Charlotte Casiraghi In Chanel Couture – 2012 Monaco Rose Ball

Charlotte Casiraghi attended the 2012 Monaco Rose Ball in Monte Carlo on Saturday night.

The photos from this event weren’t great, but the photographer can’t be blamed for how bad this Chanel Spring 2012 Couture dress looks on Charlotte.

It’s unflattering in every imaginable way as it appears poorly thought out, poorly made and poor constructed.

I didn’t like the dress on the runway, but even with Charlotte’s minor modifications she couldn’t save this look from making her look boxy.

As the party got going, Charlotte removed the top part of the dress which improved the look somewhat, but it is still the worst dress I have seen on the red carpet this year.

And to think women pay hundreds of thousands of pounds/euros/dollars to look this bad.

Credit: Style.com & Getty

Rachel McAdams' Collette Dinnigan Mirabella Lace Cocktail Dress

Rachel McAdams’ Collette Dinnigan Mirabella Lace Cocktail Dress

Agyness Deyn In House of Holland - 2012 Jameson Empire Awards

Agyness Deyn In House of Holland – 2012 Jameson Empire Awards

43 Responses to Charlotte Casiraghi In Chanel Couture – 2012 Monaco Rose Ball

1. Alex March 26, 2012 at 09:37 #

She looks really uncomfortable in this outfit and that ruffle around the skirt unfortunately makes the dress look like a toilet roll holder. A shame because she is a beautiful girl.

• Alina March 26, 2012 at 11:32 #

2. T from Sydney March 26, 2012 at 10:13 #

this is the UGLIEST dress EVER

no one can make it look good.

• noo March 26, 2012 at 11:33 #

this dress sums up my feelings on the whole collection. it is not lovely minimalist chanel that would look chic on a troll. if a princess can’t make it work then you’ve got a problem.

• Fashion Critic March 26, 2012 at 12:15 #

“if a princess can’t make it work then you’ve got a problem” LOL so true

• Polina Pushkina March 26, 2012 at 14:21 #

With you on this one. Why big fashion editors can’t see what we see? It is ugly. Period. Like most of the dresses from this collection, but no, every magazine keeps praising Karl’s work.

• EmmaWoodhouse March 26, 2012 at 21:41 #

I totally agree. Just because a dress is “Chanel” doesn’t make it beautiful or classic or fashionable!

• Tina March 27, 2012 at 01:20 #

Same. Kinda think Karl is a bit overrated.

3. beta March 26, 2012 at 10:32 #

I dont get the hip frills
    and the top curtain … :P

4. abasss March 26, 2012 at 11:30 #

I hate the clothes this girl wears. She always looks 1000 times better when she is riding her horse.

• Molly March 26, 2012 at 13:06 #

Agreed. She seems to try to hard and she always seems so uptight. I expect more from Grace Kelly’s granddaughter.

5. bm March 26, 2012 at 11:41 #

Yeah , me too. Can’t understand why people spent lots of money to be bad. When your friend Binkie post Shop Her Closet for an “ugly dress” with 4 or 5 digits dollars, i was like “whoah” who’s gonna buy this stuff?

6. manja March 26, 2012 at 11:47 #

and this IS Chanel Couture???this is ugly looking dress

• Linda March 26, 2012 at 12:54 #

It’s typical Chanel, which is always very identifiable and unflattering in the past few years, I’ve found.

7. Emi March 26, 2012 at 11:58 #

I totally agree with you, FC. This dress would look awful worn by anybody else. It’s so unflattering, there’s too much going on, the cut, the details… And that “thing” around the hips? I don’t understand why Karl Lagerfeld sometimes designs such unflattering clothes.

• dee March 26, 2012 at 13:28 #

I agree. You have to be model thin to wear his dresses. Most women couldn’t wear this dress.

8. docnirz March 26, 2012 at 12:27 #

thats overrated karl lagerfield for you..

9. CTgirl March 26, 2012 at 12:51 #

This proves beyond a shadow of a doubt that Karl really hates women ;-)

10. Jones19 March 26, 2012 at 13:19 #

What the hell is this thing? This dress wouldn’t work on anybody and it’s a shame that the house of Chanel even let that out on the runway.

11. moja31 March 26, 2012 at 13:50 #

it’s definitely far from the worst thing i’ve seen on the red carpet this year. it’s a difficult dress to pull off, and i’m not really sure that anyone could, other than perhaps diane kruger, but charlotte doesn’t exactly look terrible in it, her modifications are certainly an improvement, i’ll give her that.

