Dakota Fanning attended the 6th Annual DKMS Linked Against Blood Cancer Gala at Cipriani Wall Street in New York City last night.

The young actress made an attempt – that’s all we can ask – of giving us a new hairstyle whilst wearing an Elie Saab Fall 2011 Couture gown.

Her ivory and Swarovski embroidered gown with a sheer yoke looks familiar, no?

That’s because Diane Kruger wore a modified version of this gown during Venice Film Festival last year.

It was stunning on Diane, but yet another gown in the nude/blush/ivory/beige/neutral family from Dakota Fanning.

Sorry, but I’m so over her sticking to this colour palette, even if the gown is Elie Saab. Doesn’t she realise that these neutral colours wash her out?

With regards to the hair, can we really call this a new hairstyle, considering all she did was pin one side of her hair?

*Sighs*

A gold Jimmy Choo ‘Cameo’ clutch completed her look.

Credit: Style.com & Getty

Cameron Diaz In Rachel Roy - 2012 Pioneer Of The Year Dinner Honoring DreamWorks

Cameron Diaz In Rachel Roy – 2012 Pioneer Of The Year Dinner Honoring DreamWorks

Kristen Stewart In Cushnie et Ochs - CinemaCon 2012

Kristen Stewart In Cushnie et Ochs – CinemaCon 2012

37 Responses to Dakota Fanning In Elie Saab Couture – 6th Annual DKMS Linked Against Blood Cancer Gala

1. chyc April 27, 2012 at 10:48 #

The model looks stunning but Dakota looks blah in this beautiful dress. Meh.

• Ramsay April 27, 2012 at 11:49 #

Totally agree – even Diane who looked far better than Dakota in this dress paled in comparison to runway photos

• dee April 27, 2012 at 13:58 #

ITA.

2. TL April 27, 2012 at 10:49 #

Can’t agree with you more, FC, poor Dakota, for picking yet another wrong color…change a stylist!

This is the first time I feel that Elie Saab’s powerful “amazing” magic won’t work.

3. Emma April 27, 2012 at 10:51 #

Don’t care that it’s Elie Saab (which I love) Dakota makes it look so dull and lifeless. And that hair!

Diane’s version and way to carry it beats this lifeless attempt by far.

4. Ange April 27, 2012 at 10:53 #

She looks ghostly.
    I think it’s time to change stylists or employ one cos it’s not working for her.

5. Nat April 27, 2012 at 11:05 #

How to waste a gorgeous gown, by Dakota Fanning.
    I mean, the dress is so beautiful, she’s very pretty…but this is not working at all.

My favourite version of this gown is still the outstanding runway look (I wasn’t too keen of Diane’s modifications to the dress).

6. Fiona April 27, 2012 at 11:18 #

How does she keep getting given access to couture Elie Saab gowns when she sucks the life out of them and wears them with boring hair and styling? I know she is young but she could look a lot more polished, she is not doing him any favours.

7. Zineb April 27, 2012 at 11:20 #

Whilst I love the dress, I think that a simple chignon and a red lipstick would’ve shaken things up.I also believe that going make up free doesn’t match with an Elie Saab dress.

8. bm April 27, 2012 at 11:30 #

She looks like a girl who wore her mother’s dress.

9. Emmeline April 27, 2012 at 11:41 #

This is so depressing. That dress is absolutely gorgeous, and Dakota goes and pairs it with hair and makeup that make it look like she just got back from running errands on a hot summer day.

If there was a way to nominate someone for worst dressed of the week, for me it would be her.

10. T from Sydney April 27, 2012 at 12:04 #

oh lord i never thought i would say this but this ES looks horrible!!!

there is no life in this dress.

11. Oli April 27, 2012 at 12:10 #

Horrible!!

12. Angela R. April 27, 2012 at 12:17 #

Maybe she just wanted to look for once as a little girl, coming out from a fairy tale, a bit lost and innocent. I see her face and the dress and I get that feeling. I think she is cute and please do not be so hard with the critics, finally she is still an adolescent trying to find out her own style…

13. Jones19 April 27, 2012 at 12:26 #

No no no she needs a new stylist asap!

14. EmmaWoodhouse April 27, 2012 at 12:38 #

I LOVED this dress on the runway and on Diane; it was actually one of my favorite from this collection. A sad comedown here. Whilst I appreciate the effort from Dakota, the dress washes her out completely and is too mature for her. The “new” hairstyle would be very pretty if it weren’t so similar to what she always does. She needs to wear some color and updo!

15. Alina April 27, 2012 at 13:04 #

WHY? She ruined this beautiful dress.

