08.05.12

Emma Stone In Lanvin – 2012 Met Gala

Emma Stone was among those I was most excited to see arrive at the 2012 Met Gala in New York City on Monday evening.

Unfortunately, I was in for a bit of a letdown.

Wearing one of the evening’s rare short dresses, Emma arrived in a custom-made Lanvin creation by Alber Elbaz.

While the bright red satin dress with hand embroidered crystal flowers is undeniably gorgeous, it feels too cutesy on Emma – especially at the Met Gala. This is more of an Elle Fanning look don’t you think?

Emma opted for a ‘90’s updo which was held together with custom-made Lanvin crystal hair pins.

Black pumps, which I dislike, complete the look.

Credit: Getty

Kate Bosworth In Prada - 2012 Met Gala

Kate Bosworth In Prada – 2012 Met Gala

Sarah Jessica Parker In Valentino Couture - 2012 Met Gala

Sarah Jessica Parker In Valentino Couture – 2012 Met Gala

38 Responses to Emma Stone In Lanvin – 2012 Met Gala

1. Bec May 8, 2012 at 05:05 #

She looks about 13 in the first picture. and those shoes….really Emma? REALLY?!

2. Emmeline May 8, 2012 at 05:07 #

I kind of love this, even though I feel like I shouldn’t.

I agree that the hair feels very 90s, which I think is part of why I like it. I think if the skirt had been a little less full that it really would have been amazing.

And just as a side note, I thought Emma and Alber were one of the cutest couples on the carpet tonight.

• Dani May 8, 2012 at 07:48 #

I love it too. Adorable may not be what you’re going for at the Met Gala, but oh well. 90s hair rules!

• J May 8, 2012 at 12:33 #

I like it. Emma makes it charming. Perhaps it’s her smile that does it.

• Caro May 8, 2012 at 20:09 #

I love everything except the shoes. She looks adorable and sexy at the same time. But, why oh why those black pumps?

3. Christine May 8, 2012 at 05:07 #

I pictured this on the fanning girls. ITA, FC.

Not boring but not exciting either.

4. NooG May 8, 2012 at 05:07 #

Awful awful shoes.

5. Wong Hiao Hiao May 8, 2012 at 05:21 #

My thoughts exactly FC. Lovely, but not for a Met Gala moment :(

6. Ella May 8, 2012 at 05:21 #

Ever since she went back to the blonde hair, Emma has taken a nose dive…..and I adore Emma. So this look pains me.

It does look Elle Fanning to me, FC

• Riley May 8, 2012 at 05:30 #

I agree. I would wear this dress in a heartbeat as my style is 80% girly, but the shoes kill it and she needed a stunning gown.

7. Joy May 8, 2012 at 05:26 #

I like this dress, but think it would have been so much better if it was longer. And, like all the other short looks, totally not for the Met gala.

8. Aline May 8, 2012 at 05:28 #

The only thing missing is, of course, a lollipop.

*sigh*

Emma was one of my major disappointments today. The dress itself is beautiful but should not be worn by anyone older than 12. It looks ridiculous on her, to be quite honest, and paired with this hairstyle it only looks even worse. I cant put in words how disappointed I am.

• bm May 8, 2012 at 05:46 #

LOL, agree.

9. pipsqueak May 8, 2012 at 05:31 #

I love this look, though I can see it was a bit casual and even cheesy for the occasion. On the other hand, I thought the dress really suited Emma’s spirit and flattered her already enviable legs. Oh well … it’s Emma Stone. She’s got great future in the business. Met isn’t the last train of fame that she must catch.

10. Ade May 8, 2012 at 05:37 #

She should have swapped dresses with Dakota fanning.

11. msd May 8, 2012 at 05:42 #

I actually like this because I get the feeling it’s Lanvin does Prada which is, after all, a theme of the night, rather than just Lanvin does Lanvin.

12. Gillian May 8, 2012 at 05:53 #

I totally feel the same way, but I actually like the voluminous skirt because I feel like it adds so much to the entire look.

I just hope she wore a different pair of shoes.

13. Emi May 8, 2012 at 06:38 #

What a letdown… I’m looking forward to see her but this dress is nonsense on her. I agree with you FC, Elle Fanning would look so cute in it. Emma is so young but this not glamorous, not elegant… Plus, custom made? I think the fit is bad, her waist looks wider and it’s too high. Black pumps with this dress? No, definitely a disappointed look, I’m surprised. What a pity, one of the worst outfits, for me.

