Elizabeth Banks In Mary Katrantzou – 2012 Met Gala

Elizabeth Banks schooled January Jones on how to rock a Mary Katrantzou dress on the red carpet tonight at the 2012 Met Gala.

When I learnt that Elizabeth would be wearing the British-based designer, I knew she wouldn’t wimp out, and I’m proud that she picked the least safe look and worked it.

The digitally printed dress with an oversized peplum and central split was teamed with a red clutch and Christian Louboutin peep-toes with an embellished heel.

I don’t suppose this will go down well with many, but she is my favourite so far.

A chic updo and a pink lip colour completed her look.

Credit: Style.com & Getty

Meryl Streep In Stella McCartney - 'August : Osage County' Paris Premiere

Meryl Streep In Stella McCartney – ‘August : Osage County’ Paris Premiere

Coco Rocha In Vintage Givenchy - 2012 Met Gala

Coco Rocha In Vintage Givenchy – 2012 Met Gala

53 Responses to Elizabeth Banks In Mary Katrantzou – 2012 Met Gala

1. Lei May 8, 2012 at 01:10 #

LOVE the dress… not feeling the hair! She definitely worked this!

2. EmmaWoodhouse May 8, 2012 at 01:10 #

You know, I almost could have gone with this had it not been for the slit. The slit breaks up the clean line of the skirt and makes the gown look pedestrian. That said, it IS pretty cray-cray–her hair and makeup aren’t helping but it’s nice to see some drama.
    Major Effie moment, right? :D

• Quinn May 8, 2012 at 03:26 #

i agree! i would have loved this more without the slit.

3. Riley May 8, 2012 at 01:11 #

Whilst I am not buying Elizabeth Banks as a fashionista or fashion-forward, she looks stunning and I am glad she didn’t go for the obvious, like a strapless gown.

This is a great look.

4. Chloe May 8, 2012 at 01:11 #

I think there’s way too much going on. Plus, she looks very restricted.

• J May 8, 2012 at 12:37 #

Agree. WAY too much going on here.

• dee May 8, 2012 at 13:51 #

I agree. This dress is too busy and ugly.

• Zineb May 8, 2012 at 17:27 #

What an ugly dress indeed

• alham May 8, 2012 at 14:44 #

If either piece – cape, blouse, peplum or skirt were solid, the look might have worked out. Too many prints going on there…

5. Vidhya May 8, 2012 at 01:14 #

I love it neck down.. the hair is bad and her makeup is always greasy!

6. CreoleLady May 8, 2012 at 01:18 #

Busy and bulky. This trim woman is anything but bulky in the torso yet this look makes her so. She’s taken the Effie thing one step too far for me to follow. A miss imo.

7. Christine May 8, 2012 at 01:18 #

As much as I love Elizabeth style and her styling, I am not feeling this dress on her. With the mixed prints, length and the peplum.

8. Dani May 8, 2012 at 01:21 #

Without the over-the-shoulders bit the hair would have worked and it would have been much more sleek, but I suppose it would also have been wimping out a bit! :)

9. Luiza May 8, 2012 at 01:23 #

Oh I wanted to like it but I don’t! Prints are a tough thing to pull it off on the red carpet and I don’t think Elizabeth does.

10. Linda May 8, 2012 at 01:25 #

Looks better on the model without the slit and with the peplum flared out more. Falls a bit flat on Elizabeth, but I do appreciate the risk.

11. Bec May 8, 2012 at 01:26 #

I love it, she is so fearless on the red carpet.

12. Rachel May 8, 2012 at 01:30 #

A very busy dress and not what I would necessarily have picked for her from this collection but damn, she is working it!

13. Hannah May 8, 2012 at 01:35 #

I’m so on the fence abotu this. On one hand, I love the dres,s btu on the other, I don’t like her in it. I really hate the fit of the skirt, I think sh elooks washed out, the makeup is poor, and the hair is tragic.
    Also, it reminds me wayy too much of January’s look before teh weekend, which isn[‘t helped by the fact that I always compare them.

14. T from Sydney May 8, 2012 at 01:35 #

i love it but after the hunger games tour this is a let down. i was hoping for some colour but she still looked better than most.

watching the live feed did anyone else hate that photographer shouting in the background. why would they have a mic close to thoes guys?!?! some of his comments were entertaining but for 2 hrs i was sick of it by the end.

15. Carolina May 8, 2012 at 01:38 #

No. She’s trying hard to work it, but unfortunately it is working her harder. A classic case of the dress wearing the woman. She also looks like she suspects it.

• Dhppy May 9, 2012 at 01:47 #

This dress would wear a lion tamer. It’s too overpowering.

16. Rebecca Z May 8, 2012 at 01:40 #

Agree that she looks pretty uncomfortable in the dress, but she is rocking it!

17. msd May 8, 2012 at 01:41 #

I’m glad she didn’t play it safe but she looks uncomfortable and she isn’t selling it. An unusual dress like this needs someone edgier and darker to do it justice. Perhaps Eva Green? Plus, her hair and makeup is too bland and muted for the outfit.

