Samantha Cameron and Michelle Obama were both impeccably dressed as they stood alongside their powerful husbands for the official photo last night at the White House state dinner in Washington, DC.

The Prime Minister’s wife wore a dress by London-based Italian designer Alessandra Rich.

Sam’s gorgeous blue lace ¾-length-sleeve belted dress from the Spring 2012 collection was paired with black heels from Next.

The First Lady opted for a gown by British-born, American-based designer Georgina Chapman, by donning Marchesa.

Michelle’s off-the-shoulder silk gazar draped column teal gown was teamed with a stunning Tom Binns statement necklace.

This portrait neckline with a statement necklace is a familiar look for Mrs O, as she sported a similar look back in May last year for the Royal dinner.

I think they both look outstanding. I love the modern electric-blue gown on Sam and Mrs O looks so effortless, classic and regal.

On this occasion I couldn’t pick a favourite.

Can you?

Credit: AlessandraRich.com & Mary F. Calvert/ZUMAPRESS.com

Who Wore Raoul Better? Viola Davis or Kourtney Kardashian

Who Wore Raoul Better? Viola Davis or Kourtney Kardashian

Jenna Dewan-Tatum In Notte by Marchesa - ‘21 Jump Street’ LA Premiere

Jenna Dewan-Tatum In Notte by Marchesa – ‘21 Jump Street’ LA Premiere

48 Responses to Samantha Cameron In Alessandra Rich & Michelle Obama In Marchesa – White House State Dinner

1. Kennedy March 15, 2012 at 05:04 #

Michelle, definitely! And President Obama is looking handsome as well :) <– 10 years ago, no one thought they would be saying that about a president lol

2. Jeremy March 15, 2012 at 05:05 #

Mrs. O’s necklace is way too heavy for her. It kinda remind me of those Myanmar women with those gold heavy jewelry around their neck.

• Lara March 15, 2012 at 12:11 #

I agree. While I love the dress, my eyes went immediately to the necklace. It almost looks like her head is thrust forward by the weight of it.

• Tina March 15, 2012 at 16:46 #

3. Raquel March 15, 2012 at 05:09 #

SamCam, hands up. Michelle looks fantastic, but I’ve seen this look a hundred times before, from her and others. Samantha’s dress is refreshingly dfferent.

• noo March 15, 2012 at 15:07 #

i agree completely!

• taksi March 17, 2012 at 02:20 #

I agree. Did they coordinate? They both wore blue the other day as well.

4. mol March 15, 2012 at 05:14 #

They all look handsome, husbands included, but Samantha is my favorite.

5. vicky March 15, 2012 at 05:59 #

SC no doubt! (MO looks OK too but it’s SC that steals the spotlight, for me)

6. Alex March 15, 2012 at 06:10 #

I love the Alessandra Rich. I think it is more modern. Michelle is gorgeous too, but more conservative.

7. T from Sydney March 15, 2012 at 06:47 #

Sam wins hands down its just STUNNING!!!!!

Mrs O dress is beautiful but i just hate the neckless with the dress.

8. Mar March 15, 2012 at 06:49 #

I’d pick Michelle because of the stunning necklace. She looks fantastic as always. Plus I don’t like Samantha’s hair.

Love xx

9. Eliza March 15, 2012 at 07:03 #

Michelle wins for me. Her look is flawless. This was a state dinner and Samantha’s hair looks like she’s running errands for day. Her dress is okay but her styling let her down. In all the pictures I’ve seen of her, her hair looks the same – even for the royal wedding last year.

10. Kyriaki-Cyprus March 15, 2012 at 07:11 #

They both look great! I like Cam’s gown matches her eyes. Blue is her colour!

11. Emi March 15, 2012 at 07:41 #

I prefer Samantha Cameron, her dress is modern and beautiful. Michelle Obama’s dress is beautiful but not particularly interesting and the necklace is a bit too much with that dress. I would see it with a daytime outfit. I think that the two women are both very tall, but sometimes Michelle Obama has an unflattering posture, like she tries to look a bit less tall.

12. Bec March 15, 2012 at 07:43 #

I like SamCam better. Being from Aus I don’t know much about her…is she popular in the UK like Michelle is in the US?

13. Sophie March 15, 2012 at 07:44 #

SamCam’s dress is different not something you normally see a head of state wearing and for this she has a slight edge. However, Mrs O looks equally fantastic but she has worn this style of dress before. Both husbands also look dapper.

14. Joy Taylor March 15, 2012 at 08:13 #

Sorry neither are doing it for me. I usually love Marchesa, but on this occasion it is just okay for me. I much prefer the styling of the similar Ralph Lauren she wore in May.

15. Francy March 15, 2012 at 08:14 #

Definitely Samantha. She looks so modern and refreshing. I don’t like the upper part of Michelle’s dress, but I love the necklace

16. CreoleLady March 15, 2012 at 08:37 #

After going back and forth, I’m giving the edge to the FLOTUS. I think Ms Cameron’s hair and the leather belt make the look a little too casual for me. The dress looks like a maxi dress being worn to a get together, not a state/official dinner. The pattern is also a bit too close to reminding me of chintz. Thankfully, the streamlined simplicity and the thin belt counter that effect. What a great picture!

17. Manuel March 15, 2012 at 09:13 #

SamCam gives me a 70s Emmily Lou Harris vibe and its refreshing while Michelle looks is safe conservative with gorgeous statement AFrican inspired necklace

SamCam for me. I love the hair and makeup

18. CW March 15, 2012 at 09:28 #

Michelle hands down, really don’t like the high neck line on Sam Cam, doesn’t look evening at all.

