13.04.12

3rd Annual ELLE Women In Music Event

It wasn’t only Oh Land who didn’t quite get it right on the red carpet at ELLE’s 2012 Women In Music Event in LA on Wednesday night: her fellow musicians didn’t quite hit the right style notes either.

Jessie J: The British singer jumps on the ombre bandwagon by dying the tips of her jet black hair blonde, as recently sported by Ciara. She walked the red carpet wearing an animal-print long-sleeve dress with a gold statement necklace and black booties.

Ellie Goulding: The fellow Brit looked like she was dragged through a hedge backwards wearing a black Maison Martin Margiela leather biker jacket paired with a black Cushnie et Ochs cut-out bodysuit and J Brand black leather skinny pants. Gold statement rings and Giancarlo pumps with PVC accents completed her look.

Nicole Scherzinger: The singer showed off her toned legs in a Tony Ward blue embellished dress, which she teamed with uninspiring accessories. No matter what she wears, her look always feels so dated to me.

Melody Thornton: Nicole’s former bandmate was clearly looking for attention in this revealing gold lace dress. She might as well have hit the red carpet naked.

Where’s Florence Welch when you need her?

Credit: Getty

Suki Waterhouse In Burberry Prorsum - Elle Style Awards 2014

Suki Waterhouse In Burberry Prorsum – Elle Style Awards 2014

Nicole Scherzinger In Herve L. Leroux - ‘Men In Black 3’ Berlin Premiere

Nicole Scherzinger In Herve L. Leroux – ‘Men In Black 3’ Berlin Premiere

42 Responses to 3rd Annual ELLE Women In Music Event

1. CreoleLady April 13, 2012 at 13:34 #

The shame of it all is that these are attractive women with enviable figures. Surely there must be a way to be rocker chic instead of shabby and/or wholly inappropriate. Both stylists and clients failed here.

2. TeuntjeVDW April 13, 2012 at 13:59 #

What were they thinking?! I don’t get this!

3. AW April 13, 2012 at 13:59 #

They all look terrible and forgettable.

About Ms. Thornton and her nips in public. It’s been done a million times before. It’s no longer edgy or controversial. Have several seats.

4. Zineb April 13, 2012 at 14:04 #

Melody, What an inappropriate look !

5. Alina April 13, 2012 at 14:06 #

Tragic.

6. Kaz April 13, 2012 at 14:11 #

Oh dear! Melody Thornton: possibly the least classy head-to-toe look I have ever seen. Can we have a WDOTW/Y??

• Lori April 13, 2012 at 14:20 #

This blog is usually about being positive, but Melody’s dress is the worst thing I’ve seen all year so far, and I doubt anyone can top it, so WDOTW/Y is an awesome suggestion.

• manja April 13, 2012 at 14:52 #

+2 on WDOTW/Y,OMG WTF was my 1.reaction

• Artemis April 13, 2012 at 15:55 #

I think that she should share her place for WDOTW/Y with Jada Pinkett Smith at the Kids Choice Awards! lol

• EmmaWoodhouse April 13, 2012 at 21:04 #

+1! I was just thinking, that she is the WDOTY for sure!!!!!!! (Shudders) 120% tackiness! The rest look bad too with Nicole looking a little bit better.

7. dee April 13, 2012 at 14:14 #

For Melody, isn’t that indecent exposure? Not impressed with any of the looks.

8. Ade April 13, 2012 at 14:21 #

Their look is as forgettable as their careers. Oh and nipple display Melody? How edgy, what’s next, pants in public?

9. robbie April 13, 2012 at 14:27 #

all look horrid, but melody wow that is really bad. not to mention the stupid streak in her hair.

• Joy April 14, 2012 at 02:01 #

You actually saw her hair?!

10. D April 13, 2012 at 14:27 #

Where’s Florence Welch when you need her? – Or Jennifer Lopez for that matter. :-D

• Fashion Critic April 13, 2012 at 14:38 #

right :D

11. Lara April 13, 2012 at 14:43 #

Re: Nicole Scherzinger… It’s gonna sound weird but I think she always looks dated because she has a “dated” face… I don’t mean old, or haggard… just somehow her face and the way make-up is applied… is very same-y… It’s not that she looks bad in the clothes she wears, it’s just that somehow the face and the clothes combine to look “off”. She is a beautiful girl though.

• AW April 13, 2012 at 15:03 #

I agree with you, there’s something very early 90′s about her

12. harris April 13, 2012 at 15:19 #

seriously? how is that dress not illegal?

• JJ May 9, 2013 at 00:21 #

This is what I ALWAYS wonder when these disgusting, trashy celebrities literally walk around naked. It is illegal to be naked in public… why do the rules not apply to them??? This is so offensive I can’t even stand it.

13. Saree April 13, 2012 at 15:20 #

Now firstly, I do NOT condone the outfits Lady Gaga for example wears, cause they’re based on seeking attention and well, it’s not like Gaga started out that way, she couldn’t distinguish herself and turned to that to advance her career… BUT it is now KNOWN and EXPECTED for someone like Gaga to wear something ugly or unflattering and pass it off as ‘fashionable’ in her eyes OR someone like Katy or Rihanna doing something wild.

