Elizabeth Olsen In Valentino – 2012 Grand Chefs Dinner

Elizabeth Olsen made a long-awaited return to the red carpet at the 2012 Grand Chefs Dinner at Gotham Hall in New York City yesterday evening.

She made a big impact wearing a Valentino Fall 2012 gown.

This long-sleeve silk-chiffon gown is stunning, but that black bag from The Row is burning my eyes.

I get that she wants to rep her sisters’ brand on the red carpet, but may I suggest they start carrying one of their smaller clutches.

I mean what an eyesore against those beautiful tiered ruffles.

This look would’ve benefited from an updo too.

Credit: Style.com & Getty

Elizabeth Olsen In Chloé - The Today Show

Elizabeth Olsen In Chloé – The Today Show

Naomi Watts In Stella McCartney - Tribeca Ball 2012

Naomi Watts In Stella McCartney – Tribeca Ball 2012

18 Responses to Elizabeth Olsen In Valentino – 2012 Grand Chefs Dinner

1. Shaina April 17, 2012 at 13:12 #

I agree with you FC, updo and no bag would have been a much better look. What a shame.

• Riley April 17, 2012 at 14:54 #

You said it perfectly Shaina. I thought she was carrying molded tar.

2. A. April 17, 2012 at 13:17 #

Isn’t red a bit overpowering here? I like the model’s black version more.

• Nat April 17, 2012 at 13:46 #

+ 1.
      I prefer the black version, which is almost incredibile for me, as I always prefer colour over black and I have an obsession over “Valentino red” gowns.

That bag with this dress is awful.
      Overall, this is quite a waste of a stunning gown.

3. Mary Jane Anderson April 17, 2012 at 13:49 #

Call me crazy, but I actually think that the bag and the loose hair help her keep a young vibe. She benefits from taking such a laidback approach to this beautiful, yet severe and dramatic gown. I kinda love the fact that she looks like she’s playing dress-up in her mom’s closet!

• Mick April 17, 2012 at 14:33 #

Same here! Apparently we’re the only ones!

4. Alina April 17, 2012 at 14:15 #

Hasn’t she worn something similar?

5. Rebecca Z April 17, 2012 at 15:37 #

Agree with Nat that the gown is much better in black. In black it has mystery–the red is cheapening in this look (did I really say that, blasphemy). Still….

I agree she looks like a young girl dressed up in Mommy’s gown but for me that’s not a good thing. And the little suitcase is a total look killer. There are lots of gowns designed for people at her stage in life, she should pick one–her gown choices are often very aging.

• EmmaWoodhouse April 17, 2012 at 17:39 #

Agree with everything.

6. Nat39 April 17, 2012 at 18:35 #

This is too dowdy and matronly on her and thick-waisted as per usual, drab hair doesn’t help. A very thin dainty belt and a gold minaudiere would’ve been nice.

7. Ritika April 17, 2012 at 19:26 #

I love this look- head to toe. This gown is blowing my mind! The red is so much better than black, and I think she is totally pulling this off, including the clutch and the hair.
    I can imagine this look with another clutch maybe, but an updo would have made her look years older than she is.

8. Yeliz April 17, 2012 at 19:30 #

“…but that black bag from The Row is burning my eyes.” lol, you’re so right FC.
    And I agree on the things Rebecca Z said about Elizabeth’s gown choices. I thought she would be more exciting than her sisters on the red carpet but she hardly wears something age appropriate.

9. Emi April 17, 2012 at 20:49 #

The bag ruins the outfit.

10. Carmen April 17, 2012 at 23:31 #

She’s dressing like her sisters here. She is still adorable though!

11. Parvati April 18, 2012 at 01:13 #

This bag ruins the whole look for me.

12. ladyoflettuce April 18, 2012 at 01:39 #

Can’t understand the Olsen fuss. Frumpy Town. Do they even design their own label? That bag is like 90s opshop except several thousand dollars. There is something so inauthentic about the Olsens.

13. christine April 18, 2012 at 02:46 #

poor thing, it’s like she has no idea what she can and can’t pull of or how to style something so that she can pull it off. It saddens me to see such a beautiful girl and talented actress make such an amazing dress look so frumpy.

14. bm April 18, 2012 at 02:47 #

I’m in for another collaboration from Valentino + Elizabeth, coz i know they would be eye-catching.
    But, what hold me for saying this is great is , like you said FC, is her bags.