Rihanna In Stella McCartney – Time 100 Gala Performance

Rihanna was one of the performers at the Time 100 Gala held at the Lincoln Center in New York City last night.

The singer continued her love affair with Stella McCartney by wearing a look from the British designer’s Pre-Fall 2012 collection.

Her jacquard ensemble – featuring a gold strapless top accented with a red-and-black top paired with silver pants and the same Louboutins from the red carpet – doesn’t work for me.

Not the style, the mixing of metals and most definitely not the bow.

If the model couldn’t pull it off, Rihanna should’ve taken this as a sign that the chances of her pulling it off were slim to none.

Rihanna, it just wasn’t your night.

Credit: WWD & Getty

Cheryl Cole In Current/Elliott, Alexander Wang & Boy. by Band of Outsiders - BBC Radio One Studios

Cheryl Cole In Current/Elliott, Alexander Wang & Boy. by Band of Outsiders – BBC Radio One Studios

Kate Bosworth In Mulberry & Current/Elliott - Jack n Jill’s Restaurant

Kate Bosworth In Mulberry & Current/Elliott – Jack n Jill’s Restaurant

30 Responses to Rihanna In Stella McCartney – Time 100 Gala Performance

1. Nat April 25, 2012 at 16:45 #

Oh look, that’s Rihanna dressed up as a very shiny Christmas present!

• Alina April 25, 2012 at 16:59 #

LOL. You’re right.

• Tiffany Nicole April 26, 2012 at 18:02 #

spot-on. If it had been a holiday special performance it would be perfect.

2. CTgirl April 25, 2012 at 16:47 #

No. Just. No.

3. Eimear April 25, 2012 at 17:04 #

The irony is that if this was shown on Project Runway or any show like that, it would be ripped to shreds….

• MEME April 26, 2012 at 00:18 #

+1 This comment is so funny and true at the same time…. I can imagine Michael Kors bein’ all so confused by this catastrophe….

4. DivaDebbi (Beauty and Fashion Blog) April 25, 2012 at 17:08 #

Agree FC, but the scary part is, she has actually worn WORSE.

5. robbie April 25, 2012 at 17:18 #

i honestly dont get how stella mccartney got to where she is, if it wasnt for her last name she wouldnt be so popular, 95% of her designs are tragic.

• Riley April 25, 2012 at 20:35 #

I agree with DivaDebbi, Robbie and Elmear. Stella really does design many horrid things. Whilst she is a successful designer in her own right and has produced beautiful things, many of her designs are awful.

Rihanna definitely has worn worse looks, as she is just barely less attention needy than the Kardashians.

The shaved head thing must go. It NEVER looks good. It NEVER looks classy.

• Hannah April 25, 2012 at 23:01 #

ITA. Stella is a esigner in her own right, but IMO her collections are getting worse, and so now I find it difficult to see how people choose to wear her clothes other than, essentially, nepotism. Also, shaved heads are just never a good idea, they are going to be like a perm, a few years from nwo we will look back and ask why?

• MEME April 26, 2012 at 00:19 #

HELLO…. Blind worship for The Beetles…. lol… I think Stella is extremely overrated as a designer… and she wouldn’t have gotten to where she is if Paul McCartney wasn’t her dad… she has very few hits in her collections…

6. heather April 25, 2012 at 17:31 #

Wat up wit Stella these days? Yuk

• 麗林 April 25, 2012 at 17:57 #

Exactly my thinking. I don’t understand why Rihanna doesn’t spice up a little by wearing different designers. She used to experiment much more before ( I felt). Now in less than one month? She wore Stella 4 times and the only time it looked ok was the jumpsuit.

7. Hannah April 25, 2012 at 18:01 #

I think that this outfit is just ugly. The fit is off and there are no redeeming qualities for any of it, especially the top.

8. Christine April 25, 2012 at 18:45 #

I agree with the comments above about the outfit being very ugly. However, I think she does look much better in it than the model does.

9. Christine April 25, 2012 at 19:33 #

Not a good night for Rihanna style wise. I wonder who her stylist is at the moment.

• Dominque April 27, 2012 at 02:18 #

Mel Ottenberg and Adam Selman

• Fashion Critic April 27, 2012 at 07:45 #

Now it all makes sense. She’s switched stylists

• Dominique April 27, 2012 at 17:43 #

Yeah, they’ve been her stylists for almost a year now.

• CreoleLady April 28, 2012 at 11:25 #

Almost a year – bingo. I have been clinging to images of her Italian vacation, the last time I enjoyed a run of pics of RiRi, when she was consistently on point. Been almost a year. She’s very much hit or miss and miss and miss these days.

10. Felicia April 25, 2012 at 19:50 #

Regardless of her “love affair” with SM, she should’ve known better. You don’t have to be a professional to see that this is an ugly outfit!

11. dressaddict April 25, 2012 at 21:12 #

I don’t know why, but this outfit reminds me of the Marni collection for H&M. Actually, the Marni is better.

• bm April 26, 2012 at 00:13 #

Oh yeah, they have the same print, don’t they?
      But, i think this look need a perfect person to pull off, Rihanna is not one of them.

12. Amy April 25, 2012 at 22:06 #

I actually like the outfit(sorry guys). However the top looks like it’s slipping.

• lola April 26, 2012 at 00:48 #

I kind of like the outfit too. at least she no longer looks like she’s in desperate need of a shower.

13. EmmaWoodhouse April 26, 2012 at 00:07 #

@ Felecia “You don’t have to be a professional to see that this is an ugly outfit!” I totally agree–why can’t celebrities just get that what they’re wearing is ugly/unflattering/tacky? It’s not brain surgery, lol!
    This eyesore just guaranteed Rihanna another spot on my worst-dressed list…

14. Lala/S-R April 26, 2012 at 03:57 #

Rihanna doesn’t look as attractive as she used anymore. So tasteless and classless 99% of the time. This is subdued for her AND does nothing for her. Stella is so falling from grace.
    FC, did you happen to see Tyra’s outfit from the event? Very similar dress to Rihanna’s. HOWEVER, she looked lovely.

• Fashion Critic April 26, 2012 at 07:11 #

Yes, also by Marchesa

15. Jess2 April 26, 2012 at 04:11 #

Well my first reaction was omg she is wearing clothes, the second was – yeah I really don’t like that outfit, it is just ugly.
    I actually really liked most of Stella’s evening collection but other than that I don’t like her designs.

16. Jones19 April 26, 2012 at 12:12 #

Stella McCartney designs are very hit and miss…this is a huge miss. She looks like a Christmas present.