Michelle Obama In Wes Gordon – 2012 Nickelodeon Kids’ Choice Awards

Michelle Obama made a surprise appearance at the 2012 Nickelodeon Kids’ Choice Awards in LA on Saturday afternoon to present singer Taylor Swift with the ‘Big Help’ award.

The First Lady wore a Wes Gordon Spring 2012 tunic with silver metallic Helmut Lang jeans.

Her Wes Gordon ¾ length-sleeved tunic with a silver embellished houndstooth print is slightly modified from the version presented on the model; the plunge isn’t so deep and Mrs O has opted to turn down the collar.

Simple black pumps completed her look.

Credit: Style.com & Getty

Miranda Cosgrove In Porter Grey - 2012 Nickelodeon Kids’ Choice Awards

Miranda Cosgrove In Porter Grey – 2012 Nickelodeon Kids’ Choice Awards

Taylor Swift In Maria Lucia Hohan - 2012 Nickelodeon Kids’ Choice Awards

Taylor Swift In Maria Lucia Hohan – 2012 Nickelodeon Kids’ Choice Awards

51 Responses to Michelle Obama In Wes Gordon – 2012 Nickelodeon Kids’ Choice Awards

1. aControlledSubstance April 1, 2012 at 22:35 #

She looks AWESOME!!

2. Aline April 1, 2012 at 22:35 #

Woah there! She looks super sexy! But still very appropriate xD

3. Giuseppi Giraffe April 1, 2012 at 22:35 #

oh lovely! this is classy, grown up and fun. i’m kinda tickled that the first lady went to the nick kids choice awards

4. CreoleLady April 1, 2012 at 22:48 #

ITA re striking the right balance. The vee neck is tasteful and the embellished jacket skims over potentially problematic areas, adding up to a sleek silhouette with a touch of glam. Modern yet elegant as befits her position. Coolest mom (Malia and Sasha were also there, so darling together) and First Lady EVER.

5. Nat39 April 1, 2012 at 22:50 #

Very well done, it’s perfect, can’t find a single flaw. She is a sexy woman with a slight edge to fit the occasion yet age-appropriately ladylike – a perfect balance indeed. Simple black pumps was a great a choice here, any edgier/sexier footwear would’ve ruined that balance.
    The woman standing next to her should’ve tried to find that balance. She looks comical in that outfit.

6. Emmeline April 1, 2012 at 22:52 #

Michelle looks fantastic! Too bad the same can’t be said for the woman next to her. Eeek!

7. Angela April 1, 2012 at 22:53 #

Oh Michelle, how I love you. This is pretty much perfect. I <3 houndstooth, and the detailing is magnificent! The metallic jeans are sexy yet sophisticated, which perfects this look.

8. Maz April 1, 2012 at 22:59 #

Amazing! Love…totally event appropriate but classy and slightly sexy…

9. ramsay April 1, 2012 at 23:19 #

Yes that’s a perfect look for a first lady showing up at the Kid’s choice awards – Really good – Appropriate in every sense indeed – WELL DONE

10. Lynxy April 1, 2012 at 23:34 #

Now this is how you turn it out at an awards show where you’re quite a bit above the age of most of those in attendance! Classy, sexy, unique, effortless and fashionable.

In contrast- see Jada Pinkett Smith. That’s a good example of how to look like you are trying way too hard to fit in with the young crowd.

11. Dhppy April 1, 2012 at 23:38 #

Whoa! FLOTUS nailed it! She looks so young and stylishly sexy.

12. Riley April 1, 2012 at 23:57 #

I am very happy for Wes Gordon. This is the second time a celebrity officially wore his clothes and the second celebrity is MICHELLE OBAMA. I would be dancing on a table if I was Mr. Gordon. He is the next Jason Wu/Prabal Gurung (before his Resort 2012 collection) I tell you.

13. Christine April 2, 2012 at 00:02 #

BDOTW! She looks amazing!!!

• mm April 2, 2012 at 14:28 #

I agree!I just love this look, it is sexy, she didnt over accessorize, hair is perfection as always. The girls looked too cute also

14. Samantha April 2, 2012 at 00:06 #

I love this look. One of my favorites from the First Lady in a while.

15. Moxie April 2, 2012 at 00:14 #

Flawless! Can a casual look like this be up for BDOTW?

16. SS April 2, 2012 at 01:42 #

Who would have thought that America’s First Lady would be one of the most interestingly dressed, fashion-forward women in the public eye? She is perfection.

17. Ines April 2, 2012 at 01:53 #

18. Rebecca Z April 2, 2012 at 02:06 #

Spectacular. she really nailed it.

19. bm April 2, 2012 at 02:14 #

Oh my god, she is so stylist, and probably the most stylist first lady in entire world. But, like you said, and that is the reason i love her, is that she able to adapt in every red carpet.

20. gurlygurl April 2, 2012 at 02:49 #

It seems innappropriate to say the first lady looks hot but I cannot tell a lie! Always a class act… just stunning!

21. Eliza April 2, 2012 at 03:09 #

Perfect in every way. Love this!