19. couturecoco March 15, 2012 at 09:29 #

Michelle is definately the winner for me if nothing else for the extra polish and flawless fit. Sam looks exactly the same with a complete lack of styling. I don’t love that print and if only she had added a more special belt, I could think about forgiving the other things, I’ve seen her looking better.

• Betty Brandenburg March 15, 2012 at 11:44 #

It’s lace actually….I like the dress a lot although it doesn’t scream state dinner, does it?

I agree with you, though, for someone who is in the fashion business (or used to) she displays a curious lack of styling nous. I also think she always looks awkward, as if she’d really rather stayed at home with her children. She just looks a little awkward, or maybe she’s just shy.

• Dusty March 15, 2012 at 15:08 #

I agree with everything you said!

20. manja March 15, 2012 at 09:30 #

I like both ladies looks,but due to her bad posture I’ll go with SamCam this time.

21. Mahima March 15, 2012 at 12:17 #

Michelle Obama looks exactly the same as she did at the Royal Dinner except in blue. The same style of dress, same neckline, and same type of necklace.

• dee March 15, 2012 at 12:28 #

I noticed the bad posture too.

22. dee March 15, 2012 at 12:28 #

I think Sam should have worn her hair up and I don’t care for her dress. Michelle’s necklace is too heavy looking. I love her gown though.

23. bm March 15, 2012 at 12:47 #

I have another options for them. For Mrs. O, she should remove the necklace, coz the dress is stunning, that it doesn’t need another accessories. As for Sam, she should remove the tie-like from her dress, coz she reminds me of a junior high student. If they done that, i couldn’t pick the winner as you do.

24. Alina March 15, 2012 at 12:48 #

Michelle wins it for me.

25. Lee Ann March 15, 2012 at 13:06 #

Think they both are off: Sam cam’s belt is wrong: MO@s posture is awful and the necklace completely at odds with the dress and neckline

26. Rory March 15, 2012 at 13:15 #

Michelle! If you see the dress from different angles you definitely see how beautiful it is. SamCam looks pretty though.

27. Sabina March 15, 2012 at 13:16 #

They are both disappointing…Samantha’s print looks too peasant-y for such a format event, and Michelle ruins her look with that horrific necklace…very distasteful to me. But then, I have never been a fan of Michelle’s fashion, as I tend to disagree with her choice in accessories.

28. mm March 15, 2012 at 13:45 #

The FLOTUS and Prime Minister Cameron win for me

29. ami March 15, 2012 at 14:05 #

Sam’s dress looked better in Next’s presentation

30. Gail March 15, 2012 at 14:56 #

I actually like both dresses. However, I feel Sam’s dress would have been more suitable for a Cocktail party, not a formal event. I love Michelle’s statement necklace, it’s doing what it’s suppose to do, make a statement. I feel the necklace adds an extra flare of POW! to the ensemble. But as mentioned in earlier comments, I too think FLOTUS’ shoulders were ill-postured (is that a word?)

31. Dusty March 15, 2012 at 15:06 #

I prefer Sam Cam’s look, but is it just me, or is it not quite formal enough for the occasion? I know it’s full-length and lace, but the thing about Alessandra Rich dresses is that they manage to make very girly or very formal details look a bit sporty. This is what is so amazing about her designs, but I think they might have mislead Sam on this occasion. It rarely gets more formal than a White House state dinner. Michelle’s look is far more appropriate, with the amazing necklace adding some fashion pow.

32. Moxie March 15, 2012 at 16:32 #

Neither wins.

I don’t like the way the front of SamCam’s dress is twisted. You’d think she’d have straightened it before having pictures taken. The dress is lovely, but a little informal (despite the length) for a state dinner.

FLOTUS is lovely, but it is nothing new. The necklace is a little big.

33. Marybeth March 15, 2012 at 18:07 #

Mrs. O looks a bit like she hired out as a display rack in the necklace section of a cheap department store. It looks like a bunch of necklaceS piled on — perhaps to cover her cleavage? Not good.

Mrs. C’s dress is interesting and just fine, though I think wearing her hair up and sporting a touch (just a touch!) of sparkle in earrings would have
    brought the look up. In any case, SamCam wins this one hands down.

• Marybeth March 15, 2012 at 18:09 #

Oh! I should have added that on this occasion the men beat the ladies by a mile!

34. Lou March 15, 2012 at 18:49 #

Sam Cam wins! Fab look.

35. Tati M March 15, 2012 at 21:48 #

I really LOVE Samantha’s style. She is so modern and unpredictable

36. EmmaWoodhouse March 16, 2012 at 15:30 #

Michelle’s dress is quite deja vu, I don’t really like the neckline, and that over-cooked necklace is giving her bad posture. Samantha’s look is rather quirky but I much prefer it as it is fresh and original.

37. TeaAtTwo March 16, 2012 at 20:43 #

Michelle looked amazing on camera. I was pleased to see print worn on a formal occasion.

38. marie March 19, 2012 at 13:38 #

michelle!

39. TIffany March 28, 2012 at 04:43 #

Li Bing Bing wore the same dress as Samantha Cameron to the Oscars viewing party so maybe you can do a Who Wore it Better post

• Fashion Critic March 28, 2012 at 07:34 #

thanks. This is already on my list