16. robbie April 27, 2012 at 13:39 #

i truly dont get the appeal with dakota. most of the time she looks like a girl playing dress up.

17. Jess2 April 27, 2012 at 13:42 #

It is such a lovely dress but as has been mentioned she is so washed out. Terrible hair and as much as I like Dakota, she doesn’t have the presence and stature to pull off this dress.

18. roxy April 27, 2012 at 13:49 #

Maybe she does her own hair and makeup and that’s why it’s always the same.

19. Annel April 27, 2012 at 14:24 #

The hair and choice of colour is hidious. She’s a bit overrated stylewise, I think.

20. Riley April 27, 2012 at 14:56 #

*Flicks fingernail at Dakota’s face on her computer screen and growls*

21. Rahel April 27, 2012 at 15:28 #

Dakota is such a pretty girl. I don’t get why she always wears the same dress style which doesn’t even look good on her.

22. Hannah April 27, 2012 at 16:03 #

Sorry but I dislike her style, if you cna even call ti that. I remember the one Elie Saab dress a whie ago, and since then only things that i didn’t like or thing si jsut cant remember. It’s always the same. A bland colour, shlumpy posture, bored face, no makeup, limp hair. She is almost as bad red carpet wise, as Kristen Stewart in my books,which is very very bad, so I hope she picks up quickly. I still have hope for her.

23. arwa April 27, 2012 at 16:55 #

Don’t blame her stylist. It’s Dakota’s fault. there are pictures of her from the event she even removed that pin. She reminds me of myself when I was about 10, my mother used to style my hair, and when we arrive to what ever where we’re going to I toke a hairband and I do a very messy ponytail. I was an embarrassment (to my mother of course) and I think her stylist feel the same about her :).

• Fashion Critic April 27, 2012 at 17:13 #

OMG that really made me LOL

24. Yeliz April 27, 2012 at 17:43 #

Even I, as a die-hard Elie Saab gowns admirer, can say that this can’t be Elie Saab. Dakota just took another dress and sew all the embellishments on it because there is no way I can believe that this is Elie Saab. I am so angry at her for ruining this dress.
    As for her hair, for me there is nothing really nothing different.

• Riley April 27, 2012 at 19:22 #

I agree. Elie Saab looks good on anyone. Elie Saab could make my Alsatian look like royalty. How dare she do whatever she did to such an amazing gown. The fashion gods are not pleased Dakota.

25. Emma April 27, 2012 at 18:43 #

Elie Saab is my favourite designer and I (normally) always get excited to see celebrities wearing his gowns, but I find it hard to get excited about this. She breathes absolutely no life into it and the look as a whole falls very flat.

26. Vidhya April 27, 2012 at 19:43 #

She looks so washed out and greasy. And even if she is a natural blond, that shade of hair washes her out. No eye makeup, blah lipcolour. Might as well have left the Elie Saab at home. Waste of a gorgeous dress. You are in hollywood, girl! Step it up. Dressing up (in a good way) is not tacky and pass on the msg to ur sister and julia roberts and jen aniston if u can.

27. Dhppy April 27, 2012 at 22:35 #

She looked wonderful last month in that vintage cream colored Halston dress. So it is possible for her to carry the color off, but in this case, no. She looks so sad here. I would never have guessed that this is the same dress that Diane Kruger looked like a goddess in last year.

28. Aline April 27, 2012 at 23:34 #

God, she ruined this gorgeous dress. It should be illegal.

29. Lou April 28, 2012 at 00:01 #

Not a great look for dakota for all the reasons above… and this dress makes her look more busty than usual too, I think?

30. effieee April 28, 2012 at 04:11 #

I don’t think Dakota has the height or the stature to pull off such a gown. The fit just generally looks awkward. Particularly the bustier.

I think Dakota should steer away from gowns and stick to cocktail dresses.

31. katrina April 28, 2012 at 05:42 #

Oh lord, if I will have a chance to create a “fashion constitution”; let it be known to every celebrities that will wear ES:
    ‘That whosoever will wear any creations of Elie Saab, whether a couture creation or a ready-to-wear, and has failed to deliver “elie saab magic” to it; will forever be condemned to stay away to any Elie Saab creations and will never have another oppurtunity to wear another one”

• Fashion Critic April 28, 2012 at 10:18 #

Lol…that is so funny

32. Niki April 30, 2012 at 10:36 #

Never has an up-do and make-up been needed more. Such a lovely dress, such a pretty girl and yet it all adds up to… blah. She actually looks a bit ill, poor thing.