BUT.. Melody… seriously. Although the PCD rocked some HORRIFIC outfits, this is just insane. Very desperate, but for what reason? She really has no career since PCD dismantled. I do not, for the life of me, understand her choice in doing that compared to someone like Gaga (who I am definitely NOT defending).

I hope people understand the point I’m trying to make… but seriously, I cannot fathom the reason WHY she wore that. Doesn’t help when the make-up and hair are awful aswell.

Jessie J takes the prize out of these four.

• Riley April 13, 2012 at 16:16 #

I agree completely with you. Lady Gaga, Rihanna and Katy Perry’s tackyness and shock antics are a constant eyeroll, but Melody shouldn’t have been allow in, for the integrity of the event.

Also, Jessie J looks tacky as always. The only time she hasn’t looked like any other [tacky-they all are nowadays] popstar was her black Dolce & Gabbana gown, Giles gown and the Julien Macdonald gown at the Grammys.

• Liyana April 13, 2012 at 16:40 #

hats off to your comment Saree, it needed to be said.

14. Jones19 April 13, 2012 at 15:36 #

Jessie J is the only one who looks remotely good her. The rest I have no words for because it’s nicer not to say anything at all :)

15. Laura D April 13, 2012 at 16:37 #

Poor Melody…

She had one of those nightmares where you forget to put some of your clothes on and go out in public… only when she woke up it turned out to be real!

16. Giuseppi Giraffe April 13, 2012 at 18:12 #

OH, Melody! She could classed it up a bit with a big marquee sign that says “LOOK AT ME” following her around. Tacky, tacky, tacky.

Well she looks confident anyway- she must have known exposing herself would have created a little buzz.

17. justme April 13, 2012 at 18:40 #

From the Pepé Le Pew hair to the see-through dress to the frosted lips, Melody gets a big fat “no, thank you” from me. This is just embarrassing :(

18. ella April 13, 2012 at 22:44 #

clearly, the best looking from this group is Nicole!
    She is pure class.

19. snowhite April 13, 2012 at 22:48 #

Hooray for Jessie J! Nicole is amazing as always! I just have no words for Melody. She scared my tongue away…!

20. Natalie April 13, 2012 at 23:38 #

Melody, WHAT THE HELL? How trashy, disgusting and atrocious. I’m astounded someone would consider wearing this to an event. Who let her in?

• Hailey May 17, 2012 at 01:57 #

I gasped when I saw this, I can’t believe they would actually let her in,in this. I mean just because you have an invite, if you show up half naked it’s kinda null invoid no?

21. Sharon April 14, 2012 at 02:56 #

Talk about your “Motley Crue”! Not a one of them looks good. Nicole looked the least bad, but she hasn’t been interesting since she was on DWTS wearing dancing costumes.

22. zoe April 14, 2012 at 02:58 #

i feel so disgusted right now. wow. is this what desperation will do to people?

23. lola April 14, 2012 at 03:16 #

Im not going to say anything negative on the boobs showing,You see them on runway shows all the time and it doesnt bother anyone. They are just breasts- every women has them. I would actually like melody’s dress had it been floor length. As for the other three women im not feeling their outfits. They all seem a bit(been there, done that).

24. Tahlia April 14, 2012 at 03:46 #

I’m almost more offended by Melody’s hair and extreme over-use of the bronzer than I am by the dress *Yawn*. Jessie J looks like she’s trying to channel her inner Khloe K-dash.

25. J April 14, 2012 at 04:04 #

Melody whoever you are:
    We do not want to see your boobs regardless of what you might think.

Love,
    Me

26. Jen April 14, 2012 at 04:21 #

I think Jessie J might be the first person I’ve liked the ombre hair on. Helps a lot that it looks so glossy and healthy.

27. pipsqueak April 14, 2012 at 04:31 #

Who’s that Melody?! She looked like a drag queen. I don’t expect much from Nicole or Jessie “Mannequin” J … airheads. But Ellie … c’mon, why did you lower yourself to their level? She looked like a cross between Cindi Lauper and Ashlee Simpson.

28. Lula April 14, 2012 at 18:56 #

i dont have a problem with showing boobs. were all so squeamish about our bodies..we all have them. its sad how people freak out over them..nudity is nothing to be ashamed about. if the dress is cool and it ads to the overall look, whats the problem?

• Artemis April 15, 2012 at 00:06 #

If you don’t see the tackyness and lack of taste of that look there is nothing we can do about and explain..It has nothing to do with the female beauty..

• Artemis April 15, 2012 at 00:07 #

I mean body..

• JJ May 9, 2013 at 00:31 #

Thank you, Artemis. Lula, you are delusional. What happened to having a little modesty and enough respect for your body so that only you and your partner are allowed to see it?

Judging by your passion for everyone being naked and disgusting, should I assume that you practice walking around naked in public? Or do you conform to the social standards and LAWS that most of the rest of us (gladly) follow?