16.04.12

The Olivier Awards 2012

The Olivier Awards 2012 took place in London last night at the Royal Opera House to recognise excellence in professional theatre.

We have already seen Best Actress Ruth Wilson. Here are the rest of the attendees.

Kara Tointon: The former Eastenders actress, who was in attendance to present the ‘Best New Dance Production’ award, wore an Alice + Olivia fanned sequin dress inspired by the roaring 20s with a modern silhouette. Her hair was styled into a Marcel wave to perfect the jazz-age look. Nude Christian Louboutin peep-toes and Garrard jewels completed her look.

Hayley Atwell: The British actress opted for a Jexika ‘Siren’ gown. Her strapless nude mermaid gown is beautiful, but it needed more than a silver Jimmy Choo clutch to give it more life and prevent Hayley from looking so washed out. Forevermark jewels and windswept tresses completed her look.

Susannah Fielding: What’s a red carpet event without a stunning red gown? Susannah fulfilled the quota by wearing this amazing strapless frock with a central split which was designed by Suzanne Neville. Her divine red dress was styled with silver jewels and nude accessories and was completed with a sweeping updo.

Scarlett Strallen: The actress provided the drama at this event by gliding down the red carpet wearing a gorgeous black Suzanne Neville gown. Her strapless tulle gown with a full skirt was simply styled with a silver necklace. This look would’ve been perfect, if not for the aging hairstyle once again.

Zoe Wanamaker: The actress stood out on the red carpet wearing a red Rachel Gilbert gown. Her signature sequin gown with structured shoulders was teamed with a matching lip colour and silver jewels.

Jodie Whittaker: The actress was one of many stars to opt for black on this red carpet. She opted for a Temperley London gown with a single embellished strap and gathered details down the centre. The dress is OK, but the hair is terribly aging.

Tamzin Merchant: The actress was joined at the hip on the red carpet with actor Freddie Fox (in Armani), who appears to be doing his best impression of Angelina Jolie at the Oscars. Tamzin also wore Mulberry, selecting a long v-neck tulle floral embroidered dress from the Fall 2012 collection. She accessorized with a Mulberry ‘Lily’ shoulder bag in black with studded details.

Vanessa Kirby: Mulberry wasn’t just taking over Coachella; they were taking over this event too. Vanessa wore a Mulberry Fall 2012 dress with a moonlight tie-dye lace overlay. Black heels and a black suede Mulberry ‘Cleemie’ bag completed her look.

Credit: Getty

Reese Witherspoon's Stella McCartney Eyelet Dress

Reese Witherspoon’s Stella McCartney Eyelet Dress

Angelababy In Elie Saab - 31st Hong Kong Film Awards

Angelababy In Elie Saab – 31st Hong Kong Film Awards

30 Responses to The Olivier Awards 2012

1. V April 16, 2012 at 13:05 #

KARA Toiton is easily BD for me. Unpredictable without being kitschy, fresh, young, polished… I love it. Please include her in the poll!

• Clover April 18, 2012 at 01:25 #

I came here to say the same thing! I don’t know who she is but that look is GORGEOUS. BDOTW please?

2. Alina April 16, 2012 at 13:11 #

Kara Tointon was my best dressed at this event. I love the vibe of her look.

3. Shaina April 16, 2012 at 13:15 #

My favorites are Kara and Susannah. The rest are boring or poorly styled. I want to love Scarlett’s gown but I just don’t. Something is missing.

4. Christine April 16, 2012 at 13:49 #

“Freddie Fox (in Armani), who appears to be doing his best impression of Angelina Jolie at the Oscars”

LOL

• EmmaWoodhouse April 16, 2012 at 19:50 #

I know, I laughed too!

• Dee April 16, 2012 at 23:01 #

LOL…DEAD

5. Mick April 16, 2012 at 13:51 #

My favourites are Kara Tointon and Vanessa Kirby (although being from Italy I have no idea who they are!), but the latter look seems a bit too casual for an award ceremony, I’d wear it for a night out! The other looks leave me cold.

6. Christine April 16, 2012 at 13:57 #

I like scarlett and Kara’s dresses the best.

7. vicky April 16, 2012 at 14:07 #

Zoe, Kara and Susannah are my favourites.

I’m hoping the black-and/or-dull trend will be long gone in a month when it’s time for Cannes.
    Is it just me or are the dark and boring gowns/dresses taking over the red carpet?

