Solange Knowles attended the 6th Annual DKMS Linked Against Blood Cancer Gala at Cipriani Wall Street in New York City last night.

The star wore a Stéphane Rolland Spring 2012 Couture gown.

Her white futuristic gown with sculptural details on the hips, which falls from a gold plate at the waist, is sensational.

I love the simple styling with a complementary gold cuff, but I’m not dying over this look as I should be.

Why? Because I think Solange is lacking the height needed to really pull this look off.

The gown looks a lot more streamlined on the model.

Credit: Elle.com & Getty

Who Wore Alessandra Rich Better? Li Bingbing or Samantha Cameron

Who Wore Alessandra Rich Better? Li Bingbing or Samantha Cameron

Cameron Diaz In Rachel Roy - 2012 Pioneer Of The Year Dinner Honoring DreamWorks

Cameron Diaz In Rachel Roy – 2012 Pioneer Of The Year Dinner Honoring DreamWorks

45 Responses to Solange Knowles In Stéphane Rolland Couture – 6th Annual DKMS Linked Against Blood Cancer Gala

1. Terry April 27, 2012 at 09:34 #

Her make-up and hairstyle is another reason why this look doesn’t work on her.

• bm April 27, 2012 at 11:28 #

• Jones19 April 27, 2012 at 12:29 #

yep the hair and makeup are lacking. Could have been such a stunning look.

• Alina April 27, 2012 at 12:59 #

• roxy April 27, 2012 at 13:52 #

+1 it’s really lacking. She should have gone for bolder colours

• dee April 27, 2012 at 13:55 #

+100

2. T from Sydney April 27, 2012 at 09:36 #

it looks like an Iphone was suck to the dress..

if you lack the hight even in heels get the dress tailored to you.

• happydaiz April 27, 2012 at 09:53 #

Haha! I was going to say the same thing!!

• EmmaWoodhouse April 27, 2012 at 12:33 #

LOL it does. I don’t like that detail. The model definitely had the height to pull this off and Solange does not. I appreciate the effort from her, but it doesn’t translate well.

• Riley April 27, 2012 at 14:59 #

I agree with you all. Bummer for her, but I totally get what she was going for.

• Lisa Villeneuve April 28, 2012 at 02:22 #

iphone – i saw exactly the same thing!!! – what a way to ruin a dress design

• effiee April 28, 2012 at 04:13 #

I had the exact same thought. It really is an awkwardly shaped embellishment.

3. Jennifer April 27, 2012 at 09:38 #

Can someone please explain to me who this girl is and what she does to wear this couture dress (in which she has sadly ruined!)??? I know she is the sister to Beyonce but really…. I loathe the Kardashian just as much as you FC but at least I can respect their intelligence in terms of marketing, branding, publicity, in building an empire. This is just riding off the coat tails and destroying what could have been a major moment on someone like Paltrow, Emily Blunt (if she was willing to take a risk), or even Angie. My apologies for the rampage, just hit me the wrong way seeing this posted.

• Fashion Critic April 27, 2012 at 10:25 #

Don’t worry… :)

4. Gabriela April 27, 2012 at 09:59 #

I think she looks great, but I understand your point. I think, however, that the dress looks more streamlined and structured in the model for the tsimple reason that the model has a very straight figure.
    If you are curvaceous, you seem shorter. The thinner you are, the taller you appear.

The only thing I don’t like is the horrible make-up… She looks sick.

5. gurlygurk April 27, 2012 at 10:00 #

I totally agree with you FC. This is not an easy look to wear and it’s not for Solange. On the runway it is sleek and interesting here it does nothing to flatter. This silhoutte is all wrong for her stature.

6. serapart April 27, 2012 at 10:17 #

wtf is up with her makeup? or the lack of it …

7. TeaAtTwo April 27, 2012 at 10:27 #

Her tiredness is what is putting me off the most.

8. Bec April 27, 2012 at 10:34 #

Why would you wear a couture gown but not makeup? bizarre.

9. TL April 27, 2012 at 10:42 #

Wanna say the same thing…
    Is that an iphone sticking on the gown?

10. CreoleLady April 27, 2012 at 10:47 #

Lacks the height?! IMDb says she’s 5’8″. There may be issues with the dress but if she is 5’8″, I disagree that it is the height. I have more of a problem with the hairstyle, hem and the metal waist detail. The fit is fabulous..

• Jones19 April 27, 2012 at 12:32 #

Really? She looks a lot shorter than that but photography can be tricky.

• bee7 April 27, 2012 at 13:48 #

even though she is 5’8 (average height IMO), no offense but its her size that makes her look short in this dress.

• Ashley April 29, 2012 at 18:57 #

Average height isn’t an opinion. lmao. It’s a fact that the average height of a woman is around 5″4.

11. Fiona April 27, 2012 at 11:20 #

She needs some eyeline & lipstick and a couple of inches in height. I miss her big hair too – that could have balanced the dress out about perhaps?

