Yes it’s still raining in London, but that didn’t stop hoards of people turning up at the ‘African Cats’ London premiere to see the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge.

Catherine looked beautiful wearing a Matthew Williamson Pre-Fall 2012 dress.

Her grey dress with a peplum waist was accented with turquoise, yellow and gold jewels embellishing the collar and sleeves.

Forest green, probably LK Bennett, pumps, a matching clutch and those enviable glossy tresses completed her look.

I prefer Catherine’s version over the model’s.

Credit: Getty

Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge In Alexander McQueen - Queen Elizabeth II's Official Birthday

Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge In Alexander McQueen – Queen Elizabeth II’s Official Birthday

Nerea Garmendia In Marni - 'The Pelayos' Madrid Premiere

Nerea Garmendia In Marni – ‘The Pelayos’ Madrid Premiere

53 Responses to Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge In Matthew Williamson – ‘African Cats’ London Premiere

1. Christine April 25, 2012 at 19:29 #

Great to see color in her wardrobe :)

2. Nat39 April 25, 2012 at 19:32 #

Glad she’s taking advantage of the peplum trend, it really works for her figure, gives her a better contrast between the waist and the heeps. Also prefer her simple black accessories that allow to keep focus on the embellished detailing on the dress, would’ve preferred her hair pulled back to showcase the embellished neckline better but I don’t really mind it loose, it looks pretty.

• Nat39 April 25, 2012 at 19:43 #

*hips

• Rebecca Z April 25, 2012 at 20:26 #

Yes–no heeps of hips on this woman! I agree with all your points, she looks spectacular!

• Beta April 26, 2012 at 09:13 #

I was thinking exactly the same thing. Peplums are a tricky trend IMO but they are totally flattering to Kate’s slim figure. She looks fantastic :)
      Love the neckline :)

• Jones19 April 26, 2012 at 12:03 #

The peplum thing works perfectly for her since she has broad shoulders. Love the turquoise accents.

3. gabis April 25, 2012 at 19:37 #

I prefer Catherine’s version as well. However, her black pumps and clutch are killing me to my very core. Get rid of them and you’ve got an almost BDOTW contender look to me.

• dani April 26, 2012 at 00:05 #

The pumps look dark green? I’m not sure. If the clutch and pumps were both jewel-tone green, this look would have been even greater!

• Jones19 April 26, 2012 at 12:04 #

The shoes are forest green. It’s in the text above.

• Fashion Critic April 26, 2012 at 12:22 #

I originally said they were black. On closer inspection and notes from readers I changed the text to forest green

• mayfrayn April 26, 2012 at 22:25 #

The words “forest green” in the text above were added in a second moment, just saying. Originally the text of the post was abou black shoes and clutch.

• noo April 26, 2012 at 17:07 #

i don’t hate the color of the pumps and clutch. simply because their style is a much bigger problem than their color, too clunky! and i wish that she didn’t wear a clutch at all so that the front of the dress can shine!

4. Marvel April 25, 2012 at 19:37 #

If I was her stylist I would have picked turquoise peep toes, a gold clutch and wore her in an updo.
    But as usual Kate just sticks to the same type of dresses, which I dont mind, its just that the accessaries could be sooo much better

5. michelle April 25, 2012 at 19:39 #

Normally I find her style really boring but I really love this. It definitely has kind of a royal quality.

6. Vidhya April 25, 2012 at 19:39 #

THats a great dress. I’m glad that she is taking tiny fashion risk steps. Ofcourse the accessories still put me to sleep but there seems to be hope.

7. Yeliz April 25, 2012 at 19:44 #

I love Catherine’s version of this beautiful dress so much that I can overlook those boring black pumps that she wears every single time.

8. Badaboum April 25, 2012 at 19:49 #

I wonder who chose the model or this picture to model the dress: she looks miserable and unhappy to wear the dress.
    Catherine looks really lovely, I would have prefer the models’ clutch but she looks very nice nonetheless.

9. Charmella April 25, 2012 at 19:50 #

Absolutely perfect!…though I would liked to have seen a shoe in a different color.

10. McKenzie April 25, 2012 at 19:52 #

I really love that they added the jewels to the collar. I think the dress needed that!

11. Zineb April 25, 2012 at 19:56 #

She looks pretty but can’t she afford other shoes?

• bm April 26, 2012 at 00:28 #

+1, that pumps really annoy me.

12. Karis April 25, 2012 at 20:02 #

Love, love, love the dress but the shoes and bag are killing me :(
    That being said, she does look gorgeous as usual.

By the way, F.C. did you hear the news that Diane Kruger is going to be on the Cannes jury? I am already predicting BDOTY moments!

• Fashion Critic April 25, 2012 at 20:24 #

yes and I am DYING…12 days of pure heaven.

• EmmaWoodhouse April 26, 2012 at 01:52 #

Now I’m dying too…:D Oh my gosh, Cannes is my FAVORITE red carpet event of the year–followed by the Met Gala and the Oscars :D

13. Hannah April 25, 2012 at 20:06 #

I like the dress and I agree about the neckline, but I wish that she had not worn such dull accessories. One would think that she has somethign other than pumps. Also, it’s probably the silhouette & the hair & accessories, but all of her looks are just a bit too similar for my taste.

• Fashion Critic April 25, 2012 at 20:23 #

I’m used the the dull accessories, so I pretty much ignore them now.

