08.05.12

Kate Bosworth In Prada – 2012 Met Gala

Kate Bosworth proved that short dresses can be every bit as dramatic as floor-length ball gowns at the 2012 Met Gala on Monday night.

Wow. I had to fully examine this look from every angle a few times before forming any thoughts.

Final verdict: amazing.

Kate looked truly spectacular in Prada, wearing an ombre bordeaux and navy ostrich feather mini-dress with a daring low-cut back.

An eggplant clutch and strappy two-tone sandals by Prada accessorize the feathery frock.

A severe braided topknot and deep plum lips, one the biggest trends of the evening, finish the dramatic look.

Love it or not, you have to give Kate credit for not playing it safe.

Credit: Getty

Florence Welch In Alexander McQueen - 2012 Met Gala

Florence Welch In Alexander McQueen – 2012 Met Gala

Emma Stone In Lanvin - 2012 Met Gala

Emma Stone In Lanvin – 2012 Met Gala

47 Responses to Kate Bosworth In Prada – 2012 Met Gala

1. Mollie May 8, 2012 at 03:56 #

Love the dress, love the accessories, love the makeup, LOVE the shoes, love the colors… not totally sold on the hair but thats OK :) I’ve already had three or four favorites tonight but I think she is IT!

Thank you for all of the wonderful coverage, Fashion Critic!

2. Riley May 8, 2012 at 03:57 #

The dark lippie on Kate is the only case where I like it at this Met Gala. She looks great and took a page out of Coco Rocha’s book by looking fierce.

Kate can do ‘fashiony fashiony’ looks like this when she puts her mind to it, as this look and her shimmering Alexander McQueen look a few years back at the Vanity Fair Oscar Party.

3. Emmeline May 8, 2012 at 03:57 #

Kate always brings her A-game at the Met and this was no exception. Even though I’m not generally crazy about that lip color, it works so well here.

4. Christine May 8, 2012 at 04:00 #

I adore this fun look. I love the flapper-esque style of it.

5. Linda May 8, 2012 at 04:01 #

One of my favourite of the night; took a risk that paid off.

6. Nick May 8, 2012 at 04:02 #

Love Love Love it… i’m also loving the plum lips its a nice change from the neon pinks and bright reds of the last few months

7. Priscila May 8, 2012 at 04:03 #

She looks gorgeous.
    Kate said to JustJared that this was her first custom dress. Ans that she felt lucky and special and I think you can see how excited she is about it.

8. Sabina May 8, 2012 at 04:04 #

I have to retract my comment regarding the dark lip not looking good on anyone…kate totally rocks it! it complements her dress so well and she is so fresh!

9. Teleholic May 8, 2012 at 04:15 #

BEST RED CARPET EVER!

10. T from Sydney May 8, 2012 at 04:19 #

she looks great but i feels like this style of dress has been done before…so im not too impressed.

her make up is always flawless. she makes me want to do the berry lips.

11. MG May 8, 2012 at 04:24 #

i think she is the best dressed so far

12. Cinders May 8, 2012 at 04:39 #

Did all the stylists get memos tonight that goth lips are a thing now? Sheesh. I would have loved Kate’s look if her lip shade was a tad lighter.

13. bm May 8, 2012 at 04:43 #

She looks gorgeous, another one of my best dress.

14. Joy May 8, 2012 at 04:48 #

Okay, I don’t know how I feel about this short style showing up at the Gala that is supposed to be gowns. However, this is a perfect look. This dress is divine with the deep ombre colors and the cut of the dress is soooo sexy! A winner for sure. Even though I don’t know if the Met was the right place for this, as it just doesn’t appear as dressy as a gown I adore this dress and her look is perfection!

15. Ange May 8, 2012 at 05:21 #

She looks amazing! This is how you do short at a gala night!
    Loving the berry lip as well.

16. jenaly May 8, 2012 at 05:49 #

this is amazing!!!

17. Gillian May 8, 2012 at 05:55 #

YES. I knew Kate Bosworth would deliver the oomph we were all expecting in this year’s MET Gala

18. Tina May 8, 2012 at 06:08 #

This is one of the few times tonight that I actually don’t mind the lip colour. The dress is very dramatic yet flirty at the same time – love the shoes too!

19. Emi May 8, 2012 at 06:08 #

She looks great, I love the make up, the lipstick is great, I’ve never seen her with a dark make up. She looks absolutely stunning, i’m a big fan of her style, but I hate feathers, so I’m not so exciting for this look.

20. Mandy May 8, 2012 at 06:39 #

Now this is how you work a dark lip color ! Bravo !