12. Lalitha April 27, 2012 at 11:49 #

This is not working on her.

13. katie April 27, 2012 at 12:34 #

Mm this dress is gorg, she doesnt have the height to wear it to its full potential as you said FC, im not loving the hair and make up either

14. Elisa April 27, 2012 at 13:16 #

At first I thought that the goldplate was an iphone! LOL

• Carolina Roq April 27, 2012 at 15:19 #

Yes! I though the same!

15. Joy April 27, 2012 at 14:53 #

I too thought it was an Iphone. This is just all around horrible. I’ve gotta get off this page quick, it’s hurting my eyes!

16. Daly from kuwait April 27, 2012 at 16:39 #

Dear FC:
    I wrote an e-mail to you before telling you how much I admire your effort which is highly appreciated, but this is my first time ever to write a comment EVER and I mean ever literally as I never commented to any thing I’m a silent reader
    But this time I decide to write because your complain is her height!!!!
    Yes I hateeeeeeee how much she’s trying tooooo hard which sometimes can pay off but this time it is not but not every girl/women is a model or blessed with your height I’m short (no seriously I’m too short) but I love love to go big or stay home look at Christina Ricci she’s a real life example that you don’t have to be tall to look glamerous to be honest I prefer gowns on short ladies and short dresses on tall ones as I like the look of long lean legs bare rather than short legs (sorry Britney)
    Yes she looked bad on that gown and her pale make up didnt help either but please don’t refer to the height I’m crying from inside I wish if I’m Gisele or rose-whitely but I’m not but still I can do fashion
    Sorry for long comment but I wanted to take this burden off my chest so bad

• Fashion Critic April 27, 2012 at 17:14 #

I’m glad this post able you to make your first comment ;)

Please comment more often x

17. Rebecca Z April 27, 2012 at 16:44 #

Yes, this is a sad fail. She is totally swamped by this dress and wears it with absolutely NO conviction. It’s a shame, because when she does what she usually does she usually looks great! She needs color and not something that focuses all attention on her hips.

18. Pèrè Lenière April 27, 2012 at 18:15 #

I would love to hear joan rivers’ humour on this

19. LizLemooooon April 27, 2012 at 19:00 #

Gorgeous! I can’t believe all the hate for this look. Yes it would have looked good on someone taller too but I think she’s working it as best as she can.
    The real problem is the make up and hair, she should have gone for big hair and neutralish make up.

20. Simon April 27, 2012 at 20:22 #

i think just red lips would’ve change everything !

21. christine April 27, 2012 at 20:30 #

this is the first time I’ve really seen how much she look like beyonce. that said, the dress really shows off her figure i’m just not sure about the shiny detail in the front, it looks like some kind of iPhone holster haha.

22. fashiongames April 27, 2012 at 20:36 #

All i know abt this girl is that she is beyonce sister, which is why i don’t understand why she attend more red carpet event than her Sister the celebrity. Atleast the kadanshians are known for something. Gorgous dress for the wrong girl.

• Simon April 27, 2012 at 23:18 #

Solange is a singer, she had 2 albums, and now she is DJ for some big fashion nights, and she is a fashionista, Kardashians aren’t. I think her being on redcarpet is more appropiate than the Kardashians.

23. lola April 27, 2012 at 23:11 #

I prefer solange to attend more events than beyonce. This is the worst she has looked all year and you cant blame it all on her. that hideous cell phone cover plastered to the front of her dress is what ruins the look, even over the awful hair and makeup. I hope that she gets back to her best soon because she is SO much more interesting (fashion wise)than beyonce.soooo much more!

24. Teleholic April 27, 2012 at 23:17 #

Her height certainly didn’t help but Christina Ricci would easily pull this off. I think it’s more about her attitude and the way she carried herself here that hurt her. This is a diva gown, she needed to project that to sell it.

25. lola April 27, 2012 at 23:19 #

oh, one more thing, what is up with this designer and the obnoxious usuage of embellishments that are always the focus of her gowns. I know you guys remember cheryl cole’s gown that featured the huge gold balls dangling from the front.http://www.redcarpet-fashionawards.com/2011/05/13/cheryl-cole-in-stephane-rolland-couture-2011-cannes-film-festival-habemus-papam-premiere/

26. J April 28, 2012 at 05:29 #

Ugh. Why do I keep seeing this girl on here. I don’t get her.

27. Jess2 April 28, 2012 at 12:44 #

The fit of the bodice on Solange is great and I love the sculptured detail on the hip but I do think it needs to be sortened quite a bit. I also agree with many others that have likened the detail to an iphone, I don’t like it. Not crazy about the hair and makeup though, I think a bold lip would have worked really well here.

28. MEME April 29, 2012 at 10:53 #

It’s the hair and the makeup that is taking away from the look…. but this is one of her best looks to me….