18. christine May 8, 2012 at 01:43 #

she looks like she is choking or really uncomfortable. i think i would really like the dress if it didn’t have the shoulder piece.

19. Aline May 8, 2012 at 01:44 #

I think this is an interesting dress, but I dont love it. It’s an okay look.

20. CTgirl May 8, 2012 at 01:46 #

This look is teetering on the edge of going over to her Hunger Games character. Too much of everything.

21. 2c May 8, 2012 at 01:46 #

She’s got a bit of a ‘Nicole Kidman-concealer’ situation going on.

22. Sally May 8, 2012 at 01:47 #

I love this dress on the model, but it’s just disappointing on EBanks. The peplum is a flop, the slit is just wrong and her hair/makeup is boring.

23. VB Lover May 8, 2012 at 02:00 #

How very Effie Trinket of her. She is workin it! I love it!!!

24. NooG May 8, 2012 at 02:11 #

I’m thinking Hunger Games right now – all that seems missing is the funky makeup from the Capital. I think the model makes it so much more real life wearable.

25. P. May 8, 2012 at 04:02 #

very interesting dress, but I’m not shure if she rocked it!! These fashion foward frocks are not for her. She should stick to the beloved Elie Saab. Let these type of dresses to the edgy people, the likes of Chloe Sevigny. Even been very petite, I think Cristina Ricci would’ve owned it!

26. bm May 8, 2012 at 04:15 #

I hate it (sorry), it is not like a dress, it’s like a box to me. She missed this time.

27. Joy May 8, 2012 at 05:07 #

Yikes. Good on her for always trying something different and keeping it exciting. But this is no good for me. Too science fictiony with all the caplet thingy. And the colors…icky. Sorry FC, I always feel badly when I disagree with you. I respect you so much. :)

• Fashion Critic May 8, 2012 at 05:13 #

lol…don’t worry… we were bound to disagree at some point ;D

28. Yeliz May 8, 2012 at 05:17 #

Well I’m loving her red carpet choices since her THG promo tour but this one is dissapointing. I agree with everyone who said that she looks uncomfortable and that there is too much going on here. I hoped that she will be one of my favorites but she isn’t.

29. Felicia May 8, 2012 at 05:40 #

This dress is ugly. Like I can’t even try to try and like it. Only thing that’s good about it for me is the shape. Overall. No!

30. Heather Coggins May 8, 2012 at 05:49 #

I am all for using collars to accessorize but this such a tough look to pull off. Coco Chanel said to take 1 thing off before leaving the house. Turtleneck Shoulder Pad Cape, Peplum, Belt, Slit, Plaid, Red bag. Take your pick!

31. Haseena May 8, 2012 at 06:30 #

I definatly agree, I don’t buy Elizabeth Banks as a style icon either! This look is not great on her,too contrived not natural & free flowing like you would expect from her type of celebrity & personality.

32. CC May 8, 2012 at 07:00 #

is this the designer stars turn to when they want to look different? or on trend?

the updo is not chic. it is terrible looking.

CC

33. afroditi May 8, 2012 at 07:14 #

Mary Katrantzou is a Greek designer that lives and works in London

34. vicky May 8, 2012 at 07:22 #

Love the dress but she’s not quite making it work.
    I actually think it overwhelms her a bit, with both the high neck and the waist peplum.
    Kind of wished Coco Rocha had worn this.

35. Nicoletta May 8, 2012 at 07:28 #

Fabulous Dress from THE GREEK DESIGNER MARY KATRANTZOU

36. Gabriel May 8, 2012 at 08:45 #

Mary is not a British designer! She is Greek! She has only moved in London the last 9 years.

37. Jess2 May 8, 2012 at 09:40 #

This is a cool look, good on her for taking a risk.

38. Alina May 8, 2012 at 12:37 #

I don’t like it. I’m sad because I really wanted to like her look.

39. JessCar May 8, 2012 at 13:09 #

Dislike this – should have got rid of the shoulder part, would have worked so much better. Okay take a risk, but only if you can pull it off……

40. Colleen May 8, 2012 at 14:49 #

My first reaction was “what the heck is this?” but the more I look at it, the more I absolutely LOVE it! Good on her for taking a risk!

41. Gillian May 8, 2012 at 16:19 #

first time I hate what EBanks is wearing, definitely a risk that did not pay off for me. This is exactly the type of “expected” shape and style people associate couture with that it has become a little too try-hard looking for me. And she looks like she can’t breathe in it too.

42. Mimmi May 8, 2012 at 16:30 #

I love her in this dress! She is a risktaker on the red carpet, and never boring.

43. Parvati May 8, 2012 at 21:29 #

I wouldn’t list this as my favourite look of the night, but she definitely pulls off this risky dress. I love how she doesn’t play it safe!

44. Dhppy May 9, 2012 at 01:46 #

Sometimes I love Katrantzou. This is not one of those times.

45. MaruMiller May 16, 2012 at 00:04 #