21. CC May 8, 2012 at 06:46 #

this girl can wear most anything and make it look good

CC

22. roxana May 8, 2012 at 07:16 #

she looks great, but it doesn’t seem a dress proper to event!

23. Liana May 8, 2012 at 07:37 #

This is so 90′s (shoes, makeup), but oh so RIGHT.

I absolutely love this and would wear that kind of look anytime :)

24. JJ May 8, 2012 at 07:41 #

I have to say, Kate is getting good in this game. She rocks in this dress. Impeccable!

25. Saree May 8, 2012 at 08:40 #

Wow wow wow!!

As I commented on Renee Z’s look – very 90s IMO. But it works so well!

The colour, the make up – she is definitely owning this. BDOTN & BDOTW.

26. Annel May 8, 2012 at 10:01 #

OMG! She kills it! She’s a natural style genius.

27. Niki May 8, 2012 at 10:30 #

The more I look at this, the more I like it. The colours are unexpected on her, but suit her so well! Gorgeous! I like the make-up, but am not sure about the hair. I like the severe, but I am not convinced on the tiny little plaited bun. But other than that, this is a very drool worthy outfit.

28. Sofie May 8, 2012 at 10:53 #

I swear I’ve seen this exact dress on other actresses before. The dress is fine, but the Met Gala is NOT a place to wear a recycled look.

29. What Is The New Black May 8, 2012 at 11:06 #

I LOVE it! Perfect lipstick too!

30. katie May 8, 2012 at 11:53 #

I think she looks drop dead gorgeous, she just rocks the look totally and can pull off a short dress here

31. Jess2 May 8, 2012 at 12:21 #

This look totally rocks!! I have to be honest though, I don’t like the earrings but I do love everything else. Loving the lip colour trend and Kate is a perfect example of how to really wear the darker shades :) Perfection

32. asherlev1 May 8, 2012 at 12:40 #

I agree with what someone else said – the dark lippie on Kate is really the first time that I’m LOVING the trend.

Gahh, she’s perfection.

33. Alina May 8, 2012 at 12:59 #

I don’t like it.

• EmmaWoodhouse May 8, 2012 at 15:31 #

+1 I don’t like the vibe of the dress (and all over feathers always seem a bit hairy to me) and the dark lip doesn’t work for me either (although Kate pulls it off better than anyone else has done yet). I like gowns at the Met anyway!

34. Colleen May 8, 2012 at 14:44 #

I like everything but the lipstick. Way to dark, IMO.

35. Yeliz May 8, 2012 at 15:10 #

I appreciate that she didn’t play safe but I don’t like this look.

36. Mol May 8, 2012 at 16:40 #

This is my favorite short look of the night. I loved Gwynth’s dress but not on her, whereas this dress seems a perfect fit for Kate and I agree with everyone else that the dark lippie really works here.

37. Rebecca Z May 8, 2012 at 17:15 #

It is a spectacular dress, but i would have liked to have seen it on someone with beautiful legs. this woman is so skinny that I don’t the dress looks as good on her.

38. Natalie19 May 8, 2012 at 17:24 #

Too skinny… i mean look at those legs!

I love the makeup, though

39. Hannah May 8, 2012 at 17:58 #

ITA :Spectacular!
    I think that a smokey eye instead of the lip would have worked better, but this is sublime.
    It is modern yet retro all at the same time. Honestly one of my favourites of the night, no contest.

40. Natalie May 8, 2012 at 18:45 #

I adore this. Love everything except for the hair.

41. Felicia May 8, 2012 at 20:54 #

I don’t like it.
    I get why people like the outfit.
    I can condone everything from the knee up but the shoes are just ugly.

But I will admit that she is rocking the whole gothic lip trend!

42. Parvati May 8, 2012 at 22:17 #

I’m not really a fan of this look, but I’ve gotta say that the colour combination is very interesting and although I don’t like the dark lipstick on its own, I like how it matches the dress.

43. Dhppy May 9, 2012 at 02:18 #

I actually love a Prada dress, that’s not easy for me. Somehow, the short look fits in perfectly.

44. Suz May 9, 2012 at 03:34 #

I’m in the minority I guess. I thought this was boring & several actresses & models have done this look before. The color of the dresses being the difference. I really don’t get all the fuss.

45. Dominique May 10, 2012 at 01:24 #

Oh MY GOSH does this WERK!!!!! AMAZING!!!! Would love to see the back. Oh wow the lipstick/make-up is just perfect!

46. gabis May 10, 2012 at 02:13 #

Too “black swan” for my taste. Plus she should get rid of that hair style, it’s unflaterring for daily use and even more when it comes to red carpet events. Not a fan of the dark lips either. To tell the truth, the only thing I like about this look is the eggplant clutch.