• Hannah April 25, 2012 at 22:56 #

That’s so impressive, I am a big bag & mostly shoes person, so nothing (except rain, hail, and impending exams – all of which have come at once, yay!) makes me more upset that a sad looking shoe or bag.

14. fromchi-town April 25, 2012 at 20:10 #

I usually find her boring – but I really like this. If only she had worn non-black shoes and clutch.

15. Riley April 25, 2012 at 20:30 #

Catherine and her stylist don’t care about accessories. They don’t possess even a trace of Polermo and Knowles spirit. Catherine could have chosen colorful accessories and awesome shoes, but as usual she was SNOOZEVILLE. Like FC, I have given up on her ever going outside of her comfort zone and actually trying to be all around fashionable.
    Catherine would be so much more stylish if she always considered, ‘What would Samantha Cameron do?’

• Molly April 25, 2012 at 22:55 #

Kate doesnt have a stylist so this is all her. Its interesting too considering how she supposedly used to work as an accessories buyer for Jigsaw.

16. Nat April 25, 2012 at 20:41 #

I think I would have LOVED this, had she worn at least one more colorfull accessory.
    Not both the shoes and the clutch maybe (I know we can’t ask that much) but at least one of those? Like, an aqua or green clutch like the model’s…

The dress is lovely, though.

17. CTgirl April 25, 2012 at 20:55 #

That color is deadly on the Duchess. A different color and I would really like this look.

18. firien April 25, 2012 at 21:05 #

Omg that model’s expression will cause me nightmares. She looks like a pissed off Mr Bean.

Catherine looks beautiful though.

19. Bec April 25, 2012 at 22:43 #

Love the dress!! If she had worn turquoise sandals i probably would have died.

20. Molly April 25, 2012 at 22:52 #

Why the black accessories? Does she not see how much her boring choices bring down the overall look? Its all about the details, darling. I still cant see how people find her stylish. If this is how a ‘style icon’dresses, than call be Audrey Hepburn!

• Jones19 April 26, 2012 at 12:05 #

She’s wearing forest green pumps, not black.

21. moja31 April 25, 2012 at 23:47 #

this look is too old for her, and terrible accessories as usual.

22. EmmaWoodhouse April 26, 2012 at 00:22 #

Yes, the black accessories are slightly safe, but they allow the focus to be on the dress. The dress is amazing on her–love it and her. I would have preferred turquoise accessories, but this is still a BDOTW contender for me! She looks elegant as always.

• EmmaWoodhouse April 26, 2012 at 13:38 #

Just realized the the pumps are forest green…that improves it, imo!

23. manel April 26, 2012 at 01:16 #

The shoes and bag are dark grey by Emmy shoes.Me too I don’t like them with the dress. her grey Rupert Sanderson shoes and her leopard minaudiere DVF would be more suitable.

24. Jess2 April 26, 2012 at 01:17 #

Gorgeous ensemble and I much prefer it with the embellished neckline also! Not loving the black shoes but she is gorgeous and I can overlook it :)

25. Elaine2 April 26, 2012 at 01:32 #

Another gray dress……..yawn.

The hair……….yawn.

The makeup looks slightly better, not so “racoonish”.

The shoes and bag are all wrong. She should have gone for metallics.

Overall, I’d give it two thumbs DOWN. For someone of her status, she should be able to do better, I would think.

26. Lol April 26, 2012 at 02:34 #

I agree with everyone who’s saying the shape works well for her, and she looks beautiful (as usual), plus it’s just heart-warming to see her embrace colour.

My only gripe is the black accessories. If I’d worn this dress I would have chosen bright yellow Nicholas Kirkwoods, but obviously Kate has never worn a crazy shoe and probably never will. The black are too boring for such a gorgeous dress; she should have either gone for nude (like the model) or matching grey shoes – we know she has plenty of those!

Otherwise, yet again – go Kate!!

27. Sienna April 26, 2012 at 02:39 #

She is beautiful and the look in flawless and perfectly appropriate for her as a duchess. But if she wanted to amp it up a little then I would suggest:
    1) Turquoise shoes
    2) A gold clutch

28. bee7 April 26, 2012 at 05:12 #

the dress is lovely but extremely boring on her.

29. roxana April 26, 2012 at 06:58 #

gorgeus as always!

30. Rachael April 26, 2012 at 08:24 #

FC I’ve seen a few other pics of her from this event and it looks like both the clutch and shoes are very dark grey and not black?

A much better choice IMO.

31. mayfrayn April 26, 2012 at 08:44 #

The shoes look dark green if you see them in HQ pics. Beautiful outfit IMO

32. robbie April 26, 2012 at 09:23 #

her hair should have been up so she could show off the neckline a little more. she looks beautiful though.

33. d April 26, 2012 at 10:08 #

i really like this one..

34. Jones19 April 26, 2012 at 12:06 #

I LOVE this dress on her and the fact that she chose green accessories and not black speaks volumes. BDOTW for me.

35. Juliana April 26, 2012 at 13:07 #

I think she’s playing too safe! If we would see her other dresses, it’s almost the same thing only changes the colors! The reason why Diana was a fashionista is because she was always playing and having fun, of course was the 80′s (and she isn’t Diana) but still we see colors and different shapes. It’s good have “fashion mistakes” is a part of discovering fashion.

36. Lee Ann April 28, 2012 at 21:51 #

The shoes and her makeup kill this look completely.She is starting to really piss me off because she has absolutely no clue. she is given /picks a pretty good dress and as always sucks the life out of it.