• Fashion Critic March 26, 2012 at 13:57 #

I think even Diane would struggle

12. bee7 March 26, 2012 at 14:10 #

i think it looks pretty cool on saskia de brauw the runway model but its horrific on charlotte

13. Christine March 26, 2012 at 14:18 #

Not flattering at all. Let’s hope this was just a loan and she didn’t actually pay $$$ for this dress.

14. Christy March 26, 2012 at 14:29 #

Unfortunately I feel that she looks like she is on drugs or drunk. Do all the women in that family have the same facial expression? Charlotte is such a gorgeous girl she looks completely disheveled here.

15. Nat March 26, 2012 at 14:51 #

Geez, this is tragic. It looks WAY better without that…t-shirt/gilet/top (???), well whatever it is…but still…
    Chanel has been making the most hideous dresses in the past years. Too bad, considering its tradition.

16. TeaAtTwo March 26, 2012 at 17:37 #

I haven’t been impressed with Chanel couture (or most of Chanel ready to wear) for a while now.

17. Hannah Williams March 26, 2012 at 17:53 #

She should have worn gucci premiere, that’s all I can say.
    Also, she’s part of the Monaco Royal Family, so on this occasion I highly doubt she paid anything to look like this.

• noo March 27, 2012 at 11:33 #

yea, isn’t she the new face of gucci or something?

18. barefoot duchess March 26, 2012 at 18:10 #

non non non!! this is not flattering on her

19. Dolly March 26, 2012 at 18:15 #

Wow, she looks like she could be Albert’s wife, not niece, soooo ageing!

20. LOLA March 26, 2012 at 18:58 #

Seriously, i’m starting to question her taste level. I mean, the collection wasn’t great but i can see some beautiful and flattering dresses out of that. I don’t know why she choose the most unflattering dress of the collection.
    To me, she’s a beautiful girl but doesn’t have the allure to wear a Chanel dress. She always look to stiff in Chanel. Leave Chanel to your mom and to Diane darling.

But, you know, Karl is a friend of her family, particulary of her mother and Charlotte wore her first Chanel COuture dress a 3 or 5 so, she must have a sentimental affair with the house.

21. Maggy March 26, 2012 at 19:42 #

Wow, I’m seriously starting to feel fashion impaired after reading all of these comments. I don’t *love* the look, but it’s far from the worst I’ve ever seen, and I’m not a crazy Charlotte Casiraghi fan either…

22. Aline March 26, 2012 at 20:07 #

Judging by the expression on her face, she didn’t like it any better than us. I’d bet my money she was not the one who chose to wear it.

And seriously, this is an horrendous dress.

23. Tiffany Nicole March 26, 2012 at 20:57 #

I’m intrigued by the look. I think the sheer panel keeps it from being boxy because you can see the shape on tailoring of the bust line under it. It is interesting and draws attention for not being overly anything. It’s the opposite of the short read dress Naya Rivera (in Moschino) has on in a future post, which threw everything in your face (color, cut, ruffles, plunging back, busy neck line) and fell flat.

24. ramsay March 26, 2012 at 23:19 #

I guess I am among the very few people who actually like this look and I think Charlotte always look chic in Chanel – I don’t understand that much hate for this look when the top part was taken off as this became a very straight forward blue dress – And I have to say I like it more with the top on

• anemone March 27, 2012 at 08:38 #

I’m with you on that. I think she looks classy and very beautiful. And the dress, it’s different and interesting without being weird and I LOVE the colour on her. I don’t get why hardly anybody likes it

25. Tina March 27, 2012 at 01:23 #

Yikes. My eyes bulged a bit when I saw this. Very unflattering and badly-constructed. Agree with everything FC mentioned. Karl Lagerfeld’s designs are getting worse and worse.

26. conchitabocanegrita09 March 27, 2012 at 06:10 #

“And to think women pay hundreds of thousands of pounds/euros/dollars to look this bad”-FC

and I rest mt case to that..

27. Vidhya March 27, 2012 at 07:20 #

It might have been magical without the blue top and the ruffled hip thing. The fabric is so ethereal and the blue is just so true and beautiful! Sigh Chanel – with the lack of online shopping and pieces like this.. you are about to become a fashion dinosaur!

28. Ange March 27, 2012 at 09:29 #

Such a beautiful girl . Whoever told her that this dress looked good on her needs their head read.

29. Jess2 March 27, 2012 at 10:27 #

Removing the top section does improve the look but this is far from great. She isn’t selling it either

30. Shaina March 28, 2012 at 01:26 #

Clearly Karl had some extra fabric left when he created this gown. That would definitely explain the hip detail.

31. Jcky March 28, 2012 at 14:36 #

She look awkward, like ‘ i hate this dress, wrong choice !’