, 2012 at 14:22 #

Of all the dresses that exist in this world, she picked this bigbird disaster. Just horrible.

Also make up and hair dont do her ANY justice. Im disappointed Leighton.

34. harris May 8, 2012 at 14:52 #

this is horrid

35. Yeliz May 8, 2012 at 15:37 #

One of the worst dressed of the night. I’m very dissapointed but I wasn’t expecting much either when I read that she is wearing Marchesa.
    To start with the dress, it’s not ugly but it’s not gorgeous either. The problem is that it makes her look thicker than she is from the hips down.
    Now the make-up and hair. They are ugly. This time it’s not only the lip color I dislike. The rest of her make-up is also bad. Her hair seems like that she didn’t spend much effort on it.
    And last but not least, I hate her pose.

36. RCF May 8, 2012 at 16:24 #

Toujours aussi jolie.

37. Hannah May 8, 2012 at 17:45 #

Coming form me, this is a big statement, but it is downright awful. The dress is ridiculously unflattering, her skin looks orange, and the lip is awful. I don’t even want ot see the shoes I’m too scared to look.

• gabis May 8, 2012 at 20:42 #

+1.
      But changing the subject, I wonder where’s Blake Lively and all the Chanel people? I don’t remember anyone wearing Chanel this year which is odd…

38. Felicia May 8, 2012 at 22:03 #

That dress makes her look bigger than she actually is, which is a huge no no. It is meant to be for the super skinny type!

The make-up is so ugly, I don’t understand why she did that! :(

But I’m really disappointed. She picked a bad time to slip up

39. Parvati May 8, 2012 at 22:33 #

The gown is beautiful and I don’t mind her wearing it, but her make-up and hair ruin everyhting. The lighting’s not very flattering, as it seems, but still, the make-up looks terrible and her hair is also awful. As a result, the whole look for me ends up being a disaster.

40. EmmaWoodhouse May 8, 2012 at 22:42 #

One of the biggest disappointments of the night. Had Anne Hathaway worn this dress, it could have been magical! However, Leighton’s persona does not fit the dress, and the dress does not fit her figure! It’s very unflattering and to make matters FAR worse, her tomato-orange tan and horrible hair and makeup make this such a painful look.

41. Dhppy May 9, 2012 at 02:41 #

When I saw the livestream, I gasped from the beauty of her. This photo is killing that memory.

42. Dominique May 9, 2012 at 10:05 #

Oh man she looks possessed… Um and the dress is abhorent…sadly!!

43. Tina May 9, 2012 at 11:05 #