• chryssa April 2, 2012 at 13:10 #

+1 she looks phenomenal!

22. DM April 2, 2012 at 04:14 #

How completely inappropriate for a First Lady to wear no matter WHAT the occasion. How disappointing and disrespectful to those who held the title before her.

• AW April 2, 2012 at 13:55 #

And what, may I ask, is disrespectful about basically a cardigan and jeans?

You obviously don’t have children otherwise you would know that trying to appeal to them about doing community service wearing an old stuffy tweed suit with Calista Gingrich helmet hair would make the message ineffective.

• AW April 2, 2012 at 13:57 #

Furthermore, one of the most important points of public speaking is being audience-centered. That applies to your message as well as your appearance. She looks great and event appropriate.

There isn’t a past FLOTUS outside of Jackie O that can compete with her fashion sense.

• mm April 2, 2012 at 14:31 #

I agree with all you points!

23. bee7 April 2, 2012 at 04:42 #

Yes she nailed it love the metallic jeans she wore!

24. Katharine April 2, 2012 at 05:16 #

Joining in a chorus of approval : this is at once polished and relaxed – love the metallic jeans. My favourite look of the night.

25. adralina April 2, 2012 at 06:01 #

she looks amazing from head to toe! and i love that she looks edgy but elegant at the same time

26. Jess2 April 2, 2012 at 06:31 #

She looks awesome – BDOTW!! Event and age appropriate and flawless!! love love love it. unfortunately the same cannot be said for the lady next to her

27. Vee April 2, 2012 at 06:46 #

she looks so great!

28. Caro April 2, 2012 at 08:12 #

And on top of looking flawless, this look makes her body look great. Very flattering look on Mrs. O.

29. manja April 2, 2012 at 09:01 #

splendid look,love it

30. Alina April 2, 2012 at 09:53 #

Beautiful!

31. Nat April 2, 2012 at 10:30 #

DITTO!
    I love her, she always keeps things interesting.

32. D April 2, 2012 at 12:11 #

great look

33. EmmaWoodhouse April 2, 2012 at 13:58 #

The jacket is cool but the metallic skinny jeans are kind of trying too hard imo. They look a bit tight–but as I said, I like the jacket.

34. Amy April 2, 2012 at 14:30 #

Ms O is working it. She looks great : the perfect balance between classy, original and fun. I think she looks appropriate for a children event

35. Lisa Monk April 2, 2012 at 15:46 #

Love this! would love a more reasonably priced alternative, because I would wear this to the right event!

36. robbie April 2, 2012 at 15:58 #

sadly my eyes were drawn to that woman beside her, true definition of the term mutton dressed as lamb.

michelle looks hot!

37. BwithErza April 2, 2012 at 16:31 #

Coolest First Lady ever.

38. Tiffany Nicole April 2, 2012 at 18:55 #

I am over-the-moon. With Michelle my cup truly runneth over.

39. Jerusa April 3, 2012 at 00:20 #

“I think she found the right balance of looking event appropriate, age appropriate and stylish.” Unlike the lady standing next to her :/ that outfit belongs to a 16yrs old

40. Sharon April 3, 2012 at 01:53 #

I am so proud of this lady. She never ceases to amaze me in her choice of wardrobe, and she nailed it again. Way to go, Michelle!

41. Katie April 3, 2012 at 16:14 #

Wow love her sense of style always

42. jim May 11, 2012 at 13:38 #

our first lady looks like a extra backround dancer in a bad mc hammer video…..very inappropriate for the first lady of the united states of america….

• Jen August 20, 2012 at 22:07 #

I agree, I think she looks ridiculous and trashy in this get-up. However, in defense of all the other posters who think this look is flattering on Mrs. O, this picture looks a lot better than any of the others taken of her at this event. Because of the way she is standing in this particular picture only, she(and the outfit) appear much more streamlined than in other pictures where the bottom half of the tunic gaps too much, revealing jeans that are waaayyy too tight making her hips and legs look very heavy. I think the tunic itself is gorgeous but because it doesn’t fit her correctly and wearing jeans that are too tight, she destroys the look and looks like a hoochie mama.

43. Nora November 1, 2012 at 01:48 #

M. Obama looks absolutely horrible and trashy!!! Wonder how much she spent on that!?

44. PB March 15, 2013 at 08:52 #

Whether Mrs. Obama’s Kids’ Choice Awards outfit makes her look like a “hootchie mama” or a “hottie mama” may be debatable; the fact that it has garnered a great deal of attention, is not. For that reason alone, I find her outfit inappropriate for the occasion. She attended the ceremony(presumably) to present a very deserving award to Ms. Swift for her involvement in bettering the lives of children. She was not there (again presumably) to make some sort of fashion statement about what is [or not] “stylish, classy, age-appropriate” for a mid-30s mother of 2 who is married to our President. I realize and accept that she cannot/should not divorce herself from her First Lady persona; so saying however, there are times when it would be much more “First Lady-ish” i.e. worthy and worthwhile, to dress towards focusing less on herself and more towards the reasons for her presence at an event, in this case to recognize and honor an individual who puts HER money in something besides just her wardrobe!