(perhaps it’s just the blacklash from “My Valentine” event that’s playing tricks with me…)

8. superlilster April 16, 2012 at 14:12 #

@FC: LOL! Hahahaha Freddie Fox is even doing the pout! Love your posts.

• Fashion Critic April 16, 2012 at 14:51 #

9. robbie April 16, 2012 at 14:16 #

kara looks incredible.

10. Nat April 16, 2012 at 14:44 #

For a split second I though it was Sofia Vergara in the nude mermaid gown. (But then again, what would Sofia Vergara do at an event about British Theatre? LOL).
    I think Hayley Atwell would have looked stunning, had the dress been of a vibrant colour and not nude. Try to picture her in green or blue…it would have been great.

My best dressed here is Kara Tointon, I love the hair and the makeup.
    Speaking of the Roaring 20s…So you watch Downton Abbey, FC? Their costumes are amazing. :-D

• Fashion Critic April 16, 2012 at 15:22 #

It’s on my Tivo…I need to catch up

• Nat April 16, 2012 at 16:09 #

It’s a great show. I watched the two seasons all together and I instantly became a fan.

It seems that the Crawley sisters (expecially Michelle Dockery/Lady Mary, of course) are also getting some attention from the fashion world lately, and I love it. I adore this photo shoot of them, for example: http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lz7n1wUGcL1qz97bf.jpg
        (Michelle is rocking that Marchesa gown).

p.s. Sorry for the OT. ;-)

• Fashion Critic April 16, 2012 at 22:35 #

OOH…that picture has sold me.

11. saya April 16, 2012 at 14:48 #

Kara Tointon takes the cake easily. That dress is absolutely GORGEOUS!

12. bm April 16, 2012 at 14:51 #

My only favorite from this post is Kara Toiton. She’s looking fresh and elegant at the same time. And, Idk what happens to me, but i have a crush on Alice+Olivia dresses recently.

13. Riley April 16, 2012 at 15:26 #

Kara is the only one with personality and pizzaz. She is owning her look.

The others are a bit meh.

14. Beta April 16, 2012 at 15:29 #

very beautiful british ladies. Very well dressed event IMO. My favourite is Kara Tointon’s :)

15. Mol April 16, 2012 at 15:53 #

I don’t know who Kara Tointon is, but I love her outfit and the way she styled it; I liked Vanessa Kirby too, but she seemed a little under dressed compared to the others.

16. Jess2 April 16, 2012 at 16:38 #

Aside from Kara who was super gorgeous, the ladies were not having much luck in the hair department, a very sad state of affairs! It is a shame about the colour of Hayley’s dress as it does wash her out quite a bit. Love Susannah’s dress.

17. Yeliz April 16, 2012 at 17:22 #

1-Kara Tointon
    2-Susannah Fielding
    3-Scarlett Strallen
    4-Zoe Wanamaker
    5-Hayley Atwell
    6-Jodie Whittaker
    7-Vanessa Kirby
    8-Tamzin Merchant

LOL @ Freddie Fox

18. EmmaWoodhouse April 16, 2012 at 20:21 #

Kara Tointon–cool look but just a tad costumey. Not completely sold on the dress.
    Hayley: way too washed out. Can’t get past the terrible color.
    Susannah: red strapless formfitting with split. Feels too deja vu.
    Scarlett: very dramatic dress but the hair ruins it.
    Zoe: would love it without the silly sleeves and with a better updo.
    Jodie: don’t love the dress.
    Tamzin: blah
    Vanessa: interesting, cool look but not appropriate for the event.

19. Dhppy April 16, 2012 at 22:44 #

Tointon’s dress is outstanding! It got a gasp and a hand raise from me on sight.

20. Aline April 16, 2012 at 22:45 #

Hayley should have switched dresses with Susannah. She’d look great in red.

Kara is also my favorite here. This dress is just too cute.

LMAO @ the Freddie Fox comment.

21. Amy April 17, 2012 at 12:37 #

I have no idea who she is but Kara T nailed it!
    I really like her dress

22. Catherine42 April 17, 2012 at 12:49 #

I thought Hayley looked stunning, she wore such a colour pop at the Empire Awards that this was a great contrast, you looked at her instead or the dress, great shape on her figure, she is so gorgeous that she may have as well been naked, this was the next best thing! She doesn’t need anything else!

23. Donna April 17, 2012 at 12:54 #

Best dressed is Hayley Atwell, she was the only one who looked like she is actually famous, very hollywood.