14. CC May 8, 2012 at 06:48 #

cute, but wld have worn different heels.

CC

15. vicky May 8, 2012 at 07:03 #

What a let down…
    Kind of reminds me of Drew Barrymore in the 90s, or something the Fanning girls (preferably Elle) would wear today.
    And the shoes! Had they been better I’d let this pass as a homage to the 90s.

16. Saree May 8, 2012 at 08:39 #

I was beginning to be interested and take note of her… until she has taken 10 steps back to PROM LOOK!

Get over this please Emma – you’re far too old for this look. This should be for the under 21s and even the under 18s.

No, no, no!

17. cat May 8, 2012 at 09:13 #

I LOVE the bright red with the crystal flowers but the dress would have had more impact if it was floor length, although not this poofy haha

But i still really like this

18. Annel May 8, 2012 at 10:04 #

Gives me a Judy Garland association from The Wizard of Oz, and it’s very charming and a beautiful dress and hair and make-up fits perfectly well together. I even like the shoes that tone the look down. But I agree that it simply doesn’t fit her age and her overall image. It’s a bit bizarre.

19. Niki May 8, 2012 at 10:34 #

It’s very cute, and I like it and adore Emma, but I think this would have been better suited for a photocall or the MTV movie awards or something. It is not really Met Gala-ish. But still very cute.

20. What Is The New Black May 8, 2012 at 11:01 #

I don’t think it’s too ‘cutesy’ on Emma, but maybe for the Met Gala, yeah. Adorable dress though!

21. Jess2 May 8, 2012 at 12:59 #

There is no denying that Emma is beautiful and she looks lovely in this dress which is so cute but I do think this is a bit too girly for Emma, especially considering all of the fantastic looks she has given us over the last year.

22. Alina May 8, 2012 at 13:00 #

Really? I refuse to believe this is Emma Stone.

23. Andreea May 8, 2012 at 13:05 #

I’m always excited to see Emma on the red carpet and she rarely lets me down.Unfortunately,this time was one of those rare times..

24. Colleen May 8, 2012 at 14:43 #

She adorable and this is so cutesy. I don’t want to like it, but I kinda do. It’s not what I was expecting from her at all. The shoes are just terrible.

25. Yeliz May 8, 2012 at 15:15 #

I would’ve never believed that Emma won’t be event appropriate but it seems like she is.. I hope that this is a exception at her usually great red carpet choices.

26. Zineb May 8, 2012 at 17:02 #

The first thing that croosed my mind when I saw Emma in this dress was Minnie Mouse :D

27. Rebecca Z May 8, 2012 at 17:13 #

I actually think she looks great, though she could have chosen better shoes. The dress is young, but she really looks like she is having fun wearing it. Not taking the whole event too seriously–not an entirely bad thing.

28. Taylor May 8, 2012 at 18:29 #

Looks like she’s having fun… which is so Emma. I like it except for the shoes.

29. Felicia May 8, 2012 at 21:15 #

She looks like something a pixie threw up.

The top looks like it doesn’t fit properly. Like, she looks like a child.

This is something I would’ve seen on Dakota pre-puberty.

I really really don’t like this. Ultimate let down!

30. Parvati May 8, 2012 at 22:19 #

I was also disappointed by Emma Stone on this occasion. She has worn so many gorgeous looks in the past, that this is really confusing. I agree that the dress is too cutesy for her and the black pumps are an inexplicable choice.

31. EmmaWoodhouse May 8, 2012 at 22:50 #

Got to say this is kind of adorable. The hair is a bit cutesy, the dress is VERY cutesy, and the shoes are bad…yet other than the shoes she is just SO lovable. That said, I would have loved to see a MAJOR red carpet moment, so this is disappointing in that way.

32. noo May 8, 2012 at 22:55 #

let me start by saying that i completely adore the look, i was born in the 90s and am currently going through a nostalgia phase, and emma is hitting all the proper notes (hair, color, boring shoes and all).

but as cute as this is, emma and alber should have not decided on this for the MET GALA. it is supposed to be your biggest red carpet night of the year, not dressing up as jenna elfman for halloween!!!

33. Dhppy May 9, 2012 at 02:23 #

The power of Emma Stone is in effect. Normally, I wouldn’t like this, but she sold me. Even the uninspired shoe choice doesn’t bug me. Perhaps it’s her joie de vivre. I look at her and smile too.