08.05.12

Lana Del Ray In Altuzarra – 2012 Met Gala

Lana Del Ray did not skimp on the dramatics when it came to her look at the 2012 Met Gala, held in New York City this evening.

The singer, debuting a darker ‘do, attended the event on the arm of designer Joseph Altuzarra, wearing a custom black-and-silver hand-embroidered gown.

The strapless dress was paired with a custom black silk georgette cape.

Side-parted glossy waves and deep plum lips complete the look.

Credit: Getty

Karolina Kurkova In Rachel Zoe - 2012 Met Gala

Karolina Kurkova In Rachel Zoe – 2012 Met Gala

Jessica Alba In Michael Kors - 2012 Met Gala

Jessica Alba In Michael Kors – 2012 Met Gala

33 Responses to Lana Del Ray In Altuzarra – 2012 Met Gala

1. Christine May 8, 2012 at 02:32 #

ITA.

Dark lippie is becoming a trend…I see. I LOVE THIS! BDOTW.

2. EmmaWoodhouse May 8, 2012 at 02:34 #

SOMEONE lost their way to the Hogwarts 10 year reunion!
    LOL that was my first thought looking at this–I don’t know if I would like it on its own, but the cape looks cheap with it…it is a far cry from Gwyneth’s elegance, that’s for sure. Also, her makeup is too dark. Her hair is lovely but overall there’s something a little too costumey/gothic about this look for me.

3. 'NotAFan'BingBing May 8, 2012 at 02:35 #

This is really one of the worst looks of the night and just reads that Joseph is not a good designer when it comes to evening wear. When I put the two images next to each other, all I saw was High Market (Tom Ford), Low Diffusion Market (Altuzarra)…… Opportunity Missed!

• dee May 8, 2012 at 13:59 #

4. Riley May 8, 2012 at 02:37 #

I am surprised you aren’t hating the look FC. But your calmness toward this look has quelled a bit of my initial repulsion to the cape and the Gothic lipcolor. The gown is gorgeous and very Lana del Rey, but the cape and lippie are unforgivable for me.

I also hate her totally visible black thong. She should have done a light check because this is the ducking Met Gala. Visible panties is a Fashion Crime.

• EmmaWoodhouse May 8, 2012 at 02:56 #

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH the thong! I did not see at first!!!!!!!!!!!! (Clutches at hair and then dies)

• EmmaWoodhouse May 8, 2012 at 02:57 #

It’s funny, I never realized how see-through these sparkly dresses can be!

• Christine May 8, 2012 at 04:01 #

I didn’t even noticed the thong until you mentioned it. Now I can’t unsee it LOL :(

• Wong Hiao Hiao May 8, 2012 at 04:06 #

Nooooooo… now I can’t unsee the black thong!!!

• Jacqu May 8, 2012 at 05:09 #

ACK! I didn’t see the thong until you pointed it out.

I’d go with Good Witch/Cheap Witch with those two. She can’t be called at par with the Paltrow

• Tina May 8, 2012 at 05:38 #

Oh my god now that you mention it I totally see the black thong! It’s like an optical illusion aaaahahh.

• vicky May 8, 2012 at 07:07 #

I wish I hadn’t read that comment! Now I can’t see anything but that…

• Jess2 May 10, 2012 at 12:19 #

I couldn’t put my finger on what the problem was but thats it!!

5. T from Sydney May 8, 2012 at 02:41 #

i dont like it or hate it.
    its a forgettable dress. it just doesn’t stand out with the rest of the dresses, even with the cape.

the dark lips look was a trend tonight.

6. CTgirl May 8, 2012 at 02:43 #

This is a little too Phantom of the Opera for me. Theatrical rather than fashion.

7. DivaDebbi (Beauty and Fashion Blog) May 8, 2012 at 02:48 #

Lol FC, yes! But this really does look like Halloween. The gown however is divine. I like her hair much better in this richer shade.

8. JG May 8, 2012 at 02:54 #

She is just so uninspiring. You can put her in anything (good or bad), and she is just…meh.

9. CeCe May 8, 2012 at 03:29 #

Whilst I like the look, I think I can see her underwear

10. Anj May 8, 2012 at 03:30 #

I don’t know if it’s the way she’s standing, but it looks more like a jumpsuit than a gown. Those look like low-riding pant legs especially with that v in her crotch area. What is that?
    On another note, she tooootally looks like an older Hermione Granger!

• Wong Hiao Hiao May 8, 2012 at 04:08 #

+1 to older Hermione Granger. The dress is gorgeous, Lana is gorgeous, but I just can’t warm to her looks. There’s something off-putting about her. Oh and that deep plum lipstick is so totally Elvira.

11. Sabina May 8, 2012 at 03:44 #

I am disappointed in this look..it could’ve been acceptable if it fit her better and with more natural makeup…I am hating the dark lip trend, it’s so unflattering on everyone!

12. bm May 8, 2012 at 04:16 #

Gwyneth’s oscar look is ok, but this just is a disaster. I don’t like cape in red carpet.

13. Emi May 8, 2012 at 06:21 #

I’m a fan of her and I like Altuzarra, so I like it, quite gothic… I love the color of her hair, by the way. Honestly, watching the photo, I’m not sure if it’s a black thong she’s wearing or it’s just the effect of the fabric of the dress. If she wore a black thong, well it’s bit disappointing, nude underwear should be a must on the red carpet, but I don’t mind anyway.

14. CC May 8, 2012 at 06:57 #

for some reason this ensemble just looks cheaply made to me.

CC

15. Nat May 8, 2012 at 10:58 #

The dress is ok (nothing special, but ok).
    Gwyneth proved that capes can be up-to-date and elegant, but this one looks really cheap. Like something you would buy last minute when you have a fancy dress party and you just add it to your regular outfit to pretend you’re dressed up as a vampire.

16. Alina May 8, 2012 at 12:46 #

“If you placed this photo of Lana next to a picture of Gwyneth Paltrow and her white cape at this year’s Oscars, you’d have the perfect ‘Good Witch/Bad Witch,’ no?” – LOL.

17. Yeliz May 8, 2012 at 14:29 #

Love everything about this look except the lip colour and mostly her bored look.

18. Felicia May 8, 2012 at 19:56 #

She should not have worn the cape. Or rather that random cloth she calls a cape. After Gwyneth, if you’re gonna wear a cape, it has to be fierce!
    The dress is actually pretty gorgeous by it’s self but the cape distracts you from that.
    Then you get the thong. I can’t even begin to explain how sloppy and unclassy that is it me. I mean, how could you not noticed that before you left the hotel?

19. Dan Oliver May 8, 2012 at 21:36 #

I love the dress the cape is unnecessary but im obsessed with her so ill forgive her.

20. Parvati May 8, 2012 at 21:48 #

I quite like this look. I like the addition of the cape and although I would have thought that a light lip colour would suit her better, I don’t hate the dark lipstick on her.

21. Lea May 9, 2012 at 15:10 #

uhmm horrible look it rather like a halloween costume with the cape, btw is Lana del REY, not RAY or?

22. Dominique May 10, 2012 at 01:28 #

Oh yes! Love the cape and the dress! Great hair and make-up. Omg this is just sooo good!

23. Jess2 May 10, 2012 at 12:25 #

I am neither here nor there with this look. To be honest it is going to have to take a very very special caped outift to come even a little bit close to the calibre of Gwynie. Anything else is probably going to some off as weak and unfortunately this is the case with this outfit, especially with the whole visible panties thing – Good fahsion/Bad fashion

I do love her hair though and I even like her makeup a bit